• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first 30 fps Metroid [HELPFUL MOD EDIT] is not Samus Returns

Gsnap

uh??? nobody said "perfect" and yes, devs CAN make 60fps (even more) happen...

The other guy said this..

Sure, but so what? Not everything has to hit all bullet points to be worth playing and/or enjoying.

And you replied with this..

but could...

Implying that developers can always hit all the bullet points.

The simple fact is that they can't. If they could they would. There are always sacrifices that need to be made. Time, money, hardware, talent, yada yada. Your posts just scream of that nonsense "lazy devs" mentality.

So far Samus Returns is great. It plays real snappy and smooth. Enemies go down real fast when you know what you're doing and you can really fly through the areas. I'm incredibly surprised to hear someone who's played it finds it sluggish. It sounds like nonsense to me, and personally, I think it's sending a bad message to people like some in this thread who seem to care only about numbers and not the practical application of said numbers. The fact that even a handful of people in this thread who haven't played the game have been swayed to not buy it, despite apparently being fans of the series, is ridiculous to me.

"But 60fps is better!"

No shit. So is 120, and 5million. But we don't live in a world where we can have everything we want. This game happens to be 30fps, and it also happens to play great.

Instro

Right!

Sometimes it can be integral to the gameplay experience, like DOOM 2016 or Thumper.

But for a 2D side-scroller who gives a shit, as long as it's rock solid.

I don't see why it would be less important in a sidescroller game than a 3D game. Just like anything, with some genres it is more important than others. Kirby and Yoshi can get away with 30fps, they don't usually require quick actions, but it's certainly more important for stuff like Mario and Metroid. Beyond that, I mentioned earlier that of the big draws of this series is speed running. Usually that involves lots of time saving tricks and advanced movements that require small timing widows and high responsiveness. 60fps is certainly important to that aspect of the series.

beril

Do people really think Metroid 2 ran at a flawless 60fps?

Maybe the background scrolled at 60 htz but Samus was a slideshow.

Yes it pretty much does. I've beaten the game twice just this year and can't remember any areas or scenarios where there is noticeable slowdown.
Of course it's a somewhat slow paced game, but that has nothing to do with framerate

true Gek

13 years waiting for a new 2D Metroid and now we are complaining of the framerate on a portable console in a sidescrolling game.

Ooook,but don't cry if the next 2D Metroid will be published in 20 years. . .

Shifty1897

Can anyone clarify what (if any) upgrades there are for N3DS users?

It's crazy to me that a high profile game like this would contain no upgrades...

Nbz

It may be 30fps, but it feels smooth, as if Samus's movements underneath are updating 60 times a second. Plus the framepacing is good and it doesn't drop from its 30 target, either.

It's not like something like Sonic Generations on 3DS which is both 30fps and unresponsive as a result.

You'd be hard pressed to find stuff on those that wasn't 60fps.

The framepacing suuuucks in 3D. It's fine without, but 3D chunks it up

I actually find 30fps less intrusive on a handheld screen, so this definitely isn't an issue for me as long as framerate is consistent. The game would probably drop with 3D on at 60fps anyways, so it's an incentive to enable it during my playthrough. I love the 3D effect, and I'm sure it plays well with the environments in this game.

Kyzer

Banned
Lmao some people have really low standards
RIP to your eyeballs

Some GAFfers after attempting to play a game in 30fps:

tumblr_lv3ookFgmO1qk0r74.gif

Jezan

Lol we actually get another Metroid and people are whining about 30fps. Smh.
By your metric, we should accept Other M and FedForces just because it's what they throw us?

Some people like 60fps too much and they can't stand 30fps. I don't think there is an excuse anyway, Smash runs at 60fps.

I will buy it though because I like the game, but would prefer 60fps.

Kyzer

Banned
By your metric, we should accept Other M and FedForces just because it's what they throw us?

Some people like 60fps too much and they can't stand 30fps. I don't think there is an excuse anyway, Smash runs at 60fps.

I will buy it though because I like the game, but would prefer 60fps.

If they cant stand 30fps then they cant stand most video games...yall act like 30 is 10

The simple fact is that they can't. If they could they would. There are always sacrifices that need to be made. Time, money, hardware, talent, yada yada. Your posts just scream of that nonsense "lazy devs" mentality.

So far Samus Returns is great. It plays real snappy and smooth. Enemies go down real fast when you know what you're doing and you can really fly through the areas. I'm incredibly surprised to hear someone who's played it finds it sluggish. It sounds like nonsense to me, and personally, I think it's sending a bad message to people like some in this thread who seem to care only about numbers and not the practical application of said numbers. The fact that even a handful of people in this thread who haven't played the game have been swayed to not buy it, despite apparently being fans of the series, is ridiculous to me.

"But 60fps is better!"

No shit. So is 120, and 5million. But we don't live in a world where we can have everything we want. This game happens to be 30fps, and it also happens to play great.
Boom. Print it, frame it, put it up.

Lingitiz

"But 60fps is better!"

/thread

jackal27

Banned
I think it's sending a bad message to people like some in this thread who seem to care only about numbers and not the practical application of said numbers.

Say it again for the people in back.

A stable 30fps is completely fine, especially for a gorgeous 3DS game with an excellent stereoscopic effect. Everyone I've talked to who is playing it says it plays great and I'm excited to try it for myself.

Sooo many other 3DS games have capped at 30fps that I'm not sure what folks were expecting. It seems like some people are still looking for any reason to confirm their belief that because the developers made a not-incredibly-great Castlevania game, this new Metroid must be awful.

"But 60fps is better!"

x0LW_f-maxage-0.gif

My biggest pet peeve is people who think 30fps is a problem.

Your eyes get used to it after like 10 seconds, just play the game instead of complaining.

My biggest pet peeve is people that think 30 FPS is pretty much the same as 60 FPS and that "your eyes get used to it". Just play the game instead of complaining about complaining.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If you could say that it was the norm to have fully polygonal detailed 3d worlds at an unflinching 60fps back in the day then you would have a point.
I can say that in reference to the PlayStation 2, at least, where 60fps is more common than 30fps.

beril

Right!

Sometimes it can be integral to the gameplay experience, like DOOM 2016 or Thumper.

But for a 2D side-scroller who gives a shit, as long as it's rock solid.

I don't see why anyone would think it's less important for sidescrollers. It's really one of the few genres where you can be entitled to expect 60fps. All the old classics were 60 fps, and nearly all the newer games of note in the genre are as well, and smooth movement is absolute key to making a platformer feel good to play. I can't speak to how Samus Returned feels yet (just downloaded it, will try it tonight), but I certainly wouldn't want to play a 2D Mario or any of the old 2D Metroids at 30 fps

Atrarock

Every Metroid game worth a damn is 60 fps. I'm not going to play Samus Returns unless they port it to the Switch at 60 fps. I also won't play Prime 4 if it doesn't release at 60 fps. 30 fps just doesn't cut it for action-based games (especially sidescrollers).
First off, you're ridiculous, 2nd of all - https://twitter.com/Sephazon/status/908694205001695232

And 3rd : This is one of THE smoothest games I've ever played, framerate be damned. I thought zero mission was smooth...this is even smoother. Just played around for a bit and next thing I know...I've been playing for 4 hours.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

"But 60fps is better!"

oh Nintendo can when they want, see their 60fps games. and their metroid games are a perfect example of good 60fps, the most impressive being metroid prime's.

we live in a world that we can't have everything, but 60fps games we can have, sorry...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really got to wonder if any of you who have said this have EVER even ONCE given this absolutely dumb-as-rocks narrative any real thought at all.

I actually agree with him, but Smash fanbase is far worse.

oh Nintendo can when they want, see their 60fps games. and their metroid games are a perfect example of good 60fps, the most impressive being metroid prime's.

we live in a world that we can't have everything, but 60fps games we can have, sorry...

I dunno why but this post lacks substance, like it attempts to compare to others yet the comparison feels flat. It sounds like it's filled with sour grapes.

Mael

I don't see why anyone would think it's less important for sidescrollers. It's really one of the few genres where you can be entitled to expect 60fps. All the old classics were 60 fps, and nearly all the newer games of note in the genre are as well, and smooth movement is absolute key to making a platformer feel good to play. I can't speak to how Samus Returned feels yet (just downloaded it, will try it tonight), but I certainly wouldn't want to play a 2D Mario or any of the old 2D Metroids at 30 fps

A 30 fps 2D Mario seems like the stuffs of nightmare.
The game would end up being either compromised in design or frustrating to play.

Mael

I really got to wonder if any of you who have said this have EVER even ONCE given this absolutely dumb-as-rocks narrative any real thought at all.

You see because we don't take every shit they throw at us it means that we're impossible to please.
Same with Bubsy's fanbase! They hated Bubsy 3D so they're clearly impossible to please.

Boss Doggie

You see because we don't take every shit they throw at us it means that we're impossible to please.
Same with Bubsy's fanbase! They hated Bubsy 3D so they're clearly impossible to please.

nah it's more of twisting or making up stuff for history, suddenly putting a developer in a stake for one game, or the general reaction to a game reveal (cough the sudden shitfest with SR)

but like I said, Smash fanbase does it much worse

Boss Doggie

can be laziness, can be
bad
choice. who knows? whatever was, they are not getting my money at full price....

And good for you, that doesn't really dissuade the game's merits then. Also ellipses in posts are hilarious.

On a random note I know there's someone out there who's obsessed (?) with my posts and is probably about to jump on me because I prefer 60fps on some games too, though they forget that those games did come out in other systems too. And it just means if this game comes on Switch with improvements too then I will buy it too.

hampig

Are you comparing this game to Bubsy 3D? Do you people really care that much about 30fps in a sidescrolling adventure game?

nah it's more of twisting or making up stuff for history, suddenly putting a developer in a stake for one game, or the general reaction to a game reveal (cough the sudden shitfest with SR)

Metroid, Smash, and Fire Emblem make like the unholy trinity of terrible Nintendo fanbases. It's honestly impressive how bad each can be at their worst.

Mael

It's the video game industry, you're only as good as your last game.
It is what it is.

Are you comparing this game to Bubsy 3D? Do you people really care that much about 30fps in a sidescrolling adventure game?

I'm comparing Other M to Bubsy 3D.
We got the "unpleasable" fanbase comments for the better part of a decade after all.

Gsnap

I mean, Other M and Federation Force? Sure (well, maybe. I haven't played FF yet but it doesn't look as bad as people say. Though certainly it isn't a metroid game)

But not this game.

I'm comparing Other M to Bubsy 3D.

Very well then.

Boss Doggie

Metroid, Smash, and Fire Emblem make like the unholy trinity of terrible Nintendo fanbases. It's honestly impressive how bad each can be at their worst.

I dunno, Pokemon can make Fire Emblem a run for its money depending on how you view things.

It's the video game industry, you're only as good as your last game.
It is what it is.

No, that's just dumb fan community rhetoric. Also doesn't excuse the other stuff I said.

But again, not as bad as Smash fanbase making things up and swearing by them, among other things.

Mael

I mean, Other M and Federation Force? Sure (well, maybe. I haven't played FF yet but it doesn't look as bad as people say. Though certainly it isn't a metroid game)

But not this game.

I don't have the game, I couldn't get the EU special pack so i'm waiting till the dust settle to jump onboard.
If it's shit after a month or two, I won't bother.
After Other M, I'm done with being day 1 on 2D Metroid.
FF was clearly a spinoff, kinda like Pinball I could and did ignore it.

No, that's just dumb fan community rhetoric. Also doesn't excuse the other stuff I said.

But again, not as bad as Smash fanbase making things up and swearing by them, among other things.

It's true for all popular franchise.
Look up Final Fantasy, Mario Kart, Mario in general and co.
The industry is so geared toward what's new that anything past the last game isn't really relevant.
I'm not saying it's great, I'm still waiting for another Romancing SaGa game.

When the SSB community tried to explain that I wasn't having fun with SSBB I dropped that community like a pack of bricks.

