• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

So originally Reverse Flash kills mom, then loses powers and is trapped.

Now, the scenario is that he goes to kill mom, vanishes from the timeline and another version of him kills the mom and returns Barry to the present (also squeezing in a shaving session).

How does that not mess up Season 1's story of Reverse Flash parading as Wells? Wouldn't that mean Reverse Flash is no longer ever stranded in the past?!

a7Yyjg8.gif

Don't expect consistent logic from this show. Things will only be undone if the writers will it.

jobrro

And here I thought they introduced time wraiths to make Barry think twice about time travel.

Well there wasn't anything THAT bad about Flashpoint universe. There was an alcoholic and an injured but should be healing at an increased rate (but for no reason I can see isn't) dude. Stuff was different but Barry seemed happy enough with that for three months.

I figured it was the threat of time/time wraiths as well as memory loss that got Barry longing for the previous existence of events. He was happy. Memories were fading, but if you weren't going to return would that matter? He had the girl, got
or kidnapped
the team together. So I figured the other things Reverse said like time coming for them, combined with the other stuff,

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ya'll just salty cause Barry will be getting canonically smashed by Iris someday.

... some day.

Mariolee

So originally Reverse Flash kills mom, then loses powers and is trapped.

Now, the scenario is that he goes to kill mom, vanishes from the timeline and another version of him kills the mom and returns Barry to the present (also squeezing in a shaving session).

How does that not mess up Season 1's story of Reverse Flash parading as Wells? Wouldn't that mean Reverse Flash is no longer ever stranded in the past?!

a7Yyjg8.gif

Shag11.jpg

I suggest you do not worry yourself about this sort of thing... and just enjoy yourself

Shag15.jpg

That goes for you all too

Perfect lol

Ya'll just salty cause Barry will be getting canonically smashed by Iris someday.

... some day.

This is the CW, so it'll be a long time. Expect an engagement in season 5, HOW COULD YOU OLLIBUR breakup in season 6, and Iris just dying or something in season 7.

Joni

Eobard is such an asshole, there is literally no reason for him to change the timeline more.
And oooo for Alchemy.

Magwik

Banned
Well there wasn't anything THAT bad about Flashpoint universe. There was an alcoholic and an injured but should be healing at an increased rate (but for no reason I can see isn't) dude. Stuff was different but Barry seemed happy enough with that for three months.

I figured it was the threat of time/time wraiths as well as memory loss that got Barry longing for the previous existence of events. He was happy. Memories were fading, but if you weren't going to return would that matter? He had the girl, got
or kidnapped
the team together. So I figured the other things Reverse said like time coming for them, combined with the other stuff,
Wally wasn't healing because Barry was using all of the Speedforce, correct?

Tovarisc

Don't expect consistent logic from this show. Things will only be undone if the writers will it.

When in doubt Speedforce. Just like in comics.

Eobard is such an asshole, there is literally no reason for him to change the timeline more.
And oooo for Alchemy.

I doubt it was Eobard's fault that original timeline got altered by Flashpoint and him correcting it by killing Barry's mother. He is a lot more experienced Speedster than young Barry is at this point and has actual knowledge about what messing with time can and will do to timelines and people in them. So him laughing at Barry about how everything isn't like they used to be is just him showing that he knows more than Barry.

Tovarisc

My guess is in the new timeline Reverse Flash is still alive.

It would mean Eddie is still alive which most likely would mean him being together with Iris which would mean bullshit relationship drama in triangle formation.

Please no, say it isn't so. Olicity already causes brain bleeds.

I thought the new timeline was going to last for more than just one episode. Also not a fan of Kid Flash's costume. It was like Wally had no neck.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
It would mean Eddie is still alive which most likely would mean him being together with Iris which would mean bullshit relationship drama in triangle formation.

Ooooooooooh.

Edit: So, this has always bothered me about Flashpoint...shouldn't there be two Barrys? Kid Barry and Adult Barry?? Where did Kid Barry go? Or does time fold in on itself to catch up to Barrys current age and Kid Barry merges into Adult Barry?

Considering all the time travel shenanigans so far, I'm surprised they haven't brought Eddie back to life yet.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They should have just given The Rival a leather jacket and a domino mask. I thought that costume was going to fall apart just from me looking at it

carlsojo

They should have just given The Rival a leather jacket and a domino mask. I thought that costume was going to fall apart just from me looking at it

I kind of liked how crappy it was. Like the Rival is clearly some idiot who got speedforce powers. He's the kind of guy who thinks flames look good on a car paintjob and it shows in his suit.

Tovarisc

Does anyone get the giggles everytime Iris is on screen?

Giggles? What do you mean by it, am I missing some cultural meaning for term "giggles"?

I hope this paradox Iris will be more like her Earth-2 counterpart. More confident and not afraid to express herself. Earth-1 iris has always felt insecure and shy about being herself and expressing herself.

strafer

Giggles? What do you mean by it, am I missing some cultural meaning for term "giggles"?

I hope this paradox Iris will be more like her Earth-2 counterpart. More confident and not afraid to express herself. Earth-1 iris has always felt insecure and shy about being herself and expressing herself.

No I mean she is so gorgeous you just start to giggle. That happens to me sometimes. :p

jobrro

Maybe I missed that part. Did they explain it in the episode? Because Wally was still speeding around at the same time as Barry, so I assumed they could both tap the speed force at the same time.

Parshias7

I'm gonna need a photoshop of that room in Barry's house with his mom on the floor and 20 different Flashes and Reverse Flashes all hanging around fighting and/or stopping each other from saving her.

The Light

I think Barry might have lost some of his speed so that he can't time travel and will be stuck with rebuilding relationships. Barry realized once again that the timeline is different so why wouldn't he go back and stop himself from interrupting RF?

Also what could RF do to the timeline without messing with his own future of being born?

Tovarisc

Maybe I missed that part. Did they explain it in the episode? Because Wally was still speeding around at the same time as Barry, so I assumed they could both tap the speed force at the same time.

Speedforce basically is one of the cosmic powers that speedsters are able to tap into and use. No one speedster is able to use it all him- or herself and run out of it. Speedsters can lose connection to speedforce or speedforce itself can deny speedster from tapping into it. Barry struggled with this connection during S02, we even had episode(s) where Barry was inside of speedforce.

How or why Wally wasn't healing was never explained in S03E01. Possible it even had nothing to do with speedforce.

--------

Robotvendingmachine's post about Reverse Flash being alive makes sense when you think about it. Barry's mother was killed by RF from Flashpoint timeline and like we see him being in the house overwrites RF from original timeline, even presence of original Flash gets overwritten. Also when he returns himself and Barry to "original" yet paradoxed timeline he still has his speed, he never lost it like RF from original timeline did.

Joni

I doubt it was Eobard's fault that original timeline got altered by Flashpoint and him correcting it by killing Barry's mother. He is a lot more experienced Speedster than young Barry is at this point and has actual knowledge about what messing with time can and will do to timelines and people in them. So him laughing at Barry about how everything isn't like they used to be is just him showing that he knows more than Barry.

He is more experienced and he was taunting Barry, which made me think he made some small changes on purpose. Something like distancing him from Iris would be typical.

Tovarisc

I think Barry might have lost some of his speed so that he can't time travel and will be stuck with rebuilding relationships. Barry realized once again that the timeline is different so why wouldn't he go back and stop himself from interrupting RF?

Also what could RF do to the timeline without messing with his own future of being born?

At some point Barry has to actually realize that he can't keep messing with time. He has to realize that every time he tries to go back and reverse mistakes he has done it will come with a price to him and to those closest to him. Time doesn't like to be messed with and even tiniest alteration to past can have devastating ripples in present. Kinda amazing how Barry is yet to acknowledge it. Still it's possible that we will see Barry going back in time one last-ish time and stops Season 2 Flash from stopping original Reverse Flash, which in theory should reset timeline and break paradoxes caused by Flashpoint.

Reverse Flash shouldn't exist anymore because Eddie is supposed to be dead. If Eddie is dead then RF will never be born because his ancestor has died before having children. So if Flashpoint altered timeline were to become true timeline it would mean Reverse Flash is alive which would mean Eddie is alive too. What RF would want to happen is that Flashpoint altered timeline doesn't get altered or reset back to original timeline, because in that one he is dead.

wamberz1

Really solid premiere. It hit all the right beats while doing the recap thing with the team and giving reverse flash more screen time, which is always a good thing.
Also, maybe I'm crazy and have to watch it again, but I thought the fight choreography during the battle with the rival was a big improvement over the fight scenes before. A lot more speed dodging and punching. I'll have to watch it again but I hope we continue to see this level of quality in the fight scenes from this points on.
And if anything these flashback scenes just remind me that, even if it can sometimes look terribad, the flash still has some of the best special effects on tv right now, and they never pull their punches.
When your girlfriend shows how much she loves you...
sayit2w1q06.gif
SOOOOOO good. Best TV villain hands down.

You know, I want to watch this but getting through 48 episodes or whatever to get caught up is daunting at the point in my life.

I wonder if I could get a list of essential episodes to watch and just go from there.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You know, I want to watch this but getting through 48 episodes or whatever to get caught up is daunting at the point in my life.

I wonder if I could get a list of essential episodes to watch and just go from there.

While there are undoubtedly filler episodes, I honestly don't think there's enough to make an essential list worthwhile. You're still going to be investing a significant amount of time.

But the Arrowverse shows have one thing in common: they're easy watches, for the most part. I remember powering through Arrow season 1 in about 4 days and was ready for the then-starting Season 2. I then told my friends to check this shit out and most of them did it in about the same amount of time. One friend managed to get caught up to Season 2's mid-season in less time than it took me to watch the whole first Season.

Just start watching and don't take "getting caught up" or whatever too seriously.

Tovarisc

I tried to google up if anyone has done any "Crucial to watch" lists for season 1 and 2, didn't find any :/ I would make one myself if I remembered properly what was somewhat throwaway filler and what are crucial for development of characters. Being able to jump in on S03E01 depends quite a bit on how much you know already about The Flash lore [characters and events] from comics and how willing you are to ask questions about previous events that get referred.

If you have okay knowledge of The Flash lore you can hit the ground running quite well and just need few spoilers from previous two seasons.

Edit: Also like morningbus says you should consider watching S01 and S02 fully. The Flash while not being best of the best TV out there is still very good series.

Joni

The problem is, many of the filler episodes in season 1 contain little hints towards the overall plot. Just watch everything. If the recommendation to a show is to skip half the episodes, than it is not a good show to watch.

msv

Uurggh, all this bullshit about not messing with time - when saving Barry's mom is actually correcting it. The entire series is in an altered timeline. Why would Barry preventing a time incursion have the effect of things not being 'right'?

And if Barry was happy with the changes, why would he care about losing his memories? Why are his memories more important than his parents and all his loved ones? And the timeline for that matter.

Tovarisc

The problem is, many of the filler episodes in season 1 contain little hints towards the overall plot. Just watch everything. If the recommendation to a show is to skip half the episodes, than it is not a good show to watch.

In most shows you can skip a lot of episodes and still get all crucial story stuff. Only more compact and pure narrative driven shows like Game of Thrones or The Expanse that have small seasons and no filler require you to watch it all in order to keep up with story. Both seasons of Flash have story stuff in fillers too, but also have those key episodes to story and by watching only those you can get whole story of the season.

Only if I could remember properly those ones and create such list.

While there are undoubtedly filler episodes, I honestly don't think there's enough to make an essential list worthwhile. You're still going to be investing a significant amount of time.

But the Arrowverse shows have one thing in common: they're easy watches, for the most part. I remember powering through Arrow season 1 in about 4 days and was ready for the then-starting Season 2. I then told my friends to check this shit out and most of them did it in about the same amount of time. One friend managed to get caught up to Season 2's mid-season in less time than it took me to watch the whole first Season.

Just start watching and don't take "getting caught up" or whatever too seriously.

I just need to focus and set some goals with this shit lol. It's gotten a bit more difficult these days though.

Tovarisc

Uurggh, all this bullshit about not messing with time - when saving Barry's mom is actually correcting it. The entire series is in an altered timeline. Why would Barry preventing a time incursion have the effect of things not being 'right'?

And if Barry was happy with the changes, why would he care about losing his memories? Why are his memories more important than his parents and all his loved ones? And the timeline for that matter.

We as people are shaped by our memories and experiences. In a sense if you erase those you erase who you are. Even if Barry was happy-ish in Flashpoint timeline he was also losing himself because his memory was in process of being erased. I would argue he was afraid of what he would become after losing all his memories and experiences from original timeline. Also his actions in Flashpoint timeline caused someone he cares about and loves to basically die, Wally's wound was pretty much fatal and he wasn't healing.

Also how saving Barry's mother corrects timeline? Even in comics she has to die in order for Barry to become person that he is so he can become The Flash that world needs. Having her alive would drastically alter his life and experiences resulting in very different kind person which would mean very different The Flash or maybe he never would become The Flash in first place? Reverse Flash was always meant to kill her, but in original timeline RF got stranded into the past and in his desperate need to get back into his time he just hastened Barry's timeline by 5 to 10 years.

Joni

Because he is realizing that many people in his environment aren't better off, especially when Wally looks to be dying at the end. As for the time correcting, there are probably other changes. For instance, Wells is nowhere to be seen in this universe so something happened with him that prevented the good timeline.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
My guess is that Barry will spend the entire season fixing the mess Flashpoint left behind.

Yup - last episode will be Barry running back to stop himself from saving his Mom in the first place which should set everything back to where it was.

Cissco Ramone

kisskopspkf.gif

I think it's pretty hilarious that she looks very much like Caitlin.

Just realized. Reverse flash didn't get stuck this time after killing Barry's mom since he brought Barry back. Oh man oh man. That's kinda huge.

I will laugh if Barry doesn't have his powers now. Another massive L for him to hold.

So if my calculator is working we have:

1. Young Barry
2. Barry that saves young Barry
3. Barry that goes back to stop RF
4. Barry that goes back to stop RF and gets stopped by a Barry
5. Barry who stops previous Barry
6. Barry who the RF brings with while he kills Barry's mom.

I think that's all the Barrys

Q8D3vil

After watching the tedious action of luke cage this show make me smile when i see the action scenes. Its like people who are doing the show really love their work..

Top Bottom