• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian: "Git gud" is offensive

I just think women would like to just stop being raped at the drop of a hat and black people stop being shot dead for simply existing. Once those issues are corrected maybe we can start nit picking their outrage.

Maybe you could stop being full of shit

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
You just opened Pandora's box you bastard, they'll see it now, the genie's out, we're all fucking doomed, doomed I tell you!
Haha, you funny, assuming that these folks actually read anything intellectual or deep.
Untitled2.png

Them being woke is equal to calling E.L James's ''Grey - Fifty Shades of Grey as told by Christian'' (Which is literally the same fucking story, just with she replaced by he) a master piece of intellect when in reality its pseudo-teen schlock in rehashed form.
exxy4.png
ohhh.png
qNgvRPt.png

zenspider

In a way, there isn't really anything wrong with that.
Different people have different skills. She isn't alone in this.
There are countless people like her.

Gamers have been wishing for/demanding for acceptance of gaming for as long as I can remember, and now that gaming has become so massive that people like this enter our world, the gaming community gets all conservative and trashes them for actually having valid criticism.

"EVERTHING should be the way I WANT it to be." isn't any different from "I DON'T want things to change in a way I DON'T want it to".

Just playing devils advocate here, but honestly speaking, since I'm getting older, I'm leaning more towards her point of view than to that of most other in this topic.

Matter of trying to see things from a different perspective. Would improve gaming as a whole, if people were a bit more rational.

But what's the valid criticism? That people who don't put in the time and effort deserve the same rewards as those that do?

I think her only intetesting point is how games have created a more meaningful and rewarding space for people than a lot of jobs do, but it's not quite clear if it's a crticism of games or the job market, because she just used it as a cheap shot at her projection of gamers.

I'm baffled by the number of people who think this is merely inoffensive.

I'm SHOCKED that she actually is PAID to work in a big outlet like The Guardian. I could take a guess as to how she got it...but the point is, it's actually intolerable that while there are many talented, knowledgable, articulated and smart people who don't get to have these jobs while, an absolute dumb and inexperienced is somehow on the Gardian's payroll to write some pretty offensive stuff if you look at it...wtf

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I'm SHOCKED that she actually is PAID to work in a big outlet like The Guardian. I could take a guess as to how she got it...but the point is, it's actually intolerable that while there are many talented, knowledgable, articulated and smart people who don't get to have these jobs while, an absolute dumb and inexperienced is somehow on the Gardian's payroll to write some pretty offensive stuff if you look at it...wtf

Idiocracy sells.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
There is possibly a middle ground between the (bad and yes entitled sounding) article and (I know you may say it was “banter”) allusion of sexual favours in exchange for a position...
I don’t think they are alluding to sexual favours.

danielberg

Neophyte

The only way you currently survive in the Leftwing climate of speech codes, censorship and internet news is by hiring outrageous people, hell not even former serious news like the nytimes can escape that.
The only thing that gets clicks and people commenting is outrageous crap
Its just stupid right now but i think it will level out over time.

ROMhack

The only way you currently survive in the Leftwing climate of speech codes, censorship and internet news is by hiring outrageous people, hell not even former serious news like the nytimes can escape that.
The only thing that gets clicks and people commenting is outrageous crap
Its just stupid right now but i think it will level out over time.

Personally I don't expect it to level out until things go subscription-based. I think what we're seeing is the same level of low quality that free forms of media have always been known for. The type of content which is driven by advertisements, which in turn is driven by popularity, which in turn is driven by click count, which in turn is driven by the likelihood of people sharing the content, which in turn is driven by attempts to illicit strong emotional reactions (e.g. clickbait/witch-hunting/identity politics).

Now that's arguably always been the case in certain forms of media (e.g. tabloids) but I think we've reached a bit of idiocy when otherwise smart people who wouldn't dream of opening a copy of, say, the Metro or the London Evening Standard and expect to find high-class journalism, now freely open their web browser and do expect to find something of high quality. I probably sound pompous, snooty, condescending or any of the above but I don't really get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom