• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first 30 fps Metroid [HELPFUL MOD EDIT] is not Samus Returns

dogen

I distintivly remember my first time agaisnt Neo Ridley in Fusion, and everytime i hit him with a full charge shot game stuttered like hell.

Diffusion missiles too.

Ok it ran at 60 fps 99.95% of the time then lol.

My biggest pet peeve is people who think 30fps is a problem.

Nobody's telling other people to not buy the game, so I don't see why anyone else would care.

TheMoon

Technically, that's not really possible. And why does it have to be a silly nitpick just because you don't feel the same way? I was disappointed by the ratchet and clank remake and I'm disappointed by this. I might still buy it, but I'm not happy about it.

Because I'm playing it and it the game is as responsive as it needs to be. Samus does what you want her to when you want her to, turns on a dime, etc etc.

dogen

Because I'm playing it and it the game is as responsive as it needs to be. Samus does what you want her to when you want her to, turns on a dime, etc etc.

So you're telling other people what to think based on how the game feels to you?

no lmao

13ruce

Banned
The AM2R vs Samus Returns war is gonna be hilarious. Imo both games are fucking fantastic in their own way they both have their own strog points and are completely different they only share some things but they both are like complete different games.

I played AM2R and let me say Samus Returns holds up very good i would put em equal honestly and i would recommend anyone to play both. Cuz it feels like 2 different Metroid games.

It's like Ratchet and Clank ps2 vs ps4 while they have the same premise and basic story they are clearly different. Same case here enjoy both Metroid 2 remakes if you can and otherwise 1 of the 2 or none lol. Both play damn fine and yes even Samus Returns on 30 fps.

They both got the spirit of Metroid 2 very well that's what matters in the end.

Peltz

Every Metroid game worth a damn is 60 fps. I'm not going to play Samus Returns unless they port it to the Switch at 60 fps. I also won't play Prime 4 if it doesn't release at 60 fps. 30 fps just doesn't cut it for action-based games (especially sidescrollers).
My avatar disagrees with you.

Peltz

It certainly would be nicer at 60 fps though.
No doubt. But it plays phenomenally as is and is perfectly responsive and well animated.

Some of the greatest games of all time happen to be 30fps. Just adapt. It really is that simple.

This isn't Star Fox on SNES. A stable 30fps should not make you feel like the game is unplayable.

If it does, there's something else wrong with the game.

LordKano

ITT : people trying to find excuses for skipping the best Metroid game in years by blaming the developers or Nintendo for whatever stupid reasons.

If you don't want to play the game it's fine, just don't complain next time if there's no 2D Metroid game in a decade because you didn't buy it, despite it checking all the right boxes. It may not be the absolute perfect game for every fans, but so are practically every video games. If you're at the point where you would skip such a game because the framerate is a solid 30fps instead of a solid 60fps, hand over your fan card.

VDenter

Banned
Those who see the number 30 and then start throwing a fit without having actually touched it, yea. Pretty much.

I mean that is completely irrelevant because the game would be better if it was 60. Every game that is currently 60 would be worse if it was 30. I just cant understand why this is such a hard concept for some to grasp? Is the game still good at 30? Yes. Would the game be better if it was 60? Also yes.

Peltz

tried at 60 fps to see if samus would respond better or not? ;)
Of course it would be better. It would also be better in 4K HDR.

But sometimes you gotta play a game in less than ideal conditions if you want to enjoy it at all. And not having the perfect specs should not prevent you from enjoying a great game. Great games are more than the sum of their individual parts.

Frame rate doesn't determine what is and isn't good.

3DShovel

Holy shit this thread is disgusting.

All these posts like "AM2R >>>" because it's 60fps and Samus Returns is 30. Wow, can't believe what I'm reading.

Astral Dog

i thought t would be 60fps for the hideous graphics but it turns out thats false, maybe its just the 3DS(not a 60fps friendly system most of its system pushing games are 30 or below

XandBosch

I mean that is completely irrelevant because the game would be better if it was 60. Every game that is currently 60 would be worse if it was 30. I just cant understand why this is such a hard concept for some to grasp? Is the game still good at 30? Yes. Would the game be better if it was 60? Also yes.

If the game is good at 30, why is it even a conversation then? Do these people go through life thinking about how every single aspect of it could be better? Must be a pretty sad existence.

First people were butt hurt that Metroid barely existed anymore, and now that we finally get one, they're saying they refuse to play it because of the frame rate? That's some Grade A toddler bullshit right there.

>Mainline games were always 60FPS
>This mainline game isn't 60, just 30
>People who considers a smooth frame rate and input detection a landmark of the series found 30FPS troubling

Why you are surprised? Is reasonable to want 60FPS in a Metroid game because I was always there.

I guess some people have higher standards for games. I bet you also defend the fact that some features are amiibo locked.

Kurdel

Banned

Right!

Sometimes it can be integral to the gameplay experience, like DOOM 2016 or Thumper.

But for a 2D side-scroller who gives a shit, as long as it's rock solid.

I guess some people have higher standards for games. I bet you also defend the fact that some features are amiibo locked.

I mean, some people also refuse to watch black and white movies because they aren't "modern enough", their own perceived "standards" are their loss.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Of course it would be better. It would also be better in 4K HDR.

But sometimes you gotta play a game in less than ideal conditions if you want to enjoy it at all. And not having the perfect specs should not prevent you from enjoying a great game. Great games are more than the sum of their individual parts.

framerate determine that what is good will be much better with higher framerate. coming from other 60fps metroids to a 30 one will be less fun that could be...

TheMoon

the problem is people acting like it makes it unplayable which is ridiculous.

Peltz

framerate determine that what is good will be much better with higher framerate. coming from other 60fps metroids to a 30 one will be less fun that could be...

Sure, but so what? Not everything has to hit all bullet points to be worth playing and/or enjoying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My biggest pet peeve is people who think 30fps is a problem.

Your eyes get used to it after like 10 seconds, just play the game instead of complaining.

/oldmanyellsatcloud
If you were really having an old man yelling at cloud moment you'd be defending 60fps since older games typically ran at that frame-rate.

dogen

No doubt. But it plays phenomenally as is and is perfectly responsive and well animated.

Contra is more responsive so it can't be perfect. It's satisfactory.

Those who see the number 30 and then start throwing a fit without having actually touched it, yea. Pretty much.

lmao not being 100% satisfied = a fit

I'm disappointed not because I know exactly how it feels (although I have tried fusion and zero mission with frame skipping on and off, and it's worse, period), or even just that it runs at 30 fps vs 60 alone.

It's that they've always run at 60 fps in the past (barring a few exceptions), so to me they'd established the precedent of the game feeling and controlling like a highly responsive 60 fps game, and I really enjoyed that. It's just like ratchet and clank. I'd played most of the PS2 games and loved the controls and feel. I tried the PS4 one a few times and it honestly just felt like a downgrade. I didn't enjoy it because I intuitively knew how ratchet and clank is supposed to feel, and it was just slower and worse.

It's not the game itself that's the big problem to me, it's the change, and the deliberate choice to make a remake play worse than the original.

Kurdel

Banned
If you were really having an old man yelling at cloud moment you'd be defending 60fps since older games typically ran at that frame-rate.

Old men have seen some shit. I can even handle sub 30 fps without having to share hot takes, believe it or not.

Gestault

Is there a good explanation for why the game running in 2D, or on the N3DS couldn't run at 60 fps, even if standard 3D mode maybe bumped up against a performance ceiling with what they wanted to include?

sanstesy

Yeah, it should be 60fps and hopefully the next one will be. It won't stop me from thoroughly enjoying a good new Metroid game, though!

STI

Ok? What does it matter? Is this a contest of whiners v whiners? You dont need to defend them nor draw lines in the sand, its still valid to point out that its fucking hilarious that someone would do that. Also, breh:

You can wish it was higher performance or complain or whatever you want. Just know. That if you state you are passing on this game because its 30fps (which is actually the common standard in most games), im going to say "Lmao". And there could be a million posts from people like me saying "Lmao" and only one actually passing on the game and it still doesnt change anything
Lmao some people have really low standards
RIP to your eyeballs

Z3M0G

Odd... I can't picture ANY game on 3DS running 60fps in my mind...

I'm sure they do... I just can't imagine it...

dogen

Actually I should add that since it's a significantly different game, it's probably very much worth playing. If it was just a straight remake where the only differences were graphics and playability, then I really wouldn't be interested.

I'll still probably pick this one up, I'm just disappointed by one or two aspects of it.

The Wart

A Link Between Worlds. Felt awesome. Also I'm assuming NSMB2.. I'm disappointed they didn't go 60 fps for SR but I'm still checking Amazon every 5 minutes to see if my package has been delivered.

Kurdel

Banned
haha nope. lower lag is always better than higher lag...

What this is literally the first time I ever heard of someone preferring an unlocked framerate with slowdawn than locked 30.

It’s only an issue when you notice it, having it bounce around is ugly as sin, even if the 60 plateaus look good.

Locked 30 you just forget about it.

VDenter

Banned

As far as i remember most of them do not. Probably because Nintendo wants every game on the 3DS to have the same frame rate when using both 3D and 2D. Its possible that they could have made this game run at 60 in 2D and 30 in 3D. Which would have been a nice compromise.

dogen

What this is literally the first time I ever heard of someone preferring an unlocked framerate with slowdawn than locked 30.

It’s only an issue when you notice it, having it bounce around is ugly as sin, even if the 60 plateaus look good.

Locked 30 you just forget about it.

To me it depends on how close it stays to 60 and how often it drops.

Top Bottom