• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Frame Rate of Fallout 4 in Interiors is horrible [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

I'm sure there are dozens of people playing on here, can anyone replicate the OP?

I experienced the same problems in the same building on Xbox One instead of PS4. You can provoke the framedrops by having lots of light sources in your FOV and while the lighting looks awesome it seems to tax the GPU quite a lot. Especially the moving lights in that building. Other buildings and dungeons were flawless though so far. (I'm just 5 hours in)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well for me personally, I can see the difference between 30fps and 60fps just fine. But I don't care which it is. 30fps is fine with me. Hell you could put it to 24fps with motion blur and call it "filmic" and I'd buy it. So I'm framerate agnostic, within reason.

But this.... this looks visibly choppy. I think people would notice, even if they don't know what framerate is. They'd see it start to chug along slowly and it would be disappointing. Whether or not they'd ultimately care is another story...

Me too. I'm happy with 30fps and I'll live with slower framerates. But I do like things steady. That PS4 video showed it chugging when turning and seeing a large area come into view. Chugging when turning is a real bugbear of mine so it puts me off. Some drop in framerate when the whole world is exploding is fine, but during normal movement is a no-no.

JackEtc

Alright, screenshots of the Corvega Assembly Plant, the place OP used to test loading, are below. I guess don't look if you don't wanna see.

Who to believe about the building size? You guys can judge for yourselves: http://imgur.com/a/xcBc4

Screens 5 and 6 are two different rooms in sort of the same big area but divided by like some scaffolding and grate stairs you see me on.

Screen 7 is the tunnel system, which has like a kitchen branching off of it, as well as some tunnels that lead to some miscellaneous stuff, and then one tunnel that, after climbing a few sets of underground stairs, leads to the big area in screen 8.

JackEtc

This building's huuuuuuuge maaan, i got lost for an houuuuurrr

*posts picture of closet*

Lmao it might've had something to do with me getting lost, but I just posted the pics judge for yourself. I'm pretty positive it's the biggest seamless (no loading) building I've been in

Trace

Banned
Sorry, yes. BUT, the 1 hour gameplay posted shows long loading screens too!

I'm sure there are long loading screens when you're loading into the open-world, that's pretty much par for the course. Going into a massive building and saying "this is the average load time" is fairly disingenuous though.

I'll know how bad it is in like 6 hours anyway, no reason to freak out now. PC should cope better with load times, they always have.

ekim

Alright, screenshots of the Corvega Assembly Plant, the place OP used to test loading, are below. I guess don't look if you don't wanna see.

Who to believe about the building size? You guys can judge for yourselves: http://imgur.com/a/xcBc4

Screens 5 and 6 are two different rooms in sort of the same big area but divided by like some scaffolding and grate stairs you see me on.

Screen 7 is the tunnel system, which has like a kitchen branching off of it, as well as some tunnels that lead to some miscellaneous stuff, and then one tunnel that, after climbing a few sets of underground stairs, leads to the big area in screen 8.

The size quite large of the building. The lower areas run fine but the upper levels all suffer from the same frame drops.

related to the quest in that building.
And I have yet to find the
safe for which I got the keys after killing the raider boss

I measured the time for loading inside and outside of that building on Xbox One:
Going in: 18 seconds
Going out: 21 seconds

Do you mean direct comparison to this?

This one has about 24 seconds loading screen.

Deeke[VRZ];184749557 said:
What sensitivity do you play on, OP? Doesn't a high sensitivity do something to frame rates in texture-heavy games like these?

I think the default sensitivity is at 20 %, mine's at ~ 40 %.

I'm sure there are long loading screens when you're loading into the open-world, that's pretty much par for the course. Going into a massive building and saying "this is the average load time" is fairly disingenuous though.

I'll know how bad it is in like 6 hours anyway, no reason to freak out now. PC should cope better with load times, they always have.

You know, then maybe it is just 15 seconds average loading time to get into a building (I never claimed that loading times were always this long btw), going outstide takes ~ 30seconds.

Sorry again, I underestimated the size, I was thinking in other sizes.

ekim

and the last pictures show the culprits. that bright lights are all casting dynamic shadows through the gridded stairs, NPCs etc as well as reflections.

Do you mean direct comparison to this?

This one has about 24 seconds loading screen.

Yes!

JackEtc

and the last pictures show the culprits. that bright lights are all casting dynamic shadows through the gridded stairs, NPCs etc as well as reflections

Yeah, they're moving spotlights that lock onto anything that moves. All over the inside and outside

panty

Those loading times... damn.

A Bethesda game running like crap on a Playstation. Really now.

Was looking forward to this but no thanks.

dk_

In retrospective I'm so glad I waited for the PC version. I saw the PS4 version on Friday at a retailer and I was almost baited.

JackEtc

Those loading times... damn.

A Bethesda game running like crap on a Playstation. Really now.

Was looking forward to this but no thanks.

Really? 20 something seconds every few minutes is going to prevent you from playing an awesome game? Think about what you're saying.

I can't even
KuGsj.gif
have fun watching from the sidelines I guess

ekim

How is the Performance of the XB1 Version?

So far it seems to be on par with the PS4 version. Has the same problems in that particular building in the OP but outside of that it's smooth enough with some minor drops here and there. Can't speak for the complete game though of course.

