• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Game of the Year 2023 Nominees

What game do you think will win Game of The year 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG-0249.jpg

Would you kindly? :)

A lot of the categories towards the end don’t interest me at all. I’d vote for Mickey Mouse if I could.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
By the way, I just realized that even Hi-Fi Rush didn't get nominated either.

That means there is no Xbox game on the list. I was of the belief (and on the record) saying that they will nominate at least one Xbox game, kind of like a participation trophy, but it will be Hi-Fi Rush, not Starfield.

They didn't nominate any Xbox game in the end.

And as of today, only 2 of these 6 games are playable on Xbox.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Each game prior in the franchise is a unique RPG. It’s the genre of the series. So failing to make anything RPG there matter in an installment is a fail.

Otherwise, the next FF game could be a basketball game by your argument.

FF VII Remake actually had leveling, weapons, customization, etc. matter, so it works as a RPG.
Well technically there is grear, leveling and skills in ff16, so it's not like it's no rpg at all.
Action rpg ?

Buggy Loop

BG3 should also win the soundtrack

Imagine starting this at the show :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Raphael's final act is so good

Or fighting a boss with this

Or these songs, they fit the game so well

If you spend an hour in the character creation ..

But if game awards play a song for the winner, I can't imagine this not being played

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That RPG category is a disgrace, considering so many great RPGs released in 2023.

Star Ocean 2 Remake
Atelier Ryza 3
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
Octopath Traveler II
Trails to Azure
Trails Into Reverie
Mario RPG Remake
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails
Front Mission 2 Remake
Trinity Trigger
Atelier Marie Remake
Rhapsody Marl Kingdom Chronicles
Baten Kaitos I & 2 Remaster
Dragon Quest The Adventures of Dai
Silent Hope
Dragon Quest Monsters 3

Even if remakes and remasters aren't allowed, there's still enough here that is better than their selections.

Doom85

Well technically there is grear, leveling and skills in ff16, so it's not like it's no rpg at all.
Action rpg ?

And none of it makes a lick of a difference.

-gear upgrades are minor and offer no additional skills or passive buffs. Also you’re restricted to the same sword move set and nothing else
-leveling, LOL. Even less impactful
-skills are mostly interchangeable, especially with no elemental weaknesses/resistances. The game being quite easy only makes it worse

FF XVI is as much a RPG as Resident Evil 6 is a horror game.

Doom85

Yeah he kind of does.
yyEgj0R.png

Oh, well then, maybe you have a point-

Hang on, 4?

Let me check…

(turns back slowly to Danjin)

Season 7 Episode 3 GIF by The Big Bang Theory

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Its the hottest new release, and pretty much the only PS exclusive that mattered this year.

So of course you'll see that get a nominee.
It’s sad that that‘s enough for a nominee.
What does SM2 do that innovates the medium, or even stands out?
If Mario shouldn’t have been there, SM2 shouldn’t be there by the same metric.
The bias and politics on display are crystal clear, on every front.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh, well then, maybe you have a point-

Hang on, 4?

Let me check…

(turns back slowly to Danjin)

Season 7 Episode 3 GIF by The Big Bang Theory
Look at name who reviewed Armored Core, Japanese mecha were never going to be popular in west...

Armored Core got shit back then same reason as God Hand got shit on.
DcJKuNPX4AEOPmJ.jpg

Luigi Mario

Each game prior in the franchise is a unique RPG. It’s the genre of the series. So failing to make anything RPG there matter in an installment is a fail.

Otherwise, the next FF game could be a basketball game by your argument.

FF VII Remake actually had leveling, weapons, customization, etc. matter, so it works as a RPG.
The lack of RPG elements was always a concern, remember this:

DQodXf0.jpg

They never addressed this question any further and by the time final previews went live, it was clear why that was the case.

Last edited:

Doom85

Look at name who reviewed Armored Core, Japanese mecha were never going to be popular in west...

Armored Core got shit back then same reason as God Hand got shit on.
DcJKuNPX4AEOPmJ.jpg

I see the name, I also see that plenty of others, including non-critics, were not big on Armored Core 4. Regardless, Geoff gave the final big spotlight of last year to Armored Core 6. Don’t be mad at him that 2023 was stacked and AC 6 just couldn’t make the cut.

Danjin44

I see the name, I also see that plenty of others, including non-critics, were not big on Armored Core 4. Regardless, Geoff gave the final big spotlight of last year to Armored Core 6. Don’t be mad at him that 2023 was stacked and AC 6 just couldn’t make the cut.
Armored Core 4 was one of AC games Miyazaki himself directed and it was really good too but unfortunately AC games (most JP mecha games) just never popular in west.

Doom85

Armored Core 4 was one of AC games Miyazaki himself directed and it was really good too but unfortunately AC games (most JP mecha games) just never popular in west.

Actually, AC 4 is the lowest rated main AC game aside from the first in terms of Famitsu, so nope, Japanese critics weren’t as big on it either.

It was Miyazaki’s directorial debut. Not all directors get off to an amazing start.

Danjin44

Actually, AC 4 is the lowest rated main AC game aside from the first in terms of Famitsu, so nope, Japanese critics weren’t as big on it either.

It was Miyazaki’s directorial debut. Not all directors get off to an amazing start.
And God Hand also got really low review score on Famitsu.....your point? Are really judge game quality based scores?

skit_data

the amount of gaslighting from fanboys on here is getting nauseating
Gaslighting to some extent involves leaving the "target" questioning themselves but here's its pretty much laid out in black and white so it's more akin to some lunatic screaming word salad in public and people passing by going

Vine Ok GIF

Last edited:

Doom85

And God Hand also got really low review score on Famitsu.....your point? Are really judge game quality based scores?

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

If you don’t care about reviews, why are you concerned about it winning awards? It’s more or less the same thing.

The FACT is Geoff and his team highlighted the game as the closing trailer, which means it’s the most fresh in people’s memories as the show ends, last year. That happened, you cannot deny it. Don’t get mad at them just because virtually everyone agrees 2023 was stacked and not everyone is as obsessed with Armored Core as you. No one is saying AC 6 is bad, but you honestly can’t believe many people might genuinely think a bunch of other games are better?

It‘s just unfair to be automatically dismissive of other’s opinions as some anti-mech bias, especially as the sales thread showed AC 6 sold quite well.

Danjin44

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

If you don’t care about reviews, why are you concerned about it winning awards? It’s more or less the same thing.

The FACT is Geoff and his team highlighted the game as the closing trailer, which means it’s the most fresh in people’s memories as the show ends, last year. That happened, you cannot deny it. Don’t get mad at them just because virtually everyone agrees 2023 was stacked and not everyone is as obsessed with Armored Core as you. No one is saying AC 6 is bad, but you honestly can’t believe many people might genuinely think a bunch of other games are better?

It‘s just unfair to be automatically dismissive of other’s opinions as some anti-mech bias, especially as the sales thread showed AC 6 sold quite well.
It just not AC6, Octopath 2 not getting nominated for best soundtrack is fucking baffling to me.....like I said this mostly popularity contest.

Doom85

It just not AC6, Octopath 2 not getting nominated for best soundtrack is fucking baffling to me.....like I said this mostly popularity contest.

I mean, BG 3 and Alan Wake 2 have excellent OSTs. One of the very few things I can praise FF XVI for is its OST. And I haven’t played Hi Fi Rush but I would assume its OST has to slap.

Again, it’s a stacked year.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Haven't played BG3, but I'm not really big on CRPGs, though I'll play it eventually just to see what it's all about. Loved Zelda and RE4. Both are in my top 5 GOTY, but were slightly edged out in terms of what were my favorites.

Setzer

Baldur's Gate 3 winning this easily but there are some questionable omissions not on this list including Street Fighter 6 and Hogwart's Legacy. I understand maybe Hogwarts not being nominated for GOTY but to not even be nominated for best RPG is pretty funny. Shows these clowns intentionally left it off this list because it's Harry Potter and its ties to J.K. Rowling.

It’s sad that that‘s enough for a nominee.
What does SM2 do that innovates the medium, or even stands out?
If Mario shouldn’t have been there, SM2 shouldn’t be there by the same metric.
The bias and politics on display are crystal clear, on every front.
Yeah, imo both SM and Mario benefit way too much from their brand alone. Very solid games, but Mario is just a slightly lamer version of what Rayman Origins/Legends did 10 years ago and SM is just a polished run of the mill open world game. Would these games still be nominated with less known characters? Doubt it /shrug

Last edited:
Spencer literally said Starfield could be an 11/10 game and it still wouldn't out-console Sony. But it has garnered a record in subscription services upon release in Gamepass. It did break records for Bethesda Studios. It did hit 6 million players in its first 48 hours upon release. And it also was the highest selling game in September and #7 in most sold in 2023 (thats up against other high profile titan games from this year) - not to mention 11+ million players thusfar. It may not be nominated for GoTY on the game awards but it will garner other GoTY awards from other outlets.

Frankly speaking, I'm right. You're wrong. It is what it is...
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Well, playing as a deaf girl vandalizing walls with graffiti and setting up prom dates dates for gay people is pretty wall breaking if you ask me.
damn it's crazy how the only thing you can do in spiderman 2 is play as a deaf girl. It's crazy how there's no such thing as a venom suit or miles morales or even peter parker, the entire game is just woke deaf girl. I feel scammed.

Ummmm......maybe I'm missing your point? " One of the most important RPG's ever made." "Spencer wants Starfield to be bigger than Skyrim" "Microsoft bought Bethesda to stop Starfield from becoming a Playstation exclusive" etc.... I dont get where he's saying its supposed to save Xbox here, broski...

Again, Starfield is a HUGE success. Its like a lot of you kats live in some alternate reality, and because you FEEL LIKE Starfield was a failure, it is. Bizarre behavior.......Hate to break it to you my dude, but F your feelings (no offense). its still selling and still being talked about MONTHS after its initial release. Thats pretty unprecedented when most games are only talked about for a week. The numbers dont lie. And frankly, for it to be a brand new IP, no attached lore or community, and to see the numbers and success its had all ready is a pretty clear message.
Feelings Feels GIF by WE tv

Top Bottom