• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Went to the musuem some years ago with friends. We were three 20 years old feeling like 5 years old all over again for an entire afternoon. THe amount of time (and money is that shop!) and I could spent there is absurd.

Favorite ? Hard to tell. But I just LOVE Proco Rosso. Nausica is god like too.

GCX

I mean, I don't think he's gonna start putting out trash but I think he's past his prime.
Well everyone peaks at some point so you may very well be right. I mean the reason why he did Princess Mononoke instead of some other movie about a bug or something was because Toshio Suzuki told him he'd soon be too old make movies like that. And that was over 15 years ago.

But yeah we'll see, I'm just happy we'll get at least one more movie from both Takahata and Miyazaki.

watkinzez

Went to the musuem some years ago with friends. We were three 20 years old feeling like 5 years old all over again for an entire afternoon. THe amount of time (and money is that shop!) and I could spent there is absurd.

I'll be going next year, will be relying on my friends to drag me away from that store before I spend waay too much.

Shimesaba

I'll be going next year, will be relying on my friends to drag me away from that store before I spend waay too much.
You should be relying on them to not even let you cross the threshold, the conversion is probably 1 minute - 1000 yen at least and that's if you have good self-control.

The Ghibli museum is amazing. My favorite part was Piccolo S.P.A. (named for the repair shop in Porco Rosso), where they've covered several walls in paintings and storyboards from their old films. Worth the trip for that room alone.

Two weeks in Tokyo cost me twice the initial budget. Thanks god I was already broke when I was in the musuem shop. I swear I could have bought $2000+ of stuff there. Porco's plane miniature, Nausica 1:1 rifle replica, a billion tiny little Totorro/Kiki stuff and plush and...

I think Howl's Moving Castle is crazily underrated. Yes, I can appreciate that the plot collapses in on itself towards the end, but it's so unbelievably gorgeous that I can forgive it anything. Mononoke is the only other Ghibli film that can come close to its visual splendor.

GCX

I think Howl's Moving Castle is crazily underrated. Yes, I can appreciate that the plot collapses in on itself towards the end, but it's so unbelievably gorgeous that I can forgive it anything. Mononoke is the only other Ghibli film that can come close to its visual splendor.
It's one of the best-looking animated movie ever made.

I mean the attention to detail was just on a whole another level:

L5xy3.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
One thing I completely adore as a Ghibli fan that nobody's mentioned yet is the set of Japanese blu-ray covers. Block color with the title in white lettering in the same font as the original poster/film release, and a silhouette, also in white, of an iconic image from the film.

Here's Totoro:

Picking a favorite Ghibli film is difficult.. I usually say Kiki if someone asks me. Nobody really expects it, I think a lot of people overlook it as a simple kid's movie. (That would be Ponyo.)

I'd also like to see Kokurikozaka Kara added to the OP, saw it in Tokyo last summer and it was really beautiful, maybe not as deep as some Ghibli films but beautiful.

I love totoro so much that it's tempting to spend the $80 to import it.

Moaradin

Nice timing on this thread. I've been watching a lot of the movies for the first time the last few days.

Currently I've watched Nausicaa, Laputa, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. All of them in order of release.

I loved all of them so far, but Princess Mononoke stands out the most for me.

panda21

Poppy hill was kind of ok but not really that good. The subject matter is... weird. Its definitely the worst of all the ones I have seen. (I havent seen Earthsea).

Its definitely a film so you should probably add it to the OP

Fabrik

Banned
One of the most memorable scenes for me is in Ponyo, the wave running sequence. The energy and the joy in the animation, the valkyriesque symphonic music, so exhilarating.

Adamm

0l4VF.jpg

Worth every penny!

Totoro, grave of the fireflies & up from poppy hill pre- ordered!

Still waiting for spirited away & mononoke though :(

Meier

The best. My favorite is Whisper of the Heart followed by My Neighbor Totoro, but beyond that.. it just gets too difficult. The Porco Rosso sequel is about my most anticipated film around...hopefully it comes to fruition.

Adamm

What's the damage?

I was solely tempted to buy those at some point, but the price is nigh on extortionate if you want to buy the entire collection.

About $80 each + $20 shipping so about $600ish so far :D

When the collection is done it'll be over $1000

I live in UK so exchange rates have screwed me over a bit

Blader

They or Disney? It's technically not, and that's what should matter in the OP anyway. I just think it'd be better to go with non-Ghibli for categorical purposes, anyhow.

Both, I think? It gets the Ghibli branding in the US and I'm guessing it does in Japan too since it's following the same blu-ray cover scheme as the other Ghibli films.

Laputa is a terrible name if you speak Spanish. I got a weird look when I asked in a store for it.

Spirited Away is stil my favorite.

Kazzy

About $80 each + $20 shipping so about $600ish so far :D

When the collection is done it'll be over $1000

I live in UK so exchange rates have screwed me over a bit

As do I, and that total is absolute madness! Dedication.

I wish I could justify it to myself, but I just can't.

duckroll

Man, it's pretty depressing. For the most part it just gets worse and worse as you scroll down the OP, starting from the middle. Whisper of the Heart is the best Ghibli movie anyway. Too bad the director is no longer around. :(

injurai

Banned
I would watch a Ghibli movie over anything else if given the chance. One day I will have to go to Japan to see the museum.

Not sure If I even have a favorite, but here are my top 3

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

codhand

Man, it's pretty depressing. For the most part it just gets worse and worse as you scroll down the OP, starting from the middle.

Nothing about these films is depressing. If post Whispers Ghibli films depress you, than I envy your disposition.

Maybe it was because I was watching it with British dubs, but I thought it was funny how Arrietty really wanted to be western or European in setting, but then there would be random Japanese things in the movie that pulled you back and reminded you it was a Japanese film.

Chopsticks, for example. Sliding doors, a random bamboo forest. It was funny to me, haha.

BTW, I have Nausicaa arriving today.

It's one of the best-looking animated movie ever made.

I mean the attention to detail was just on a whole another level:

L5xy3.jpg

My art teacher pointed out that the colors where so agressive in the introduction, it ruined the movie for me. All that orange and fushia. It's somehow true that this one is particular vivid compared to the perfect tons and alchemy of colors used in the others

Nothing about these films is depressing. If post Whispers Ghibli films depress you, than I envy your disposition.

There's a noticeable drop in quality following Spirited Away that Ghibli has never really recovered from. I have hopes for Takahata's Legend of the Bamboo Cutter though!

Maybe it was because I was watching it with British dubs, but I thought it was funny how Arrietty really wanted to be western or European in setting, but then there would be random Japanese things in the movie that pulled you back and reminded you it was a Japanese film.

Chopsticks, for example. Sliding doors, a random bamboo forest. It was funny to me, haha.

BTW, I have Nausicaa arriving today.

Arrietty is set in Tokyo.

survivor

Banned
I want Takahata to make another movie. The guy is a genius and understands how to convey human feelings and emotions on a whole different level.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There's a lot to be depressed about in post-Whisper Ghibli movies. Mainly they're just not very good. :(

Howl's Moving Castle is super depressing because it was going to be directed by a fresh new director who's talent was (and still is) still with him -- Mamoru Hosoda. Instead the senile old men of Ghibli fired him for not conforming to their rigid and outdated standards and senile old man Miyazaki directed the movie and we got, well, Howl's Moving Castle.

codhand

There's a noticeable drop in quality following Spirited

Weren't the much older ones about eight frames per second? We must be talking story and content, and even then people are eschatological when it comes to discussing recent Ghibli, there is a distinct rose colored lens aspect to these claims.

Spirited Away is hard to top in terms of its scope, media hype/attention etc, and even still the claims being made here are that they peaked prior to that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Weren't the much older ones about eight frames per second? We must be talking story and content, and even then people are eschatological when it comes to discussing recent Ghibli, there is a distinct rose colored lens aspect to these claims.

Spirited Away is hard to top in terms of its scope, media hype/attention etc, and even still the claims being made here are that they peaked prior to that.
Uh, the newer ones aren't animated at any higher frames per second either, lol. It has nothing to do with nostalgia -- the quality of Ghibli's output and especially Miyazaki's has tanked the past several years.

Do you really, really believe that Ghibli has the resources to be producing both a major Miyazaki film and a major Takahata film, both slated for 2013? They haven't even mentioned that much on either show, and there isn't any sort of announcement or tease.

I don't know if they'll actually be able to get both films out next year - that'd be rather difficult - but they've said they're trying. Quoting Junichi Nishioka:

Unfortunately Ghibli does not release a new film this year, but Miyazaki and Takahata are making new feature films now. The two of them are making it hard though, I do not know whether they will be completed or not, because it is the first time to make big budget films at the same time since Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies.
In this state, Ghibli's staff members concentrate on production. There is still more then one year until the release date though. I think that we can show you these films next year in some way. If cannot complete it next year, Ghibli must be dissolved. (laughs) Ghibli must do it by all means next year, because we do not release a film this year. Hayao Miyazaki mentioned in Cut magazine, "I'm sorry but I bet all of Ghibli on this film."

duckroll

I don't know if they'll actually be able to get both films out next year - that'd be rather difficult - but they've said they're trying. Quoting Junichi Nishioka:

Do you really believe anything Ghibli says in interviews these days though? It seems they say a lot of bullshit. That's not to say they don't believe the bullshit they're saying, but since I'm not drinking their kool aid, I'll believe it when there's an actual press release and trailer. :p

codhand

Uh, the newer ones aren't animated at any higher frames per second either, lol. It has nothing to do with nostalgia -- the quality of Ghibli's output and especially Miyazaki's has tanked the past several years.

Not gonna let a FMA fan tell me recent Ghibli sucks. I can conceed post Spirited it might not have the grandeur, but they're still good, not depressing, and not tanking.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Not gonna let a FMA fan tell me recent Ghibli sucks.
The fuck? I'm not even a big FMA fan -- I like the world/universe and some of the animation in both series. I'm not a dedicated fan or anything.

So childish. I expect an apology.

Do you really believe anything Ghibli says in interviews these days though? It seems they say a lot of bullshit. That's not to say they don't believe the bullshit they're saying, but since I'm not drinking their kool aid, I'll believe it when there's an actual press release and trailer. :p

I can't say I've followed Ghibli interviews too closely, but I don't see anything particularly unbelievable about these comments. We do know at least vaguely what Miyazaki and Takahata's next films are going to be, so they've got to be in some level of production. Ghibli's got to be working on something if they want to keep paying their employees!

duckroll

I can't say I've followed Ghibli interviews too closely, but I don't see anything particularly unbelievable about these comments. We do know at least vaguely what Miyazaki and Takahata's next films are going to be, so they've got to be in some level of production. Ghibli's got to be working on something if they want to keep paying their employees!

But Takahata's "next film" has been this project for how many years now? It always gets passed over in favor of more commercially viable stuff. Miyazaki is working on a big WW2-era biopic, which we know for certain is already storyboarded and in production. That hasn't been announced yet, but it is much more likely to be the 2013 film. I don't see how it's possible that there will be another movie made at the same time, unless Takahata's Bamboo Cutter is a 30 minute short feature and they do a double-bill.

Top Bottom