• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Unleashed 2 announced.

Peff

Zenith said:
really? I won't need a subscription or even have to be connected all the time?

It'll be free to play, yes, I'm not sure if you have to be connected but there are plenty of NPCs which apparently will be enough to finish the game. It will also have a big focus on the story too.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
highluxury said:
:lol :lol :lol

Lucasarts about Unleashed and closure of its studio:
"Even if TFU will become succesfull there will be no sequel/followup"

Nice going sticking your words Lucasarts :lol :lol :lol
I don't ever recall this statement being made, and the studio never closed. Unless I was somehow completely ignorant and didn't notice empty desks around the facility somehow.

JonnyBrad

I thought the whole plot point of
The Empire effectively setting up the rebel alliance
was beyond retarded. Especially when the Emperor is stood around with Vader at the end saying "Oops!" Is that proper Star Wars canon now?

I liked the game overall tho - the controls need tightening up a little but i found the locations cool (esp the death star hanger) and obviously whoever made the Star Destroyer take down level had better have been fired.

Will most likely buy.

They had better not pull BS like the sith edition again tho. It should all have been available as DLC.

ArjanN

radioheadrule83 said:
The fact that nobody made this thread during the VGAs last night is pretty much proof as far as I'm concerned that people really don't care about this.

Of all the things to go and do a sequel to they chose Force Unleashed. I played the PS3/Wii versions, and actually enjoyed the Wii version a little bit more, but I just cannot bring myself to be hyped about this at all.

A new game would have been better. Battlefront III would have been better. A new Jedi Knight. A new KOTOR. A new Galaxies. Hell, even a Rogue Squadron pack would have been better news to me.

It just feels like they're exploiting the game engine one more time because they can, rather than because the game warranted a sequel or that gamers might want it.

IMO if you follow this logic even futher, they should just stop making games based on the Star Wars license period.

gogojira

Hooray for another all CG trailer. That seemed like just about all developers were interested in showing at the VGAs last night.

Ah the first one

...You had great art direction, good cinematic chops, and a great story. Hoping they can fix all the other bits with the sequel, as even though I pooed it up in the official thread about my distaste in the end, I still liked alot of things about it.

Hypereides

Gold Member
XiaNaphryz said:
I don't ever recall this statement being made, and the studio never closed. Unless I was somehow completely ignorant and didn't notice empty desks around the facility somehow.

Im fairly certain something like that was said some time before the release of TFU. It was a pretty highlit headline a few years back. What sucks is I cant find the source :/ since its apparently around 2 years old. Im pretty sure where was something like that.

DieH@rd

Banned
JonnyBrad said:
I thought the whole plot point of
The Empire effectively setting up the rebel alliance
was beyond retarded.

For those who dont know, Palpatine killed his master when he found out that
alien armada of imense power from another galaxy is nearing his galaxy, and only combined military resources of Republic can stop them. That is why he infiltrated senate and gained so much political pow'a. When he died remnants of Empire, New Republic and remainder of Jedis combined their forces and somehow managed to defeat them [with heeeeeeeeeavy casualties, acording to starwars.wikia over 360trilion sentient life forms died.]

XiaNaphryz

highluxury said:
Im fairly certain something like that was said some time before the release of TFU. It was a pretty highlit headline a few years back. What sucks is I cant find the source :/ since its apparently around 2 years old. Im pretty sure where was something like that.
Considering the studio never closed, I highly doubt the validity of the supposed statement regardless.

Minamu

DieH@rd said:
alien armada of imense power from another galaxy is nearing his galaxy, and only combined military resources of Republic can stop them. That is why he infiltrated senate and gained so much political pow'a. When he died remnants of Empire, New Republic and remainder of Jedis combined their forces and somehow managed to defeat them [with heeeeeeeeeavy casualties, acording to starwars.wikia over 360trilion sentient life forms died.]
That's kinda cool I guess :D Hmm, is that somehow connected to that little story in Kotor about some small ship/probe that got discovered by Mandalore but then vanished faster than a UFO into the endless void between the galaxies? To the best of my knowledge, ships in the Republic galaxy can't navigate the huge voids between galaxies, which made that alien ship seem so strange IIRC. I don't think the game ever explained what that ship was.

This is awesome news tbh. TFU2 & AA2 on the same day :O I just hope they fix the issues the first game had & go absolutely bat shit crazy with his powers this time. Despite the name, it felt kinda tame to me. Held back even.

Anyone else get the feeling that this is the new Assassin's Creed 2, when it comes to fixing a tech demo that somehow turned into a game along the way? :)

DieH@rd said:

are you sure about that? what book/source is it from? im not saying your wrong but i was just under the impression that
he simply found out about them at some point and altered his plans accordingly, they werent the whole reason for his take over of the republic, which would seem a slight rip off of the revan story arc

DihcarEM

DieH@rd said:

Sorry but i think that's totally wrong. If you want to use an accurate wikipedia concerning Star Wars i suggest using http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Fair warning, it does include all info, canon or non-canon.

