• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

Making progress compared to your previous Laura video, yeah. Handful of general notes since I don't know much about her intricacies when playing as her:

- Look into which of Birdie's moves are punishable. There were a good few that you left on the table when you did block them.
- Examples: the sporadic Bull Head, his diving slide (down-forward HP) when not at max range, his shoulder bash (forward HP) and EX Bull Horn.
- Need to refine your anti-airing; I know it's difficult on Laura, but the Birdie got too much freedom with his jump-ins regardless.
- On that note: you were jumping around a little too much yourself given how good Birdie's cr. MP is, but I noticed you typically tried in anticipation of him doing something.
- The rhythm of your button presses could use more variety; you usually kept the same 'x amount of hits' style of pattern.
- To clarify: no tick throw attempts, nothing like a shimmy to try and whiff punish / CC a careless button press, no slight deviations in a block string to catch him off-guard, et cetera.
- Could be wrong about this, but I feel you weren't really using V-Trigger activation for extending combos yet or to make unsafe moves not punishable.
- You backed off quite a bit when the can was present. If you're allowed to, walk forward and block it as soon as possible. Intentionally hit it too if he likes to go for the leap grab afterwards.

So, since SFV shit the bed on having helpful tutorials, I guess I have to go to youtube... has anyone done a good series trying to teach people the basics?

Well, I'm the average old school SF2/Alpha player who knows how to play shoto characters and understands concepts like zoning and footsies. But I have no idea what it actually means to option select, when to use V-trigger, what to do on wake up, how to deal with certain matchups, etc.

So I technically know how to play, but literally have no idea what I'm doing.
Option selects are not too relevant in this game with how Capcom is actively trying to cut down their uses or outright removes them, so ignore them for now. Regarding basics:

- Offense, Defense and Throws.
- A training routine how to practice anti-airing. Said channel also has a really in-depth video on footsies, if you want to brush up your knowledge.
- Official character guides that explains the general utility behind their tools and more.
- "Once you start winning consistently online..."
- This channel also has a bunch of educational videos covering various subjects.
- A 5-minute fundamentals video on how to use Training Mode.
- Daigo's thoughts / notes on "the 6 Main Skills for Fighting Game Players."

Hopefully this'll suffice.

markwaters

Neo Member

Looking much better! Crab Milk Mickey covered the major stuff, but I'd like to add:
- The lack of hit confirms/finishing your combos is really hurting you. Laura lives and dies by her setups, meaties, resets, and general pressure off of completed sequences (especially post LP bolt charge). By not completing your combos, you give your opponent the impression that they can take unnecessary risks because the consequences are not severe enough to deter them. This is the biggest thing I think you should work on as a Laura player. Even if it's just into LP bolt charge, make sure you're not leaving damage/pressure on the table.

- I really, really love the use of EX thunder clap as a tool for advancing -- especially on a fortress like Birdie, but there are a few times I think other options would have been better. Try to rein it in and mind your distance/spacing a bit so you're not wasting too much meter. At full screen, you're better off just charging a 2-hit or 3-hit clap if you want to advance behind it and/or want to catch Birdie doing something foolish.

- Be real careful about throwing out volty line (V-skill overhead) up close. It's -7 on block. It's a free meal to someone who's wise to it. If you can space it out further, it's a useful tool, but it can get you killed if Birdie has a V-trigger on deck and you do it up close.

- As Crab pointed out, you're not making use of V-trigger, but I imagine that'll come with time. You hit the st.MP > st.MK target combo a few times; that's the perfect time to use it (link into cr.HP or st.HP xx EX clap > HP thunder bolt for big damage and corner push).

- Your anti-airs are a bit shaky at times, but when you do hit them, they're usually very clean. You even do dash under resets a couple times. That makes me think you know exactly what to do, but you're second guessing. Believe in your choices and keep it up!

Overall, it's looking good! Watching you advance with thunder claps gave me the idea to try to incorporate that into my Laura game more, so thanks! I think once you get a mind for hit confirming, punishing and get a better handle on Laura's spacing (you whiffed a lot of normal throws in these matches), you'll be well on your way.

Numb

good games cindi
don't know what happened at the end.
You barely use vtrigger but win wenever you do them and the mixups

Yeah. Street Fighter V is starting to really click. Still getting used to some ranges, so the play is still a bit sloppy with the occasional lights whiff, but am I really enjoying the full range of systems the game has to offer. Buff Laura's command throw range please.

GGs!

http://youtu.be/Wyu6-9zRGbk

You have a relentless onslaught and I have a feeling if you played a better player you would be punished handedly. Try to cool it.

I should have done HP bolt when you tried jumping out of the corner. Lesson learned.

Numb

Happens alot actually especially with the rolls. Not safe
You could try your punishes to see what of the things i do can be punished
I just jab jab to see if i can punish things i don't don't about

Numb

She still won't click for me. Watching all the Marn streams to get the mindset.

Aware of the button mashing and actually tried to hold back more than usual after watching that James chen vid. Still press too much it seems ;_;

To be truthful, I think you would be a better fit as a Rashid.

Get used to the concept of turns. I make a move, you a move. When I do a bolt (elbow special), and it blocks or whiffs, my turn is over. There is nothing I should do to you unless I have time to recover and you're not doing anything. By not doing anything you spend your turn and give me the opportunity to mount a counter assault. While I'm doing a combo be aware that it's my turn. When I try to hit you and I get countered, notice I'm not going to try it anymore. Things takes diligence and practice. You have to tell yourself,"I'm not going to hit buttons" and act on it.

Treat turns it's a turn based rpg or a chess game except on speed. Also remember it's a cooperative game and plays out like a dance. A dance cannot function with a partner. This also factor into mutual respect.

