• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Deadman

itF3mW5.png

The first race where the safety car gets fastest time in practice, pole and wins the race.

Shaneus

BTW webber should just quit. No way rbr are winning the constructors this year with him as their number two driver. Hope di resta or maybe some other guy gets a drive at RBR next year.
Troll post? Or did you not know he had an electronics failure that caused him to lose all telemetry data and KERS, resulting in his poor start and no KERS for half the race?

“We lost all telemetry on the formation lap,” he said. “And then you can't do the preparation that you need to for the start, so then he's in the blind for the start, and that ECU issue shut the KERS down as well, so by the time we'd reset the whole system obviously he'd lost the start and lost early ground. It's something that they need to get on top of, because there's been a lot of issues during testing.”

AcridMeat

Banned
It's crazy seeing a sunny track with blackness lurking everywhere.

edit: Also what happened to Caterham? I thought they were making progress and it seems they're the same if not worse. Or did they lose money in the off season? Maybe that was it.

jambo

Must be bizarre racing on a track where only 2 corners are seeing rain.

Rain in the pit lane as well. And Hulkenburg off.

Hammer24

Banned
That's if he starts :/

They had non matching parts on their fueling station, creating a vacuum in his tank when gassing up, thus destroying it. I´d say the same wont happen again.

Two very impressive practises by RAI. Radio Pitlane says its due to Pirelli using a 2010 Lotus E30 as their test car for tyre development - so the current Lotus simply works best with them.
... so much for me predicting Sauber beating them this weekend! ;)

Hackbert

FP2 shows definitely that the teams to beat this year will be RBR/Ferrari and mostly Lotus too.( i know.. kinda obvious)
4th place with the optional push up the ladder Mercedes. After that a battle of Force India and Mclaren (lol).

Bianchi seems to drive circles around Chilton. Does Chilton have famous brothers also in the motorsport? On a Top Gear Family Van Challenge was a driver named Chilton.

Dead Man

FP2 shows definitely that the teams to beat this year will be RBR/Ferrari and mostly Lotus too.( i know.. kinda obvious)
4th place with the optional push up the ladder Mercedes. After that a battle of Force India and Mclaren (lol).

Bianchi seems to drive circles around Chilton. Does Chilton have famous brothers also in the motorsport? On a Top Gear Family Van Challenge was a driver named Chilton.

Tom Chilton is Max's brother and was on a few TG episodes.

Edit: Too slow :(

Shaneus

It's crazy seeing a sunny track with blackness lurking everywhere.

edit: Also what happened to Caterham? I thought they were making progress and it seems they're the same if not worse. Or did they lose money in the off season? Maybe that was it.
They got rid of two experienced drivers. STR were lucky to get away with it when they ditched Buemi and Aguersuari, but they pretty much had to, they have to get experience into potential RBR drivers. With no reference point with last year's car and more importantly, other teams (as obsolete as that experience may be) they're running blind.

And it's probably also due to the fact that they didn't seem to improve their car at all last year. I have a feeling that Heikki and Vitaly were pushing that car beyond it's means most of the time, and this year we'll see how it performs with (below) average drivers.

Must be bizarre racing on a track where only 2 corners are seeing rain.

Rain in the pit lane as well. And Hulkenburg off.
Where are you watching it? PM?!?

Oh wait... this is a BBC weekend, isn't it?

Understatement of the young season.
Sorry, Shan :(
I'm hoping he can pull off something special this season, but I honestly just can't see it. Too many teams/drivers are stepping up to the plate from last year, with really only one team falling back (McL). It's gonna be a tussle for podium spots b/w Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonen and possibly Hamilton (with the occasional challenge from Hulk and Sutil). Realistically, can't see Mark finishing ahead any of those first three drivers in any race :/

If Webber doesn't win the championship this year it's safe to assume this is going to be his last year? I'd be depressed if he doesn't win it this year.

I am already depressed

If Webber doesn't win the championship this year it's safe to assume this is going to be his last year? I'd be depressed if he doesn't win it this year.

I am already depressed

I've long suspected it to be, I just can't see him being arsed with the 2014 switch unless he has another real near-miss this year.

That's if RBR still want him.

Shaneus

I am already depressed
I don't think it is. I mean, as long as he still keeps the other teams from winning (which he kinda showed with qualifying in Melbourne) I think RBR would want to keep him on. And as long as RBR still give him the impression that they're giving him an equal chance to win races as Vettel, he'll stick with them.

He's proved he can still drive and whilst he may not be at the level of Alonso, Raikkonen etc., as long as he has a car that's head and shoulders above theirs (enough to put him at better than equal footing with them) then I think the dotted line will always be there for him to sign. And to be honest, with RBR the way they are, that's probably at least until 2015 (unless something drastically wrong happens with them once the new engines come in).

i would imagine so, whoever does best at STR this year will likely replace him.
Taking into account what I said above, do you really think either Riccardo or Vergne would be good enough in an RBR to keep the main WDC rivals at bay? I don't think for one second either of them could.

Will be interesting to see how F1GAF reacts to a Massa-like turn for Webber. If I recall a lot of folks were calling for Massa to be sacked mid-season. Can the jawline save him from our ire?

kharma45

Taking into account what I said above, do you really think either Riccardo or Vergne would be good enough in an RBR to keep the main WDC rivals at bay? I don't think for one second either of them could.

Riccardo is supposed to be very highly rated by RBR i thought. Its hard to gauge how good they are when theyve probably the third worst car on the grid, JEV i thought did pretty well in Australia in quali for the most part.

unless Webber plays a blinder this year i see him being cut loose unless he really is happy always being a #2 driver and just doing what he is told.

Shaneus

Will be interesting to see how F1GAF reacts to a Massa-like turn for Webber. If I recall a lot of folks were calling for Massa to be sacked mid-season. Can the jawline save him from our ire?
I'm not sure if that's the tone in this thread, though. Are there that many people really thinking that poorly of him considering he managed to bring his car home in 6th last week after losing 5 spots on the grid at the start *and* 2s in his first stop?

Dead Man

I'm not sure if that's the tone in this thread, though. Are there that many people really thinking that poorly of him considering he managed to bring his car home in 6th last week after losing 5 spots on the grid at the start *and* 2s in his first stop?

Yes. I'm not one of them, but there really are.

Top Bottom