• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

If by personality you mean an inability to keep still for 5 minutes then yes he does.

No, personality as in charisma.

Lewis doesn't really have any charisma IMO.
Not sure he deserves SPOTY over McIlroy, but F1 is on the BBC while golf really isn't. Not to mention the overall superiority of the Mercedes car.

Hasney

I'm more shocked that people actually bother with the SPOTY than who won it. Always thought it was just filler TV while the BBC took a holiday break.

Aiii

So not worth it
Fundamental lack of understanding that laptop/phone = TV for most people now.

Doubt that, I've been watching F1 on my computer, legally, for a while now. They know and they were one of the first to offer internet streaming and multi-channel options of any major sports organisation that I know off.

Hasney

Whether they really think that or not, they can't go putting races on youtube due to their existing contracts with broadcasters.

Yup. TV can also afford to pay more for the rights between subscriptions and higher ad rates. Until that changes, Bernie is unfortunately in the right here.

I still say a website or service with older seasons would be fantastic and one that I would pay for.

Zeppu

Do broadcasters even air anything after the race? I'm sure some, such as Sky who have dedicated F1 channels air them more times after the initial broadcast, but that's to their own paying subscribers anyway. It seems to me that if you miss a live race it'll be near impossible to watch it anywhere after a couple of weeks or so.

Wouldn't it make sense to have past races available online for people to watch and therefore attract more customers for the live race?

Isn't someone like Ayrton01CZ just using clips of the broadcast and increasing the hype for people and getting them interested in the sport? Why are they taking his videos offline?

Broadcasting the race live online for free would obviously cannibalize from broadcaster's subscriptions but his refusal to accept that the internet exists helps no one.

Zeppu

I don't have access to that link. I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing there. I'm sure that your response to my first sentence brings down my whole argument though.

itsgreen

I don't have access to that link. I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing there. I'm sure that your response to my first sentence brings down my whole argument though.

Pre and post race interviews from Dutch subscription tv channel Sport 1, they also stream live through internet if you have a subscription with them :)

Zeppu

Okay I phrased my sentence wrong. I meant to say do broadcasters re-air races on television after, say a few weeks.
i.e. If you wanted to watch, say, Spa 2014 on your paid service on TV, would you be able to?

Zeppu

Do they do so for any other sport?

Other sports don't have 20 events a year though. You might not be able to watch whatever game you want but if you love football, for example, you'll be able to watch multiple games every week.

A sport where you only have a total of about 160 hours a year of live events isn't going to have as much exposure as other sports which are constantly airing on one channel or the other, hence why presence on the internet is more important.

Filben

I think many online services are pretty low standard. Do we live in 2000? I've recently asked Sky (Germany) if there's something like a trial subscription or channel-only online subscription. Nope. You have to subscribe for a whole year, minimum. And the price they're demanding is pretty steep for the content provided (very short after race analysis, pre race broadcasting most of time from the studio here in Germany, not on track, etc.) And SkySports F1 (which one is great with a whole channel broadcasting classic races, lots of interviews, and pretty long pre- and after race broadcasting) aren't allow to broadcast outside UK/Ireland. So I can't watch it either. And even if I could I had to subscribe for shit I'm not interested in. There's simply no option for "only Formula 1", "only Motorsport" or even "only sports".

Juicy Bob

Gutierrez becomes Ferrari driver...

Ferrari announces that, as from next season, Esteban Gutierrez will become part of the Scuderia workforce. After two years competing in Formula 1 at the wheel of Ferrari-powered cars, the young Mexican has now been chosen for the job of test and reserve driver, a role in which his experience will be put to good use in the area of car development. “While confirming our full confidence in a formidable race driver pairing, made up of four times World Champion Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen, a past champion with Ferrari, I am pleased to welcome Esteban Gutierrez,” commented the Scuderia’s Director General and Team Principal, Maurizio Arrivabene. “We are pleased to be able to offer this opportunity to Esteban who, although young, has plenty of experience relating to the new generation of Formula 1 cars. I am sure that, with his experience, he will make an important contribution to the development work of the team in the simulator. Welcoming Esteban also means opening the gates of Ferrari to a driver from Mexico, a country where the Scuderia still has a lot of fans, just as was the case fifty years ago in the days of the Rodriguez brothers.” “It is an honour to become part of the Scuderia Ferrari family, a Team with such an exceptional history,” commented Esteban Gutierrez. “It is for me the beginning of a new path for my future and I’m going to do my utmost to contribute to the achievement of the targets set by the Scuderia. I want to thank everybody for their belief in my potential; this will bring a great opportunity for me to develop further and get to the top in the near future. With all my passion and dedication, I’m now looking forward to the start of this new venture

Jibbed

I literally laughed the hardest I have in a while when I found out the news of Esteban.

Beautiful. You couldn't make this up. GG Ferrari, keep up the good work.

Shaneus

I bet Bernie still uses a rotary phone.
5rTJAt8.jpg

Ark

this fucking team is beyond saving

why would they hire the worst driver on the grid

He has very lucrative sponsorship and it means he gets to test for Ferrari. More importantly, it gives him a very solid avenue into racing in other series. Just like how Kobayashi was doing well for Ferrari in the GT categories.

Foshy

He has very lucrative sponsorship and it means he gets to test for Ferrari. More importantly, it gives him a very solid avenue into racing in other series. Just like how Kobayashi was doing well for Ferrari in the GT categories.

Of course it's good for his career, but I don't see what Ferrari has to gain from this. Even though it's just for testing.

Sure, it's all about the money, but even then there are better pay drivers than this guy

Hasney

Of course it's good for his career, but I don't see what Ferrari has to gain from this. Even though it's just for testing.

Sure, it's all about the money, but even then there are better pay drivers than this guy

Well we don't know the specifics. Hey may have taken a pay cut just to be the test driver for Ferrari. Hell, we only know his results. He could be great at giving feedback in a simulator for all we know.

They've got Kimi and Seb anyway, so it's probably just for calibration and reserve.

Top Bottom