I'm telling you this but it's something I try to tell myself too. It has helped improve.

Numb

Never even considered Rashid. Play Vega cos i always did plus grapplers, Mika,Gief,Birdie,Alex etc interestd in even if my playstyle is the opposite. Play Tager in BB and Pot in GG. Always up to command grab folk. Churning spd when it's their turn and if they mess up slightly puts the pressure of turns off slightly. Much more so than the dance Vega has to do. Although you need to get in first with grapplers to threaten with spd in the first place so the dance is very much still there. Gotta keep improving. Skipping most of SF4 doesn't help either and are fresh from the start with SFV

Numb

More on turns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMpeMaU564g

Things I still need to work on:

1. Anti-air. During our session I got a few in. Need more consistency. Big weakness.

2. Punishing. You whiffed a Critical Art and I didn't use an EX command grab because I'm a dumb dumb.

3. Work on throw range and command grab range.

Haven't seen this floechart

You also got me dizzy alot(thanks to my mashing) and should do some training into combos. Seen a Laura do full charge HP fireball into forward HP Hp ending with the sky grab

Haven't seen this floechart

You also got me dizzy alot(thanks to my mashing) and should do some training into combos. Seen a Laura do full charge HP fireball into forward HP Hp ending with the sky grab

I tried to do that but you ended up blocking my f HP.

It's another good punish though. Thanks for the reminder.

Numb

Yeah, I know. I'll work on it!

I suggested Rashid because your style is in your face. Cammy would have been my second choice, but it seems you're about grapplers.
good thing mika plays close range and in your face too

expect a mika next session

200_s.gif

feeling the vibes

markwaters

Neo Member

Hahaha! Indeed.

I would rather take a thousand random Ken SRKs than accidentally get hit by a single Mika irish whip. It's so infuriating for some reason! And it happens a lot even when I'm expecting it.

Cindi -- re: dizzy combos, I've been labbing with Laura trying to find the most optimal ones, and I'd be happy to share my findings. A lot of the Laura stuff out there right now is old, suboptimal, or VERY specific and setup-oriented, so I've been mostly on my own in terms of optimizing the basic stuff. Is everyone still planning on playing later?

Ironfist -- Cindi's right about you going a bit crazy and how unsafe it is, but quite honestly, I think that if you want to play that brash, unpredictable style and still grapple, then Mika is absolutely your character. Mika can definitely play crazy and get away with it if she calculates her risks properly.

Numb

Hahaha! Indeed.

I would rather take a thousand random Ken SRKs than accidentally get hit by a single Mika irish whip. It's so infuriating for some reason! And it happens a lot even when I'm expecting it.

Cindi -- re: dizzy combos, I've been labbing with Laura trying to find the most optimal ones, and I'd be happy to share my findings. A lot of the Laura stuff out there right now is old, suboptimal, or VERY specific and setup-oriented, so I've been mostly on my own in terms of optimizing the basic stuff. Is everyone still planning on playing later?

Ironfist -- Cindi's right about you going a bit crazy and how unsafe it is, but quite honestly, I think that if you want to play that brash, unpredictable style and still grapple, then Mika is absolutely your character. Mika can definitely play crazy and get away with it if she calculates her risks properly.
Thanks for the advice man
Cindi stop r.mika is bae

till guile that is guile is real bae

all this mika slander
glad someone knows what's up

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Making progress compared to your previous Laura video, yeah. Handful of general notes since I don't know much about her intricacies when playing as her:

- Look into which of Birdie's moves are punishable. There were a good few that you left on the table when you did block them.
- Examples: the sporadic Bull Head, his diving slide (down-forward HP) when not at max range, his shoulder bash (forward HP) and EX Bull Horn.
- Need to refine your anti-airing; I know it's difficult on Laura, but the Birdie got too much freedom with his jump-ins regardless.
- On that note: you were jumping around a little too much yourself given how good Birdie's cr. MP is, but I noticed you typically tried in anticipation of him doing something.
- The rhythm of your button presses could use more variety; you usually kept the same 'x amount of hits' style of pattern.
- To clarify: no tick throw attempts, nothing like a shimmy to try and whiff punish / CC a careless button press, no slight deviations in a block string to catch him off-guard, et cetera.
- Could be wrong about this, but I feel you weren't really using V-Trigger activation for extending combos yet or to make unsafe moves not punishable.
- You backed off quite a bit when the can was present. If you're allowed to, walk forward and block it as soon as possible. Intentionally hit it too if he likes to go for the leap grab afterwards.

Option selects are not too relevant in this game with how Capcom is actively trying to cut down their uses or outright removes them, so ignore them for now. Regarding basics:

- Offense, Defense and Throws.
- A training routine how to practice anti-airing. Said channel also has a really in-depth video on footsies, if you want to brush up your knowledge.
- Official character guides that explains the general utility behind their tools and more.
- "Once you start winning consistently online..."
- This channel also has a bunch of educational videos covering various subjects.
- A 5-minute fundamentals video on how to use Training Mode.
- Daigo's thoughts / notes on "the 6 Main Skills for Fighting Game Players."

Hopefully this'll suffice.

Late reply, but thanks. :)

DunpealD

Mind expounding? I only ever do LP bolt after a hit confirm.

That's what I meant. You can either do 2 x st.LP or 2 x st.LK into LP Bolt. Every time you miss it and the opponent blocks, you lose opportunity in offense and put yourself into disadvantage. Which is a big turnaround, because Lauras close quarter defense is horrid like all grapplers( maybe except Mika because of her V-Reversal).

You also need better V-Trigger usage. Raw activation is a waste of a turn extender + hit confirm, because it turns things like all target combos into your advantage.
Also you can look at this Frame data which also has knockdown values and see what you can do after a throw.

Top Bottom