• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first game you finished

Holammer

I think it was Green Beret on the C64. Played plenty of games before that in arcades and on the 2600, but those seldom had an end or finish state.
It was all about the POINTS maaaaan!

Lunarorbit

Maybe Duck Tails on nes? I remember getting really close on Jackal and Super Mario bros.

On the opposite spectrum was Bayou Billy. That was a gaming purchase I almost instantly regretted even though it was a little fun. Just too hard for me then

MiguelItUp

Definitely Super Mario World.
Super Mario Nintendo GIF

cireza

The very first Super Mario Bros on NES, for sure.

More remarkable was finishing the very first Zelda, I was 7 years old. Took me one year to do this. Kid me somehow managed to finish Zelda II as well, a couple years later. Two games that helped me understand what the sense of accomplishment was. Zelda I was really difficult, but in Zelda II, when you eventually cleared all palaces, the simple fact of reaching the final palace was close to impossible for me back then.

Also completed the second quest in Zelda I, before playing Zelda II. It was so fucking hard.
Understood I could go through walls entirely by chance after being stuck for like forever in the second dungeon.

Švejk

Zillion on the Master System.
Once the code decifering clicked, I couldn't put it down.
Game is still brilliantly unique and fun to play. I've played through it at least once every year for the past 35 years.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Probably Legend of Zelda 2 around 1989 followed by Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest, Mega Man 2 and then Super Mario Bros 2. Really tough games completed within a 2 year span (89-90) Haven't finished many games since then.

EDIT: Actually it was Miner 2049'er on the Atari 400 back around 1984 or so

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
I think it was that little handheld Mattel football game. Anyone remember those? Your players were represented by a dash, and you had to maneuver the dash down the field. Very simple game.

AyNZvOy.jpg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
First game I actually beat? Probably Wario Land or Sonic 2 if I had to guess.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I was too young to finish any of my NES games, which consisted of Mario 1-3 and a bunch of Capcom titles, but damn playing all those games really cut my gaming teeth.

The first game I ended up beating was Sonic 2, which was much easier than those NES games. Though it was still a good challenge to beat the final zone, two bosses in a row with no rings. I died many times learning the patterns, and had to play the whole game over from scratch to get there again for weeks. I was 7.

Edit: I didn't spot the Genesis tips book at the Scholastic book fair until a few years later, so I had no idea about the level select or Super Sonic codes yet, which blew my mind after all the time I spent getting back to the final boss lol.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As a kid I was bad at games. We had NES and SNES at home but I think I didn't beat any of their games until years later.

Guess it probably was something on the Game Boy, those games were shorter and easier to beat imo, like Super Mario Land or Wario Land. Or maybe it was Pokemon Blue? Wish I could remember. :goog_relieved:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I think the first game that I really finished was the first Zelda.

I used the warp zones on Super Mario Bros.

You could argue that it was Vangard on the Atari 2600. That one actually had an ending.

Top Bottom