JackEtc

No shortage of awesome games to play these days, it's pretty easy to miss out on.

Yeah, but there's nothing out there anything close to what Bethesda makes. I can't see how anyone who's a fan of fallout would wait 7 years for a new game and then turn around and say "no thanks" because the loading screens aren't to their liking.

I noticed frame rate drops in the open world when:

- somenone threw a molotov cocktail at me
- explosions from grenades, rocket launchers etc.

But again, the open world fps is fine. Loading times are not that consistent going inside of buildings, range of 5-30 seconds in. Going out is also pretty inconsistent tbh, the video posted in the OP shows more than 30 seconds, but I also experienced only 10 second loading screens. Strange.

JackEtc

But again, the open world fps is fine. Loading times are not that consistent going inside of buildings, range of 5-30 seconds in. Going out is also pretty inconsistent tbh, the video posted in the OP shows more than 30 seconds, but I also experienced only 10 second loading screens. Strange.

Molotovs exploding right in your face definitely dips the framerate for a split second. I feel like that happens in pretty much every game with fire exploding like that though, so whatever

Why would you want to play something like Fallout stoned

Bro

Yeah, but there's nothing out there anything close to what Bethesda makes. I can't see how anyone who's a fan of fallout would wait 7 years for a new game and then turn around and say "no thanks" because the loading screens aren't to their liking.

I don't know how anyone who finds these loading times unbearably long, could bear to play any of the larger open world games available on consoles right now to begin with.

ekim

Fast travel is also rather fast as well as loading after death. (I guess it depends on your location)
I only experienced frame drops in the open world in places with lots of trees next to each other. Maybe due to godrays? (I believe I've seen some - not sure though)

JackEtc

I don't know how anyone who finds these loading times unbearably long, could bear to play any of the larger open world games available on consoles right now to begin with.

Exactly. It's the norm. People need to stop complaining and accept that it's just how it is. I get to enjoy an amazing game that took thousand and thousands of hours to make and craft by tons of talented people, and if that means I have to wait god forbid half a minute for a new part of this amazing world to load, I think I'm fine with making that sacrifice.

roytheone

Really? 20 something seconds every few minutes is going to prevent you from playing an awesome game? Think about what you're saying.

I can't even
KuGsj.gif
have fun watching from the sidelines I guess

For me, it's more the number of loading screens than their length. A lot of open worlds coming out recently had seamless moving in and out of interiors. It helps a lot with immersion and the illusion of a big world.

Fast travel is also rather fast as well as loading after death. (I guess it depends on your location)
I only experienced frame drops in the open world in places with lots of trees next to each other. Maybe due to godrays? (I believe I've seen some - not sure though)

Yes. Loading after death is fast, pretty much 5 seconds. Quicksaving is also pretty fast.

Fast traveling is fast for me too right now, but it can take up to one minute depending how far you fastravel I read in the other Fallout thread.

JackEtc

Yes. Loading after death is fast, pretty much 5 seconds. Quicksaving is also pretty fast.

Fast traveling is fast for me too right now, but it can take up to one minuted depending how far you fastravel I read in the other Fallout thread.
Yep, similar experiences here as well.

I can vouch that there's something special to getting a lil high and reading all about fully erect hand penises and sociopath toasters
LOL what fallout are you playing? I gotta find that stuff

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's just a couple of interiors, and sadly ones you're likely to encounter earlier in the game. I experienced awful framerates in some spots the first night I played (we're talking ~12 FPS), but now, 26 hours in, it has happened very very rarely since. If at all.

I suspect the lighting is the culprit. Roving spotlights casting lots of dynamic shadows - that's the common element between all the trouble spots I experienced.

Edit: Load times though... yeah. Pretty brutal.

Lulubop

Really, you're gonna keep up the PR shit for everything? These long times are long, Pete.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i know bethesda games don't really launch in a great state but i'm surprised it's the PS4 that has issues. if anything i'd say it would be XB1 because it's at 1080p 30fps same as PS4 when most games only manage 900p.

i'll be getting the PC version but if I cant get 60fps or it just runs like shit on my AMD card then I'll be getting it for either XB1/PS4.

ekim

It's just a couple of interiors, and sadly ones you're likely to encounter earlier in the game. I experienced awful framerates in some spots the first night I played (we're talking ~12 FPS), but now, 26 hours in, it has happened very very rarely since. If at all.

I suspect the lighting is the culprit. Roving spotlights casting lots of dynamic shadows - that's the common element between all the trouble spots I experienced.

Yeah - like I said earlier, I'm suspecting the same. They should tone it down in a patch.

aravuus

Is weed only reserved for Hello Kitty Island Adventure?

What a fucking leap

I can vouch that there's something special to getting a lil high and reading all about fully erect hand penises and sociopath toasters

Suppose it's something you'd have to try before knocking

I can imagine games where you don't have to pay much attention or think at all, like Call of Duty multiplayer, being more fun when you're high. I'd imagine something like Fallout would be more enjoyable when you're sober.

But to each their own.

For me it depends on how bad loading times are relative to NV. 20-30 load every time you enter or exit a building gets really immersion breaking after a while. NV is around the 20-30 mark and worse sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom