• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo Infinate Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplainin

Banned
Other than the majority of Sony trolls just shitting on Halo, because they always have, there was an issue for 343 to come to grips with.
Everyone has been screaming for Halo to go back to its core. Halo 1, 2 and 3. Everyone wanted Bungie type Halo back.
So 343 have gone back to Halo CE and recreated the atmosphere, game style and artwork.
Halo Infinate was never going to look any different than it does, and not because of that fanboy "game held back by XO" horse shit, but because this is the game you have all been demanding.
I for one am happy to play Halo like it was meant to be.
Imagine if 343 changed the colour scheme of the Halo environment, changed character models, or changed over enemies? We would all be bitching about how they ruined Halos legacy.
Its 4k60, a campaign that is longer than we have seen before, and goes back to that original Halo world.

Halo is what 343 could only ever do with it. And im happy to have Master Chief back.
Lock and load bitches.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
maxresdefault.jpg

Infinate

I don't which kind of shit you guys are smoking, but the desing has basically nothing to do with Halo CE.

The fuck are those brutes wearing? They seem to be straight of a Lego game.

Go play the MCC in 4k and than we can talk about "it looks like Halo 1-3".

Looked correct to me. Even a cross hair in the middle of the damn screen.

I dunno that we needed the facetime with the poorly modeled brute tho. That was the only rough part.

Last edited:
It was a really poorly put together gameplay trailer. They could have taken gameplay snippets from exciting parts of the game, instead we were shown a limited area at a time of day that made everything look flat. A selection of gameplay from different areas backed with the awesome music the series is known for would have been great. Instead I watched someone stumble around the map for eight minutes ending with a close-up shot of a character I don't really know anything about talking.

I thought it looked fine, though there was a lot of pop-in, sometimes on things really close to the player like bunches of grass, or strange pop-in like the clouds.

Three

343 are not going to have an issue because they are following MS' plan. I wouldn't be surprised if they scaled that to mobile à la Fortnite. If they are targeting GaaS it makes sense. It's just funny that a lot of the crazy xbox fans thought this game would blow everything out of the water based on absolutely nothing but faith.
It was a really poorly put together gameplay trailer. They could have taken gameplay snippets from exciting parts of the game, instead we were shown a limited area at a time of day that made everything look flat. A selection of gameplay from different areas backed with the awesome music the series is known for would have been great. Instead I watched someone stumble around the map for eight minutes ending with a close-up shot of a character I don't really know anything about talking.

I thought it looked fine, though there was a lot of pop-in, sometimes on things really close to the player like bunches of grass, or strange pop-in like the clouds.
They were looking around at set pieces and scenes like that shit was amazing. I think they actually thought those parts were exciting.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
It looks like a last gen game because it is a last gen game.

However it’s more obvious than ever that the Xbox brand is shit without Bungie.

343 is a joke.

Last edited:
Other than the majority of Sony trolls just shitting on Halo, because they always have, there was an issue for 343 to come to grips with.
Everyone has been screaming for Halo to go back to its core. Halo 1, 2 and 3. Everyone wanted Bungie type Halo back.
So 343 have gone back to Halo CE and recreated the atmosphere, game style and artwork.
Halo Infinate was never going to look any different than it does, and not because of that fanboy "game held back by XO" horse shit, but because this is the game you have all been demanding.
Imagine if 343 changed the colour scheme of the Halo environment, changed character models, or changed over enemies? We would all be bitching about how they ruined Halos legacy.
Its 4k60, a campaign that is longer than we have seen before, and goes back to that original Halo world.

Halo is what 343 could only ever do with it. And im happy to have Master Chief back.
Lock and load bitches.

This is such a crock of shit.

Yes, it looks more like Halo CE but the design philosophy of the game is completely different.

Halo CE had huge open levels but it was still a linear shooter. There was no map with objective markers and you couldn't choose what mission to do in any order you want.

This is what MS envisioned as Skyrim but halo.

Bring don mattrick back

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
The problem is that people want to compare a huge 4k@60fps open world coop/multiplayer game with some small area singleplayer games.

sircaw

Banned
I am keeping out of these threads cos i don't want to add petrol to an already out of control Bushfire.

JimiNutz

Banned
Making it look so similar to CE made it a little underwhelming. It just felt like I'd seen it all before.

CE is one of my favourite games of all time but I expect a 2020 version, running on 'the worlds most powerful console' to have a few more bells and whistles.

Why were the trees and foliage so lifeless and static?
Why aren't the tree swaying in the wind and leaves blowing around to make the world feel more 'alive'.
Why doesn't the blood pool around enemies like it used to in the old games?
Why does the animation and AI look identical, if not worse, than past Halo games that are over 10 years old?
Why doesn't the environment damage a bit when you fire at it?

These might all seem like small or nitpicky details but these are the things I expect from next gen. I don't just expect a higher res version of CE running at 60fps. It's boring.

Making it look so similar to CE made it a little underwhelming. It just felt like I'd seen it all before.

CE is one of my favourite games of all time but I expect a 2020 version, running on 'the worlds most powerful console' to have a few more bells and whistles.

Why were the trees and foliage so lifeless and static?
Why aren't the tree swaying in the wind and leaves blowing around to make the world feel more 'alive'.
Why doesn't the blood pool around enemies like it used to in the old games?
Why does the animation and AI look identical, if not worse, than past Halo games that are over 10 years old?
Why doesn't the environment damage a bit when you fire at it?

These might all seem like small or nitpicky details but these are the things I expect from next gen. I don't just expect a higher res version of CE running at 60fps. It's boring.

Because 343.

I liked the pace of the combat, though.