Tobor said:
More canon destroying drivel. Yay.

I actually hope they focus less on "canon" and tell more of an original story. I mean it's a pretty damm big universe, there is absolutely no need for Starkiller to keep on crossing paths with characters from the movies.

Tobor

DihcarEM said:
Sorry but i think that's totally wrong. If you want to use an accurate wikipedia concerning Star Wars i suggest using http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Fair warning, it does include all info, canon or non-canon.

I actually hope they focus less on "canon" and tell more of an original story. I mean it's a pretty damm big universe, there is absolutely no need for Starkiller to keep on crossing paths with characters from the movies.
The story isn't even the half of it. They made a nobody character more powerful than Yoda and Vader combined.

Tobor said:
The story isn't even the half of it. They made a nobody character more powerful than Yoda and Vader combined.

For myself on the matter, I don't consider any of it canon and take as the big what if that it is.

XiaNaphryz

Druz said:
and yet that didn't stop them from firing the dev team before it even released.
Except they didn't. Those layoffs for the most part didn't really touch the main dev teams.

DihcarEM

Tobor said:

I agree, i also had issues with that.
Now i'm ok with it because he wasn't the only character that was shown overpowered. And he wasn't stronger then Sidious in part 1, i don't how strong he is in part 2.
We don't know if he's stronger then Yoda, they never fought.

But i think most importanly how Starkiller was trained is the number 1 reason why he's so strong.
He was trained purely in the physical aspect by Vader and often close to death. Vader was a brutal unforgiving master. He wasn't trained in the mythology,dark arts,manipulantion techniques. Just pure physical force for survival.
I don't have a problem with him
beating Vader in TFU
(who was only half his potential since Mustafar and didn't seem to care about anything until his son appears in A new Hope.), it definitely was not an easy fight for Starkiller.

That's why i would like them to stay away from the original trilogy now, the empire will fall, Luke,Leia and Han will take care of that. So just place Starkiller on the other side of the universe and have him do his own thing,story.

Darklord said:
Kotor 3 is the MMO. You can play it single player if you want and it has the full story.

KOTOR MMO != KOTOR 3.

KOTOR MMO takes place 400 years after KOTOR 2 or something like that. I want my story finished from KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 dammit.

Deadly

demosthenes said:
KOTOR MMO != KOTOR 3.

KOTOR MMO takes place 400 years after KOTOR 2 or something like that. I want my story finished from KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 dammit.

This. I wish Obsidian could work on KOTOR3 at the same time that BioWare is working on TOR and they'd work things out somehow but that's never going to happen...

Darklord

Banned
demosthenes said:
KOTOR MMO != KOTOR 3.

There wasn't even a story following 1 and 2 apart from little bits of Revan and you'll probably find out what he was up to in the MMO anyway. 2 was pretty shit anyway.

People always think "ZOMG MMO WTF" but it's Bioware, there making it as close to the others as possible except instead of 50 clone NPC's around you it'll be 50 clones NPC's with 50 real players too. Each race has a full story line, you can have companions, you get to explore the galaxy. What does this lack that 3 would have?

If this was just Kotor 3 and had the exact same style except it was single player most complainers would be loving it.

Darklord said:
There wasn't even a story following 1 and 2 apart from little bits of Revan and you'll probably find out what he was up to in the MMO anyway.

Besides all the unanswered questions from the cut content, I still think they had a game lined up with Revan going out to fight the 'true' sith.

Darklord

Banned
demosthenes said:
Besides all the unanswered questions from the cut content, I still think they had a game lined up with Revan going out to fight the 'true' sith.

They can still do that. What's stopping them? The player might go out and find where Revan went, find what he found out and follow it on. It's 300 years in the future but whatever he discovered could still be there.

Septimus

How awesome would this be if they added Wand (?) controls as an option? That would push me over the fence to a day one purchase.

Old Republic MMO is supposed to cover lot of story elements from the KOTOR games and apparently answer lot of questions that were left from those games.

radioheadrule83 said:
The fact that nobody made this thread during the VGAs last night is pretty much proof as far as I'm concerned that people really don't care about this.

Of all the things to go and do a sequel to they chose Force Unleashed. I played the PS3/Wii versions, and actually enjoyed the Wii version a little bit more, but I just cannot bring myself to be hyped about this at all.

A new game would have been better. Battlefront III would have been better. A new Jedi Knight. A new KOTOR. A new Galaxies. Hell, even a Rogue Squadron pack would have been better news to me.

It just feels like they're exploiting the game engine one more time because they can, rather than because the game warranted a sequel or that gamers might want it.

Game sold very well and had lot of merchandising ties as well, but gaf overall was pretty negative on the game as a whole so your likely not to see much hype for it.

I enjoyed it, thought it was one of the better SW games to come out in recent years though obviously it was basically a Star Wars version of God of War with far less polish.

I'm kinda hyped.

DihcarEM

Some few observations from teaser.
Starkiller first seems like a sith with his black robe, then when he casts that off we see his clothes are normal,neutral.
A much greater resemblance to the actor playing Starkiller. Might be because the character also seems to have aged and is closer to the actor's real age now which is awesome.
Duel blue lightsabers, from the handles they seem handmade by Starkiller, again the color blue to show that he's not evil. Although he looks really pissed when the camera zooms in on his face.:D

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I vaguely remember having fun with most of the game, but only after activating cheats. I hate games based around powers and abilities that don't let you actually play with them. Hopefully, the second one does a better job of making you feel like a superhero in a world full of piss-poor shots...

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It was a good game, it just fell into the same problems that a lot of actions games get in which you have a big variety of moves and abilities, but you end up only doing the same one over and over again because it's the best and quickest.

AshMcCool

Darklord said:
There wasn't even a story following 1 and 2 apart from little bits of Revan and you'll probably find out what he was up to in the MMO anyway. 2 was pretty shit anyway.

People always think "ZOMG MMO WTF" but it's Bioware, there making it as close to the others as possible except instead of 50 clone NPC's around you it'll be 50 clones NPC's with 50 real players too. Each race has a full story line, you can have companions, you get to explore the galaxy. What does this lack that 3 would have?

If this was just Kotor 3 and had the exact same style except it was single player most complainers would be loving it.

"OMFG I just FRAGGED a Ranc0r!" "That R0XX!!111"

No thanks, I'm gonna go with the NPCs.

Rikyfree

I hope they add more weapons in this than just the standard saber. The trailer showed that the guy should at least be able to dual wield sabers, but I'm hoping for things like the light saber tonfas that Maris used, the dual-sided light saber that Darth Maul used, maybe used like lightsaber nunchaku. Basically I hope they look to Ninja Gaiden in terms of weaponry, would be totally awesome.

Blackface

Banned
AshMcCool said:

Nobody talks like that in mmos, you can turn the chat off if you want, and most of the set piece missions will be instanced.

QQ somewhere else.

L-A-I-N

Neo Member
I liked the first one it did have some flaws, but I enjoyed the overall experience. I hope they do fix some of the issues that were wrong with the first.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The first game was enjoyable, but was too short and too unpolished. Hopefully they fix these issues in the sequel.

Darklord

Banned
AshMcCool said:

So like I said, play it by yourself and some companion NPC's. They said several times you can just go off by yourself and do the story like the old games.

manofmandango said:
Never played the first. I might have a reason to go pickup the Ultimate Sith Edition now..
Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. Love myself some star wars even if it is killing the canon, using force powers and lightsabers to kill shit is a pretty wonderful gaming experience.

DihcarEM said:
Some few observations from teaser.
Starkiller first seems like a sith with his black robe, then when he casts that off we see his clothes are normal,neutral.
A much greater resemblance to the actor playing Starkiller. Might be because the character also seems to have aged and is closer to the actor's real age now which is awesome.
Duel blue lightsabers, from the handles they seem handmade by Starkiller, again the color blue to show that he's not evil. Although he looks really pissed when the camera zooms in on his face.:D

This is one thing that I don't think is fleshed out enough. It doesn't have to be just light vs dark.

Huh. I'm replaying TFU for trophies so this is great news for me. Can't wait.

Though playing this again after playing Wolverine, they could stand to make the combat a little faster paced. Though maybe that's more Wolverine's fault than Star Wars.

gillty

Banned
Zenith said:
bad port I hear.

I'm getting it for Christmas.
LOL have fun, WORST PORT OF 2009.

zero settings besides resolution, contrast was so bad that black was actually white, crashed if you saved, uninstalled in 10 minutes.

strideramc

I liked the first one. But I pray they don't have another "pull the Star Destroyer" out of the sky section. Easily my most hated part in the game.

AshMcCool

Blackface said:
Nobody talks like that in mmos, you can turn the chat off if you want, and most of the set piece missions will be instanced.

QQ somewhere else.

Since when? When I played Lord of the Rings Online I got this kind of "l337" talk all the time. That(and a few other things) turned me off of the game. Granted, that was a few years ago. If you can go out on your own, great. I'm just saying that I prefer well scripted dialouge that matches the atmosphere. There is nothing wrong with that, is it?

Top Bottom