• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian: "Git gud" is offensive

Woo-Fu

Banned
"Git gud" is supposed to be offensive. You're either saying it to be offensive or you're jokingly saying it to pretend to be offensive to your buddies.

People who don't want to hear it need to avoid competitive modes entirely or you know, "git gud". Even if you are great at a game you're still going to hear it from sore losers, though, so if you can't handle that then turn off public text/voice chat---something you did anyway as an experienced multiplayer gamer, right?

I suppose we should stop keeping score in any game/sport that currently has score, so the people who are playing the game simply to relax won't have to worry about actually exerting themselves. Or you know, they could go play solitaire and stop fucking around in competitive games with their ridiculous attitude.

Last edited:

NickFire

"Git gud" is supposed to be offensive. You're either saying it to be offensive or you're jokingly saying it to pretend to be offensive to your buddies.

People who don't want to hear it need to avoid competitive modes entirely or you know, "git gud". Even if you are great at a game you're still going to hear it from sore losers, though, so if you can't handle that then turn off public text/voice chat---something you did anyway as an experienced multiplayer gamer, right?

I suppose we should stop keeping score in any game/sport that currently has score, so the people who are playing the game simply to relax won't have to worry about actually exerting themselves. Or you know, they could go play solitaire and stop fucking around in competitive games with their ridiculous attitude.
Imagine is people really bought into this attempted indoctrination. I can picture Friday the 13th after each round - You and your friends are dead. No, just kidding. You and your friends need to come to the table for breakfast, Jason made you blueberry pancakes and eggs.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Jesus, these people have nothing but disdain for the blue collar worker. I bet she uses terms like "Fly Over States" and drinks a lot of Peppermint Soy Lattes.

Truth is she is a poor writer for a shitty rag trying to make herself feel more important than the middle class blue collar workers who earn more than her doing work she thinks she is above.

Airola

So it is similar to Bejeweled, not necessarily Columns. That's fair. I've played such a broad variety of puzzle games that it still comes across as a meaningless distinction, though.

I found a nice little blog post from 2006 trying to figure out the history and connections of block puzzles:
https://www.jesperjuul.net/ludologi...f-matching-tile-games-am-i-missing-something/

There's a nice little flowchart added to it:
8XPSbOk.gif

Looks like most block puzzle games come from a mixture of Tetris and Chain Shot, later also known as SameGame. I had known about SameGame but didn't know the concept was created as early as 1985. I would imagine Chain Shot was inspired by Tetris as it was made fairly soon after Tetris, I think.

The Bejeweled concept is closer to Chain Shot than it is to Tetris, and I think Bejeweled was a clear turning point for Tetris / Chain Shot variants and it seems it started to grow new types of games that were based on the Bejeweled concept.

I think the difference between the Bejeweled type of games and Tetris/Columns type of games is perhaps even as big as the difference between Sudoku games and 2048 games where both are logical puzzles based on grid and numbers but play so differently that you couldn't really necessarily recommend a 2048 game to someone who would like to play something like Sudoku and vice versa.

It's like with point & click adventure games. You have your Space Quests and Larrys, but then there are Shadowgate type of games and Hidden Object adventure games. They all share the main genre of being adventures but they all have their own distinct styles that get their own fans.

I think that in the chart by Quantic Foundry the "Match 3" genre means this special genre of Bejeweled type of games and the rest, such as Tetris games would fall in the Casual Puzzles category. I might be wrong though, but at least on Steam it seems like the Bejeweled clones are always referred as Match 3 games but Tetris-clones are referred to simply as Tetris style games. And really, there are TONS of those clones on Steam, just as there are tons of Zuma clones too, and the fan bases aren't necessarily the same but they attract certain people who want to play certain type of games.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This article triggered me and now I need a safe space.

It was also racist and the author is a nazi.

Expect a call from my attorney for hurting my feelings

ROMhack

I just took the time to actually read the whole article, and the core of it to me just seems to fall into the "everything needs to be made to appeal to everyone" line of thinking that I just can't agree with.

Her problem doesn't seem to be as much the git gud messages as it is the concept that some games requiere you to invest time into getting better to overcome some obstacles. And then she goes into some condescending remarks about mostly negative reasons why people might find the challenge in games to be fun.

The thing is, there are games for her. There's a whole genre (kinda) of narrative heavy games with basic gameplay where there's little to no skillbased challenge involved, and there's also plenty of games that offer a "I just want to see the story option" which also makes them extremely easy. But instead of finding and playing the games that match up with her taste she seems to play the ones that don't and then complain about it.

Although ultimately, it just sounds like she wants to watch a movie

Yeah, I thought the article was going to be about people actually being obnoxious to her but it doesn't sound like it.

Last edited:

Raven117

25% engagement with "survival roguelike" also seems like an indication that it isn't the challenge itself that may put women off but the source of the challenge. If the challenge comes from an unthinking CPU opponent (which is the case in all the top genres except MMO listed by Quantic Foundry) then it seems to be "okay", but if a game incorporates a competitive multiplayer focus it seems that women engage with those genres less frequently.

I don't know if the topic warrants a whole thread, but if you have more thoughts please share. Post up a standalone thread if you think it would be better.
If we had more data, then it would probably warrant its own thread. Your suggestion takes us back to whether is it really challenge or the "toxic" communities of many online pvp type games. Then that gets into an even deeper discussion of whether men or women prefer competitive games (like against another human).

That said, well observed on the "source" of challenge. You might be on to something there.

Last edited:

Raven117

Dude(tte), go and reread what I posted before and then maybe take a look at my edit of the OP. I think to have made it quite clear that I intent to discuss the merit of the article itself and not the author.

What are you on about? I gave you an answer, twice. No need to have us run around in circles, we got you the first time.

Yeah, hop into the philosophy topic or take a look at my post history. I'm sure you'll find that I'm very well capable of having a meaningful discussion. I see no reason why I should engage with an article on a deeper level that is clearly intended as clickbait, that would be elevating that article to something it doesn't deserve. I don't vilify whole demographics like that and neither should a journalist that's being paid to write for the Guardian.

You agreed with me that the article is trash, yet here you are trying to argue with me for exposing it as such. Criticizing the clickbaity nature of an article is not the same as giving in to clickbait. I'm certainly not going to be afraid of speaking my mind because people like you might deem it problematic. I read the Guardian article, had some time to spare and created a topic. Nothing more, nothing less. Deal with it.

Your patronizing attitude is based on a preconception of me as a person that's just way out there. I did not make baseless assumptions about you, so how about you return the favor and cut it with the ad hominems. DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi tried to foster the meaningful debate that you so desire, but instead of expanding on what he said you keep harking on about how the tone of my OP is not to your liking.

And yes, you're right, I don't react kindly to bullsh*t articles that blindly vilify whole demographics for the personal gain of the author. I think to have sufficiently demonstrated why the content of the article in question is utter and complete insanity. So how about you take it up with the author who formulated this needlessly vitriolic smear attempt in the first place?

If you seek to discuss the competitive and/or challenging nature of the gaming community, I'm all ears and happy to oblige. Until then, don't expect another reply from my part.
Take it easy killer, we will get through this.

A.Romero

After reading the article I understood that she is not playing competitive games online, she is playing on her own. Sometimes she gets stuck and looks for a guide online and while accessing those resources she sees people saying (to other people) git gud.

So she is offended not by someone trying to insult her but by people saying that to other people.

Ludicrous.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This article triggered me and now I need a safe space.

It was also racist and the author is a nazi.

Expect a call from my attorney for hurting my feelings
She legit insulted a lot American workers while building herself up to be some high brow hyper competitive super millennial.... Screw her point if she is going to talk down to people.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Since I took the time to actually read the article, I still don't get how people completely miss the point she's making.

Gaming can be a way to escape reality and just relax.
I think we all have that sometimes, just turning on your console or pc and just casually wanting to play some games without feeling any pressure to "git gud" and give it your all, but to just soak in the experience.

So, like I posted earlier, something like the "Gimme a story" modes of Horizon Zero Dawn or TLOU Remastered.
There are lots of people out there looking for escapism instead of a constant need of improvement, who at the same time want to enjoy the same games everybody else is enjoying.

Really amazed to see how narrow-minded and quick to jump the gun people are in here.
Especially since she didn't offend anyone with her article.

The woman made a valid point and devs like Guerrilla Games and Naughy Dog are aware of people who just want to relax and escape our stressfull reality.
It really wouldn't hurt if more devs would do the same.

Calibos

Finally got around to reading this...All I can really say is:

giphy.gif

Really, just stop it all people like this writer.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
imo she sounds depressed, self-hating, and is projecting a lot, talking about how meaningless work is. she is unhappy and writing in a field for which she has no joy in celebrating the work of. maybe she should try writing for something else? honestly this is some self serving medicine induced naval gazing bullshit. she keeps talking about jobs. maybe she should get a real fucking job instead of being paid to whine about video games.

when Dark Souls became a surprise hit and they started porting to the west in earnest, they leaned on pushing the difficulty in marketing. in some ways this was to it's detriment, that stereotype of the series as a punishingly cruel and difficult/walled-off franchise has kept a lot of people from discovering a game they would probably really like and find refreshing and - most of all - be able to complete and "git gud" at all on their own.

echo chamber outrage drum beatings like this don't help the issue at all. mostly i see "git gud" used as a joke, or thrown back at someone who is complaining that the game is bad or poorly made or lazy devs, because they are having initial difficulty with the games. in truth anyone can play the game, anyone can complete the game, you can do so without taking damage even. the difficulty thing is overrated, people that take it this seriously need to get a grip.

Last edited:
Not sure if I am comprehending. Unless I misunderstood, why would you not want to be good at a particular hobby if you supposedly enjoy it? Whether I am drawing, playing music, sports, skateboarding, working, playing video games, etc I would want to be really proficient at it no matter what.

BANGS

Banned
Not sure if I am comprehending. Unless I misunderstood, why would you not want to be good at a particular hobby if you supposedly enjoy it? Whether I am drawing, playing music, sports, skateboarding, working, playing video games, etc I would want to be really proficient at it no matter what.
That's a good point! Why should I get good at skateboarding in order to perform a kickflip? Why are the white supremacists rolling my ankles?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I just took the time to actually read the whole article, and the core of it to me just seems to fall into the "everything needs to be made to appeal to everyone" line of thinking that I just can't agree with.

Her problem doesn't seem to be as much the git gud messages as it is the concept that some games requiere you to invest time into getting better to overcome some obstacles. And then she goes into some condescending remarks about mostly negative reasons why people might find the challenge in games to be fun.

The thing is, there are games for her. There's a whole genre (kinda) of narrative heavy games with basic gameplay where there's little to no skillbased challenge involved, and there's also plenty of games that offer a "I just want to see the story option" which also makes them extremely easy. But instead of finding and playing the games that match up with her taste she seems to play the ones that don't and then complain about it.

Although ultimately, it just sounds like she wants to watch a movie
I’m sure she is aware that there are plenty of games in existence already that suit her special needs. But, just like a lot of this type of modern snowflake, she wants ALL games to be what she wants.

“EVERYTHING should be the way I WANT it to be.”

The entitled generation.

desertdroog

"Git gud" had more gravitas when all you had were quarter crunching arcade machines in the era of the Atari, Intellivision and Colecovison.

Today's kids are so soft.

/Yells at cloud proudly.

Psykodad

Banned
I’m sure she is aware that there are plenty of games in existence already that suit her special needs. But, just like a lot of this type of modern snowflake, she wants ALL games to be what she wants.

“EVERYTHING should be the way I WANT it to be.”

The entitled generation.
In a way, there isn't really anything wrong with that.
Different people have different skills. She isn't alone in this.
There are countless people like her.

Gamers have been wishing for/demanding for acceptance of gaming for as long as I can remember, and now that gaming has become so massive that people like this enter our world, the gaming community gets all conservative and trashes them for actually having valid criticism.

"EVERTHING should be the way I WANT it to be." isn't any different from "I DON'T want things to change in a way I DON'T want it to".

Just playing devils advocate here, but honestly speaking, since I'm getting older, I'm leaning more towards her point of view than to that of most other in this topic.

Matter of trying to see things from a different perspective. Would improve gaming as a whole, if people were a bit more rational.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Really amazed to see how narrow-minded and quick to jump the gun people are in here.

I read the whole thing too. It's garbage. Her headline is "I don’t want to get good at gaming, I want to escape the relentless pressure to improve myself".

She doesn't have to be better at games, and no one is asking her to be (or if they are, she didn't include any mention of it in the article itself)
She provides no examples of actually being pressured by anyone (remember the headline - relentless pressure), other than an anecdote about how when crawling google for game hints, she often sees people respond on message boards, to others, that they should get good. Also, a link to a new yorker article about self-help culture and the desire to improve oneself.

Her entire ordeal here is bullshit.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
In a way, there isn't really anything wrong with that.
Different people have different skills. She isn't alone in this.
There are countless people like her.

Gamers have been wishing for/demanding for acceptance of gaming for as long as I can remember, and now that gaming has become so massive that people like this enter our world, the gaming community gets all conservative and trashes them for actually having valid criticism.

"EVERTHING should be the way I WANT it to be." isn't any different from "I DON'T want things to change in a way I DON'T want it to".

Just playing devils advocate here, but honestly speaking, since I'm getting older, I'm leaning more towards her point of view than to that of most other in this topic.

Matter of trying to see things from a different perspective. Would improve gaming as a whole, if people were a bit more rational.
I’m completely rational.

There is nothing wrong with diversity. Wanting everything to suit only your own tastes is not how the world works and is simply unintelligent and lazy.

You are not a wise old sage with a better perspective. We are all getting older mate, lol.

Psykodad

Banned
I read the whole thing too. It's garbage. Her headline is "I don’t want to get good at gaming, I want to escape the relentless pressure to improve myself".

She doesn't have to be better at games, and no one is asking her to be (or if they are, she didn't include any mention of it in the article itself)
She provides no examples of actually being pressured by anyone (remember the headline - relentless pressure), other than an anecdote about how when crawling google for game hints, she often sees people respond on message boards, to others, that they should get good. Also, a link to a new yorker article about self-help culture and the desire to improve oneself.

Her entire ordeal here is bullshit.

Escapism, dude. That's the key-word. Escapism.

This whole topic reads like relationship counseling, where both parties refuse to see things from the others' perspective, while both have a valid point.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I’m completely rational.

There is nothing wrong with diversity. Wanting everything to suit only your own tastes is not how the world works and is simply unintelligent and lazy.

You are not a wise old sage with a better perspective. We are all getting older mate, lol.
I don't think I'm a wise old sage, I'm just saying she has a point but people are too busy pointing fingers. ;)

Lightsbane

In a way, I kinda feel bad for her.

I can tell she got Gascoigne'd, and that kept her from enjoying one of the best games ever made. It's so obvious.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I don't think I'm a wise old sage, I'm just saying she has a point but people are too busy pointing fingers. ;)
There are plenty of people who think her “point” is ridiculous and a prime example of the idiocy of modern society.

Nymphae

Banned

This whole topic reads like relation-ship counseling, where both parties refuse to see things from the others' perspective, while both have a valid point.

She is fully able to play videogames poorly for escapism, and I would argue that there is no relentless societal pressure to be better at videogames. Or anything.

This whole topic reads like relationship counseling, where both parties refuse to see things from the others' perspective, while both have a valid point.
Escapism doesn't necessarily exclude challenge. Do you agree with her stance that challenge interferes with escapism?

Psykodad

Banned
Escapism doesn't necessarily exclude challenge. Do you agree with her stance that challenge interferes with escapism?
In her case, yes.
But not necessarily, no.

That why I used HZD as an example.
They added a "story mode" for people. like her, and a "hard/very hard mode" for people like you.

I don't see how this hurts anyone in any way? If anything, everybody wins.
She is just a messenger. You don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Had she gamed in previous decades she'd face the dilemma of struggling with command lines in computers, paying a fortune in gaming hardware and software or visiting arcades full of cigarette smoke and grime
She should feel lucky.

I agree that she made some good points but they were all lost in her insults and attempts at wit. There are also plenty of games out there you can play without gitting gud. In fact I have a folder on my PS4 called "Safe Space" which is full of mindless games I can play when I am too stressed out for a real challenge.

In her case, yes.
But not necessarily, no.

That why I used HZD as an example.
They added a "story mode" for people. like her, and a "hard/very hard mode" for people like you.

I don't see how this hurts anyone inbl any way? If anything, everybody wins.
She is just a messenger. You don't shoot the messenger.
You are putting more effort into her argument than she did. That's commendable, but please don't pretend like the rest of us "aren't getting it" while you play contrarian.

The argument so far is not that one might be "hurt" by easier modes, nor do I believe this is a matter of "shooting the messenger" (which would only be the case if she's merely delivering the message of a deeper inherent truth, which she isn't). You've misunderstood both her article and this thread if that is the conclusion you drew.

I enjoy video games but I’m not good at playing them. I lack a certain gamers’ intuition – is this wall going to be breakable? Which path is the game trying to lead me down?
Nothing wrong here. I can empathize with her. There are gamers across a broad spectrum of skill levels.

But what bothers her? What is the first issue she raises? Is it that games are difficult? No. It is that there are no games available for her to play? No. Is her message that the videogame market should make games for a broader range of skills? No.

there have invariably been people trying to get out of the same tricky spot. The other invariable part is that one person, and often many, will reply to the asker, “Just get good!!! Git gud!!!”

This basically means “try harder you lazy piece of shit”
So her first complaint is multifaceted: she hates looking for advice and seeing the answer "git gud", because she takes that to mean that she is a "lazy piece of shit". She makes a characterization with no further argument. At this point of the article, we must ask ourselves if we agree with her definition. Do you? I don't. Yet, onwards we go.

or, if you’re reading it very generously, “You can do it mate, keep pouring hours of your finite existence on this earth into achieving the millisecond-perfect muscle twitch reaction that will enable you to beat this cartoon nemesis that looks like a cross between a bed bug and a rum ball.”
So, even reading it "generously", she misrepresents high-skill play while making fun of videogame medium itself. Who, after all, would want to test their skill against something as stupid as a cartoon nemesis? That's her argument. Who, after all, wants to play videogames like a "job"? That's her argument.

Rather than acknowledging the real-life deficits in meaning and achievement that make the “productive” approach to gaming such an enticing prospect, some gamers project this sense of shame on to people who aren’t as good at gaming as they are.
Who is that directed at? Is that directed at a lack of easy games? No, it's aimed at people who "offer advice on the internet". That's the target of the article and the source of her angst.

No need to go on. The rest of the article only gets worse from there. Something completely missing, though, is any whisper of the idea that the game market itself doesn't have enough easy games, or that we should embrace players with lesser skill, or that she's "just a messenger" for some higher utopian ideal that you seem to have conjured out of nowhere in particular.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This what confuses me, If she doesn't like to "get good at games" then thats pretty much tells me that she doesn't like the entire act of playing video games.

royox

The Guardian: 'Git Gud' is offensive!

From Software:

I literally dropped DeS the first time I reached this.

I didn't know you could move faster based on your gear and I was slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

After DS1 replayed it and my gosh it was damn easy.

Petrae

“Git gud” is a fucking trash response and is part of what makes the Soulsbourne community so insufferable. I know it’s a shock to these people that some people just can’t play these games well or that they can be extremely frustrating, so the best advice they often offer is this condescending bullshit.

Did the author have to write an article about it? Nah. It’s the problem with gaming press and the demands of not only the 24-hour news cycle— but also the need to divide readers so that more hits and more engagement are created. “Git gud” is not “offensive”. It’s fucking stupid. Full stop.

That said, I do agree with some of the message.

Unlike the author, I simply don’t choose to waste my time with overly difficult games. There’s a ton of choices out there and only so much free time to play them.

I play games on Easy, and I don’t regret it. If a game doesn’t give me the option to play on Easy, I don’t buy it. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I don’t get satisfaction by trying to beat games on harder difficulty settings and getting frustrated while doing it. My reflexes at my age aren’t what they were 25 years ago. I play games for fun, and yes... I play them casually to glide through them.

I’m not going to give devs hell if they don’t have an Easy option. It’s their game to make. They’re just not going to get any of my money or playing time.

Nymphae

Banned
The article is kind of funny to me too in the sense that gamers have been complaining about the dumbing down of their medium for years now. The majority of games that a person like the author would play (a self admitted poor player who just wants to have some fun), have sufficiently easy modes. She doesn't even give any examples of games she plays.

She does say this at one point
If someone wants to buy Mario Kart and set it up so that they get to sit there and watch the car drive itself, who cares?

I mean, I don't, but at that point, that activity no longer sounds like playing a videogame for fun, it sounds more like watching a cartoon racing program. Or watching another person engage with the thing you are ostensibly interested in.

Kadayi

Banned
In all seriousness, the article writer hasn't realised the secret to good gaming, namely not to force it. It's an interactive medium and therefore it requires actual focus. If you're tired after a long days work, you're better off to pass on gaming, chill with TV, a film or a book and get an early night and then play the following day when you're refreshed. To butcher the bard 'Perhaps the fault dear Eleanor lies not in the games but in ourselves'

Last edited:

Moneal

The article is kind of funny to me too in the sense that gamers have been complaining about the dumbing down of their medium for years now. The majority of games that a person like the author would play (a self admitted poor player who just wants to have some fun), have sufficiently easy modes. She doesn't even give any examples of games she plays.

She does say this at one point

I mean, I don't, but at that point, that activity no longer sounds like playing a videogame for fun, it sounds more like watching a cartoon racing program. Or watching another person engage with the thing you are ostensibly interested in.
thats why I said earlier that it would be better for her time and money if she just went to twitch or youtube to watch vids.

Arkage

Banned
Over at The Guardian, a resident intersectional feminist writer is offended by the notion that she needs to improve on her skills in order to beat certain games. The whole article is peppered with hyperbolic conjectures, making it seem as if the author is merely venting her frustration over her own poor life choices by having a go at the gaming community.

If you don't want to become better at something that you enjoy, then maybe you're not really enjoying it in the first place. I get the impression that she might not be talking about games, but her own job. At least it would explain why that article is such an entertaining trainwreck of incoherent ramblings.

'Scuse me princess, your hyper-competitive millennial life? Man, I never knew that writing smug inflammatory bullcrap while sipping on your caffè macchiato in front of your laptop would be such a burden. Them poor millenials are really having it tough compared to all the generations before.

Yeah because quite evidently, all gamers are mere scrubs working low-grade jobs that have nothing meaningful to offer.

Take that Truck Simulator players, you ain't got nothing on my shitty blogger lifestyle! Your work is meaningless, but I, I produce meaning!

I guess that's what it feels like writing low-grade clickbait for the gaming section of The Guardian.

EDIT: Since I prefer to discuss the merits of this article alone instead of opening another can of worms about intersectional feminism, please disregard both terms used above. It was unwise of me to mix them up with the issue at hand.

Good on you for the edit but for what it’s worth the intersection feminist jab made me laugh.

I really don’t get her point. Git gud is really only used for difficult tasks/games to begin with. There are plenty of other games that aren’t difficult and aren’t about competition or getting gud. Hell walking simulator/arty games are more in style now then ever before.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
In all seriousness, the article writer hasn't realised the secret to good gaming, namely not to force it. It's an interactive medium and therefore it requires actual focus. If you're tired after a long days work, you're better off to pass on gaming, chill with TV, a film or a book and get an early night and then play the following day when you're refreshed. To butcher the bard 'Perhaps the fault dear Eleanor lies not in the games but in ourselves'
Exactly. Many, many times in my life I have gotten home from work and realised I am too physically and/or mentally exhausted to have a session of my latest epic game. So, I find something else to do or a simpler game to play, of which there are tons.

It’s common sense. A human trait that is increasingly lacking in contemporary society.

Maybe she should just stick to Leapfrog.

Or is that competitive too?
Your suggestion would be too much work.
She specifically says "I want to escape the relentless pressure to improve myself"

But it's worth a try. Maybe her next article will be about how she walked past a daycare and heard one LeapFrog user scold the other "No! You have to get better at math".

Kadayi

Banned
Exactly. Many, many times in my life I have gotten home from work and realised I am too physically and/or mentally exhausted to have a session of my latest epic game. So, I find something else to do or a simpler game to play, of which there are tons.

It’s common sense. A human trait that is increasingly lacking in contemporary society.

Indeed. I think a lot of people get caught up in the zeitgeist or feel burdened by their backlog, but you've gotta learn to assess what your state is and then determine whether you're good to go. I'll often hit a game hard for a few weeks when I'm enthused, but then notice the fatigue set in, so I'll generally switch over to something else until my mojo is restored.

I know plenty of people think that. And I'm not saying they're wrong. But neither is she.

It's not about who is wrong and who is right. The problem is the way how she decided to frame the issue. If you need to put other people down and belittle their work or hobbies in order to bring your point across, you automatically forfeit whatever merit your argument might have in the first place.

Good on you for the edit but for what it’s worth the intersection feminist jab made me laugh.

It's the kind of vitriolic entitlement you've grown to expect from them, yes.

If you're tired after a long days work, you're better off to pass on gaming, chill with TV, a film or a book and get an early night and then play the following day when you're refreshed. To butcher the bard 'Perhaps the fault dear Eleanor lies not in the games but in ourselves'

Indeed, there are games for every occasion but sometimes you're just too tired after a long day of work to fire up a game even if you want to. I've recently bought the new Assassin's Creed because I wanted to dive into ancient Greece. But at the moment I find myself way too tired in the evening to actually play it. It's fine though, once things have settled down again, I'll make sure to pay good ol' Attika a visit.

In the meantime I'll just keep myself busy with something else that's more suitable to my current state of mind. Like rambling against inane articles on the internet :messenger_winking:

Airola

“Git gud” is a fucking trash response and is part of what makes the Soulsbourne community so insufferable. I know it’s a shock to these people that some people just can’t play these games well or that they can be extremely frustrating, so the best advice they often offer is this condescending bullshit.

Why do you think it's condescending?
Isn't it just a humorous way to both say the truth of the situation and the idea of the game in two words?
Why do you feel it's condescending towards you to say you should practice and get better playing the game if you wish to get further in it?
Why that is frustrating?

Personally I appreciate the existence of the Souls games a lot. I really love the idea of them.

I, however, don't like to play them at all mainly because I dislike those game mechanics and I am both not good enough to play with those mechanics and not interested in the mechanics enough to practice playing them. It's why I don't like games like the Batman Arkham series or God of War or many other combat based action games either. It doesn't have anything to do with the difficulty made by game design but just the fact that I don't like many 3rd person action games (I don't like many 1st person action games either). But I understand the point of the game and I understand that if I would want to play the game and get further I should get better playing it. I don't think it's condescending to reply with a meme especially because I think in this particular situation the meme fits to the games amazingly well and the meme actually tells a lot about the game itself. It's rare that a meme actually goes that deep in the core of what the meme is connected to.

Unlike the author, I simply don’t choose to waste my time with overly difficult games.

Why do you think it's a waste of your time to play difficult games?
Do you think playing a game that is so hard you can't advance much is wasting your time? Why?

I mean, wouldn't it be better if we could just appreciate the time we use to try to proceed in a game even if we don't end up proceeding much? Isn't it a bit of a burden to have a mindset that if one can't proceed to the end of the game then one's time is wasted?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Indeed. I think a lot of people get caught up in the zeitgeist or feel burdened by their backlog, but you've gotta learn to assess what your state is and then determine whether you're good to go. I'll often hit a game hard for a few weeks when I'm enthused, but then notice the fatigue set in, so I'll generally switch over to something else until my mojo is restored.
It is almost as if the writer of this article wants to be a part of the gamer culture (because it’s trendy atm), but doesn’t actually like gaming. So, she would rather brute force it.

Imagine someone wanted to be a part of the scientific academia scene, but didn’t want to put in the work to learn you know, science. Nah, they should just dumb it down so she can be included.

Hilarious when you think about it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the comment is toxic af
just like the community.

it's like gearscore in wow.
it turned the game into shit during frozen throne.

just a bunch of toxic nerds thinking they are so super duper pro.
if git gud is all you can give as advice.
newcomers wil just git lost.
and play something else,
so you can bath in your elitism.

i don't care that much tho way too many games to play these days to even care about fucking redoing trial and error shit like the souls games.
to boost my ego that i can finish a "videogame" and some people can't

Last edited:
Top Bottom