• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Falsified Pastry Portal: Still Alive Official Thread of 1200 Microsoft Points

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header:

bannerdefault.jpg

What is Portal: Still Alive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Still_Alive#Portal:_Still_Alive

Portal: Still Alive was announced as an exclusive Xbox Live Arcade game at the 2008 E3 convention to be released on October 22, 2008 and will feature new levels and achievements.The additional content will be drawn from levels from the map pack based on "Portal: The Flash Version" created by We Create Stuff and will contain no additional story-related levels. According to Valve spokesman Doug Lombardi, Valve has been in discussion with Microsoft to bring Portal to Xbox Live Marketplace, but was limited by the amount of bandwidth that Microsoft is willing to allow for such content.

Date and Price

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/10/16/561877.aspx

GLaDOS is still alive, and coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday (Updated)

You are invited to return to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center this Wednesday, October 22 at 9 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PDT) via Xbox LIVE Arcade. Due to the unforeseen conclusion of your last visit, all necessary precautions have been taken to ensure that “Portal: Still Alive” is a sanitary, objective, and mostly non-lethal testing environment.

In addition to the original award winning first-person puzzle experience, Aperture Science is proud to provide 14 new challenge maps exclusive to Xbox LIVE Arcade. Six advanced maps will also be provided to help guide you along the way.

You are invited to return to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center this Wednesday, October 22 at 9 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PDT) via Xbox LIVE Arcade. Due to the unforeseen conclusion of your last visit, all necessary precautions have been taken to ensure that “Portal: Still Alive” is a sanitary, objective, and mostly non-lethal testing environment.

In addition to the original award winning first-person puzzle experience, Aperture Science is proud to provide 14 new challenge maps exclusive to Xbox LIVE Arcade. Six advanced maps will also be provided to help guide you along the way.

Though prior test subjects proved to be unstable and may have presented false information, Aperture Science is pleased to inform you that your cake is indeed waiting for you and that the Weighted Companion Cube misses you in your absence. Come visit them again for 1200 MS Points.

Special Feature: Play Portal: The Flash Version for Free

http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/

Previews:

IGN XBLA

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/920/920802p1.html

Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=261994

Video:

IGN XBLA

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14266556/vids_1.html

Screenshots:

portal-still-alive--20081016022125156_640w.jpg

portal-still-alive--20081016022133236_640w.jpg

portal-still-alive--20081016022145926_640w.jpg

portal-still-alive--20081016022151208_640w.jpg

Achievements:

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/10/15/561880.aspx

Go for the Gold

15G

Win a gold medal on a challenge map.

Out of the Blue

25G

Once you have control of both portals, only enter the orange portal.

Rat’s Tale

15G

Find all the Rat Man Dens.

Is Anyone There?

20G

Complete the game without ever taking a bullet.

Saw that one coming

5G

Cause a rocket sentry to destroy its own rocket when the rocket has been redirected back towards it.

The Camera Adds 10 Pounds

10G

Knock a turret over with a security camera.

Like a Rat

20G

Trap yourself in a test chamber so that GLaDOS has to help you continue.

Feeling like Floating

5G

Dissolve a turret.

Tests like Chicken

15G

Find the chicken’s test results.

Cupcake

10G

Beat 5 advanced chambers.

Fruitcake

25G

Beat 10 advanced chambers.

Vanilla Crazy Cake

35G

Beat all advanced chambers.

Reviews:

IGN XBLA

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/921/921819p1.html

9.2: Outstanding, IGN Editor's Choice Award

These puzzles are pretty damn good. But I still don't get why they have to charge for a free map pack.

Hopefully they kept the ending in there as well, that is some awesome shit.

EDIT: The bullet achievement! I can't wait until you guys find the bullet hall of death.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Because it's the whole game, not just the map pack.

Like a Rat

20G

Wow, I had no idea this was possible.

DarkJC

Sounds like Valve would've wanted it higher to distribute the full game over XBLA as well, but Microsoft wouldn't allow something THAT big. 600 MB was a compromise.

EDIT: Never mind I'm wrong.

I see that IGN spilled the beans on one of the things people will talk about this release... I'm shocked it didn't leak until now :D

IGN said:
at more than 600MB in size, it's far and away the largest game on Xbox Live Arcade

We can actually say that it's the first Xbox Live Arcade that Xbox 360 Arcade owners can't buy, because it doesn't fit in the bundled memory unit.

Here's IGN article: http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/920/920802p1.html

Edit: ouch, didn't see the other post ^^'

PSGames

I never got a chance to play it so this is right up my alley. Had no idea what this thread was about with the title though. :lol

I don't like playing games on PC, in fact my computer was built weaker for this reason and to save money at the time. Hearing all the praise for this game had my interest sparked, but I didn't want to pay for the full Orange Box for consoles when all I wanted was Portal. This XBLA release is perfect for me! Day 1 for sure.

Only problem is I don't know when I'll get around to playing it, with LBP the day before, Gears2, and Valkyria Chronicles being released a little after.

nofi

Gryphter said:
Only problem is I don't know when I'll get around to playing it, with LBP the day before, Gears2, and Valkyria Chronicles being released a little after.

You'll get through Portal in about 5 hours. It's a remarkable ride, though.

Like a Rat

20G

The game can figure out when you're trapped like that? Does that work in the original version, and if so, what happens?

Or is this as simple as dropping a cube you need so that she has to spawn a new one?

We can actually say that it's the first Xbox Live Arcade that Xbox 360 Arcade owners can't buy, because it doesn't fit in the bundled memory unit.

There are quite a few games on the XBLA service already that cannot be played on a 256mb memory card, some recent examples are Duke3D and Castle Crashers.

This is the first XBLA that will require a hard drive.

guise

Holy crap this flew under the radar, i had no idea it was out so soon.

Screw WaW, i was unimpressed by the multiplayer beta. This will tide me over till dead space hits

I don't want to pay 1200 points for it, but I will. You win again Valve. Actually I borrowed the Orange Box(360) from a friend, so this will be my own digital copy of Portal to have forever.

How much is the stand alone version on Steam? $20?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
600MB? Looks like I'll have to be making some space then - and they broke the size limit by so much too huh...

I never bought the Orange Box, and beat Portal by a friend, so this is actually perfect for me - plus it has more than the original o steam for a cheaper price too...

Keep soaking up that Valve loving MS, because I will for this and Left 4 Dead!

senahorse

Dead Man Typing said:
How much is the stand alone version on Steam? $20?

$20, though you can get the whole map pack from the flash version of Portal for free as well as a new fan made story-based sequel, Portal Prelude, again for free.

Notorious_Roy said:
Pff another 1200 game. *sad

Yeah fuck paying good money for games like portal. You're everything that's wrong with everything -- ever -- (even that shit over there)

I mean the company who made this obviously didn't work hard enough on it, or make a game good enough to justify that kind of price.

LOL THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE. i am going to post this all over the internet until you're sick of it. And I eventually ruin the truth behind the cake for everyone who hasn't finished Portal yet.

Visualante said:
LOL THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE. i am going to post this all over the internet until you're sick of it. And I eventually ruin the truth behind the cake for everyone who hasn't finished Portal yet.

I think by now everyone knows that. Luckily, I beat Portal before people spammed it all over the Interwebs.

Rlan

Kulock said:
The game can figure out when you're trapped like that? Does that work in the original version, and if so, what happens?

Or is this as simple as dropping a cube you need so that she has to spawn a new one?

I did this in Portal Prelude. Open up some time thing and lock yourself behind it. Once I did the voices started telling me how stupid I was :lol

soldat7

Jack Scofield said:
Portal is an extremely overrated game, but even I'm tempted by the $15 price tag. It's a steal.

Portal is one of the few games on this planet that ISN'T overrated.

Half-Life 2 on the other hand...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Portal: Still Alive IGN XBLA Review:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/921/921819p1.html

10 Presentation
Sleek, minimalist menus and easy navigation atop a stark, modern design. Plus developer commentary and easy access to new content.

9.0 Graphics
Sure, every room looks fairly similar, but they’re all pretty. And everything runs super-smoothly on XBLA.

10 Sound
Excellent voice acting, great ambient music and the best original song ever in a game.

9.0 Gameplay
Just plain fun. The new levels lack some of the original’s personality, however.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
The main game is fairly short, and many have already played it, but the extra levels will keep things fresh long after.

Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I never picked up Orange Box (already own HL2 and Ep 1, was never going to buy TF2 for anything but PC), and was totally pissed Portal wasn't released on its own for 360 like it was for Steam.

This is a godsend. Finally I get to pick up Portal and play through it. :D

trihunter

Why can't we just get the DLC for Orange Box owners? Would be nice. I have tons of other games on my waiting list before I can get to this one. All work and no cake make something something something...

Top Bottom