• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FDA just approved the first prescription video game

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

That’s the landmark decision from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which is authorizing doctors to prescribe the iPhone and iPad game for kids between ages eight and 12 years old with ADHD, after it underwent seven years of clinical trials that studied over 600 children to figure out whether a game could actually make a difference.

200.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Spooky. I have ADD (which I guess is all just ADHD now?) and they had a great prescription for us when I was a kid, too. It was a stimulant called ritalin.

I guess now I can tell me parents I was right when I told them videogames made me focus better. :goog_lol:

Spooky. I have ADD (which I guess is all just ADHD now?) and they had a great prescription for us when I was a kid, too. It was a stimulant called ritalin.

I guess now I can tell me parents I was right when I told them videogames made me focus better. :goog_lol:

BronzeIgnorantKillifish-size_restricted.gif

I'm definitely against the use of medication for learning disabilities. I personally know people who were affected pretty badly by Ritalin and concerta.

Silvawuff

Eeey this is pretty good news, I think! I've always felt drugs should be the last resort, so another option to help kids is good in my book. However, I wonder how this will play out? Remember how fidget spinners blew up as a distraction to increase focus, but became the main distraction themselves to the point schools were banning them?

I could suggest the work by Thomas Szasz, like The Myth of Mental Illness. Or even Ronald Laing's stuff. Believe me, all these labels put on people are invented to exploit and control them, and can lead to self-fulfilling prophecies. Even if there are legitimate problems, you cannot drug them out of existence without looking at one's consciousness. I've seen many people change when they realized that their "neurosis" was actually a reaction to a toxic situation.

There's also this documentary that exposes the pharmaceutical industry:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Top Bottom