• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash Director Andy Muschietti Officially Signs On To Helm 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold'

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Though he pretty much let the cat out of the bag himself a couple of weeks ago, The Flash director Andy Muschietti has now been officially confirmed to take the helm of Batman: The Brave and the Bold...

latest

“We saw The Flash even before taking the reins at DC Studios, and knew we were in the hands of not only a visionary director but a massive DC fan,” Gunn and Safran told the trade in a joint statement. “It’s a magnificent film – funny, emotional, thrilling – and Andy’s affinity and passion for these characters and this world just resonates through every frame.

So, when it came time to find a director for The Brave and the Bold, there was really only one choice. Luckily, Andy said yes. Barbara signed on to produce with us and we were on our way. They’re an extraordinary team, and we couldn’t have better or more inspiring partners as we embark on this thrilling new adventure in the DCU.”

Barbara Muschietti is also on board as a producer.

The film doesn't currently have a screenwriter attached, but it has been confirmed that The Flash scribe Christina Hodson was "circling" before deciding to work on a Fast and Furious movie instead.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Loosing Snyder and Nolan to Gunn & Muschietti. Wait and see but I'm not optimistic.

Snyder and Gunn are good friends. His work has been really good. Peacemaker, Guardians 3, The Suicide Squad... It...

I haven't seen Flash yet, but so far I like what they've put out!

What an L.

Just a studio yes man *insert name here* kind of director. He wouldn’t be out of place in the MCU list of directors.

Not like the James Gunn’s movies will be made with quality or artfulness in mind due to it just being a corporate mandated assembly line of products designed to appeal to the dumb masses.

Not a bad director but I can’t say that I’m a fan of a lot of his aesthetic choices.
So yeah, kinda indifferent about that.

Mr Hyde

Muschiettis talents are wasted in this corporate film factory assembly line. I thought he was on to do great things in the horror genre when he hit the jackpot with the excellent IT adaptation , instead he goes directly to dumb watered down super hero flicks. Disappointed.

Azurro

Banned
At least they didn't bring in the inept writer that worked on Birds of Prey, Batgirl (shelved because it was too shitty to release) and Flash.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If The Flash comes in under or around the box office for Black Adam (which it is going to do), expect Muschietti to walk away, citing 'creative differences' at some point in the near future...

Frankly, all that praise from Gunn and Safran was typical bullshit Hollywood PR speak. Once the film has flopped, everything will change.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not been cast yet, but has to be an older Batman than the other Batman they're still making movies about, because he has a son in this movie.
It gotta be Keaton, right?

I always wanted Eastwood for this part but at 94 whatever I'm not sure that's gonna work.

Damn, you could get Arnie, Carrey, Pfeiffer, and Devito to cameo though :p

Hang on, I'm thinking of Batman Beyond. What's the hook with Brave and Bold? Batman with Damien?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It gotta be Keaton, right?

I always wanted Eastwood for this part but at 94 whatever I'm not sure that's gonna work.

Damn, you could get Arnie, Carrey, Pfeiffer, and Devito to cameo though :p

Hang on, I'm thinking of Batman Beyond. What's the hook with Brave and Bold? Batman with Damien?

Definitely not going to be Keaton. They want a Batman who's old enough to have a kid around the age of twelve, but still be active as Batman, so someone who's about 40 at the most.

Yep, it's Brave and Bold, not Beyond. Basically it's Batman & Son... which I personally think is being done because of the success of the dad genre - God Of War/Last Of Us ... that type of thing.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not just a son, the entire Bat Family.

Yep, and it's going to probably be absolutely awful, because you can just tell they want to secure that family friendly market, and that shared universe malarky.

Stand by for Joker 2 and The Batman 2 to completely obliterate the DCU at the box office. And they will all sit around asking themselves what went wrong again.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
When you look at the "Top Cast" of The Flash on imdb on mobile, Ezra Miller isn't on the default screen lol
Yeah, even on the website they put Supergirl and Affleck as the top two billed spots.

I wonder if WB had to pay IMDB extra to do that, someone at imdb is trying to minimize Ezras visibility on their own, or what. I remember when IMDB was largely, if not entirely, fan driven but obviously those days are long gone and it is just a PR outlet now.

Seeing it tomorrow with the family. I've a strangely low bar for DC, as I enjoyed Shazam and Black Adam far more than I probably should, so I'm sure this nostalgia fest will entertain.

Yep, and it's going to probably be absolutely awful, because you can just tell they want to secure that family friendly market, and that shared universe malarky.

Stand by for Joker 2 and The Batman 2 to completely obliterate the DCU at the box office. And they will all sit around asking themselves what went wrong again.
Lol I saw a thing on Twitter about this announcement and someone said “great we’re about to get the worlds first soulless and style less Batman movie”

And that just resonated so much with me sadly.

“We saw The Flash even before taking the reins at DC Studios, and knew we were in the hands of not only a visionary director but a massive DC fan,” Gunn and Safran told the trade in a joint statement. “It’s a magnificent film – funny, emotional, thrilling – and Andy’s affinity and passion for these characters and this world just resonates through every frame.

The film doesn't currently have a screenwriter attached, but it has been confirmed that The Flash scribe Christina Hodson was "circling" before deciding to work on a Fast and Furious movie instead.
Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

Doom85

viPDV3t.jpg

Nothing more appropriate for five year olds than a brainwashed child soldier presenting his father the head of a criminal…..

(yes, I know they’ll tone it down a bit, but it’s quite a stretch to say the story bringing in DAMIEN WAYNE is going for a more upbeat one)

Also, what does the Batfamily have to do with tying into the rest of the DC universe? Dick, Jason, Barbara, Tim, Cassandra, Stephanie, etc., all their stories are tied to Gotham (okay, Dick is tied to Bludhaven, until that gawdawful comic where the city gets nuked or some stupid shit, I forget) so no, them getting their (LONG overdue, and no we’re not counting that Forever/Robin shit) debut doesn’t mean Hal Jordan or somebody will drop by for a cameo.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nothing more appropriate for five year olds than a brainwashed child soldier presenting his father the head of a criminal…..

(yes, I know they’ll tone it down a bit, but it’s quite a stretch to say the story bringing in DAMIEN WAYNE is going for a more upbeat one)

Also, what does the Batfamily have to do with tying into the rest of the DC universe? Dick, Jason, Barbara, Tim, Cassandra, Stephanie, etc., all their stories are tied to Gotham (okay, Dick is tied to Bludhaven, until that gawdawful comic where the city gets nuked or some stupid shit, I forget) so no, them getting their (LONG overdue, and no we’re not counting that Forever/Robin shit) debut doesn’t mean Hal Jordan or somebody will drop by for a cameo.

Do you think for one moment The Brave And The Bold is going to delve into Batman's darker aspects? Of course it isn't. Reeves's movies are the dark, grounded, more mature films. This shit is going to be the one aimed at the kiddie winks, I guarantee you. Think Brave And The Bold cartoon, more than Morrison's run. It won't be Batman & Robin, but it ain't gonna be that dark, either.

Gunn has said that everything will tie into the new DCU. They are continuing to pursue the shared universe strategy - and that is bound to inform the story and characters of TBatB.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind if they step back from all the Batman pathos and focus more on the interplay between Bruce Wayne and Batman or just have some fun with Batman and kinda skip past all the "my parents were killed and now I live for JUSTICE!!!" stuff. Maybe not alllllllll the way over to Schumacher land but at least in that neighborhood minus all the neon and ice skating clowns and whatnot.

Batmite surely is the answer here :p

Doom85

Do you think for one moment The Brave And The Bold is going to delve into Batman's darker aspects? Of course it isn't. That's why they're making The Brave And The Bold. It's the most family friendly iteration. Reeves's movies are the dark, grounded, more mature films. This shit is going to be the one aimed at the kiddie winks.

Gunn has said that everything will tie into the new DCU. They are continuing to pursue the shared universe strategy - and that is bound to inform the story and characters of TBatB.

Are you honestly assuming the title means it will be like the cartoon series of the same name? Because there’s no mention of any non-Bats heroes making an appearance when they announced it. But also, James Gunn flat out said it’s based on Grant Morrison’s run. Titles are just something to use. Like, Age of Ultron bears almost no similarities to the comic of the same name.

So actually based on the information actually provided by James, a dark, intense story with a side of mindfuck (not quite David Lynch level, but I had to read Batman and Son and Batman R.I.P. twice before I got it…..I think) is what’s in store.

