• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash reviews are in

FunkMiller

You guys understand nothing, those poor VFX are a design choice

Not sure 'we made the effects in this movie look fucking awful on purpose' is quite the zinger he was hoping for.

This felt like a Wachowski movie. Like someone smashed Speed Racer and the last part of Matrix Revolutions together. It was glorious.
All that Scorpion King CGI did not bother me. It is what it is, who cares. The visual concept was great, the execution less so, who cares.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
HBO Max opening for The Flash:

1686927470-fyudoleakaifmkz.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've not seen much about AM2 (it's been done and in the bag for a while now, right?) but they will likely walk right into the same problem as Flash had with Ezra.

DC always rolling those snake-eyes. MCU has gotten dealt some bad actor cards as well but at least those have mostly been between films. They JUST squeaked by with Majors and whats her name the anti-vaxxer where they have some time to pivot or for the fervor to cool, plus Boseman, sadly. But DC, just stopping those punches with their face...

ManaByte

I've not seen much about AM2 (it's been done and in the bag for a while now, right?) but they will likely walk right into the same problem as Flash had with Ezra.

DC always rolling those snake-eyes. MCU has gotten dealt some bad actor cards as well but at least those have mostly been between films. They JUST squeaked by with Majors and whats her name the anti-vaxxer where they have some time to pivot or for the fervor to cool, plus Boseman, sadly. But DC, just stopping those punches with their face...
One version of AM2 they tested had Mera dying off-screen in childbirth. Don’t know if they kept that version.

Doom85

Cinema Snob gives it a B+/A- (leans slightly more towards A-)

This is a good sign for me, I don’t always agree with Brad, but even when I disagree with him, I will virtually always get where he’s coming from, which is more than I can say for plenty of other reviewers and audience members’ opinions on some movies. He’s also very good at being unbiased, even if he dislikes something, he’ll often consider if the film was legit bad all around or if it was rather designed to appeal to a different audience or such that might not be for him.

FunkMiller

This is a good sign for me, I don’t always agree with Brad, but even when I disagree with him, I will virtually always get where he’s coming from, which is more than I can say for plenty of other reviewers and audience members’ opinions on some movies. He’s also very good at being unbiased, even if he dislikes something, he’ll often consider if the film was legit bad all around or if it was rather designed to appeal to a different audience or such that might not be for him.

The cinemascore will be interesting. I'm going with B.

Doom85

I love the DCU Animated universe, but the Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons of the mid 90s did it first.

I mean, a proper connected universe, the 90’s Spider-man cartoon just had him occasionally team up with various other heroes and I don’t remember much of an ongoing plot tied into those other heroes (as in character arcs for them specifically, obviously Spidey himself had arcs throughout all of this). And I don’t remember the X-men cartoon really connecting with anything else. Plus there was no Avengers cartoon (the Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon series was its own continuity). So it wasn’t like the DCAU or MCU in my book, otherwise stuff like Superfriends or that old Spidey cartoon where he teams up with Human Torch would also count.

The DCAU actually felt connected. Now Batman TAS’ stories mostly only went into Batman Beyond, but there were some plots and set ups in Superman TAS were continued in Justice League/JLU, such as the brief time Superman was brainwashed, or Darkseid’s murder of Dan Turpin. They even briefly tied into Batman Beyond. Now, IIRC Static Shock was connected but chose to mostly stand on its own but that fit the show. There was also the Zeta Project, but I never watched it, and honestly most people don’t even seem to know it existed at all.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I saw it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. It doesn't live up to some of the earlier reviews I saw but I can easily recommend it. But yes, some of the CGI is absolutely atrocious.

ManaByte

I actually loved it. Keaton showed up, Supergirl is great. The Flash stuff was done well despite Ezra shitting up the character. Better than Black Adam or Shazam 2.

AmuroChan

Just came back from the Flash. Here're my thoughts...

Good:
- Keaton is still the man
- Miller's performance
- The humor mostly hits
- Sasha Calle makes a good Supergirl

Bad:
- CGI in some parts of the film were CW-level bad
- Too little screentime for Supergirl
- 3rd act felt rushed and convoluted

AmuroChan

Elemental looks to be an enormous bomb.
Honestly curious if the cost to market and the theater's take if it would be less of a tremendous loss just throwing it on the Disney+ content pile?

If they throw it on Disney+ and it doesn't lead to an increase in subs, then it's an even bigger loss. At least with a theatrical release, they can recoup some of the losses even if it only makes a couple hundred million dollars globally, which is what Lightyear made.

trikster40

I reaaaaaly enjoyed it. Yes, there was some bad CGI, but man, the movie was fun. Actually laughed out lid several times, several “Ah Man!” Moments. The end is a CMB dream turned reality.

