• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GoldenEye 007 XBLA remake has leaked

nkarafo

The Dam and Statue levels have the biggest mesh differences compared to the N64 originals.

All other levels are mostly the same + high res textures. There are a few improved meshes on guardrails here and there but that's it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Give me Twilight Princess HD Nintendong!!!
..but please with more effort than the Wii U version. Wind Waker HD with its resolution bump and improved lightning really made the game shine again. TPHD was just a moderate improvement, by comparison, maybe that's just the art direction though.

RNG

Can‘t break those tiny glass windows on the metal doors in Bunker 1 and 2 in this version, bummer. Seems like they used the bullet proof glass ones as a placeholder. Dammit MGM, if only this game had come out officially.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of sad that GoldenEye has been the only James Bond game anyone has ever cared about. I would have thought that a developer somewhere out there could have done the brand better by now. Personally I thought No One Lives Forever was pretty good and deserves a remake
Nightfire was cool too. Actually there only a few James Bond games I'd consider outright bad.

matty3092

Out of curiosity say if I had a RGH xbox 360 is this playable? Sorry for the stupid question never really looked into modded xboxes.

That’s because of nostalgia Goggles. No one ever mention’s Nightfire or Everything or Nothing, but of which are vastly superior and much more playable than Goldeneye. EoN was basically Pierce Brosnans last bond film, the story was amazing! Remake that one with an Uncharted budget and production values.

I miss games like this...

horkrux

Hell yes, my hacked 360 finally getting some more use.
I've only played the first level so far, seems like a fun game.

JayK47

I did not have any luck getting it to run. Keeps popping up an error. Seems I need a wired Xbox 360 controller to play it.

VAVA Mk2

Do Want Give It To Me GIF

Finished through to the end on real hardware. A few graphical glitches here and there. Also, weird things like not being able to shoot through the glass on doors, missing certain music tracks/not playing, it's very dark in some levels and there doesn't seem to be a brightness slider anywhere. Despite these bugs, it's refreshing being able to play in HD with 60fps and a new lick of paint. I still love this game and play it frequently on the N64 every couple of years or so. Fun gameplay, fun levels, fun multiplayer, good music. "Nostalgia goggles". What a sad argument. If a game's fun, it's fun.

If this ever released officially (without Daniel Craig preferably), I'd buy it.

Last edited:
Woahh! there is a remake? I hope that it wont be botched like the other remakes haha... and maybe add more features that will make it more challenging to play. Are there any released dates mentioned regarding its release date? Seems like a lot of people are waiting for it. Where did the leak started? it made a lot of poeple excited and curious about its remake verion. Is the remake version also developed by the same company? or even the same group of people who initially made it? Sorry for asking a lot of question haha just been curious about it.

Woahh! there is a remake? I hope that it wont be botched like the other remakes haha... and maybe add more features that will make it more challenging to play. Are there any released dates mentioned regarding its release date? Seems like a lot of people are waiting for it. Where did the leak started? it made a lot of poeple excited and curious about its remake verion. Is the remake version also developed by the same company? or even the same group of people who initially made it? Sorry for asking a lot of question haha just been curious about it.
It's more of a remaster rather than a remake like Perfect Dark that released on XBLA. It was under development internally at Rare but it never saw the light of day due to licensing agreements. I'm not sure if it was ever scheduled to be released officially as developers work on projects all the time. Maybe someone else knows this. Screenshots were published in magazines back around late 2000's. There was a screenshot on the internet a long time ago and the game was known as 'Bean' with Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark as the icon for the game. This leak is also known as 'Bean' but this build has a picture of Cradle (one of the levels in the game) as the icon for the game. A few years back, a YouTube user by the name of RareThief published 30 minutes of gameplay from the remastered GoldenEye which had an FPS counter in the top left of the screen. This leaked build doesn't have that so I'm assuming RareThief had a different build of the remaster. Very recently, Graslu00 played the game through it's entirety and stated that the game would be released in 2021. Finally after many years, this holy grail was released to the public on 03/02/2021. The version that has been leaked isn't a final build but very playable. Nothing game breaking. There's things like more modern control schemes, 60FPS, new textures and models, added maps in mulitplayer, system link (capable of online with certain methods). The game underneath feels very much identical to the original. Hope that's informative. I like to see people enthusiastic about games I love.

Last edited:

RNG

Rewatching some of that leaked long play video from Graslu00 a few days ago. I noticed the build he's playing on has:

- The main menu music properly playing again after beating a level
- Sped up versions of tracks at the end of Facility and Bunker for example
- Xenia's theme properly playing on Jungle when you face her
and
- He gets that sweet elevator music playing in the beginning of Control.

WTH I want this build. However, when he did the 100% run he has all those issues like us peasants. Now I'm confused.

Edit: Apparently it'll be fixed later. YES.