No, Gunn flat out said what truly matters is the vision of the writers, directors, etc. and that “story is king”. Yes, they want things to be coherent as a whole for the universe, but that’s totally possible while still making a great story, because you know, tons of comic writers have done this for decades. Christ, the DCAU kicked ass at it. A shared universe does not prohibit a good story, there are decades of stories proving this.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind if they step back from all the Batman pathos and focus more on the interplay between Bruce Wayne and Batman or just have some fun with Batman and kinda skip past all the "my parents were killed and now I live for JUSTICE!!!" stuff. Maybe not alllllllll the way over to Schumacher land but at least in that neighborhood minus all the neon and ice skating clowns and whatnot.

I think that's exactly where they will go with it. They can make toys out of that. They can't get loads of merchandising out of The Batman, the same way they couldn't out of The Dark Knight. This Brave And Bold movie is absolutely being made to make cash off merchandising to children. That's the only real reason it exists.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Are you honestly assuming the title means it will be like the cartoon series of the same name? Because there’s no mention of any non-Bats heroes making an appearance when they announced it. But also, James Gunn flat out said it’s based on Grant Morrison’s run. Titles are just something to use. Like, Age of Ultron bears almost no similarities to the comic of the same name.

So actually based on the information actually provided by James, a dark, intense story with a side of mindfuck (not quite David Lynch level, but I had to read Batman and Son and Batman R.I.P. twice before I got it…..I think) is what’s in store.

No, Gunn flat out said what truly matters is the vision of the writers, directors, etc. and that “story is king”. Yes, they want things to be coherent as a whole for the universe, but that’s totally possible while still making a great story, because you know, tons of comic writers have done this for decades. Christ, the DCAU kicked ass at it. A shared universe does not prohibit a good story, there are decades of stories proving this.

Sorry, but I think you're giving all of them way too much credit, and believing in the PR spin. This is WB we're talking about. It's going to a be a CGI fuelled, PG action packed romp that'll be counter programmed against Reeves's films to differentiate them enough.

If you think this film is going to be in any way actually dark or intense, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. You're getting that with Reeves, not with this.

Last edited:

Doom85

Sorry, but I think you're giving all of them way too much credit, and believing in the PR spin. This is WB we're talking about. It's going to a be a CGI fuelled, PG action packed romp that'll be counter programmed against Reeves's films to differentiate them enough.

If you think this film is going to be in any way actually dark or intense, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. You're getting that with Reeves, not with this.

Sorry I choose to believe the words of a director who has given me four great-excellent comic movies, has made it abundantly clear how passionate he is about comics, and his one film in DC so far had a shark biting people’s heads off and ripping a guy in half, a dude with his dick out getting electrocuted to death, people’s faces being slowly torn open like we’re watching an Alien film, a politician being hung along with his family including his three kids, the film starts with a guy getting his head blasted off and then another guy’s head visibly exploding from the bomb inside and later a bird begins eating the brain tissue, etc.

You know, FOR KIDS!!!

Happy Football GIF by FC Schalke 04

Because I know what you’re likely about to say, yes obviously the Batman film won’t go THAT hard, nor should it, but still you’re claiming the WB executives won’t let them do anything dark…..when the guy in charge of overseeing this project was clearly given permission to do what he wanted to do with his film.

Reeves’ films will be different because it’s a younger Batman fighting by himself (well, with Alfred as mission control). James even states they’ll be labeled Elseworlds to differentiate them. So there’s no proof the new films will be safe and tame barring pure speculation.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sorry I choose to believe the words of a director who has given me four great-excellent comic movies, has made it abundantly clear how passionate he is about comics, and his one film in DC so far had a shark biting people’s heads off and ripping a guy in half, a dude with his dick out getting electrocuted to death, people’s faces being slowly torn open like we’re watching an Alien film, a politician being hung along with his family including his three kids, the film starts with a guy getting his head blasted off and then another guy’s head visibly exploding from the bomb inside and later a bird begins eating the brain tissue, etc.

You know, FOR KIDS!!!

Because I know what you’re likely about to say, yes obviously the Batman film won’t go THAT hard, nor should it, but still you’re claiming the WB executives won’t let them do anything dark…..when the guy in charge of overseeing this project was clearly given permission to do what he wanted to do with his film.

Reeves’ films will be different because it’s a younger Batman fighting by himself (well, with Alfred as mission control). James even states they’ll be labeled Elseworlds to differentiate them. So there’s no proof the new films will be safe and tame barring pure speculation.