AeneaGames

Lock and load bitches.

Did the first 3 Halo's also have massive fog/clouds popin in the distance?
If so, they nailed the look!

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

JimiNutz

Banned
Because 343.

I liked the pace of the combat, though.

Yeah it wasn't a disaster in terms of the actual gameplay shown.
I'm sure it'll be fun to fight the Banished and the gameplay was very classic Halo.

I do wish they'd shown a bit more though.
This is open world so I'd like to have seen or heard a bit more about how that will work. What kind of other activities will we now be able to do that we weren't able to in past Halo games thanks to the new open world?

Danny 117

Really, really disappointed with the graphics / animations shown. The music sounded beautiful however and I will be always day one for a Halo game.

Zato

Banned
I wanted to be excited by it, but even outside the pop in, poor texture work and th laughable main enemy character model is that it just looked flat ...... the gameplay just didnt excite.

A better way to describe for me is cheap, it looks rushed, poor art assets and nothing that smacks of next gen.

I do think MS wasted a chance to place down a marker and make some PS4 owners to consider moving to the xbox, even at the expense of their library of games they would leave behind.

The gameplay looks absolutely amazing and fun as all hell, and graphically the particles, textures and environments all look great as well. The game had some issues with LOD in the distance and pop-in, but that's perfectly serviceable tbh. The game looks like it is taking a lot of inspiration from Halo CE both in terms of art style, level design and story.

I'm hyped, and no amount of people posting weird blurry closeups will change that

magaman

Banned
The gameplay looks absolutely amazing and fun as all hell, and graphically the particles, textures and environments all look great as well. The game had some issues with LOD in the distance and pop-in, but that's perfectly serviceable tbh. The game looks like it is taking a lot of inspiration from Halo CE both in terms of art style, level design and story.

I'm hyped, and no amount of people posting weird blurry closeups will change that

The gameplay looks like Halo:CE, which is how many years old? It's time for Halo to grow up and do something different. They have unlimited money. We were expecting to be wowed, and the game is a glorified meme at this point.

The gameplay looks like Halo:CE, which is how many years old? It's time for Halo to grow up and do something different. They have unlimited money. We were expecting to be wowed, and the game is a glorified meme at this point.

The gameplay looks like Halo 5 but toned down to be more "Halo like" and looks like a mix of CE, 3 and 5. It's the Halo game that hardcore fans have been begging for for many years and the gameplay looks great. Also, it literally is something different? All previous Halo games have been linear level based games (even Halo CE's huge open ended levels were still just levels) and Infinite is open world.

It's okay to not be wowed, but I think the game looks damn great and like lots of fun

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No. No. No. You don't call a game "Infinite" and go back to your roots. That's Halo: Beginning.

I wanted to see the next level of Halo. An evolution of sorts. Does anybody remember the reveal of Halo 3?

We were supposed to go up from there, not start at fuckin Combat Evolved.

That being said, there are plenty of other games that were shown that looked awesome but a lot was CGI, which means we aren't seeing a lot of these games til late 2021 at the earliest.

Sony suffers from similar issues, so I was looking to Xbox to solidify my decision to jump in head first to next gen. Now that BOTH SHOWS were mediocre at best, I'm seriously considering just spending my money on upgrading my PC and waiting for price drops.

I believe COVID has had an effect, but man some of this shit was a problem way before COVID hit. I can't imagine somebody sending that Halo footage to Phil and Phil sayin' "Holy Shit we got a winner here".

I'm fuckin pissed off.

VAL0R

Banned

Lock and load bitches.
Bruh, I'm an old school Halo fan back to the original. I was smitten when I saw the Macworld demo and have followed the series ever since. I am an Xbox fan today because of Halo. I've logged thousands of hours into Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer and played Halo 1's campaign dozens of times. I've bought the books and comics, worn the T-shirt and bought the action figures and Mega Blocks for my boys. My six-year-old has a Master Chief Halloween outfit he wears around the house and my 15 year old plays Halo 5 at the highest level, with legit pros, on a regular basis.

All that said, this game's visuals are garbage. I know it hurts bro. It hurts me too. Let's hurt together and the hurt might not feel so bad.

maxresdefault.jpg

magaman

Banned
No. No. No. You don't call a game "Infinite" and go back to your roots. That's Halo: Beginning.

I wanted to see the next level of Halo. An evolution of sorts. Does anybody remember the reveal of Halo 3?

We were supposed to go up from there, not start at fuckin Combat Evolved.

That being said, there are plenty of other games that were shown that looked awesome but a lot was CGI, which means we aren't seeing a lot of these games til late 2021 at the earliest.

Sony suffers from similar issues, so I was looking to Xbox to solidify my decision to jump in head first to next gen. Now that BOTH SHOWS were mediocre at best, I'm seriously considering just spending my money on upgrading my PC and waiting for price drops.

I believe COVID has had an effect, but man some of this shit was a problem way before COVID hit. I can't imagine somebody sending that Halo footage to Phil and Phil sayin' "Holy Shit we got a winner here".

I'm fuckin pissed off.

Agreed. I really don't want to roll with Sony given my huge Xbox library. But FFS, the Series X feels more like "Xbox One X Version 2" than a new generation. And Microsoft isn't even trying to hide this. They're legit banking on cross-gen, and it's not doing it for me.

Dramos

[....]
[...]

Colour scheme is new. It is closer to the lighter end of the warm spectrum. It also looks muted.

Consider this screenshot:

One might argue this looks like Mega Construx toys...

Phase

It may look like Halo again, but I think you missed the part of Halo that og fans have been going on and on about for years - the gameplay.

This is certainly not a return to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom