• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

No news on the December bomba?

Isn't it usually at Shizouka that we hear about it?

Pretty underwhelmed if this is it for announcements.

Beth Cyra

No news on the December bomba?

Isn't it usually at Shizouka that we hear about it?

Pretty underwhelmed if this is it for announcements.

Nah, we've had a few years that we didn't.

And there is almost no chance we have a Bomb like we did last year unless its a recolor and release of Banshee as a PG.

If it's an MG and not a major one like a Xi Ver Ka we will probably hear about it Sept/Oct.

And there is almost no chance we have a Bomb like we did last year unless its a recolor and release of Banshee as a PG.

If it's an MG and not a major one like a Xi Ver Ka we will probably hear about it Sept/Oct.

I can still dream! A PG Sinanju with the gold trim actually molded!

If ever. The last PG that wasn't a Gundam is still the Zaku II. From 1999.

Sure, but there isn't a single soul on earth that doesn't love the Sinanju. That has to account for something in the considerations for which suit to make into a PG.

I'm less concerned over it being an antagonist suit and more about the fact that it would be the biggest suit in the PG line.

Shun

IMG_0362.jpg

Strike Rouge Ootori in and ready.

Unicorn Ver Ka. Titanium Finish is still up for grabs if anyone's interested.

yami4ct

Yeah, I definitely think we won't see a PG this year, even a Banshee. I'm fairly certain Banshee will end up as a P.Bandai exclusive. Best case scenario, Banshee is regular release and Norn parts are P.Bandai. I really want a PG Sinanju as well, but the odds aren't in it's favor. It has a slight advantage of being the suit of a Char, and being really popular, so it's not likely at all. We can all hope, though.

As for the Dec MG, I think you're on the right track. It'll definitely be one of the new generation Ver. Ka. Xi is a good guess, but I could also see V2 Assault Buster or one of the GP Gundams.

Worst case scenario, Bandai will drop G-Self as the big December release and expect us to be really happy. I want a G-Self MG pretty badly, but it certainly isn't December quality.

Shun

Taking a break from my RGs due to how frustrating it was trying to kit bash and custom the models. Gonna continue it in a few weeks when I have access to paint.

Right now Cal finals are almost done so I'm working the Strike Rouge right now.

Just finished the body unit and this MG is so ace. Much more fun and less restrictive than the RGs at the moment. The build is also not as tedious as the MG Hi-v from 2007. If only RGs had a legitimate frame than the premade one we get...

IMG_0363.jpg

Color separation is great. I love the two tone grey, the black pops out and the wine red and rose pink go great together. The white is such a faint tint of pink, it compliments the entire color scheme very well. Comes with a lot of nice decals but there are A LOT of foil stickers.. That's the only complaint I have so far, but I can just paint that later.

I know I said that I wasn't planning on painting and just top coating, but after building so far I really want to paint the details at the very least. I have no confidence in getting that beautiful pink-tinted white with my paint blends though.

Extremely excited to paint soon and go through my backlog.

Wubby

Didn't think they would start diving into kits from the Build Fighters A comic. Wish they weren't P-Bandai exclusives though.

**Everything below is P-Bandai exclusive (edit, except one maybe)**

HGBF Cathedral Gundam
HGBF Hi Nu Influx (Edit: just noticed the display tag doesn't list P-bandai so maybe a regular release for this one)

HGBF Drion III

HGUC Jegan Type A2

A few MG's too

MG GM Cannon

MG Heavy Gundam

Didn't think they would start diving into kits from the Build Fighters A comic. Wish they weren't P-Bandai exclusives though.

**Everything below is P-Bandai exclusive (edit, except one maybe)**

HGBF Cathedral Gundam

HGBF Hi Nu Influx (Edit: just noticed the display tag doesn't list P-bandai so maybe a regular release for this one)

HGBF Drion III
Hi-Nu Vrabe and Wing Honoo must have been selling well then. Drion III looks awesome.

Wubby

Hi-Nu Vrabe and Wing Honoo must have been selling well then. Drion III looks awesome.

You know I was thinking about this the other day. I have not seen a Wing Honoo kit on the shelf at any of the stores I frequent in some time. I see the Vrabe around still here and there. Lightnings are pretty thin on the shelves too.

yami4ct

So many P-Bandai exclusives. I would have been pissed about that, but the decent middlemen services are now picking them up so I guess I'm not too worried. It's still a tad more expensive, and not ideal, but at least you're no longer paying 2x regular retail for an exclusive.

I really wish Bandai would open up a Web Shop and Parts Store for the west. They've already been exploring it with their Tamashii stuff, but they really haven' t put much on it yet. Give me a chance to order exclusives direct from the source, and I'll probably end up ordering way more of them.

Beth Cyra

Drion looks great. Don't quite get the love for Cathedral, but it does look better then he Hi Nu.

I'm kinda surprised that Cathedral didn't get a release after the launched Zero Honoo.

Beth Cyra

Not a big fan of the Drion, it's too back for me.
That's what I love about it. Most major Super Robots get black versions and U.S. Fans tend to love them. This actually feels like they are playing up that Super angle even more for us SR collectors.

NEO0MJ

Personally I'm not a big fan of black recolors, though I used to be when I first started collecting stuff. Of course most were too expensive for me :p

Only one I like now is Black Getter and that's because it's more than a simple recolor and actually has a role in the plot instead of being a limited item.

Beth Cyra

I like a few. Black Getter Dragon, Grendizer, Shading Gundam, Black Wing Zero, and nemesis Prime.

Plus with Drion I actually dislike a lot of the Trion changed from Tri Zeta so this almost balances it out for me.

Beth Cyra

Well it's largely the colors. I'm find Trion 3 to be far to overloaded with Blue, the head and arms is just to much.

That said I hate Drion and Trion 3 for using the stupid bird claws and ditching the Roman crusader crests on the knees.

I love the Trion but I like super robots in general so no surprise. The metal build looks great as well, though I really do wish it was a bigger kit like a MG or something. That said I'm not crazy enough to assume they ever would.

1/144 ain't enough for me.

Beth Cyra

I love the Trion but I like super robots in general so no surprise. The metal build looks great as well, though I really do wish it was a bigger kit like a MG or something. That said I'm not crazy enough to assume they ever would.

1/144 ain't enough for me.
Metal builds are the same scale as an MG at 1/100.

Did you the chrome finish Trion you showed in the pic?

Or where you meaning the Amatsu Mina?

Metal builds are the same scale as an MG at 1/100.

Did you the chrome finish Trion you showed in the pic?

Or where you meaning the Amatsu Mina?

They announced the other week they are doing a limited giveaway of a metallic coated Tryon 3 kit. 500 lucky people only, it's the same scale as the HG that was released/will be. Looks great but, I guess that makes it not a real metal build

Looks exactly how I would want it too without the extra work :( very much how they portrayed it in the show during close ups.

20150513162929-89783.jpg

Also comes with a gundam TCG card which I 100% don't recommend cause its like $5 a pack, and only has 3 cards in each. And card games are usually half the price they are in NA/EU compared to Japan.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, I knew about the coated Trion 3. Your original post said Metal build which its own line so I got confused and wondered if you where talking about the Mina they showed as well.

Wubby

I'm at The Shizuoka show now and can confirm that the Hi Nu Influx is P-Bandai exclusive.

There's also a sign above the Build Fighters section that says 'Build Fighters is to be continued!' Whether thats just referring to the OVAs that are coming or a third season it doesn't say though.

Also finally got to meet Kawaguchi-san! I took a picture with him but look like a total dork haha.

Beth Cyra

That's awesome.

If you look at the MG Wing F R, can you take a close look at the face? The Anime it looked okay, but it didn't translate well to model form in the HG and I just can't get a good feel for the MG in the pictures.

PhiLonius

For anyone here, has buying and building a kit ever made you do a 180 on a suit/suit design?

Maybe you liked it before but after putting it together you don't like it as much, dislike it, or vice versa?

NEO0MJ

For anyone here, has buying and building a kit ever made you do a 180 on a suit/suit design?

Maybe you liked it before but after putting it together you don't like it as much, dislike it, or vice versa?

I'd have to actually like a design before even considering buying a kit! Now as to whether a kit made me hate a suit, I don't think that even happened. If anything I love them more. Though I never suffered from any bad kits.

Beth Cyra

I've never started liking the design, but it's made me respect it and glad I spent the money, but it doesn't change if I find it astheically pleasing.

Turn A
OOq
Age 2 Normal
Exia RG

Are all suits where it's happened

As far as dislikes, that hasn't happened exactly but Wing Gundam Zero EW combo' with Wing EW and Proto Zero really drove home that I love Zero EW as a model, and for posing but just don't like it as a weapon of mass destruction.

Acid08

Banned

I don't tend to buy kits of suits I don't already at least like. Like I'd never buy a 00 kit just to build it as I don't like those suits and would rather spend the money on a kit I actually want.

The F91 was actually a case of where I thought the suit was super cool in the movie but building the MG made me fall in love with everything about it.

Wubby

Mommy, where do baby Unicorns come from?

jjlL8OqiFA91R.jpg

Oh....

That's awesome.

If you look at the MG Wing F R, can you take a close look at the face? The Anime it looked okay, but it didn't translate well to model form in the HG and I just can't get a good feel for the MG in the pictures.

Sorry I was back by the time I saw your post. I took a pic of the kit not sure how well it captured the face though. I'll have a look later after I get home from work.

Does anyone expect a full Gundam the Origin anime after or even before the Char storyline finishes? I recently read a Forbes article talking about how the Origin manga was the New York Time's best selling manga for a while. Considering the poor sales of Reconguista, does anyone thinking going back to the original storyline might actually revive the franchise's popularity?

yami4ct

Does anyone expect a full Gundam the Origin anime after or even before the Char storyline finishes? I recently read a Forbes article talking about how the Origin manga was the New York Time's best selling manga for a while. Considering the poor sales of Reconguista, does anyone thinking going back to the original storyline might actually revive the franchise's popularity?

I think Sunrise is deliberately taking it slow. If it's a runaway success like Unicorn, they'll be left in a perfect place to adapt the rest given where the Char flashback arc ends. If not, they have a story still complete in its own right.

I hope they continue it, because The Origin manga is amazing. It's the fixup 0079 needs and deserves. I honestly am not a huge fan of what moving the Char flashback to the beginning would do to the pacing of the whole series (I love how it cuts in in the manga), but I understand why they'd do it.

yami4ct

Are there any differences in the plot/events between the original and the origin?

Totally. While the broad strokes are the same, the specific events are far more tuned and edited to give the series massively better pacing. For instance, the majority of the stuff on earth is completely different from the original. It helps get away from the whole "White Base wandering in the desert for ages" thing 0079 has going on. Overall, it's a massively better experience than 0079 ever was. There's also a lot of different little edits going on. The mechanical history of the One Year war has been shifted, with the Guntank and Guncannon being prototype suits instead of created alongside the gundam. Makes their position in the story make much more sense. It also heavily focuses on checking in with the Zeon side, making the conflict actually feel like shades of grey and 2-sided instead of pure Good vs Evil.

Looks like Right Stuff shipped out my Turn A part 1 set.
I would assume a more modern retelling would help since modern anime fans might not tolerate the dated animation and disco soundtrack of the original. If that takes off they should animate Beltorchika's Children as well.

NEO0MJ

Slowly getting there with my Byarlant. 80% complete, but 100% battle capable!

17862350882_f97ecb9ae7_z.jpg

Totally. While the broad strokes are the same, the specific events are far more tuned and edited to give the series massively better pacing.

I see. Thanks. Hope it gets animated, then. Did any of the subsequent parts of UC get similar treatment?

Wubby

That's awesome.

I finally looked at the pic I took of it. The way they had it posed at the show the face was kind of facing down I realized... and with the crowds there it was hard to get pictures sometimes. I skip MG releases for the most part so only took one pic of this which wasn't very good... But someone out there did get a better pic!

Looking at my HG I would say the face on the MG is improved.

Top Bottom