• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

operon

So Lauda says Mereceds contacted their lawyers prior to the test and didn't know they were testing the improved 2013 tyres? lol. Rosberg and Hamilton were testing.

This shit stinks.
smells real bad if Ferrari used a 2010 car for the tyres shows not even they would stoop so low

DrM

Redmond's Baby
We need back either Michelin or Bridgestone, Pirelli is laughable. I think this 'stunt' could be the end for them in F1

dalin80

Banned
Well the good point about this is that for the first time in 4 years horner has had to have a read of the rule book to see what it actually says inside.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I can't see why Mercedes decided to use their current car for the tyre testing. As it has turned out, Ferrari done some tyre testing too for Pirelli but used a 2010 car.

Arguments aside about how Pirelli needing a current car to test with, this isn't fair to the other teams unless if all teams are allowed the same test. A 3 day test is a 3 day test, regardless of what reason is given. Mercedes will have gained an advantage and that isn't right. This would stand if it was anyone from Marussia to Red Bull.

I don't blame Mercedes for doing what they did but I would question why Pirelli decided to conduct a test in secret with just one team and allow them to use the 2013 cars, that's silly really. It's clear they are in dispute with the FIA etc over the current tyres and their contract post 2013, but this smacks of them trying to stir the nest.

Sad really, as it takes away from this weekend, which promises to be a very good race for the Mercedes team.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
oh dear

Andrew Benson @andrewbensonf12m
Red Bull have now launched an official protest against Mercedes in the testing row. More soon

Nicktendo86

Well the good point about this is that for the first time in 4 years horner has had to have a read of the rule book to see what it actually says inside.
Ice cold.

Surely Merc checked if they could use their 2013 car, if not this is a McLaren sized fuckup

I have a feeling we'll see another tyre supplier in F1 next year

It's funny you say that.

Pirelli has threatened to quit as Formula 1's tyre supplier if a new contract for the 2014 season is not promptly agreed, with teams yet to unanimously agree on full details as the sport prepares to enter its new turbocharged V6 engine era.

Oh fuck off Horner.

Why? He's absolutely right..

What a fucked up amateurish loop-hole in the rules that is, if it was true! I believe teams should've known about it and there should be some sort of a selection process governed byt the FiA in the open.

What stops Pirelli from choosing the team with the "highest bid" .. this is so fucked up

Juicy Bob

I think Pirelli have done a great job up til now. It's not that they are shit at making tyres, they have done exactly what the teams have asked them to do. Why people who don't like the tyres have been angry at them and not the teams, I have no idea.

However, this test does sound pretty dodgy to me. This is the first time I feel they may have some accountability to answer for.

Dead Man

Why? He's absolutely right..

What a fucked up amateurish loop-hole in the rules that is, if it was true! I believe teams should've known about it and there should be some sort of a selection process governed byt the FiA in the open.

What stops Pirelli from choosing the team with the "highest bid" .. this is so fucked up

Not if the rules don't back him he isn't. From what we have seen so far, it looks like it is in the rules to do what was done. A silly as the rules may be, he is just chucking his toys out of the pram unless there was a rule breach.

cmr-94

I think Pirelli have done a great job up til now. It's not that they are shit at making tyres, they have done exactly what the teams have asked them to do. Why people who don't like the tyres have been angry at them and not the teams, I have no idea.

However, this test does sound pretty dodgy to me. This is the first time I feel they may have some accountability to answer for.

This is what really pisses me off when people say bring Bridgestone or Michelin back. They would be asked to produce degrading tyres aswell.

Horner says "Pirelli are not to blame"

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, after getting an extra three days testing, of course it does.
Seriously? Monaco is the only GP where tyres aren't really a factor. The problem is that criticism will actually be valid in Canada, where the new tyres are set to be used. There Mercedes WILL have an unfair advantage due to this tyre test.

All teams need to be given the same treatment so they can have the same test time as Mercedes on the new tyres, simple as that. The RBR protest leaves a sour taste really, there's more than one way to skin this cat.
Horner says "Pirelli are not to blame"
Weird, I think they're fully at fault. They asked for the test to be conducted, they got Mercedes to do it, they allowed them to use a 2013 car. If Pirelli wanted to do this properly, they would've done it in the open, and not allowed a currently competing car. They clearly held the levers here. Mercedes exploited an opportunity, Pirelli created it.

dalin80

Banned
I think Pirelli have done a great job up til now. It's not that they are shit at making tyres, they have done exactly what the teams have asked them to do.

They were asked to me racing competitive with the valid option of two or three stop strategies, the criticism is in two parts, 1, the strategies are now 3/4 stop and 2, the tyres are suffering complete failures.

Sloane

Banned
What exactly is this protest supposed to achieve though? Might cause a change for the future but it sounds like they did nothing wrong.

Shaneus

Seriously? Monaco is the only GP where tyres aren't really a factor. The problem is that criticism will actually be valid in Canada, where the new tyres are set to be used. There Mercedes WILL have an unfair advantage due to this tyre test.

All teams need to be given the same treatment so they can have the same test time as Mercedes on the new tyres, simple as that. The RBR protest leaves a sour taste really, there's more than one way to skin this cat.
No, not seriously :p

dalin80

Banned
What exactly is this protest supposed to achieve though? Might cause a change for the future but it sounds like they did nothing wrong.

Red Bull have been taken by surprise that they were not the ones breaking the 'spirit of the rules' this time.

Nicktendo86

They were asked to me racing competitive with the valid option of two or three stop strategies, the criticism is in two parts, 1, the strategies are now 3/4 stop and 2, the tyres are suffering complete failures.
This. They have not done the job they have been asked to do and it doesn't look like they are good enough to either.

jey_16

Banned
Yeah, I despise Red Bull but I can't blame them, it stinks. Not that anything will happen, it was a FIA sanctioned test apparently so I don't think it actually breaks any rules

Addnan

Teams have a rules outlawing all testing, apart from the official tests. Teams are arguing Pirelli's contract does not go above their rules.

Addnan

Sure but protesting during the race weekend makes it sound like they hope it would change anything about this GP.
It's going to be investigated after the race. If they protest after the race the same would be said, Mercedes won so RBR are protesting.

dalin80

Banned
Well Lauda just said, that they asked the FIA about this before the tire testing and they got a OK from Whiting.

Unfortunately Whiting has no actual power in that regard other to provide his opinion on the interpretation. Lauda could have asked his cat's opinion on the situation and it's opinion would be just as legally binding.

Dead Man

Unfortunately Whiting has no actual power in that regard other to provide his opinion on the interpretation. Lauda could have asked his cat's opinion on the situation and it's opinion would be just as legally binding.

It does suggest they were being open about it though,

Jibbed

BLMCX3FCUAQ8vmS.jpg:large

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Brawn said that they tested Pirelli rubber with 2014 components

All tires were equipped with codes, so they had no idea, which one were they running

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What? if that was true!!! LOL!!

But imagine our reaction if RBR was the ones who did it? not a shit team like Mercedes.
Ross also said that other teams knew about this test, because Mercedes stayed on the racetrack. Also Pirelli asked other teams but all declined.

DBT85

Lol I like Horners comment about Merc getting an advantage from the test

"Well, they got both cars on the front of the grid [in Monaco]," he said. "It has not hurt them."

Because they were slow at all the other qualifying sessions.

Dead Man

Lol I like Horners comment about Merc getting an advantage from the test

Because they were slow at all the other qualifying sessions.

He is an utter clown. The rules may be stupid, but Horner is still a clown.

Monaco coverage is live for the first time on major network TV in the US (NBC).

Nice. Hopefully this upswing in coverage and some decent home races will create some more interest over there.

Top Bottom