• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Dead Man

This is bullshit, why didn't they use the Pirelli test car? The FIA need to ban Mercedes and throw them out of the championship.

Unless they broke a rule nothing should happen. I think if testing is banned, it should be banned properly, but if there was no rule broken, it's just another fuck up by the FIA as far as I'm concerned.

Pirelli don't have a car.

Of course they do. At first they had a 2009 Toyota, now they're using a 2010 Renault R30 and this year they bought a 2011 HRT.

K09lotZ.jpg

DBT85

Of course they do. At first they had a 2009 Toyota, now they're using a 2010 Renault R30 and this year they bought a 2011 HRT.

Could have sworn I saw a comment from Hembery saying they didn't have one. Maybe it was just about not being able to test during the season, which they have now just done lol.

However, that HRT won't be stressing the tyres anywhere like the cars are today. It was low of DF for last season let alone this season.

That doesn't justify testing tyres on one of the lead cars.

The problem I suppose is who to do the test with. Whomever you do it with is going to benefit. If they do it with Caterham then Marussia lose out, if they do it was Sauber then Force India lose out, if they do it with Ferrari or Red Bull they would be accused of favouritism AND Lotus and Merc would lose out.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Which obviously isn't helping with the 2013 spec cars. They do need a current spec car to be able to test with.
They know that, but they can't do anything about it. I was just disputing the claim that they don't have a car.

This is what they said last year.

Pirelli Motorsport director Paul Hembery says the F1 tyre supplier would prefer to use a more modern car for its testing programme.

“The same tyres behave very different when using a car from 2010,” he was quoted as telling Total Race. “The aerodynamic balance of the car is very different and that acts on the tyres. This year the teams have suffered problems, especially with the front tyres, but there has also been overheating with the rears.

“We did not encounter these problems when testing because the car is two years old - but that is the only car we can use. It was a huge challenge to get hold of that car. I would obviously prefer one of the current test cars, but that is not going to happen.

“Teams need about 18 months to fully develop a car, so even using one from last year is not possible. Developing the different compounds needs to be very precise and it is very difficult to get everything right when we are not testing with a suitable car.”

E: it looks like they already sold the HRT on eBay (as a charity auction). It's kinda telling. :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Pirelli should choose RBR for this tyre test. Imagine that shitstorm lol . Luca would probably throw himself out of his Maranello mansion instead of TV

TylerD

I'm going in to this Monaco GP blind. Don't know any qualifying information at all. Hope to see Merc up there because it might be interesting if they qualified on pole and seeing if they can keep the tyres in good enough shape to complete the GP without getting sucked up.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
J. Saward
It is believed that there was a similar test with Ferrari after Bahrain. There will be other tests as well with other teams as the season progresses but it seems that Red Bull is making a fuss because it was not doing the testing…

Thus it seems there is less of a story than the gabbling in the paddock suggests.

Lotus and RBR are furious

DrM

Redmond's Baby
AMuS reporting that other teams were testing with older cars (Ferrari used 2010 car in Bahrain) and Mercedes used this season's car. This is why Ferrari is also protesting.

DBT85

Horner on the issue

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107673

"We found out second-hand last night," said Horner, when asked by AUTOSPORT about the situation. "We now need to deal with it through the proper channels, so that is what we will be doing.

"I can understand Pirelli wanting to test the tyres, as they have obviously got issues with the tyres. What is disappointing is that it has been done in a not transparent manner.

"A three-day test has taken place with a current car on tyres that are going to be used in the next grand prix. Irrelevant of what you call it, that is testing."

Horner suggests that although an agreement may exist in Pirelli's contract with the teams to allow individual tests, that is not enough grounds for it to believe Mercedes was allowed to test.

"I think there is confusion between what is contractually permissible and what a team when it enters a world championship is allowed to do within the sporting regulations," he said.

"It is a situation that we need clarification on, so our position is we are going to request that clarification."

DBT85

Looks like Mercedes didn;t know what tyre they were running on and they were development tyres, not current ones. Still a kick in the nuts to Horner.

Mercedes have discovered a spider infestation in Hamiltons car this morning.

BLLWCLNCIAA6dTn.jpg

Bottas showing off

PXkizZH.jpg

I have a great idea for this GIF!

I really don't know what the solution to this tyre testing problem could be, unless they all agree to lift the testing ban again. The FIA can't give Pirelli a spec car and Pirelli can't build one either, because it wouldn't make much sense.

I am getting Content Encoding Error when accessing threads. Anyone with same problem?

We had lots of these during the One reveal.

duckroll

Lol. More tire drama. <3

Looks like I'm going to miss the race live today. Gonna set it to record on the DVR and hopefully I can catch it when I'm back from dinner... right after the race ends.

jey_16

Banned
What the hell....private test for Mercedes with this years car, how can that be fair. Either ask all the team's or ask none.

I can't believe how poorly run this sport is sometimes

operon

Got a free now tv pass so watching live, but the app sucks, had to remove the hdmi cable to get the sound working, had to use component instead

TylerD

It is so fucking stupid that someone could come to the conclusion that only having his sport available in the UK through a pay service for primary access would be a good idea.

Surely that is good for the sport right?!?! Derp.

Dead Man

It is so fucking stupid that someone could come to the conclusion that only having his sport available in the UK through a pay service for primary access would be a good idea.

Surely that is good for the sport right?!?! Derp.

Seems to be a popular option with British sports coverage.

McNum

FOM considers online streaming after 2015, when most of current TV contracts expire:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130525/f1/130529825
Nice! If the price isn't insane, I'd happily buy access to that directly from the website. And if that story is accurate, you'd be able to pick your own viewpoint, too. Want onboard from a particular driver? Pick it! That'd be neat.

That and I've lost access to the races here due to a shakeup in the TV channel packages. It's sad. Well, I could try RTL, maybe, but my German is really, really rusty.

I don't know why they don't do what Motogp does. A few times a year, when there is a 2+ week break, they stay at the circuit Monday and sometimes Tuesday. Testing on mass would have to be cheaper, shared marshaling and medical costs, maybe bernie could open his wallet and help! :)

TylerD

I don't know why they don't do what Motogp does. A few times a year, when there is a 2+ week break, they stay at the circuit Monday and sometimes Tuesday. Testing on mass would have to be cheaper, shared marshaling and medical costs, maybe bernie could open his wallet and help! :)

Bernie only opens his wallet for money to flow into it. :D

So Lauda says Mereceds contacted their lawyers prior to the test and didn't know they were testing the improved 2013 tyres? lol. Rosberg and Hamilton were testing.

This shit stinks.

Top Bottom