Last edited:

RNG

Most improved stage in the remaster is Cradle. So much better with the satellite background, which is the original vision of the stage before they had to change it to a sky box due to hardware limitations.

Last edited:

Xenon

Seeing the way the gun flops around, I can almost feel the crappy N64 analog stick.

I really enjoyed the N64 game back in the day but I'm going to leave that good memory alone.

It's more of a remaster rather than a remake like Perfect Dark that released on XBLA. It was under development internally at Rare but it never saw the light of day due to licensing agreements. I'm not sure if it was ever scheduled to be released officially as developers work on projects all the time. Maybe someone else knows this. Screenshots were published in magazines back around late 2000's. There was a screenshot on the internet a long time ago and the game was known as 'Bean' with Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark as the icon for the game. This leak is also known as 'Bean' but this build has a picture of Cradle (one of the levels in the game) as the icon for the game. A few years back, a YouTube user by the name of RareThief published 30 minutes of gameplay from the remastered GoldenEye which had an FPS counter in the top left of the screen. This leaked build doesn't have that so I'm assuming RareThief had a different build of the remaster. Very recently, Graslu00 played the game through it's entirety and stated that the game would be released in 2021. Finally after many years, this holy grail was released to the public on 03/02/2021. The version that has been leaked isn't a final build but very playable. Nothing game breaking. There's things like more modern control schemes, 60FPS, new textures and models, added maps in mulitplayer, system link (capable of online with certain methods). The game underneath feels very much identical to the original. Hope that's informative. I like to see people enthusiastic about games I love.
worth the wait. :lollipop_fire:

HE1NZ

Banned

Makes sense it was Nintendo. That franchise holders would block a release of a video game just doesn't make sense. Bond games are usually terrible and they never cared what kind of shit EA or Activision was releasing.

I feel like if Based Phil would try to talk with his contacts at Nintendo to secure a Xbox/Switch/PC release of this it could happen. Nintendo probably made a stink in 2007 because Microsoft wouldn't want to bring it on the Wii too, but they don't care about exclusivity anymore.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Makes sense it was Nintendo. That franchise holders would block a release of a video game just doesn't make sense. Bond games are usually terrible and they never cared what kind of shit EA or Activision was releasing.

I feel like if Based Phil would try to talk with his contacts at Nintendo to secure a Xbox/Switch/PC release of this it could happen. Nintendo probably made a stink in 2007 because Microsoft wouldn't want to bring it on the Wii too, but they don't care about exclusivity anymore.
You have to think this has their attention? If the team has stats on downloads working out a deal to get this out on Xbox and ported to Switch seems like an easy way to print money?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Money hats move decisions, offer Nintendo 5 million and 30% of the take and they are in.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You are gonna get shit for this but it's true. Good at best game that's a blurry 12 fps mess riding off of nostalgia of it's multiplayer.

The update to 60fps and clarity make a big difference here, just makes it better.
I think the thing that most games miss thst this game has is the sheer number of enemies.

RNG

So Nintendo basically trolled Microsoft at the last minute by changing their minds, hilarious.

Btw the original upload of the leak finally got taken down, thankfully there are others on the same site.

RNG

Finally beat Aztec on 00 Agent. Goddamn that’s a hard level. I got blue balled once because I forgot to reprogram the shuttle and had to redo it all over again. 🤦‍♂️

Time for Egypt.

RNG

Finished Egyptian, that was pretty easy as long as you know the Golden Gun room pattern (which I looked up online of course lmao). What a great game. I'd totally buy it if it ever comes out officially one of these days, if ever.

nkarafo

You are gonna get shit for this but it's true. Good at best game that's a blurry 12 fps mess riding off of nostalgia of it's multiplayer.
The game did a lot of things right:

- Mission objectives (non-linear most of the time)
- Use of gadgets felt like a proper Bond game
- Motion capture and animation well beyond what was available in FPS games (only Turok came close)
- Limited stealth mechanics (but stealth mechanics nonetheless)
- Very precise hit-boxes and collision detection of the shots. Even many modern FPS games can't get that right
- First FPS game to have real dual analog support (with a bit gimmicky implementation)
- Insta-kill head shots, body shots, limb-shots, etc. You couldn't do that to other FPS games at the time, even Half-Life felt like a step back in this department
- It even had different animations depending on what part of the body you hit an enemy (which sets it apart from Turok)
- Sniper rifle. Not the first game to use one but probably the first FPS and the implementation was amazing
- Keyboard/mouse controls equivalent by using 1.2 solitaire control scheme (Turok did that first though)

All of that at a time where the most advanced PC FPS game was still Quake 1.

I don't even care about the multiplayer.

Yes, it hasn't age well in some aspects. Frame rate and graphics leave a lot to be desired nowadays. And the AI is still from the late 90's. But saying it's only about "nostalgia" is disingenuous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom