• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The good: Ubi is dropping Starforce. The bad: You might want to sit down.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
MoFuzz said:
I see your correction, and raise you another correction: By the time it hits on March 16, Assy Creed 2 will in fact be 4 months old.

Take that!
And 2 guys will buy it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Agyar said:
Hey PC game maker guys, stop being jackasses and put your games on Steam exclusively instead of doing dumb shit.

lol wut? Why would I just want it on Steam?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
HK-47 said:
lol wut? Why would I just want it on Steam?

I think what he meant to say was something to the effect of using Steam as the method of DRM instead of Starforce/SecuROM/Ubi.com/etc.

I was actually thinking about double-dipping on AC2 after beating the PS3 version just because the PC would still be the superior version. Screw that.

Razor210

Peronthious said:
What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?

If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect. If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.

So, if I get disconnected, wtf is this continue crap?

Fafalada said:
As said above - server-side games have been accepted by much larger masses. Calling it DRM won't change that.

For massively multiplayer games, yes, there's no guarnatees that it'll transition smoothly to all games. There's 30 million gamers that have accepted Steam DRM system, is that not a happy compromise for the time being at least?

Maybe if Ubisoft were planning to offer something tangible from this, server side saving is nice, but its not a big enough carrot.

Brashnir

jaundicejuice said:
Online authentication checks, background DRM software, having to create company specific accounts to tie to my games, limited installs and I'm the paying customer, or used to be. Shit like this combined with the DLC strategies many companies are adopting (pre-order specific content, retail chain specific content, selling missions mid-game or having DLC immediately after launch) drives me away from purchasing PC games.

When people who steal your games and get a better product than paying customers, there's something seriously fucked up with your business model.

yep. It's gotten to the point where attempts to combat piracy actually drive people to pirate, since piracy is easier for the consumer than simply buying the product. It's crap like this that led me to stop gaming on PC entirely a few years back, and I was only lured back by the convenience of Steam. It looks like my stay will be short lived if this is going to be the norm going forward.

It's as if publishers are actively trying to drive away their audience with crap like this.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Razor210 said:
So, if I get disconnected, wtf is this continue crap?
If your internet is down while you play, you may resume at a later point when the internet's back is what it says.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wmat said:
If your internet is down while you play, you may resume at a later point when the internet's back is what it says.
Oh god, I thought it just went into an offline mode based on the phrasing.

Oh god, what the hell is this monstrosity?

Razor210

wmat said:
So this is essentially OnLive, except without cloud computing.

I fear for our future.

epmode

Brashnir said:
It's as if publishers are actively trying to drive away their audience with crap like this.
They're well aware of that. Ubisoft obviously feels that the number of people who would suddenly boycott their games due to this policy is less than the number of additional sales. Not very consumer-friendly but when has that ever mattered?

Benson

So what, they're actively trying to make people pirate their games now? I didn't think DRM could get more stupid. An activation at startup I can live with but this BS about being connected all the time and having to reload a save if your connection drops is the single most stupid thing I've heard in my entire life!

dLMN8R

While Steam has proven to be an extremely successful platform, and has proven to be an extremely viable solution for the biggest blockbuster game of the year (Modern Warfare 2), you guys need to realize:

1) Not every publisher wants to give up entire control of their game to Valve.
2) Impulse, Direct2Drive, and other already refused to carry Modern Warfare 2. Perhaps Ubisoft doesn't want that happening with their games
3) While Steam is "acceptable DRM" for many enthusiasts, that doesn't mean it effectively battles against piracy. Every Steamworks game is quickly and easily cracked, unlike Bioshock which took a month to get cracked, or Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory which took nearly a year

I don't like Ubisoft requiring always-online, but at the same time, it doesn't affect my gaming scenario at all.

And I think people are underestimating the capability of what can be done when an online connection is always required. If Ubisoft is creative enough, this can legitimately hold of piracy for an extremely long time.

It'll be interesting to see what happens on release, that's for sure.

Brashnir

epmode said:
They're well aware of that. Ubisoft obviously feels that the number of people who would suddenly boycott their games due to this policy is less than the number of additional sales. Not very consumer-friendly but when has that ever mattered?

Sudden boycotts aren't the problem. It's the slow erosion of the player base as a result. People don't buy products to be hassled, and if you hassle them long enough, they quit buying. It's generally not a publisher-specific boycott, they just stop being customers in general.

It's something publishers never take into account because it won't affect their numbers this quarter, but the effect is there and it's very real.

I believe that long term, anti-piracy measures have taken a larger toll on PC gaming than piracy has.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is the stupidest DRM I have ever heard of.

At least Steam will go, "hey it looks like you don't have a connection right now, you wanna restart in offline mode?" and I'll be like hell yeah and then I'll play whatever I want that's not online multiplayer.

dLMN8R

Htown said:
This is the stupidest DRM I have ever heard of.

At least Steam will go, "hey it looks like you don't have a connection right now, you wanna restart in offline mode?" and I'll be like hell yeah and then I'll play whatever I want that's not online multiplayer.
Consumer-unfriendly? Unfair? Sure.

Stupid? If Ubisoft pulls it off, not at all.

ok I dont get it, any "hackneyed half brained plan of drm" companies come up with (outside of a master server for huge community games like MMOs or very popular fps's), Will be circumvented. And yes I know you can play on pirate mmo servers and fps servers but well im sure that quality of service rings true with the "get what you pay for" motto...:lol

The pirates wont have to connect using this crap, they will find a way to "emulate" whatever the app is calling to and from, but the paying customer will be out on his ass when the net goes down.

either make your game an MMO, a hugely popular fps (that will still get pirated but will sell fuck millions!, or a huge popular franchise that can still outsell and make money like The Sims, Bethesda stuff, etc).

dLMN8R

ZombieSupaStar said:
ok I dont get it, any hackneyed half brained "plan" of drm companies come up with outside of U NEED TO LOGIN TO OUR MASTER SERVER TO PLAY WITH A ZILLION OTHER PEOPLE, like in WoW, or really popular fps games (yes I know about pirate shards, servers, but still the majority imo play on legit stuff), Will be cicumvented.

the pirates wont have to connect, they will find a way to "emulate" whatever the app is calling to and from, but the paying customer will be out on his ass when the net goes down.
Yet the number of people who mess with shit like spoofed servers has got to be multiple orders of magnitude lower than people who deal with "regular" cracked games.

The article makes it sound like saved games are only stored on the server, not stored locally at all. That means that hackers would have to:

1) Find a way to extract the saved game out of cached memory
2) Find out how to spoof the connection to the server
3) Find out how to interface the retrieved saved game with the spoofed server
4) Find out how to distribute those spoofed servers to people who actually want to play the game

And on and on and on.

I'm sure it'll eventually happen, but not any time soon. Just like Bioshock went for a month without being cracked (and then went on to sell more than a million copies on PC), just like how Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory took more than a year to be cracked, the same could easily hold true with this new system.

Brashnir

ZombieSupaStar said:
The pirates wont have to connect using this crap, they will find a way to "emulate" whatever the app is calling to and from, but the paying customer will be out on his ass when the net goes down.

Pretty much. This will probably teach more people to pirate than it will prevent from pirating.

Yoritomo

brain_stew said:
Nadeo are owned by Ubisoft.

Oh Goddamnit. Not like I didn't eat shit by buying a box copy of Trackmania Sunrise with starforce that somehow locked up my DVD-ROM drive.

I just bought it again on steam anyway. :lol

they lose more sales by doing this. people who actually care about this shit are going to read it and not drop cash on their games. this makes no sense at all.

dLMN8R said:
Yet the number of people who mess with shit like spoofed servers has got to be multiple orders of magnitude lower than people who deal with "regular" cracked games.

The article makes it sound like saved games are only stored on the server, not stored locally at all. That means that hackers would have to:

4) Find out how to distribute those spoofed servers to people who actually want to play the game

And on and on and on.

I'm sure it'll eventually happen, but not any time soon. Just like Bioshock went for a month without being cracked (and then went on to sell more than a million copies on PC), just like how Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory took more than a year to be cracked, the same could easily hold true with this new system.

im saying is the answer to piracy is to create uncopyable value by buying the game legitly, a pirate server on an mmo will not be as good as the public version with 13208912 more people (which is the whole point of an mmo) to most people. same with online fps games, sure you have a few people that get by using the pirate server method, but imo the value of legit buy far outweighs the 20 bux someone saved pirating it.

Vaporak

And just when it was looking like DRM wasn't going to get any stupider. :(
At least Ubi doesn't have a very good PC catalog so they'll be easy to ignore.

dLMN8R said:
1) Not every publisher wants to give up entire control of their game to Valve.
they aren't giving up control over their games any more than using securom gives up control over their games to Sony.

dLMN8R said:
2) Impulse, Direct2Drive, and other already refused to carry Modern Warfare 2. Perhaps Ubisoft doesn't want that happening with their games
A good point, I'm actually against all PC versions of a game using steamworks, I don't like the monopolistic slant it has. But I do think that games sold on steam should use steamworks and/or no additional DRM.

dLMN8R said:
3) While Steam is "acceptable DRM" for many enthusiasts, that doesn't mean it effectively battles against piracy. Every Steamworks game is quickly and easily cracked, unlike Bioshock which took a month to get cracked, or Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory which took nearly a year
This is an incredibly fallacious argument. Bioshock only didn't get cracked right away because it was the very first game to use the new securom server side authentication; so no cracking group had seen it before. Subsequent games have been cracked pre-release, most notably the sims 3, so don't go holding it up as an example of DRM done right. NO drm scheme so far has been "effective" against piracy. Sure, if you want to invent a new DRM for every single game you release, it'll take longer to crack each one, but no company wants to pay for that kind of R&D. Steamworks games are "less" cracked than games using the Bioshock-esque securom since no one but Valve has the keys to decrypt them before release day.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
dLMN8R said:

And on and on and on.
Well, they'll probably implement a workaround along the lines of "write stuff to registers at startup, write registers to file at shutdown". Because that way, all it needs is a general UbiHack which nops the networked savegame stuff and fakes the whole net-awareness thing.

Yeah, it'll take a few weeks, I agree.

Reikon

scotcheggz said:
In fact isn't it an open debate that intrusive DRM actually hurts sales? I know I read about e-books getting more popular after DRM was thrown out, but is it also a possibilty for games or is it just a case of angry people speaking loudly?

There's no proof that removing DRM from e-books helps. That one recent article about sales increasing after removing DRM doesn't account for the fact the rise came in the year e-readers became popular. Correlation != causation.

Vaporak

dLMN8R said:

1) they don't have to, the game does it for them, all they have to do is watch as it happens.
2) No harder than what they've done to take out server authentication for Securom
3) Again, if the game does it all they have to do is watch how it works.
4) don't have to distribute anything, just get rid of the server requirement.

The first principle of DRM that people should be aware of is that you fundamentally can't make a secure system in which you sell decryption devices to the people wanting to crack it. Once you do, all you have is obfuscation, and that only lasts so long in an open operating environment like the PC.

Psy-Phi

They should do this to console gamers too. Afterall, every system is capable of constantly being online. Sounds like a great idea to me, and could stop piracy AND used sales to boot because they'd have to have keys and the like associated to consoles.

I wonder how this all went down in the meetings?

Johnston: A large portion of the PC gaming-base seems to dislike Starforce for some bizarre reason, how can we replace it and still retain control over who can and can't play?

Johnson: I know, lets make a system where they have to connect to our own servers before playing the game! it works for Steam right?

Johnston: Hmmm, Johnson you're on to something. But Steam games still get pirated. So we'll have to go the extra mile and make sure they're always connected to us, from the 20 opening company logos, to the end credits.

Johnson: Won't the gamers hate that more?

Johnston: No, we'll make sure we tell them no more Starforce. They'll be so giddy this will slide right past them.

*grumble*

Tain

Fredescu said:
I was looking forward to Trackmania 2.

ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshito
hshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitoh
shitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohs
hitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohsh
itohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Brashnir said:
protip: Steam doesn't require you to be logged in to play games.

Well thats the way i remember it from when first launched. And even though everyone says Steam has changed and its all good now, there will be a post every month or so about someone who couldnt change it to offline mode while their internet was down. So no thanks.

itxaka

Defeatist
Well, ubisoft already released a scene crack for one of their games, so they won't mind people using other cracks to pass on this bullshit.

Mrbob

Damn, I guess this is how publishers are going to force people to buy console games instead of PC games.

SMH UBI....I am ok with online activation. And normally I am always online but if for some reason the internet is out, I can't even play a single player game? Bullshit.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
brain_stew said:
there's no guarnatees that it'll transition smoothly to all games.
What I've seen in popular online games (both those I've worked on and others) shows a pretty even split between people that play single and multi player modes(when both are available). Actually some cases single player is dominant against what you'd expect based on the game type.
It remains to be seen how new players implement and execute these things, but precedent exists that it can work.

Vaporak said:
The first principle of DRM that people should be aware of is that you fundamentally can't make a secure system
The point is that with online games you don't have to. Portion(or possibly all) of gameplay-content is kept server-side - the only "hack" against that is to replicate the said content.

Mrbob

The good thing about the open nature of the pc platform is there will probably be .exe cracks available shortly after launch.

Oh and this is officially pirates 1 gamers 0. They'll be the ones who won't even pay for the game, and also avoid this authentication.

Thanks for sticking it to the people who actually buy the games UBI.

ShockingAlberto said:
Please don't do this to Splinter Cell, please don't do this to Splinter Cell

yeah, let this skip over Splinter Cell and Far Cry 3. please.

and I would like more retail games that activate with Steam. MW2 and FEAR 2 did that; was cool.

Top Bottom