Gunn also wrote Scooby Doo.

And you're forgetting one big problem for your speculation:

David Zaslav.

I think my speculation is well founded.

Last edited:

Doom85

Gunn also wrote Scooby Doo.

And you're forgetting one big problem for your speculation:

David Zaslav.

I think my speculation is well founded.

Hardly even deserves to be mentioned amongst the worst of the Scooby franchise. It’s not great, but come on, I don’t shit on David Fincher for making Alien 3, sometimes great directors have bumpy beginnings.

James Gunn has spoken about the DCU. I’ve heard Jack and shit from Zaslav in terms of it. But he would surely have had a say in hiring Gunn, so I doubt he‘d let Gunn be saying shit if Zaslav wants the opposite of it.

Christ, DISNEY let James Gunn put a “fuck” in one of their movies. “FUCK”. In a movie franchise that people definitely associate with Disney by this point.

Just Saying Amanda Seales GIF by NBC

It‘s very obvious Gunn has become one of those directors that most big wigs are going to step back and say, “let him cook!” I mean, Superman is their first big project, and they just casually tossed him the keys.

Until I hear legit, actual news of executive meddling with the DCU (as in news, not clickbait-loving rumor spreaders on YouTube), I‘m not really seeing much to be worried about.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hardly even deserves to be mentioned amongst the worst of the Scooby franchise. It’s not great, but come on, I don’t shit on David Fincher for making Alien 3, sometimes great directors have bumpy beginnings.

James Gunn has spoken about the DCU. I’ve heard Jack and shit from Zaslav in terms of it. But he would surely have had a say in hiring Gunn, so I doubt he‘d let Gunn be saying shit if Zaslav wants the opposite of it.

Christ, DISNEY let James Gunn put a “fuck” in one of their movies. “FUCK”. In a movie franchise that people definitely associate with Disney by this point.

Just Saying Amanda Seales GIF by NBC

It‘s very obvious Gunn has become one of those directors that most big wigs are going to step back and say, “let him cook!” I mean, Superman is their first big project, and they just casually tossed him the keys.

Until I hear legit, actual news of executive meddling with the DCU (as in news, not clickbait-loving rumor spreaders on YouTube), I‘m not really seeing much to be worried about.

We’ll stick a pin in this and return. As long as Covid 24 doesn’t kill us all 👍

Doom85

We’ll stick a pin in this and return. As long as Covid 24 doesn’t kill us all 👍

Darkseid: I have finally found the Anti-Life Equation. And I shall henceforth call it: COVID-19!
DeSaad: Ahem, my lord, there is already a virus on planet Earth with that name.
Darkseid: Oh, uh, err, then this shall be: COVID-24!
DeSaad: What happened to 20-23?
Darkseid: I dunno, asshole, what happened to 1-18?! Why don’t you go torture someone and let me name my mortal-damning creations in peace?!
DeSaad: Okay, geez. Quite the sensitive New God.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’ve heard Jack and shit from Zaslav in terms of it. But he would surely have had a say in hiring Gunn, so I doubt he‘d let Gunn be saying shit if Zaslav wants the opposite of it.
Zaslav is just a target right now because he gave DC to Gunn instead of continuing the grimdark version some people demand.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
After seeing Flash I think this guy can do a pretty good batman film. He can frame action, integrate comedy pretty smoothly, and has some nice comic book spectacle chops.

Curious how much of the good stuff in flash was Hodgson. Her DC output is decidedly mixed in my view.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
After seeing Flash I think this guy can do a pretty good batman film. He can frame action, integrate comedy pretty smoothly, and has some nice comic book spectacle chops.

Curious how much of the good stuff in flash was Hodgson. Her DC output is decidedly mixed in my view.

Probably not much. The story was worked on by MANY people who left the project over the years ... Rick Famiyuwa comes to mind... Also Lord and Miller.

So her name is the only one probably because she was the LAST one hired and stayed.

Just_one

Batman isn’t in that. Yes, Joker is from Batman, but it’s doing it’s own thing, and there’s no Batman involved.

and this is why DC will fail , there´s too much going on to have a clear direction.

Joker "universe" , batman "universe" , Gunn´s "universe"

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I hope this isn't another dark take on Batman.

It's been done to death. This needs to have an Adam West Batman feel. Make it suitable for families and children of all ages, just like Batman is supposed to be.

Top Bottom