• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Diablo III expansion is "Reaper of Souls", teaser site is live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotto

Reaper of Souls huh, wonder who that could be.

I really want this to be good, but after seeing how Blizzard's been operating for the past few years and the overall bad taste that Diablo III left to me, I have extremely low expectations.

Svafnir

Not sure if this was mentioned yet.... but!

The image is called "d3x_teaser" in the css which completely sounds like Diablo 3 naming scheme.

they haven't even fixed the base game, it's pretty scummy to make an expansion

PvP? (don't give me this garbage dueling system and call it a day)
DH garbage in endame (MP8+)
Class balance?
Item overhaul?

Provide the fixes and changes for those willing to spend another $40!

glaurung

It's probably been posted several times already, but - shouldn't they fix the core game play before asking people to shell out for an expansion.

There is one other fear that is wiggling in the back of my head: with WoW getting an in-game booster and item shop quite soonish, I am afraid Diablo will endure the same fate. And as soon as they start selling 200% 1h experience boosters for real monies, this game will lose all credibility it ever had.

mrpeabody

I can't imagine anything that would get me interested in D3 now short of a complete remake. The problems are too fundamental.

It's too bad. I remember how hyped I was for the new classes in Lord of Destruction. Good times.

Each new release from Blizzard is drive by so much hate from people. So, if you are not interested or you think that Blizzard doing only shit, can you explain me the meaning of write something?Get lost!

Flipyap

Diablo 3's "endgame" has its ISSUES, but it's the only dress-'em-up that actually improved the feel of the genre's core gameplay in the last 15 years, that has to count for something.
...and since I'm currently having a pretty miserable time with Torchlight 2 (plus, there won't even be an "endgame") and have found myself unable to go back to Path of Exile after taking a short-ish break (that skill forest), yeah, I want this.

Hoping for improved itemization and randomization, obviously.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Its black, rotten core! Better? :p
Sounds a lot better :3

On a serious note, when a game is hated, some people tend to just say that the game "sucks". However with Diablo 3, I find it that most people have already said what they hated about this game (RMAH/AH being one of the main issues the game had, etc).

V_Arnold

The RMAH/AH is not a bad thing, imho. I still maintain my stance that it does NOTHING but reveal the lazy and easily depressed human nature in these kinds of games.

It attaches a dollar value to your playtime if you let it or if you have that kind of mentality, and that can destroy any type of fun you had with the game.

Now, imagine if people had the same in Diablo II. "People keep finding $400-$500 runes/uniques, while you keep killing Meph for WEEKS and you find nothing! Your last week's farming amounted to $0.25 worth of stuff. Happy?"

It was there, in the form of 3rd party sites. But you needed to look for it -.-

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Sounds a lot better :3

On a serious note, when a game is hated, some people tend to just say that the game "sucks". However with Diablo 3, I find it that most people have already said what they hated about this game (RMAH/AH being one of the main issues the game had, etc).

The most egregious is that instead of starting something like a no-ah ladder for the pc version, well, they expect you to buy the console version.

Shitting on the people who massively hype and buy your product, good job Blizzard, good job.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It was there, in the form of 3rd party sites. But you needed to look for it -.-
But it was never encouraged in Diablo 2, that's the difference. And because of this, the RMAH buy-ratio in D3 was far, far more than you'd find in 3rd party sites in D2.

Moff

the thing I care about most is gameplay, thats why I liked really liked diablo3.
the hate for diablo 3 is ridicoulusly overblown, its still the best hack'n'slay out there, by far. rivaled only by its 10+ year old predecessor. of course I'll buy this, and so will most of you.

John_B

Diablo 2 is the perfect recipe for a good game. Having similar decisions in other games wouldn't be a bad idea.
They managed to design a very different and vastly superior skill system. And given how the bare bone items of Diablo 2 turned into some insane awesome stuff late in Lord of Destruction should tell everyone it takes some time to refine stuff to that level.

Diablo 3 has issues, but that is not where all of this unreasonable hate stems from. There is a general bad perception of things that has nothing to do with the core game that is pretty good.

It doesn't really matter. In the end Diablo 3 will be worthy of the crown.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah, I think part of the problem is that D3 makes it more obvious than D2 that you've found jack shit and essentially "wasted" your time (in terms of dollar value). I honestly don't think going back to the fucking trade system would do the game a favour.

Does it matter if other players waste their money? It's not as if you couldn't find good stuff on the regular AH.

D2 unlike D3 wasn't tuned assuming a RMAH existed, which empowered players who chosed to opt off it.

That's the difference.

Yoshichan

Do we know how much expansion-packs usually sell for Blizzard-games?
Does it matter if other players waste their money? It's not as if you couldn't find good stuff on the regular AH.
Oh, I meant AH in general.

D2 unlike D3 wasn't tuned assuming a RMAH existed, which empowered players who chosed to opt off it.

That's the difference.

Diffrence is Little Johny could get duped copies of best items in 10 minutes dirt cheap in D2 while now they need to put some serious work or money into it.

Mystery of D3 hate in nutshell.

Kangi

...Eh, why not. I'll get the expansion. I had fun with D3 so there's no real reason not to get it, even if I disagree with some of the design choices.

Hope it brings good stuff with it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Diffrence is Little Johny could get duped copies of best items in 10 minutes dirt cheap in D2 while now they need to put some serious work or money into it.

Mystery of D3 hate in nutshell.

Botting is rampant in the game, it's not like they've put all that newflanged online-only tech into curbing abuse. Nowadays Little Johny can run bots to farm while he's at school.

linkent

The RMAH/AH is not a bad thing, imho. I still maintain my stance that it does NOTHING but reveal the lazy and easily depressed human nature in these kinds of games.

It is not a bad thing BUT!!
I dont want to "NEED" to look into it in order progress my fugging game!!

It is frustrating to get the same shit by killing act 1 boss 100x but dont have any gear upgrade in order to advance to the next act..

The whole itemisation / loot sux!!

I dont mind people trade here and there but dont "FORCE" me into it..

You know that when you spend more time in the AH rather than the GAME itself, then it is not a good game..

Belgorim

Woot, so in 2 years time then? :(

I want a no-AH version, not for me personally, I can stay away from it right now, but my friends cannot and it is more fun to play with others and they will get bored if there is an AH.

Would be fun with some itemization changes as well, and new classes. And some more character progression!

Santar

So much hate for D3 on here it seems.
I for one am excited that a expansion is finally on he cards.
Hoping for at least two more acts, and that they are more open and huge like the first two in regular D3. Some new classes, increased level cap and billions of items would also be nice.
And of course I'm still hoping for a offline patch.

Really hope the expansion comes to the consoles fast as well though according to Blizz the console release will probably not be simultaneous.

KKRT00

I'm interested in feature set of expansion.

Also if they finally fixed performance issues, its been only 1.5 years Blizzard [even 2.5 if we count beta which had same performance problems].

Ps. The only way they could win me over, if they fixed most games issues [loot, stats, zones, white npcs, skills] and add Amazon as a new class :), but i dont really count on it :p

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
they haven't even fixed the base game, it's pretty scummy to make an expansion

PvP? (don't give me this garbage dueling system and call it a day)
DH garbage in endame (MP8+)
Class balance?
Item overhaul?
If I Remember correctly, it's actually pretty standard Blizzard practice, if they release an expansion that makes major changes to game mechanics, to release a patch to introduce those changes to the base game as well. At least, it happened with WC3. Or I might be completely misremembering!

Trickster

Woot, so in 2 years time then? :(

I want a no-AH version, not for me personally, I can stay away from it right now, but my friends cannot and it is more fun to play with others and they will get bored if there is an AH.

Would be fun with some itemization changes as well, and new classes. And some more character progression!

I would imagine Q4 2014 for a release date. That way they can release the WoW expansion sometime in the first half of 2014 and still have something for the holiday season

John_B

hey haven't even fixed the base game, it's pretty scummy to make an expansion
Are there some bugs that keeps you from playing or something? Blizzard has excellent support for their games. StarCraft and Diablo 2 still gets patches and the servers are still going. Compare that to EA.

KKRT00

Are there some bugs that keeps you from playing or something? Blizzard has excellent support for their games. StarCraft and Diablo 2 still gets patches and the servers are still going. Compare that to EA.

They have 5 games to support on one platform, not 100+ on multiple platforms :)

And they still havent fixed performance issues in D3.

ElyrionX

Playing D3 made it hard to play other ARPGs. I completed Torchlight 2 and played a good amount of Marvel Heroes after D3. TL2 was fun but there was absolutely no depth and variety to the skill system. Itemization was also just as bad as D3.

Marvel Heroes was almost a complete disaster. The gameplay got old really quick and the combat mechanics were terribly implemented. Don't even get me started on the itemization which was worse than D3. And this was made by the guy who talked so much shit about the D3 team and who also made Hellgate. I think he should just shut the fuck up from now on because his own games after D2 are complete shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom