• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gamepark 32 is my absolute favorite handheld of all time

Krejlooc

Banned
Released in 2001, around the same time as the GBA, the GP32 was the absolute coolest handheld on the planet for quite a while. It occupied a very unique time when homebrew development was really taking off on various home consoles, such as the Dreamcast, and offered a very powerful portable package with no restrictions on development.

Gp32.jpg

I learned about the GP32, oddly enough, in an issue of EGM where they were reviewing the "next-gen" of handheld consoles. They were comparing the Gameboy Color, the new-ish Gameboy Advance, the Wonderswan, among a few other pretenders. Their conclusion was for everyone to pick up the GBA, but at the end of the article they outlined two "wildcards" in their decision: The GP32 and the then-upcoming Tapwave Zodiac.

Their description of the GP32 -- they concluded the commercial game market would never materialize but that it might be home to a great homebrew community -- intrigued me such that I ordered one straight from Korea on my birthday. It arrived with a 128 mb Smart Media Card, and I picked up the physical boxed copy of Tomak Save the Earth Again, Dungeon & Garder, Her Knight: All for Princess, and Little Wizard. It would turn out that those games would eventually become extremely rare to own in physical copies, as, true to EGM's word, the commercial game market for the GP32 never really materialized. Only a handful of real, commercial games ever emerged.

That, however, is not why I got my GP32. The games were neat - Tomak looked like Metal Slug, Little Wizard was a fun fighting game, Her Knight was a very strange beat 'em up, Dungeon & Garder... well, sucked. But the real reason I picked it up was because of the then-thriving homebrew scene. In many, many ways, the GP32 was so far ahead of its time.

The GP32 became sort of the unofficial little brother of the homebrew Dreamcast scene. The GP32 was awesome in that it supported SDL nearly out of the gate, which made developing for the thing a breeze, and most people would mirror projects between the dreamcast and gp32. Eventually link cables and chatpads were developed to let you further connect the GP32 and Dreamcast scenes.

A bunch of the highest profile homebrew releases from that era were either GP32-first or got really good GP32 ports early on. Early stand outs included Beats of Rage, which released alongside the Dreamcast version, SmashGP (a smash bros clone for the GP32), and Great Giana Sisters Return.

The otherside of homebrew development was a bunch of really well made ports of existing games. Throughout the GP32's life, it saw extremely well made ports of Doom (including all wads and Doom 2), Rise of the Triad, Wolfenstein, Rogue, ScummVM, Pinball Dreams (actually released as a full commercial title on Gamepark's digital distribution network), Another World (AND the Sega CD exclusive Heart of the Alien), Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Hexen & Heretic, and Flashback, among others.

And, of course, emulation. Glorious, glorious emulation. Full speed NES emulation came basically day 1 with LittleJohn, full speed PC Engine emulation followed shortly. Then came full speed Master System/Game Gear emulation. Then full speed Genesis emulation with Dr. MD. Before long, you could play SNES games, Wonderswan games, Neo Geo Pocket games, gameboy and gameboy color games, various micro computers like the MSX2, ZX Spectrum, C64, and even stuff like CPS1 emulation in MAME. The very day I got my GP32, I loaded up Little John on my GP32 and played Ninja Gaiden on the road and it absolutely blew my mind. Please keep in mind that this was 2001.

Then there was the media playback support. The GP32 came with a build in MP3 player and they sold an app on their digital distribution network called GPCinema that could play avi files encoded in mpeg2, which also came with a media converter. This was like weeks before the ipod 1 came out, and 3 years before ipods weren't mac-only, and 5 years before they could play video. The GP32 was my first MP3 player, and I remember taking it with me to college classes to listen to MP3s.

I've mentioned a few times that gamepark had a digital distribution network. Now entirely defunct, you could purchase additional applications and newly released games on their service. Through this service, I bought pinball fantasies, GP Cinema, and a few other games like Astonisha Story R (which later got ported to the PSP) and GP Fight. Patches for existing games, like Tomak Save the Earth Again, were also distributed through this network. Downloaded files were encoded to only work with your GP32 using a system ID, but it could easily be altered with a hexeditor.

I actually kept up with GP32 releases. I own a copy of the last game released, a metroidvania game only released in europe called Blue Angelo, the absolute rarest title for the GP32, which was also never distributed digitally. It is a surprisingly great game, one of the better metroidvanias of that era.

Initially, the GP32 didn't feature any sort of light, it was like the old school gameboy. When modders began offering afterburner mods for the Gameboy Advance, Gamepark came out with an updated front-lit GP32 called the FLU. this was eventually replaced with the GP32 Backlit unit, or BLU, which offered a better screen. The original BLU had universal compatibility with the entire GP32 library, but an updated BLU, called BLU+, used a knock-off screen that was incompatible. Hence, some games were released in dual formats, both with a normal executable and with a BLU+ patched version.

Most importantly, I actually coded for the thing. It was just awesome. Slowly, the homebrew scene left the Gp32 in favor of stuff like the GP2X or later things like PSP hacking. but for a good 2-3 years, the GP32 was the absolute coolest homebrew system in the world.

Today, info on the GP32 is hyper scarce. I actually couldn't find any screen shots of any of the games - homebrew or commercial - online to litter this post with. Even finding downloadable files for the GP32 is tough. Finding commercial games is near impossible.

I still have my GP32, and a GP32 BLU (non-plus) and about 20 SMCs and all my commercial releases. I'll try and snap some pictures of the games running. Anybody else have great memories of this terrific and largely forgotten handheld?

I always wanted one of these...I remember lurking scene forums and marveling at its ability to emulate stuff portably back in the day. I lost track of this device once it kind of splintered into two rival factions developing quasi-sequel devices.

GP32 was a novel thing back in that post-GBA, pre PSP handheld lull, definitely.

hellocld

Never played a 32, but I've got a CAANOO and it's pretty sweet. I used it mostly for emulation, but I remember seeing plenty of homebrew titles for it. Plus I think it hand some level of compatibility with the GP32(?).

Krejlooc

Banned
Damn dude not even one screenshot of what the games looked like? From your own personal collection

Today, info on the GP32 is hyper scarce. I actually couldn't find any screen shots of any of the games - homebrew or commercial - online to litter this post with. Even finding downloadable files for the GP32 is tough. Finding commercial games is near impossible.

I'm at work on my lunchbreak ATM, hence no access to my hardware. But I'll snap some pictures later tonight, most of the original games had exceptional graphics for 2001. The others, like Jazz Jackrabbit or Doom, look identical to their PC counterparts.

But could it emulate SNES games at full speed?

The very day I got my GP32, I loaded up Little John on my GP32 and played Ninja Gaiden on the road and it absolutely blew my mind. Please keep in mind that this was 2001.

You had something to rip NES games with in 2001? Neat.

Alx

I must still have mine somewhere in my apartment... I liked the hardware a lot (especially the d-pad-stick), had bought a few games for it (like a very good looking beat'em up), and intended to do some light development for it... but never did in the end.
6knights.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
I vaguely recall hearing about the GP32, but nothing beyond a mention. I didn't even know it came out, much less anything about the homebrew scene. Cool story OP.

SmokyDave

Yeah, it was cool as fuck. Still have mine boxed and cherished, though I barely play it because the screen is shot to shit :(

There's a surprising dearth of information for it out there. I had to find the firmware a few years back and it was a right pain in the ass.

SerTapTap

Wow that sounds really cool, hadn't heard if it. I'm amazed how many oddball consults and portables exist that I didn't hear of at the time.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I am very surprised at how many people don't remember this. I always wanted one at the time, very cool system. To have that level of emulation on a handheld in 2001 was unprecedented.

Krejlooc

Banned
I have one! Ran MSX and Famicom emulators on it. Used to be my best friend on flights.

I remember there being a ton of excitement when that 3D engine development tool was released. I got banned from Penny-arcade for posting an image of a Metal Gear VR homebrew title because they thought I was advocating piracy, lol.

I actually found a screenshot of that:

qzIMxl9.jpg

You had something to rip NES games with in 2001? Neat.

Indeed I did, I had an IO-56 along with the ISA connection bracket. I also had a Super Magic Drive in those days.

If he wanted to talk about it on GAF, yes, but I'm just busting his balls. I doubt he'll get banned for some piracy he did almost fifteen years ago.

I won't get banned because I didn't pirate. I've been a part of the game preservation scene for over a decade now.

Krejlooc

Banned
I must still have mine somewhere in my apartment... I liked the hardware a lot (especially the d-pad-stick), had bought a few games for it (like a very good looking beat'em up), and intended to do some light development for it... but never did in the end.
6knights.jpg

One of my favorite "commercial" games for the GP32 was actually released as freeware. It's called Blood Cross, and it eventually released as a PC game, but it was originally a GP32 game. They released a demo for free, and that's all they ever put out on the GP32, but it felt like a competent and semi-full game. You only had 3 characters, but the characters were enormous and well detailed. It played more like Fire Pro Wrestling than a normal fighting game, very technical and timing oriented.

One of the coolest games on the system:

UquY9u8.png

Damaniel

Banned
I 'sold' mine years ago (well, I didn't actually get the money; the buyer filed a dispute with eBay and got their money back from me). I wish I hadn't.

I believe there was also a game called 'Dyhard with Infinite Stairs'. And yes, I owned that one -- I probably owned about half a dozen of the commercial releases at one point.

I had one. When I get back home I'll post pictures of the thing. I only had Little Wizard and Pinball Dreams. But let me tell you - downloading full games to your handheld back then was WAY ahead if it's time.

Krejlooc

Banned
I 'sold' mine years ago (well, I didn't actually get the money; the buyer filed a dispute with eBay and got their money back from me). I wish I hadn't.

I believe there was also a game called 'Dyhard with Infinite Stairs'. And yes, I owned that one -- I probably owned about half a dozen of the commercial releases at one point.

I always wanted that game, I thought it was going to be a diehard clone or something.

Then I remember seeing screenshots on their digital distribution network and it looked more like rainbow islands than diehard and never got it, haha.

sörine

Banned
Googling GP32 it seems like some major Japanese publishers even announced support that sadly never materialized. SNK with King of Fighters, ASW with Guilty Gear X, Spike with Fire Pro, Sanrio with Hello Kitty Tetris and finally Capcom with Rockman X5, Breath of Fire III and Street Fighter Alpha 3.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
you've really done it justice with your funsaver photo, wall of text, and couple screens of clearly low-rent games

Yuuichi

This was actually a super interesting read, looked up some of the specs and this was an impressive little machine. 133MHz cpu, 8mb ram, 512k rom, and compatibility with some interesting storage mediums.

It's almost a proto-mobile gaming device. Always shocks me to see things so ahead of their time like this.

Krejlooc

Banned
sörine;141805261 said:
Googling GP32 it seems like some major Japanese publishers even announced support that sadly never materialized. SNK with King of Fighters, ASW with Guilty Gear X, Spike with Fire Pro, Sanrio with Hello Kitty Tetris and finally Capcom with Rockman X5, Breath of Fire III and Street Fighter Alpha 3.

There was hints of support but I think those were all just optimistic expectations, I'm not sure any sort of deals were ever inked.

I had never heard of this before, but man, this was a super-cool thread to read through. Seems like a very cool idea for a system that just never took off, sadly. Some of the homebrew games look great.

Krejlooc

Banned
you've really done it justice with your funsaver photo, wall of text, and couple screens of clearly low-rent games

Oh sorry, do you need me to post a screenshot of Doom so you're not in the dark? Need help visualizing what Duke Nukem 3D looks like?

Damaniel

Banned
I had never heard of this before, but man, this was a super-cool thread to read through. Seems like a very cool idea for a system that just never took off, sadly. Some of the homebrew games look great.

The system was pretty powerful for the time (Wikipedia says it had a 166 MHz ARM processor and 8MB of RAM - and this was back in 2001 (for comparison, the Game Boy Advance, out around the same time, had 1/10 the clock speed and 1/32 of the RAM). It was the first handheld I can think of that had a very healthy homebrew scene (perhaps one of the first consoles period, outside of the Atari 2600 and maybe the NES). Regardless of the mixed quality of the commercial releases, the hardware itself was ahead of its time.

Krejlooc

Banned
The system was pretty powerful for the time (Wikipedia says it had a 166 MHz ARM processor and 8MB of RAM - and this was back in 2001 (for comparison, the Game Boy Advance, out around the same time, had 1/10 the clock speed and 1/32 of the RAM). It was the first handheld I can think of that had a very healthy homebrew scene (perhaps one of the first consoles period, outside of the Atari 2600 and maybe the NES). Regardless of the mixed quality of the commercial releases, the hardware itself was ahead of its time.

Actually, it ran stock at 166 mhz. The thing could safely do 233 mhz, however, and depending on your model, you could crank it up to 266 mhz. It's just that doing so killed your battery life.

Aeana

I was pretty excited to get it when it came out, but I ended up using it mainly for playing music and emulation. The original games I got ended up being fairly crappy (Astonishia Story R, Little Wizard, Tomak: Save the Earth Again). That paired with the lack of backlight on it makes me not particularly fond of it overall.

Top Bottom