• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fraternal Order of Police endorses Donald Trump for President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/trump-fraternal-order-of-police-endorsement-228296

The Fraternal Order of Police endorsed Donald Trump for president on Friday, praising the Republican nominee’s “real commitment to law enforcement.”

Trump met with the 330,000-member police union in early August and its endorsement bolsters his claim that he is the “law and order candidate.
” The order’s national president, Chuck Canterbury, said Hillary Clinton did not seek his organization’s endorsement, and a Fraternal Order of Police official told POLITICO that Clinton did not send back the group's questionnaire until a month after the deadline for it had passed.
The former secretary of state’s calls for reformed policing tactics have been met with criticism by some in the law enforcement community who see her stance as opposition to law enforcement. Trump, by comparison, has more strongly taken the side of police officers in speeches and at campaign events.

“He’s made a real commitment to America’s law enforcement, and we’re proud to make a commitment to him and his campaign by endorsing his candidacy today,” Canterbury said. “Donald Trump may not have ever been elected to public safety, but he is a proven leader and that’s what we need for the next four years — a leader unafraid to make tough choices and see them through."

Seesaw15

Paul-Rudd-Oh-shit-im-okay.gif

Pretty much.

Hard to be shocked by the "law and order" candidate getting the "law and order" endorsement, and yet it still brings a wince.

We need criminal justice reform in this country, and a Trump presidency would just add fuel to the fires of our systems-normal-all-fucked-up status quo.

We'll build a giant blue wall, and the downtrodden will pay for it.

Morts

It's absurd to me that he would get the endorsement of any organization whose members own shoes. This candidacy should be a joke and instead I'm becoming ashamed of my country.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
For context, does anyone know this organization's history of endorsements? Do they always go Republican?

Info on other police unions is welcome, too.

Might be a bit of hyperbole, but this feels like if Trump is elected, we'll never have the discussion to start holding cops responsible for the killing of unarmed or non-threatening citizens. Especially for POC.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I just looked up the Fraternal Order of Police as I didn't know what it was before now. I can't believe this is a legit organization endorsing Donald Trump. Can some police officers explain this to me? Because this is not a good look.

I just looked up the Fraternal Order of Police as I didn't know what it was before now. I can't believe this is a legit organization. Can some police officers explain this to me? Because this is not a good look.

There is nothing wrong with a national organization that is dedicated to pushing the causes of law enforcement. There is nothing wrong with local unions fighting for the rights of law enforcement. Both are a fine look, so to speak.

The issue with both is the execution in these cases: where local union and the FOP at large seek to quell or dismiss citizen dissent against law enforcement practices.

Might be a bit of hyperbole, but this feels like if Trump is elected, we'll never have the discussion to start holding cops responsible for the killing of unarmed or non-threatening citizens. Especially for POC.

Trump literally has never mentioned the killing of black men. He thinks the only thing wrong with black communities is that we shoot each other all the time and the Mexicans bring the drugs and take the jobs.

I wish I was over exaggerating this.

Trump is significantly less hostile towards labor than your typical establishment republican, so it's not surprising to see him pick up some union support.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
There is nothing wrong with a national organization that is dedicated to pushing the causes of law enforcement. There is nothing wrong with local unions fighting for the rights of law enforcement. Both are a fine look, so to speak.

The issue with both is the execution in these cases: where local union and the FOP at large seek to quell or dismiss citizen dissent against law enforcement practices.

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I can't believe this is a legit organization endorsing Donald Trump.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Not to say that I haven't spoken similar sentiments, however I don't think I've ever said this non-ironically before:

Fuck the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom