• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

GCX

Do you really believe anything Ghibli says in interviews these days though? It seems they say a lot of bullshit. That's not to say they don't believe the bullshit they're saying, but since I'm not drinking their kool aid, I'll believe it when there's an actual press release and trailer. :p
We know that Miyazaki's new movie started full production in June 2011. The estimated release is summer 2013 but delay is certainly possible.

Tale of the Bamboo Cutter entered full production in January 2012. It's being made by a smaller team than Miyazaki's movie. It might be ready for summer 2013 but it'll probably get delayed.

But both of them are in full production. That is a fact.

Ultimadrago

Have yet to watch (but will eventually):

Gauche the Cellist

Only Yesterday

Ocean Waves

Pom Poko

My Neighbors the Yamadas

Tales from Earthsea (I've heard..."not such good" things)

Have watched and do not care for:

Whisper of the Heart

Cat Returns

Howl's Moving Castle

Ponyo

The Secret World of Arrietty

The rest range from "fine enough" to "great".

duckroll

We know that Miyazaki's new movie started full production in June 2011. The estimated release is summer 2013 but delay is certainly possible.

Tale of the Bamboo Cutter entered full production in January 2012. It's being made by a smaller team than Miyazaki's movie. It might be ready for summer 2013 but it'll probably get delayed.

But both of them are in full production. That is a fact.

But Ghibli has also never been able to pull of dual production lines like this before successfully. That is also a fact!

GCX

But Ghibli has also never been able to pull of dual production lines like this before successfully. That is also a fact!
Well, yeah it's true if we exclude Totoro/Fireflies dual release and that put the studio in a pretty tough situation.

Both of the movies probably won't be released next year, I'm a little surprised if they do. But they are still in the production even if it hasn't happened successfully before.

duckroll

Well, yeah it's true if we exclude Totoro/Fireflies dual release and that put the studio in a pretty tough situation.

Both of the movies probably won't be released next year, I'm a little surprised if they do. But they are still in the production even if it hasn't happened successfully before.

But I never disagreed that they were in production. Just that I am extremely skeptical that they will BOTH see the light of day next year, when we haven't seen anything from either yet. It just feels unlikely to me.

GCX

But I never disagreed that they were in production. Just that I am extremely skeptical that they will BOTH see the light of day next year, when we haven't seen anything from either yet. It just feels unlikely to me.
I don't disagree, and even from financial standpoint it wouldn't really make sense to have Takahata and Miyazaki cannibalizing each other.

But I'm sure at least one of them is going to get released next year just to make sure the Ghibli isn't going bankrupt. Two years without new releases and two big movies in production would leave a big hole in the studio's account.

0l4VF.jpg

Worth every penny!

Totoro, grave of the fireflies & up from poppy hill pre- ordered!

Still waiting for spirited away & mononoke though :(

Sorry, noob question but could I run those on a North American Blu-ray player (my PS3)? I absolutely want these badly...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, noob question but could I run those on a North American Blu-ray player (my PS3)? I absolutely want these badly...

Just as an FYI, Laputa, Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo, and Nausicaa are all available on Blu-ray in the US as well.

I have no idea how the quality compares, but the US versions are sure to be WAY cheaper.

Anyway, Nausicaa is still my personal favorite overall, though that at least partially has to do with actually growing up with it, but I generally consider Only Yesterday to be the best anime film ever.

Futureman

I was looking through the releases in the OP and noticed this. Ghibli released two theatrical releases on the same exact day? what was the reason for that?

I don't disagree, and even from financial standpoint it wouldn't really make sense to have Takahata and Miyazaki cannibalizing each other.

But I'm sure at least one of them is going to get released next year just to make sure the Ghibli isn't going bankrupt. Two years without new releases and two big movies in production would leave a big hole in the studio's account.

This is a likely scenario. I'm just hoping that Miyazaki screws up the production of his film so that Ghibli has no choice but to realize Bamboo Cutter, because I have more faith in Takahata making a good film at this point, even though it's been 13 years since his last one.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Just as an FYI, Laputa, Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo, and Nausicaa are all available on Blu-ray in the US as well.

I have no idea how the quality compares, but the US versions are sure to be WAY cheaper.
The US releases all have problems, different problems but problems nonetheless. :/ Disney is lame. I'd recommend the HK release for Laputa at least, as the US release has dubtitles.

If one has the cash to spring, JP releases are definitely the way to go.

I generally consider Only Yesterday to be the best anime film ever.
Yay, another Only Yesterday appreciator!

Have you seen Gauche the Cellist? Another Takahata masterpiece.

tuffy

I was looking through the releases in the OP and noticed this. Ghibli released two theatrical releases on the same exact day? what was the reason for that?
It was a double feature. Totoro was thought to be too risky to be released on its own, so the "educational" Fireflies was made and the two were shown back-to-back.

Short length ≠ quality of immersion and replayability. Gauche may be around an hour long, but it's compact and perfect to watch on a moment's notice. Haven't seen Only Yesterday, though.

Kazzy

It was a double feature. Totoro was thought to be too risky to be released on its own, so the "educational" Fireflies was made and the two were shown back-to-back.

You'd think the opposite to be true, Fireflies doesn't really sell itself as the quintessential movie experience.

I... don't disagree?

Gauche is a perfect movie, imo.
This is Actual Shocking News™: me and Pizzaroll found something to agree on.

Perfect as something might be, though, being a little pearl doesn't provide as much mendaciousness as something greater and perhaps dirtier. I like films that take risks, anyway, and this film was pretty straightforward for Takahata.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is Actual Shocking News™: me and Pizzaroll found something to agree on.

Perfect as something might be, though, being a little pearl doesn't provide as much mendaciousness as something greater and perhaps dirtier. I like films that take risks, anyway, and this film was pretty straightforward for Takahata.
We also agree that Dezaki is Anime Jesus!

Cat Party

tumblr_ll3vn7PPft1qehmh1o1_500.gif

Love this movie. All the characters are so captivating.

I wasn't paying close enough attention to the box, as I tried to watch this initially with my kids (6 and 3 at the time) who love Ponyo, Spirited Away, Totoro, etc. Like 10 minutes in and there's dismemberment and decapitation. Probably should have noticed this one is PG-13, lol.

tuffy

You'd think the opposite to be true, Fireflies doesn't really sell itself as the quintessential movie experience.
Since Fireflies was based on a well-known book with educational value, school boards would pick it to show their students. And since Miyazaki's pet project Totoro was part of the package, that guaranteed there'd be at least some audience for it.

It seems a little silly in retrospect since Totoro has since become the mascot for the company and sold umpteen copies on DVD, but a lightweight movie about a couple of kids and a fuzzy monster seemed very risky at the time.

Risette

A Good Citizen
herbert²;38303436 said:
I've seen Whisper of the Heart for the first time yesterday and I thought it was meh. Come at me bros.
"thought it was meh" is not exactly inspiring criticism.

will not come at; will brush off and laugh instead.

Since Fireflies was based on a well-known book with educational value, school boards would pick it to show their students. And since Miyazaki's pet project Totoro was part of the package, that guaranteed there'd be at least some audience for it.

It seems a little silly in retrospect since Totoro has since become the mascot for the company and sold umpteen copies on DVD, but a lightweight movie about a couple of kids and a fuzzy monster seemed very risky at the time.
The Totoro DVD still charts on JP sales charts, in fact. It'll sell FOREVER.

BHK3

Banned
I'd kill for a spirited away blu-ray, my absolute favorite anime film.

I thought for sure there was a blu-ray for moving castle, guess not.

codhand

The US releases all have problems, different problems but problems nonetheless. :/ Disney is lame. I'd recommend the HK release for Laputa at least, as the US release has dubtitles.

The HK release of Laputa has no english dub option at all, and is missing many of the extras found on the US BD.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198710

Here is an OK discussion of the pro & cons of each version, but it is not clear that the JP versions are universally better.

For example on Nausica,

Picture: The JP / US Bu-rays are indistinguishable in motion so I'd say that both are winners here. The HK version is also pretty good (minus some problems) but the subtitles are an annoyance.
Audio: If you're interested only for the JP audio, I'd suggest the JP release. If you want both versions in lossless, the US release is your friend.
Extras: The US release does not contain the excellent audio features. The Japanese release does not contain the 12-minute interview with Miyazaki and the Behind the Microphone feature but it contains the mini-book and AR (afureko) recording script. If you're not interested that much in the interview, script and mini-book, I suggest the UK release.

Or looking at the extras for Laputa,

JP
Storyboards via Picture-in-Picture
Theatrical trailers
AR (afureko) recording script
Credit-less (non-teroppu) opening and ending sequences
TV CMs
Promotional videos

US
Introduction By John Lasseter
Original Japanese Storyboards (2:04:41 in 1080p)
Behind The Studio: Explore The Movie's Fantastic World
- The World Of Laputa (2:19)
- Creating 'Castle In The Sky' (3:41)
- Character Sketches (2:40)
- Producer's Perspective: Meeting Miyazaki (3:14)
- Scoring Miyazaki (7:18)
- Original Japanese Trailers (4:07)
- Behind The Microphone (4:08)

The JP versions are a 100% markup to their US counterparts, and whether or not they are better is sometimes murky.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The HK release of Laputa has no english dub option at all, and is missing many of the extras found on the US BD.
Yes, but it also has proper subtitles of the original language track and is a port of the JP video track encode, which are traditionally superior.

Also Disney has a nasty habit of hardcoding dub credits and changing the titlecard.

Futureman

Just got Kiki's Delivery Service from the library.

Just need to see this and Castle in the Sky and I'll have seen all of Miyazaki's Ghibli films.

Not even sure what my favorite Ghibli release would be right now... Every one I've seen I've only seen once. So some rewatches are due.

Adamm

I'd kill for a spirited away blu-ray, my absolute favorite anime film.

I thought for sure there was a blu-ray for moving castle, guess not.

There is, but its HK or JPN release only.
The US/EU Release is in June i think

codhand

Yes, but [Laptuta] also has proper subtitles of the original language track and is a port of the JP video track encode, which are traditionally superior. Also Disney has a nasty habit of hardcoding dub credits and changing the titlecard.

Most of the JP BD releases have no subs for extras, also Laputa and Nausicaa both feature lossy audio. The picture quality of Japanese releases is a higher bitrate that contains more film "grain" but it is "indistinguishable in motion". Even if all versions were the same price, there would still be debate over which is the "best" version.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Most of the JP BD releases have no subs for extras, also Laputa and Nausicaa both feature lossy audio. The picture quality of Japanese releases is a higher bitrate that contains more film "grain" but it is "indistinguishable in motion". Even if all versions were the same price, there would still be debate over which is the "best" version.
Laputa and Nausicaa are both lossless for the JP audio track. And it's not really debatable, the JP encodes have a finer grain structure. They look superior. This "in motion" argument isn't relevant. I mean, I'm sure every version looks the same in motion from 15 feet away on a 32" screen but why not just stick to actual objective comparisons involving stills.

codhand

Laputa and Nausicaa are both lossless for the JP audio track. And it's not really debatable, the JP encodes have a finer grain structure.

Audio,
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
JP "ABC" | 39 mbps | LPCM 2.0 24-bit audio | Lossy DD 2.0 Engish dub | English subtitles
HK "ABC" | 25 mbps | LPCM 2.0 16-bit audio | No dub | Stangely-formatted English subtitles
UK "B" | 31 mbps | LPCM 2.0 16-bit audio | LPCM 2.0 16-bit English dub | English subtitles | DNR'd video
US "ABC" | 24 mbps | DTS-HD MA 2.0 24-bit | DTS-HD MA 2.0 English dub | English subtitles | Dub credits "burnt in" during opening credits

Laputa (aka Castle in the Sky)
JP "ABC" | 33 mbps | DTS-HD MA 2.0 16-bit | Lossy DD 5.1 English dub (rescored) | English subitles
HK "A" | 33 mbps | DTS-HD MA 2.0 16-bit | No dub | English subtitles
UK "B" | 26 mbps | PCM 2.0 16-bit audio | PCM 5.1 16-bit English dub (rescored) | English subtitles | DNR'd video
US "ABC" | 24 mbps | DTS-HD MA 2.0 24-bit | DTS-HD MA 5.1-ES 24-bit English dub (original score) | English dub-titles

Not sure if it's true, but there it is.

stick to actual objective comparisons involving stills.

You really wanna say that one of these is head and shoulders better, fine, but it ain't $70 better. And again, you're basically saying you don't really care about the extras being japanese only (which is fine) but I do care, and want to see them.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Audio,
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
JP "ABC" | 39 mbps | LPCM 2.0 24-bit audio | Lossy DD 2.0 Engish dub | English subtitles
HK "ABC" | 25 mbps | LPCM 2.0 16-bit audio | No dub | Stangely-formatted English subtitles
UK "B" | 31 mbps | LPCM 2.0 16-bit audio | LPCM 2.0 16-bit English dub | English subtitles | DNR'd video
US "ABC" | 24 mbps | DTS-HD MA 2.0 24-bit | DTS-HD MA 2.0 English dub | English subtitles | Dub credits "burnt in" during opening credits

Laputa (aka Castle in the Sky)
JP "ABC" | 33 mbps | DTS-HD MA 2.0 16-bit | Lossy DD 5.1 English dub (rescored) | English subitles
HK "A" | 33 mbps | DTS-HD MA 2.0 16-bit | No dub | English subtitles
UK "B" | 26 mbps | PCM 2.0 16-bit audio | PCM 5.1 16-bit English dub (rescored) | English subtitles | DNR'd video
US "ABC" | 24 mbps | DTS-HD MA 2.0 24-bit | DTS-HD MA 5.1-ES 24-bit English dub (original score) | English dub-titles

Not sure if it's true, but there it is.
I was talking about the JP audio though, the dubs are all lossy.

You really wanna say that one of these is head and shoulders better, fine, but it ain't $70 better.
Well the JP one is a clear winner to me but most people aren't as nitpicky as I am so I'll concede that. I guess there's also a difference in mindset that I have compared to most people -- if I buy something I want the absolute best release I can get, even if it costs $70 more and forces me to buy it months later because I can't afford to drop that much at any random time. Videophile woes :/ But then again it takes like 2 years for Disney to get a few titles out so even considering the financially-induced delays I can get it before the US officially does! :D

And the region B release looks terrible in those comparisons. DNR is gross!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Everyone who reads this thread or post. Should watch GAUCHE THE CELLIST now. It's only 60-70 minutes; as is likely to one of the best 60-70 minutes in your life-time.

Also the OP is missing a lot of pre-ghibli television series such as - anne of green gables, 1000 leagues under the sea, heidi girl of the alps, future boy conan, lupin the third (s1) and chie the brat (tv and film). Surely those could be included if gauche the cellist is!

Desmond

The BluRays for a few of these are out in in Japan and elsewhere. Maybe have dates for all regions, and then USA: TBA?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I thought Region C looked the worst, by quite a distance :D

But at least we the JP one is the best
Looks like I got mixed up. First is JP, second is US, third is HK, in those comparisons. No UK.

I guess that Disney must've softened their release or something and man the HK release looks bad. Glad they just started porting the JP videotrack after that. But, the actual UK/region B release looks far worse than any of those!

Everyone who reads this thread or post. Should watch GAUCHE THE CELLIST now. It's only 60-70 minutes; as is likely to one of the best 60-70 minutes in your life-time.

Also the OP is missing a lot of pre-ghibli television series such as - anne of green gables, 1000 leagues under the sea, heidi girl of the alps, future boy conan, lupin the third (s1) and chie the brat (tv and film). Surely those could be included if gauche the cellist is!
61 minutes, almost. But I agree: Gauche is one of those movies I simply have to vouch for. Another excellent choice would be Night on the Galactic Railroad, based on a story from the same author of Gauche. It's not Takahata or Ghibli, but Gisaburo Sugii made a luxurious film of symbolic evolution with that premise.

cj_iwakura

Did Mononoke get a blu-ray? Might import.

If so, what's that cover like? Those examples look beautiful.

And unless anyone objects, we'll be viewing The Castle of Cagliostro this weekend.

I know it's still on DVD, feel free to enlighten me if it's on netflix or whatever.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Did Mononoke get a blu-ray? Might import.

If so, what's that cover like? Those examples look beautiful.

And unless anyone objects, we'll be viewing The Castle of Cagliostro this weekend.

I know it's still on DVD, feel free to enlighten me if it's on netflix or whatever.

It is on Netflix. I believe it is the only Miyazaki/Ghibli film they offer, since it isn't actually a Ghibli film.

Top Bottom