Stay away from spoilers! You do not want anything ruined!

Xenon

Enjoyed The Flash more than I expected. It's simply a fun movie that had surprising emotional weight. But once again DC blows a great story arch by condensing into a single film.

As.far as Ezra, he did an amazing job. Someone made a good point about him. "I'd rather have a drugged out of control actor than some woke preaching one any day." Considering 80s-90s cinema was fueled by cocaine that makes a lot of sense to me.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I thought it was a good movie. At some point it did drag on for too long, honestly, they need to start cutting down movies to 2hrs top. I did see the "surprise" ending coming tho, which was cute. Ezra Miller was good, tho I have to say his body doesn't match his face. He has a very boyish face with a very manly body.

overall 8/10.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You guys understand nothing, those poor VFX are a design choice

Just saw it tonight. I understood it as that. The Speed Force is supposed to look different than normal reality. And I figured that before I actually read the article.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Just saw it tonight. I understood it as that. The Speed Force is supposed to look different than normal reality. And I figured that before I actually read the article.
Even if it is a "creative choice", it's a shitty one. And I have to disagree it's just WB cutting the fees.

ManaByte

The people who actually watch the movie understand that because they have the context of all of the speed force scenes that take place throughout the movie and how those are meant to look.

The people turning bootleg screen captures into memes to support their #FireDavidZaslavand #RestoreTheSnyderverse social media spam never intended to see the movie so they’re just acting like ignorant idiots.

DrFigs

I really liked it. Saw it with a good audience who liked it as well. Probably the best DC universe movie made so far - even better than James Gunn's Suicide Squad imo. The one thing that was really bad was the CGI. The movie's really ambitious and it's understandable where some scenes have bad CGI because of that; and some of it is excusable. But then even the mundane stuff has bad CGI. Stuff that didn't need to be computer generated in the first place. Like Batman riding his motorcycle 5 minutes into the movie looks like dogshit. It's really awful and there's nothing going on with it - there's no explosions or monsters or anything. It's just Batman talking on the phone while on a bike.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Nah, it's nonsensical. The difference in power levels between those characters is too immense. Supe would be able to turn everyone in this pic into mush in a few seconds. Batman isn't even a super. He is just a strong guy with gadgets.

They need to be in their separate stories. They completely lost me with all that "universe" crap.

Exactly! Black Widow alongside of Hulk/Vision/Thor/Scarlet Witch/Captain Marvel/et cetera was different.

Oh, wait...

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Maybe the director is a YUGE fan of The Lawnmower Man and Max Headroom?

CNZs7JG.jpg
cDHppU0.jpg
It all makes sense now! It's an homage!
Btw there is also some shots of Dwayne Johnson playing Superman/Batman in alternate timeline:

FyzdNYzWAAQQ5Q-

Quite amazing, I love to see strong creative vision in movies.

Last edited:

ManaByte

More shots from that strong, beautiful and incredibly well done creative vision:

image.png
Fy0AjAkagAgZ12Z

Luckily ManaByte ManaByte is here to explain to us, poor stupid people who want decent special effects in 2023, why it's Snyder's or his fans' fault.

Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network
The Flash director gets to make the next Batman. Snyder is so blacklisted he’s reduced to making direct to streaming movies for Netflix.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The Flash director gets to make the next Batman. Snyder is so blacklisted he’s reduced to making direct to streaming movies for Netflix.
Blacklisted? Any source on that or you just like to talk with your ass? Btw, every person who worked with Zack has nothing to say but praise like Michael Shannon recently. The same can't be said about many director, or pedogunn.

Anyway, I can't fuckin wait for the new DCU to start. It's gonna be a massive shitshow. "Blue Beetle is the first character of the DCU, but Superman Legacy is the first movie" LMAO what the fuck is this supposed to mean 🤣
But uh yeah, you won Snyder won't do any DC movies, you will get your Marvel style DCU and you'll be happy. Enjoy the ride!

FunkMiller

Also, part of the reason for The Flash's failure is still the fact it's the DCEU. I'm seeing Snyder fans celebrating its rightful demise, with absolutely zero comprehension of the fact that the audience are sick of the DCEU as a whole.... which still includes the bits Snyder came up with: Ezra Miller as The Flash, Ben Affleck as Batman, all the Man Of Steel stuff. This flop doesn't vindicate Snyder's creative decisions. It further undermines them.

FunkMiller

But uh yeah, you won Snyder won't do any DC movies, you will get your Marvel style DCU and you'll be happy. Enjoy the ride!

The only thing I'll be enjoying is The Batman series, because that's the only actual good thing WB have done with DC for a decade. I doubt very much I'll have much love for the DCU - which will be just another greed fuelled chase for the shared universe dollar.

ManaByte

Blacklisted? Any source on that or you just like to talk with your ass? Btw, every person who worked with Zack has nothing to say but praise like Michael Shannon recently. The same can't be said about many director, or pedogunn.

No Hollywood studio will touch him after that. Netflix takes anyone because they just want to spam content no matter how shit it is.

DKehoe

Using CGI to have a dead person make a cameo in a film always feels weird. But the George Reeves one feels particularly weird considering the circumstances of his life and death.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Also, part of the reason for The Flash's failure is still the fact it's the DCEU. I'm seeing Snyder fans celebrating its rightful demise, with absolutely zero comprehension of the fact that the audience are sick of the DCEU as a whole.... which still includes the bits Snyder came up with: Ezra Miller as The Flash, Ben Affleck as Batman, all the Man Of Steel stuff. This flop doesn't vindicate Snyder's creative decisions. It further undermines them.
I mean BvS was in 2016! Let it go, you can't say this movie or Snyder are responsible for everything. Bird of Prey, Josstice League, WW84, WB and his mismanagement, announcing Cavill back and then... well no oops sorry.
All of that is why WB is in this position now. ZSJL was a massive success btw, generating a real interest for what would come next.

No Hollywood studio will touch him after that. Netflix takes anyone because they just want to spam content no matter how shit it is.
So where does it is said in this article that no studio want to work with him? Please, tell me. Or... no this can't be... you just make stuff up because you act like a teenager?
And how many was it again? 8% of all the account where (supposed) bots right? That shit is ridiculous and you know it.

Something that is sure tho, is that Affleck don't want to work with PedoGunn LMAO even if PedoGunn said "yeah love him he is the best we are working together just had an appointment with him for future DC projects".
PedoGunn has been lying since he got the job and it's gonna backfire big time.

FunkMiller

I mean BvS was in 2016! Let it go, you can't say this movie or Snyder are responsible for everything. Bird of Prey, Josstice League, WW84, WB and his mismanagement, announcing Cavill back and then... well no oops sorry.
All of that is why WB is in this position now. ZSJL was a massive success btw, generating a real interest for what would come next.

Did I say everything? A lot goes into making a movie flop. But part of why The Flash flopped is because it's still a DCEU movie to the general audience. You Snyder fans just can't even admit to the fact your boy is partially responsible for the mess of the last decade with the DC IP. He's not the only one to blame, but he sure as hell is part of it.

And ZSJL was not a massive success, and didn't generate shit. Otherwise there would have been more coming. There isn't. It was made due to a largely faked campaign on Twitter, and sank without a trace a few weeks after it aired on HBO Max. Successful stuff leads to more stuff. That clearly is not happening.

I'm 100% with you on what's likely to happen with Gunn's DCU, but the last guy who was a success for WB and DC was Chris Nolan. Snyder failed, Hamada failed, Johns failed, Whedon failed. They all failed.

Also, what's with the weird PedoGunn shit? You sound a little deranged.

Last edited:

This article is bullshit. 13% bots is well within the norm.
The Flash is a sequel to ZSJL. It directly references it - twice.
The CGI is bad because it's bad. The Supermen look like shit when we see them in their own worlds, not through the speedforce filter. The babies look like shit in normal time. The money was spent on the double Barry effect, which was the correct decision.
We already saw Barry's slow motion perspective in other movies, nobody looked like a wax statue. And neither does Zod when he focuses on Barry here.

Doom85

"Blue Beetle is the first character of the DCU, but Superman Legacy is the first movie" LMAO what the fuck is this supposed to mean 🤣

Frustrated Come On GIF

Bruh, Blue Beetle was already well into production, or mostly finished, when they decided to make the transition into a new universe. So the BB movie is simply just being placed after Flash so the character and his origin will be fully canon in the new universe. It doesn’t mean he‘s the first hero to emerge in that universe either, especially since the trailer references Batman (who will likely have been active for at least 12 or so years if they’re bringing in Damien Wayne), and also the trailer implies Ted Kord was the previous Blue Beetle before Jaime just like in the comics.

Superman Legacy was called the “the true beginning” of the DCU because it’s the first film made specifically for the new universe in mind (Creature Commandos is a cartoon series, and Waller is a TV series). Hell, the film’s events may even be set before the events of the BB film, I mean Captain America 1 mostly took place before Iron Man 1 and 2 and Thor 1.

I’m just baffled so many people can’t seem to get what Gunn meant here. It REALLY wasn’t complicated. The only really unclear thing is Aquaman 2 releasing after Flash, so will Aquaman 2 specify it’s set before the events of Flash, or are they keeping Momoa as Aquaman in the new universe? I mean, they’re keeping Voila Davis as Waller, which annoyingly is somehow confusing people as well (were people this confused when Judi Dench kept playing M in the new James Bond continuity in 2006? …oh wait, they were, *sigh*, seriously why do people think a new continuity means ALL the actors have to change?)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Did I say everything? A lot goes into making a movie flop. But part of why The Flash flopped is because it's still a DCEU movie to the general audience. You Snyder fans just can't even admit to the fact your boy is partially responsible for the mess of the last decade with the DC IP. He's not the only one to blame, but he sure as hell is part of it.
No I fully understand that Snyder made a divisive movie, hell that's why it's still talked now when The Suicide Squad is already forgotten. Still I'd rather get a BvS than anything that came after.
My point is that WB could have "corrected" the course but they choose to do shitty movies

And ZSJL was not a massive success, and didn't generate shit. Otherwise there would have been more coming. There isn't. It was made due to a largely faked campaign on Twitter, and sank without a trace a few weeks after it aired on HBO Max. Successful stuff leads to more stuff. That clearly is not happening.
It crashed HBO Max and saw a massive increase in subscription. For me it's the sign of a success. And again that article is bullshit, as 13% bots is just in line with any other mouvement (there was a bigger number of bots for Endgame for example)
But that ask you to in form yourself and not believing the first thing that fit your narrative so...
I'm 100% with you on what's likely to happen with Gunn's DCU, but the last guy who was a success for WB and DC was Chris Nolan. Snyder failed, Hamada failed, Johns failed, Whedon failed. They all failed.
I mean, define success? Because last I check of course BvS was not a billion dollar movie (with inflation it would be today but whatever) but still managed to do quite well. And those latter movies didn't perform because they were shit, Marvel style movies.

FikJMqVVsAAXB5D.jpg:large

Also, what's with the weird PedoGunn shit? You sound a little deranged.
It's mostly to troll ManaByte ManaByte , I love it I can't help 😊
BUT if you search a bit, there is some... weird shit going on with Gunn (and I'm not talking about those stupid jokes on Twitter)

Frustrated Come On GIF

Bruh, Blue Beetle was already well into production, or mostly finished, when they decided to make the transition into a new universe. So the BB movie is simply just being placed after Flash so the character and his origin will be fully canon in the new universe. It doesn’t mean he‘s the first hero to emerge in that universe either, especially since the trailer references Batman (who will likely have been active for at least 12 or so years if they’re bringing in Damien Wayne), and also the trailer implies Ted Kord was the previous Blue Beetle before Jaime just like in the comics.

Superman Legacy was called the “the true beginning” of the DCU because it’s the first film made specifically for the new universe in mind (Creature Commandos is a cartoon series, and Waller is a TV series). Hell, the film’s events may even be set before the events of the BB film, I mean Captain America 1 mostly took place before Iron Man 1 and 2 and Thor 1.

I’m just baffled so many people can’t seem to get what Gunn meant here. It REALLY wasn’t complicated. The only really unclear thing is Aquaman 2 releasing after Flash, so will Aquaman 2 specify it’s set before the events of Flash, or are they keeping Momoa as Aquaman in the new universe? I mean, they’re keeping Voila Davis as Waller, which annoyingly is somehow confusing people as well (were people this confused when Judi Dench kept playing M in the new James Bond continuity in 2006? …oh wait, they were, *sigh*, seriously why do people think a new continuity means ALL the actors have to change?)
Well if that make sense for you, enjoy! Imo it's gonna be a shitshow, and I'm here for it.

Doom85

BUT if you search a bit, there is some... weird shit going on with Gunn (and I'm not talking about those stupid jokes on Twitter)

Well if that make sense for you, enjoy! Imo it's gonna be a shitshow, and I'm here for it.

Well, googling “James Gunn controversy” and even “James Gunn children” and all I find is stuff taking about said old tweets. Which has been stated countless times, he apologized long before those tweets were dug up by a Neo Nazi who was triggered that Gunn made mocked Tru-….um, err, a certain guy with the same first name as a cartoon duck, in the hopes that Gunn would be fired for it (and almost succeeded, but luckily cooler heads prevailed because FUCK NAZIS).

If there is actual articles from reliable sources on anything sketchy Gunn has done or said recently, I’m not seeing anything.

IMO Gunn has been one of the most consistently solid names in superhero adaptations so I think it will be mostly a damn good time.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Watched it. Its an average comic book movie. Not the best, but at least its better than the Zack Synder's trashes that killed this cinematic universe.

Young Barry is annoying as hell.

Top Bottom