• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash reviews are in

FunkMiller

Good lord. Pictures now leaking of
the speed force cameos

home alone hd GIF

I wasn’t going to see this anyway, because I don’t hate myself… but everything now coming out makes me even more pleased I’m avoiding this.

Hell, I’m avoiding anything WB put out that’s DC other than The Batman sequel. They are fucking hopeless at this.

the speed force cameos

home alone hd GIF

I wasn’t going to see this anyway, because I don’t hate myself… but everything now coming out makes me even more pleased I’m avoiding this.

Hell, I’m avoiding anything WB put out that’s DC other than The Batman sequel. They are fucking hopeless at this.
but keaton tho

Sleepwalker

the speed force cameos

home alone hd GIF

Hahaha I just read them, theres no way they picked that guy for the arrowverse or
nick cage

this movie is a trainwreck

FunkMiller

Try not to laugh challenge:

image.png

While I find most of the stuff surrounding this movie hilarious... this genuinely makes me pretty angry. To
bring him back in shoddy CGI for a few seconds 'memberberry bullshit for those dumb enough to pay money to see this shit is pretty appalling. Dead men as nostalgia bait.

We've fallen a long way from Nolan.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I actually find this offensive… not hyperbole.

Agreed. The more I think about it, the more angry it makes me. Yes, I know it's just 'nerd rage' but that man is still Superman to millions upon millions of people - not just for his film portrayal, but all the things he did after the accident that paralysed him and eventually claimed his life.

They couldn't even be fucking bothered to find footage of his performance. Just made a shitty CGI deepfake, and slapped it up on screen. Fuck them, and fuck anyone that supports this piece of shit.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

They literally took a
30 year old comedy monologue from Kevin Smith, and based a sequence in a 200 million dollar movie on it.

Remember how they had to change the Oscars because The Dark Knight was unfairly not given best picture?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Now projected to earn only 155 million opening weekend worldwide:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/the-flash-box-office-prediction-ezra-miller-dc-1235416323/

Which means it'll struggle to clear 400 million in total, and that will be a gigantic flop. Absolutely glorious.

This will finally - FINALLY - be the end of this stupid, shitty, poorly conceived, worse executed turd of a cinematic universe*

We Did It Yes GIF

*other than Aquaman 2, which will bomb as well.

VulcanRaven

I just saw this and it was fun. Just don't expect too much and you will like it.
Michael Keaton was awesome but I wish the movie had even more of him. Batman action scenes were great but I wanted to know more about old Bruce Wayne. Almost all the movie Justice League members had roles so it felt wrong not to have Henry Cavill there. This movie had lots of bad cgi.

They literally took a
30 year old comedy monologue from Kevin Smith, and based a sequence in a 200 million dollar movie on it.

Remember how they had to change the Oscars because The Dark Knight was unfairly not given best picture?
Spoilers
20 year old. I liked the scene in the movie.

Last edited:
Boy that was... weird.

Honestly, I just got out of the theater and I'm not sure how I feel yet. I guess overall I had a good time, but man what a mixed bag this was.

Half the jokes were great, the other half fell flat on it's face. Half the story was emotional and well acted (Miller delivers when it counts), the other half is a confusing mess. Half the CGI looked fantastic, the other half is truly nightmare inducing (think Justice League mustache but in way more scenes).

It felt like they wanted to do everything at once, and throw in every cameo they could (except fucking Henry Cavill of course), and ultimately it just can't keep the quality consisting.

Thing is, when this movie works, it works really well.

The first act is pretty much a really well done mini-Justice League movie, with great running, action and slo-mo scenes. I won't spoil anything, but man that first act felt like redemption for Ben Affleck. Truly awesome.

Keaton steals every scene he is in, and Supergirl, although I was skeptical about it going in, was surprisingly great.

When everything comes together, with some kick ass music, beautiful shots and fun action, I was having a blast.

But then the very next scene featured CGI faces from hell, and then two scenes later the story takes a turn that makes the entire last hour feel like it was meaningless. And then the next scene felt emotional and meaningful again. Whiplash the movie!

I don't think it's trash, and I can say that they tried to do something quite different and unique when compared to other superhero movies. The highs are high and the lows are not quite low enough to ruin the entire thing.

It's just... messy. There's a great movie buried somewhere underneath, maybe it they cut about 30 to 45 minutes from it and polished up the rest.

It's safe to say you can wait for this one to hit streaming.

6/10

VulcanRaven

Now projected to earn only 155 million opening weekend worldwide:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/the-flash-box-office-prediction-ezra-miller-dc-1235416323/

Which means it'll struggle to clear 400 million in total, and that will be a gigantic flop. Absolutely glorious.

This will finally - FINALLY - be the end of this stupid, shitty, poorly conceived, worse executed turd of a cinematic universe*

We Did It Yes GIF

*other than Aquaman 2, which will bomb as well.
I hope this does well because I want that Batgirl movie. Maybe they could change their mind and release it on Max as a Elseworld movie if this does well. Unlikely.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just saw it.

It's aight. Some really cool moments, it’s a fun movie. The insane hype we got from the media pre release however is not warranted AT ALL.

Very often Ezra’s acting and humor annoyed the hell out of me, his voice sounded different than in JL, nagging, feminine? Just annoying to me, sorry.

The action was good, but often it was too chaotic, went from one to another way too fast and just felt off. But it's a fun watch. I have a sub to my cinema, so I go, but I wouldn't pay specifically for this.

It’s crazy to me if they keep working with this guy though. I kinda want to say it’s crazy in itself that Keaton, Affleck are crazy to be fine working with him, but that’s probably not fair. This movie was long in the making, right? Maybe back then Ezra was still “normal”.

But right now shit isn't sitting right with me. Mofos canceled Depp, but Miller? Nah, it's fine, nothing to see here. Fuck outta here.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'll take her over the last couple shitty supergirls
diD7CTv.jpg

New girl seems aight :p

I would have preferred a blonde myself as a herd of brunette heroines kinda blends together but at least on the surface it looks like she could be the cousin to any of our Supermen unless they changed her backstory significantly.

The need to make these aliens related (to prevent the inevitable "why don't these two hook up and stop messing with fragile humans?" question) does kinda put casting in a bind if you want to stop serving the story and focus on optics. The heavier reliance on secret/alter identities in the DC universe also makes it tricky. MCU was pretty smart to just dump it all aside from Spidey.

FunkMiller

I hope this does well because I want that Batgirl movie. Maybe they could change their mind and release it on Max as a Elseworld movie if this does well. Unlikely.

They can't ever release the Batgirl movie, because it was written off as a tax deductible for the company.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They can't ever release the Batgirl movie, because it was written off as a tax deductible for the company.

It sucks. But with the reboot, it makes sense to scrap it. I just wish it was able to be released as an elseworlds... Even though Zaslav and company said it was atrocious. Who wrote the script? Hodson?

FunkMiller

It sucks. But with the reboot, it makes sense to scrap it. I just wish it was able to be released as an elseworlds... Even though Zaslav and company said it was atrocious. Who wrote the script? Hodson?

Yes. Hodson as well, who also wrote Birds Of Prey and The Flash. What a C.V.

I'd say it's very much better left on the cutting room floor for all eternity.

VulcanRaven

Yes. Hodson as well, who also wrote Birds Of Prey and The Flash. What a C.V.

I'd say it's very much better left on the cutting room floor for all eternity.
It just feels wrong that there is almost finished movie with Michael Keaton Batman that we are not going to see.

Batgirl set photos:
batgirl-movie-set-005.jpg

batgirl-movie-set-006.jpg

Last edited:

Doom85

I won't spoil anything, but man that first act felt like redemption for Ben Affleck. Truly awesome.

I assume you mean in the writing department? As far as I’m concerned, Ben was great in every appearance performance wise (mind you, I’ve not gotten around to the Snyder cut of JL yet), it’s just the writing didn’t always do him favors. Though I do raise an eyebrow at fans who greatly criticize Ben’s Batman for killing criminals (in a kind of collateral way), but will praise the Burton films despite that Batman doing the same thing, even smiling about it in one part (just like with Ben, not Keaton’s fault, neither of them wrote their films).

For me, Ben is the most consistent between the two personas, not necessarily the best in either but well balanced. Keaton killed it as Bats but I find his Bruce just good, Bale killed it as Bruce but his Bats was just good (granted, the voice doesn’t bother me like it does some), and Pattinson killed it as Bats but his Bruce threw me off with being so different (though I concede this aspect is designed to mature in the sequels). Affleck I thought was great as both, not a master in either, but well balanced regardless.

Also, you didn’t mention them, how were Zod and Faora handled in the film? Without saying anything too spoiler-y, of course.

sendit

diD7CTv.jpg

New girl seems aight :p

I would have preferred a blonde myself as a herd of brunette heroines kinda blends together but at least on the surface it looks like she could be the cousin to any of our Supermen unless they changed her backstory significantly.

The need to make these aliens related (to prevent the inevitable "why don't these two hook up and stop messing with fragile humans?" question) does kinda put casting in a bind if you want to stop serving the story and focus on optics. The heavier reliance on secret/alter identities in the DC universe also makes it tricky. MCU was pretty smart to just dump it all aside from Spidey.
Just came back from watching the movie. Best part of the movie was Supergirl.

Yoda

Not that I'm a comic book movie person, but this seems somewhat better than the recent garbage that's come out, but nothing special? Hopefully if Marvel keeps dropping the ball and DC continues to fail... maybe we'll finally go back to making non super hero movies lol.

I thought this was going to be a total disaster considering Birds of Prey was complete shit, but it was a surprisingly good film overall. The writers and director did their homework when it comes to Keaton's Batman and his level of tech, and as someone who adored that particular Batman, I really appreciated that. The movie is a bit of a mess at times to be sure (most time travel movies are), but like I said, overall it's a solid 7/10.

Also, I loved that we finally got to see Burton's Superman on screen, even though it was CG. The moment I saw the giant spider I started laughing so hard. It's the perfect cameo + joke for those that know.

I assume you mean in the writing department? As far as I’m concerned, Ben was great in every appearance performance wise (mind you, I’ve not gotten around to the Snyder cut of JL yet), it’s just the writing didn’t always do him favors. Though I do raise an eyebrow at fans who greatly criticize Ben’s Batman for killing criminals (in a kind of collateral way), but will praise the Burton films despite that Batman doing the same thing, even smiling about it in one part (just like with Ben, not Keaton’s fault, neither of them wrote their films).

For me, Ben is the most consistent between the two personas, not necessarily the best in either but well balanced. Keaton killed it as Bats but I find his Bruce just good, Bale killed it as Bruce but his Bats was just good (granted, the voice doesn’t bother me like it does some), and Pattinson killed it as Bats but his Bruce threw me off with being so different (though I concede this aspect is designed to mature in the sequels). Affleck I thought was great as both, not a master in either, but well balanced regardless.

Also, you didn’t mention them, how were Zod and Faora handled in the film? Without saying anything too spoiler-y, of course.

I meant it more as in Affleck got kind of screwed in regards to his Batman movie, so I was kind of assuming we'd never see him as that character again (maybe a small cameo at best), so I was really happy that he got to shine again in this film. I agree with you, he's pretty damn great.

As for Zod and Faora (without spoiling anything), they were a lot of fun, but they're not on screen all that much (relative to the length of the film). I'd say they are more there to serve as an important plot point in Barry's story, rather than them being the end-goal for the third act, but what is there was quite enjoyable. They are intimidating, badass and involved in some great action scenes. It's a fun callback to MoS whilst taking the characters in a slightly different direction.

Overall I think you'll be pretty happy with how they are portrayed, as long as you keep in mind that they are not the focus of the movie overall.

You guys understand nothing, those poor VFX are a design choice

Haha, I'm sure it was. Whatever helps the director sleep at night I guess. Those
babies
are going to give people nightmares.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it, just watched it tonight, no idea about the character as I pretty much only know Batman from DC but it was fun.
However, my theatre tonight, was not even half full... hope it does okay.

Top Bottom