• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Unleashed 2 announced.

DihcarEM

Teaser:
SD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/star-wars-spike-tv/59816
HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/star-wars-spike-tv/59817

Official site: http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed2/

It seems that Starkiller(Sam Witwer) will return as the protagonist of the game, which is awesome news.

Spoilers about the teaser:
It is unclear what happend to Starkiller after the canon ending of the first game. He was presumed dead. From the teaser it seems as if he still has a choice to make, darkside(Vader's voice) or lightside(Yoda's voice). They are both equally confusing and torturing him until one voice(Juno, love-intrest from part one) stops all the confusion inside of him.

On the official website it says a trailer will be shown dec 14. I don't know if this is the same as the teaser we got from the VGA unveil or if its a totally new trailer with gameplay.
The game has been in the making for quite a while, inside rumors from E3 stated that they were already working on this. Hopefully we'll know more soon.
Any new info you can find concerning TFU2, please post it here.

Zenith

Banned
all the reviews were pretty consistent in identifying the problems with the first game. Only a total imbecile wouldn't be able to fix them for the sequel.

Right?

DodgerSan

Glad to see I'm not the only one looking forward to this. Really enjoyed the first one, despite it's flaws. Hopefully they'll make all content available without trying to fuck fans over with a special edition.

I don't know the general GAF consensus but I consider the first game one of my favorite point A to point B games to date. Its really one of those games you have to play to appreciate.

I find the plot we are given here confusing but that's par for the course with Star Wars. I hope Starkiller aka Samuel Witwer gets more chances to let his acting chops shine through.

DihcarEM

Jocchan said:
That final shot before the logo appears reminds me of some God of War artwork.

Nice, i do hope they change the gameplay fighting big monsters. In part 1 it got really boring after a few times.

Zenith said:
all the reviews were pretty consistent in identifying the problems with the first game. Only a total imbecile wouldn't be able to fix them for the sequel.

Right?

Exactly, they have no exuse to screw this up or bring it out too soon which was a big problem of the first TFU.
Too many glitches and flaws on account of them rushing it.

dudeguy24

Chris_C said:
Very true. I really hope this is better than the first, which was really let down by some really badly designed segments... like bringing down that cruiser, which took me three hours the first time because I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do.

Why did so many people have problems with this section? I passed this on my first try playing on hard :lol

DihcarEM

Urban Scholar said:
I don't know the general GAF consensus but I consider the first game one of my favorite point A to point B games to date. Its really one of those games you have to play to appreciate.

I find the plot we are given here confusing but that's par for the course with Star Wars. I hope Starkiller aka Samuel Witwer gets more chances to let his acting chops shine through.

Well from what i can gather it is one of the most hated games on Gaf, but who cares.

I totally agree, Sam W. is an awesome actor. I hope in TFU2 they focus more on Starkiller's story, not where he's from(weakling jedi father with delusions of grandeur) or who's he trying help(Kota,Maris,Leia,Bail,ect..), i want to know who Starkiller is.
And if the teaser is anything to go by, they seem to be going in the right direction, his story.

dudeguy24 said:
Why did so many people have problems with this section? I passed this on my first try playing on hard :lol

If I remember correctly following the on screen prompts is why so many had a problem they were flat out incorrect. In a bout of frustration I just did the opposite of what I saw and it worked.

DihcarEM said:
Well from what i can gather it is one of the most hated games on Gaf, but who cares.

I totally agree, Sam W. is an awesome actor. I hope in TFU2 they focus more on Starkiller's story, not where he's from(weakling jedi father with delusions of grandeur) or who's he trying help(Kota,Maris,Leia,Bail,ect..), i want to know who Starkiller is.
And if the teaser is anything to go by, they seem to be going in the right direction, his story.

Indeed good sir, indeed.

dudeguy24 said:
Really? I remember following the directions exactly as it said and not having a single problem...

I don't want to derail the thread from the SWFU2 excitement too much.

This didn't work for me and I had to visit gamefaqs and etc. After I felt too much time was wasted, I did the opposite and success! Not sure why but this point was quite the problem for many as they expressed their disdain for it to me at work.

The fact that nobody made this thread during the VGAs last night is pretty much proof as far as I'm concerned that people really don't care about this.

Of all the things to go and do a sequel to they chose Force Unleashed. I played the PS3/Wii versions, and actually enjoyed the Wii version a little bit more, but I just cannot bring myself to be hyped about this at all.

A new game would have been better. Battlefront III would have been better. A new Jedi Knight. A new KOTOR. A new Galaxies. Hell, even a Rogue Squadron pack would have been better news to me.

It just feels like they're exploiting the game engine one more time because they can, rather than because the game warranted a sequel or that gamers might want it.

DihcarEM

NIGHT- said:
How is the first one? Been thinking about picking up the Sith version

You get a great deal with the Sith version. The main-game + 3 dlc levels + all dlc costumes/skins.
The price is cheaper, so a really good buy if you've never bought the original.
If you have a choice ps3/x360 or even pc. The ps3 has the added advantage of all being on one disc(360 on 2 discs).

radioheadrule83 said:
The fact that nobody made this thread during the VGAs last night is pretty much proof as far as I'm concerned that people really don't care about this.

Of all the things to go and do a sequel to they chose Force Unleashed. I played the PS3/Wii versions, and actually enjoyed the Wii version a little bit more, but I just cannot bring myself to be hyped about this at all.

A new game would have been better. Battlefront III would have been better. A new Jedi Knight. A new KOTOR. A new Galaxies. Hell, even a Rogue Squadron pack would have been better news to me.

It just feels like they're exploiting the game engine one more time because they can, rather than because the game warranted a sequel or that gamers might want it.

Actually no, there are people intrested in this series, me being one of them.
And i also played all versions, Wii and ps2 were the least good ones.
And if i'm not mistaken, Force unleashed has been the most succesful IP this generation for Lucasarts, one of their bestselling games in a very long time. The tech is already there so it makes sense for them to continue building on it.

Something a lot of people don't know is that before TFU1 was released, the creator said in an interview that there were plans for a whole TFU trilogy but first they were going to see how TFU1 did before deciding on the sequels.

Darklord

Banned
Ganondorfo said:
They should have announced star wars knights of the old republic 3 or jedi knight 4.

Kotor 3 is the MMO. You can play it single player if you want and it has the full story.

kinggroin

Banned
I remember thoroughly enjoying the Wii version despite the lackluster visuals. No mention of platforms in the OP or website; does anyone know?

Parts

Loved the first one. Pretty awful game, but still, loved it. On my first playthrough. I couldn't even get past the third level on my second run. I realized that it was solely the story that kept me going the first time, and without the wonder of "what happens next" the awful gameplay couldn't be hidden.

I really, really am hoping this will actually have good gameplay, because the problem is I'm still gonna have to buy it even if it doesn't. :lol

radioheadrule83 said:
Force Unleashed was the best selling Star Wars game ever, I'm pretty sure, or at least up there. For all it's faults there was a lot to like about it on a quick play basis if you were just looking for casual Jedi fun.

DihcarEM

kinggroin said:
No mention of platforms in the OP or website; does anyone know?

No it's not mentioned yet but there's a pretty big chance it's going to be on the same platforms.
TFU1 was developed by Krome on the Wii,ps2 and psp. Lucasarts did the ps3,x360 version.

DihcarEM said:
And if i'm not mistaken, Force unleashed has been the most succesful IP this generation for Lucasarts, one of their bestselling games in a very long time. The tech is already there so it makes sense for them to continue building on it.

Something a lot of people don't know is that before TFU1 was released, the creator said in an interview that there were plans for a whole TFU trilogy but first they were going to see how TFU1 did before deciding on the sequels.

God, two more of them? LucasArts used to be good. :p

In all honesty, I had some fun with the game(s) - I'm just disappointed with LucasArts' handling of Star Wars and their existing back catalogue franchises this generation - its been absolutely woeful..

Regarding the first game - the HD versions obviously had a lot more polygons, sparks, spit and polish than the Wii/PS2 versions, and a lot less aliasing -- but I thought Krome did a bang-up job really. They didn't just try and create the exact same thing as was found on the HD consoles, they made something which worked better for the platform. The 2 player battle mode was a welcome distraction too.

DihcarEM said:
No it's not mentioned yet but there's a pretty big chance it's going to be on the same platforms.
TFU1 was developed by Krome on the Wii,ps2 and psp. Lucasarts did the ps3,x360 version.
Lack of bothering with a Wii/PS2 Sith Edition rerelease makes me at least somewhat doubtful.

Acosta

Good news I enjoyed the fist one and I think their problems could be easily solved, grant there is a chance of it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I think the basic game mechanics in the original were great; it was the closest any Star Wars game has made you feel like a real jedi. Now they just need to work on the level design and AI.

Druz

DihcarEM said:
You get a great deal with the Sith version. The main-game + 3 dlc levels + all dlc costumes/skins.
The price is cheaper, so a really good buy if you've never bought the original.
If you have a choice ps3/x360 or even pc. The ps3 has the added advantage of all being on one disc(360 on 2 discs).

and yet that didn't stop them from firing the dev team before it even released.

So who is making this? Didn't the original team all get let go before TFU1 even released?

Still mad at Lucasarts for playing the "nobodys guessed what the new SW game is yet!!" card, when BF3 and TFU2 were the clear suggestions.

I guess TFU has killed the Jedi Knight series dead :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I didn't much enjoy the first game.

I felt like the controls were exceedingly sloppy; not just with the force powers, but also with the platforming in general. Especially in early stages, I fell into bottomless pits quite a few times because I had jumped, landed on the cusp of some geometry, and slipped (often having glitched the geometry).

The story was very stupid. I think Starkiller is a pretty poorly conceived character and they botched the story as a whole. The end-game ending choice felt like you were being asked to flip a switch.

I didn't like the Holocron collecting. While I did get them all in the end, I didn't feel like most were cleverly hidden. It was more like the dark days of N64 Collectathoning. I didn't particularly click with the level up system.

Obviously the Star Destroyer part was a disaster. Even if you understood the controls immediately (I don't think most people did), the actual process of taking it down was long and boring.

The trailer didn't look terrible or anything, but it'll take a lot of work for them to overcome the inertia I feel about this concept.

DihcarEM

JoshuaJSlone said:
Lack of bothering with a Wii/PS2 Sith Edition rerelease makes me at least somewhat doubtful.

I think it was more for different reasons. Krome's game is vastly different then the next-gen versions. For example, the main Krome game had sections were the apprentice visited the jedi-temple on Corusent. The next-gen versions had the jedi-temple level added as dlc. And also the Krome version already had a lot of extra skins, each platfrom had it's own extra's. Psp had historic missions, Wii had Versus, ps2 had some extra levels.

I wouldn't worry about it, their main-goal is always to make more money, multi-platform will guarentee it.

Druz said:
and yet that didn't stop them from firing the dev team before it even released.

Again that's false, we even had someone from Lucasarts telling us it was false. Some people might have been laid off but 2 dlc levels for TFU1 plus the announcement of TFU2 makes it clear that there is still a team.

Furret

Banned
Regardless of the quality of the original or this sequel that is a terrible trailer.

And publishers had got quite good at them recently as well.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If both the Wii version (with motion plus) and the 360/PS3 version are good I would consider double dipping, which I never do (considered with Reflex).

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
kinggroin said:
I remember thoroughly enjoying the Wii version despite the lackluster visuals.
glad you liked it ^_^

i had to play that game like a billion times back in the day. :D

DieH@rd said:
PSP version of SWFU was best. I had a blast.
*thumbs up*

played that one lots too, early in development.

ah QA... those were the days.

Kabouter

Stumpokapow said:
Obviously the Star Destroyer part was a disaster. Even if you understood the controls immediately (I don't think most people did), the actual process of taking it down was long and boring.
I could forgive most flaws in the game, but this, this was awful. Probably the worst section in any game ever made. It's not exciting and not hard, and it takes forever.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Did they add trophies to the Sith edition on the PS3? I'd assume it'd have to but since it's a 'rerelease'..

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why does this have to be made? The canon ending is perfect.

Oh yeah. It's Star Wars. They can never leave well enough alone.

Zenith

Banned
Darklord said:
Kotor 3 is the MMO. You can play it single player if you want and it has the full story.

really? I won't need a subscription or even have to be connected all the time?

Chris_C

Urban Scholar said:
If I remember correctly following the on screen prompts is why so many had a problem they were flat out incorrect. In a bout of frustration I just did the opposite of what I saw and it worked.

Pretty much this.

Darklord

Banned
Zenith said:
really? I won't need a subscription or even have to be connected all the time?

Well no, it's still an MMO, you still see all the players around you but you can play the game as if it was single player and just do the story with companion NPC characters.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I hope this will be one of those rare occurrences where the sequel ends up being a much better game. The best thing about TFU, in my opinion, was it's use of the Star War's license. I loved that it was set during the original trilogy, none of those clone wars shit based on the lousy movies. I want to play something that reminds me of the movies that I watched a million times as a kid, with Vader, Stormtroopers etc...TFU had all of that. Unfortunately the game was no fun for me, for the most part it was a clusterfuck of bad level design and frustrating controls. It can be fixed, though, hopefully. For what it's worth (not much), though, the trailer was nice.

Prine

Banned
YEs! Are the same writers on board? The story was great. You could watch only the cutscenes and come away impressed.

Hypereides

Gold Member
:lol :lol :lol

Lucasarts about Unleashed and closure of its studio:
"Even if TFU will become succesfull there will be no sequel/followup"

Nice going sticking your words Lucasarts :lol :lol :lol

DCX

DCX
looks amazing!!! I hope you can fight epic boss battles like that, even if it was a quick time nature.

DCX

Concept17

The original has some of the best art direction and character design I've seen this gen. For whatever reason, the actual gameplay fell flat and wasn't as fun as it should have been. Here's to hoping they fix that in the second game.

I really enjoyed the first game, despite all its flaws. It's hard to see how this game will fit into the story though. I had hoped that they would continue storyline from the evil ending, but it looks like they are going with a different approach.

Top Bottom