• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash Director Andy Muschietti Officially Signs On To Helm 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold'

Doom85

I hope this isn't another dark take on Batman.

It's been done to death. This needs to have an Adam West Batman feel. Make it suitable for families and children of all ages, just like Batman is supposed to be.

It’s probably not going to be as dark as The Batman and its future sequels, but it will definitely not be very lighthearted and goofy. Bringing in Damien Wayne, being based on Grant Morrison‘s run, this would be completely ill-fited for a campy tone.

DKehoe

I hope this isn't another dark take on Batman.

It's been done to death. This needs to have an Adam West Batman feel. Make it suitable for families and children of all ages, just like Batman is supposed to be.

It’s so weird that the last live action Batman film that you could take a young child to see in the cinema was Batman & Robin.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It’s probably not going to be as dark as The Batman and its future sequels, but it will definitely not be very lighthearted and goofy. Bringing in Damien Wayne, being based on Grant Morrison‘s run, this would be completely ill-fited for a campy tone.

That's not really an excuse. There is no reason why they can't make it light hearted and family friendly. Just change the source material slightly.

It’s so weird that the last live action Batman film that you could take a young child to see in the cinema was Batman & Robin.

This.

Batman needs to go back to being a camp childrens character as originally intended.

I need to see the Bat credit card, bat skates and shark spray.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Uhhhh...

XTbR1iv.jpg

Oh crap, I just checked and B+R was 4 years later!

DKehoe

Uhhhh...

XTbR1iv.jpg

Oh crap, I just checked and B+R was 4 years later!
That’s also not live action.

But I do think it’s an example of how you can tell good Batman stories that kids can enjoy without necessarily being totally campy (although the campiness can be fun).

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
That’s also not live action.

But I do think it’s an example of how you can tell good Batman stories that kids can enjoy without necessarily being totally campy (although the campiness can be fun).
Oh yeah, very true. Some of the DCAU stuff isn't very kid friendly either.

I took my 4th grader to see The Flash though, he loved it, so that was his first live action theatrical Batman. And Batffleck toned down quite well for kids.

DKehoe

Oh yeah, very true. Some of the DCAU stuff isn't very kid friendly either.

I took my 4th grader to see The Flash though, he loved it, so that was his first live action theatrical Batman. And Batffleck toned down quite well for kids.
Yeh and it's a pity because the DCAU has been putting out some good stuff. I think it's totally fine to have dark Batman stories that are for adults. I've enjoyed plenty of those. But Batman is ultimately a kid's character and its a pity for that audience to be totally sidelined and for parents to not be able to share their enjoyment of these characters with their children.

Glad your son enjoyed The Flash! It's not a perfect film but I think you can see aspects there that can really work so it's something to build on going forward. And yeh that version of Batffleck was another example of how you can do a serious Batman that kids can enjoy. You don't need to totally undercut the character and go the opposite way, just reign some stuff in.

george-clooney-waving-AP.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Batman needs to go back to being a camp childrens character as originally intended.

He wasn’t actually like that originally. The first few issues he was pretty damned brutal and dark, but they quickly realised they needed to lighten him up, so Robin came along before a year was up from his first issue.

Doom85

That's not really an excuse. There is no reason why they can't make it light hearted and family friendly. Just change the source material slightly.

That‘s more than changing the source material “slightly”. Why do kids have to see a Batman movie so immediately? There’s no loss if a kid never sees a new Batman movie until they’re 8-10 or something, there‘s tons of fictional characters and series they can enjoy without disrespecting a specific Batman comic.

Imagine asking Warner Bros. to change the Harry Potter books ”slightly” by toning down the darker shift of the second half of the series. No, fuck that, I don’t care if a six year old can’t handle it, the little guy can wait a few years, it won’t kill them. Don’t bite the hand of the majority audience who enjoys this IP, teens and adults, just to cater to a few kids. It would be an idiotic move.

He‘s not playing Batman in the DCEU.

That‘s more than changing the source material “slightly”. Why do kids have to see a Batman movie so immediately? There’s no loss if a kid never sees a new Batman movie until they’re 8-10 or something, there‘s tons of fictional characters and series they can enjoy without disrespecting a specific Batman comic.

Imagine asking Warner Bros. to change the Harry Potter books ”slightly” by toning down the darker shift of the second half of the series. No, fuck that, I don’t care if a six year old can’t handle it, the little guy can wait a few years, it won’t kill them. Don’t bite the hand of the majority audience who enjoys this IP, teens and adults, just to cater to a few kids. It would be an idiotic move.

He‘s not playing Batman in the DCEU.
Just watch

FunkMiller

Gold Member
James Gunn has already confirmed Clooney will not be playing the DCU Batman.

That ending scene really was idiotic, especially when you've already stated that The Flash reboots the DCEU. People are bound to come away having heard that, thinking Clooney is going to be in future movies. They shouldn't have included it at all.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That ending scene really was idiotic, especially when you've already stated that The Flash reboots the DCEU. People are bound to come away having heard that, thinking Clooney is going to be in future movies. They shouldn't have included it at all.

Miller isn't in his original universe. He's messed things up so much that he can't return. This is a new universe now... The DCU. One in which he isn't coming to (Miller is done). The DCEU is no more... It's been rebooted into the DCU. A lot is new, some are the same. The Clooney at the end is meant as a gag. That's it!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Miller isn't in his original universe. He's messed things up so much that he can't return. This is a new universe now... The DCU. One in which he isn't coming to (Miller is done). The DCEU is no more... It's been rebooted into the DCU. A lot is new, some are the same. The Clooney at the end is meant as a gag. That's it!

Yes, it is meant as a gag, but plenty of people now think Clooney is the new Batman... which is understandable, given what Gunn said.

Dude should have just kept his mouth shut about this film and let it die the deserved death it has without him complicating it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yes, it is meant as a gag, but plenty of people now think Clooney is the new Batman... which is understandable, given what Gunn said.

Dude should have just kept his mouth shut about this film and let it die the deserved death it has without him complicating it.
Meh. I'm looking forward to the future. The DCEU is dead. Bury it!

Top Bottom