Boss Doggie

It's true for all popular franchise.
Look up Final Fantasy, Mario Kart, Mario in general and co.
The industry is so geared toward what's new that anything past the last game isn't really relevant.
I'm not saying it's great, I'm still waiting for another Romancing SaGa game.

When the SSB community tried to explain that I wasn't having fun with SSBB I dropped that community like a pack of bricks.

And that's why you don't view things their way. You'll enjoy the hobby a lot more.

Today's Smash story is "Sakurai is biased towards Fire Emblem", not Kirby or Kid Icarus anymore.

WestEgg

Odds of 60fps Switch release?

Low, outside of Monster Hunter, I can't think of many games that were ported from 3DS to a home console (multi plats between systems, and console to 3DS were more likely).

Even lower if nobody buys this game to begin with because they wanted it to be 60 FPS.

Uncharted fans are never pleased.

Proof: Uncharted fans didn't collectively adore Golden Abyss.

They might have loved Uncharted 1, 2, 3, and Lost Legacy. Those games might be the best games ever made as far as those fans were concerned...

...but they didn't adore Golden Abyss. And therefore:

They are never pleased.

checkmate huehuehue

^^ now think about how blindingly stupid that all sounds to you, because that's EXACTLY how "Metroid fans are never pleased" reads to me

Metroid's fanbase isn't as bad as people think it is, but most of those 'people' making remarks on how bad the Metroid fanbase is... are just assholes who don't even play Metroid looking in from the outside and wondering, "why aren't those fools satisfied with Fed Force and Other M! I thought Metroid was their favorite! This means They're Simply Unpleasable"

Mael

And that's why you don't view things their way. You'll enjoy the hobby a lot more.

Today's Smash story is "Sakurai is biased towards Fire Emblem", not Kirby or Kid Icarus anymore.

To be fair, SSB shouldn't be 'biased' toward a franchise anyway.
I'll add that it's great we have this discussion here and not polluting the OT of the game for that.

Boss Doggie

To be fair, SSB shouldn't be 'biased' toward a franchise anyway.
I'll add that it's great we have this discussion here and not polluting the OT of the game for that.

It isn't, but that's how the fanbase "copes", it's why you see posts riddled with SAKURAI CAN'T DK.

It's because people actually already know about the 30fps thing, and personally I think OP is trying something but that's just my frank opinion.

^^ now think about how blindingly stupid that all sounds to you, because that's EXACTLY how "Metroid fans are never pleased" reads to me

Metroid's fanbase isn't as bad as people think it is, but most of those 'people' making remarks on how bad the Metroid fanbase is... are just assholes who don't even play Metroid looking in from the outside and wondering, "why aren't those fools satisfied with Fed Force and Other M! I thought Metroid was their favorite! This means They're Simply Unpleasable"

And that's interpreting the message wrong. I already posted why I support that point of view, and it's beyond "buy this shit to save the franchise" which is a wrong behavior, but at the same time not something the franchise owner is doing (which again ties to my "twists words and history").

Sometimes I really feel like most people in here derive no joy from playing games

Sometimes I really feel like the people who insinuate that any degree of technical discussion precludes those discussing from enjoying video games are the worst shitposters on NeoGAF and it's not even close

Seriously. It's the Free Space of NeoGAF Shitpost Bingo. "Whine about tech discussion and imply that nobody actually just plays games anymore, maaaaaan." It's getting sooooo goddamn tired.

jackal27

Banned
Man I wish I didn't already want this game. Now I can't say I'll buy it to spite the people in this thread.

Hell, I'll buy 2 copies if it's for that.

Let's talk about the real issue here though. I think people are just mad about having to pull out their 3DS again and honestly? I think that's a better argument for choosing not to pick up the game than most of the ones I've read here.

XandBosch

Y'all can enjoy 30fps, that's not a problem. Just don't deny it is inferior.

Sometimes I watch cable when at my parents house on a standard definition channel, even though I know it's offered in HD (I'd just have to find it).

Does that infuriate you? Please tell me it does.

Top Bottom