• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2016 Nominees announced [Update: Full list in OP]

Izuna

Banned
Doom nor Titanfall 2 should get GOTY

but then again, nothing else on the list is all that :s

meh

Give it to Overwatch

Liamc723

Will this be worth staying up at 2 in the morning for? I skipped it last year and remember not really missing much. I kinda got a feeling that this year's might deliver though. Those rumours about Naughty Dog's next game...

These Game Awards are not what they were before Keighley took the reigns, expect small new game announcements.

A new game from Naughty Dog absolutely will not be there.

MaKTaiL

There really should be a "Best Stealth Game" category. There is no way HITMAN can beat Uncharted in that list. HITMAN deserves it more than Uncharted in my opinion but I believe plenty of people will just vote for the latter because it's more popular.

Beelzebubs

I based my vote of best e-sports team on who looked least serious. These are video games stop being so serious :p

It's a shame that Unicorns of Love (EU LoL team) weren't nominated. This is how their manager dresses for tournaments :p

n8ek7cdbkxgvwgjomhkj.jpg

These Game Awards are not what they were before Keighley took the reigns, expect small new game announcements.

A new game from Naughty Dog absolutely will not be there.

Well no, I wouldn't have thought so either. It seems way too soon for them to announce a new game. But like I said... rumours. And ND do have a history of debuting their games at Keighley shindigs.

jeffram

GOTY

INSIDE

BEST STUDIO/GAME DIRECTION

Blizzard

BEST NARRATIVE

Firewatch

BEST ART DIRECTION

INSIDE

BEST MUSIC/SOUND DESIGN

Battlefield 1

BEST PERFORMANCE

Cissy Jones as Delilah, Firewatch

GAMES FOR IMPACT AWARD

That Dragon, Cancer

BEST INDEPENDENT GAME

Firewatch

BEST MOBILE/HANDHELD GAME

Monster Hunter Generations

BEST VR GAME

Rez Infinite

BEST ACTION GAME

Gears of War 4

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME

Hitman

BEST ROLE-PLAYING GAME

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- Blood and Wine

BEST FIGHTING GAME

Killer Instinct Season 3

BEST FAMILY GAME

Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens

BEST STRATEGY GAME

Fire Emblem Fates

BEST SPORTS/RACING GAME

Forza Horizon 3

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME

Overcooked

MOST ANTICIPATED GAME

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Uncharted 4 is not going to get shut out

Izuna

Banned
Titanfall 2 is great and I've heard really good things about Doom.

Neither of them seem at all out of place on that list.

Doom's MP is poop and the campaign shows that we haven't really improved since the 90s. It's a throwback. Though it's performance is amazing.

R2's MP being worse than R1 should stop it also. I mean, the campaign is amazing, but look at how relieved everyone is that R2 has a single map from the original game.

Overwatch is on another level in terms of balance and being a straight up no issues experience.

Doom's MP is poop and the campaign shows that we haven't really improved since the 90s. It's a throwback. Though it's performance is amazing.

R2's MP being worse than R1 should stop it also. I mean, the campaign is amazing, but look at how relieved everyone is that R2 has a single map from the original game.

Overwatch is on another level in terms of balance and being a straight up no issues experience.

I haven't played Doom at all, so I can't actually speak on it much, but I don't think the multiplayer being mediocre is enough to discredit the apparently amazing single-player. I get it's the same game, but totally separate content that can be completely ignored doesn't really matter when the rest of the game is enough to carry it on its own.

As for Titanfall 2, I didn't play the first one, so everything is new to me, and the multiplayer seems great from what I've played. Most people outside of GAF seem to agree on this as well. I have no idea what particular issues people have with it, but I imagine it's the same hyperbole I see every say on this site.

I could probably make an argument that Overwatch doesn't deserve GOTY because it's multiplayer-only, or because it has microtransactions despite being full price, or because it still isn't properly balanced and doesn't have all of its features/modes 7 months after its full release. I wouldn't because those things don't actually matter to me or most people, but I could do it for no reason if I wanted to I guess.

Besides, whatever wins GOTY at this awards show, it's not some sort of official statement on what is actually the best game this year. You're not going to be arrested for playing Overwatch if it doesn't win or something. Just play what you want and ignore the awards. They don't mean anything in the long run.

also overwatch not getting nominated for sound direction and FURI not getting nominated for best soundtrack/best indie is a sham

oops meant to post this in the ot

LifEndz

Looking over those nominees and god damn has it been a good year for shooters.

Side note, What the hell is Troy Baker as Sam in UC4 doing being nominated? That weird northeast accent felt so damn forced.

xviper

GOTY is obviously gonna be The overrated, Uncharted 4

i hope Overwatch wins because it's the greatest multiplayer game i have ever played, but i know that won't happen

SJRB

Gold Member
Isn't this starting in like 3 minutes?

Edit: and as I post this I see the other thread. I swear I searched.

nikos

Kudos for this 4K Youtube broadcast. Was thinking about how nice it would be to watch in 4K, but didn't think it would be realistic, yet here we are.

Looking over those nominees and god damn has it been a good year for shooters.

Side note, What the hell is Troy Baker as Sam in UC4 doing being nominated? That weird northeast accent felt so damn forced.

Because accent or no is was a more nuanced performance than just about any other in a game that wasn't Uncharted 4

Top Bottom