• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo TV show will be similar in "scope and scale" to Game of Thrones says 343 boss

CyberPanda

Banned
Halo x Game of Thrones is the mash-up we never knew we wanted

ofFV4iJ9zTizP6J9rvFJUD-970-80.jpg

If you didn’t already hold out high hopes for the Halo TV show, you might just want to reconsider your position. That’s because it’s got some very lofty goals in its sight, not least attempting to match and mirror Game of Thrones, quite possibly the most popular TV show ever. With the financial might of Microsoft at its back, this (hopefully) isn’t just 343 Industries whispering sweet nothings to stoke the already-frenzied fires of an expectant fan base.

Speaking to The Game Maker’s Notebook podcast (H/T Gamespot), 343 transmedia boss Kiki Wolfkill (yes, that is their real name and, yes, it is impossibly cool), was asked about what the Halo TV show could be compared to in the medium.

Their answer, though, might raise some eyebrows: “"It's hard to find an analog. We talk about Game of Thrones a lot in terms of scope and scale and complexity of relationships,” before expanding that “A lot of the background of Halo is this sort of political drama. It's something that [is mentioned] really lightly in the games… Some of that [Game of Thrones] complexity is interesting."

So, while we shouldn’t be expecting Red Weddings involving Sgt. Johnson, there is a lot we can at least hold out hope for. Epic battles, obviously, should be the first on the list. Imagine Master Chief – who we now know is being played by Pablo Schreiber – weaving through a gallery of Grunts and Brutes as all hell rains down in the background. Goosebumps.

But it might be the political situation that has caught the attention of those who are entrenched in Halo lore. If you don’t know your Covenant from your Cortanas, you might not realise there is a deep, rich history of political and religious intrigue bubbling away in the background in the Halo universe. Setting up that framework for Master Chief’s story, including all the backstabs and betrayals that come with it, could reap rewards in the long run, instead of the Halo TV show just gunning for merely being a one-dimensional video game adaptation.

Hilariously, Wolfkill says the Halo TV show won’t be matching HBO’s fantastic epic in all respects. Namely, there’s “no incest” and that “If you're looking for that, you won't find it here.”

So… yeah. Apart from that, the Halo TV show could be well on its way to filling the Game of Thrones-shaped hole in our heart (and telly boxes).

I'm not going to expect Game of Thrones level success, but I don't doubt that MS will try and match its quality and scope. That doesn't mean they'll achieve it, but they'll try. Honestly, Halo is a perfect story to do something similar, as the lore is layers on layers deep. If they can adapt a lot of the books, and come out with a compelling timeline of events, with good character development and story-telling, consider me hyped.

Iced Arcade

I'm glad we're setting realistic expectations.

Look, I like Halo, but objectively it doesn't have the depth ASOIAF has.

That being said, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
What I meant and said is... it has depth, didn't say it had more or matched. I don't think many if any franchises could claim so.

Last edited:
It's a stupid article, yeah I'm sure the millions of females that love a good romantic soapy drama are just going to love Halo! They are in no way similar at all.

I dont think the shows is based directly off any specific games. As in they more than have the capabilities to run the show into the ground and make into a shitty soapy romantic drama. Hopefully they don't.

Holammer

Oh right, I forgot they're actually working on a TV series.
Now Halo on Steam makes perfect sense. It is a great way to promote the brand and drum up interest before it airs in 2020. If the game becomes a hit among Chinese gamers like PUBG did, the checks write themselves and they'll secure distribution there.

... I might be reading too much into it, or is MS engaged in some clever 4D chess marketing?

Sorne

I reeeeeallly hope we get to see some of it from the covenant side as well. I loved how they introduced them in Halo 2 as an intelligent species, with political hierarchies etc. and not just aliens to kill because THEY BAD ALIENS.

JimiNutz

Banned
Halo certainly has the lore behind it that could be adapted into an epic show that is similar in scale and scope.

I very much doubt that Showtime are gonna be pumping in the money required to pull that off though.

Cheap talk....Every TV show out there with a streaming TV budget behind it has the goal to be the 'next Game Of Thrones'.
I don't think it's cheap talk, necessarily. It's okay to set a goal. No one is going to be like, "well I think we want to aim for sci-fi channel levels of good this time around."

Shifty

When the fanbase has turned on its collective heel and reacted so poorly that even non-GoT normies like myself are aware of the sudden shift into massive shitshow.

What a perfect time to announce your inspiration :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Xenon

Poor timing to compare yourself to The Game of Thrones. Scope is only as good as the characters that fill it. This is the biggest hurdle for a series who's strongest character is a stoic lone wolf hero.

SpartanN92

Banned
Man I’m probably one of the biggest Halo fans on Gaf and I have ZERO faith that this show will be any good.

Let’s start with the fact that this show was announced in May 2013!!! They announced this show so far in advance it was insane.
Then there was the statement that (I’m paraphrasing here) characters genders/ethnicities would be changed to fit their intersectional check list.
And finally this week the remark about the series being non canon.

I’m calling it now, this show will be complete garbage.

nush

This is 343's standard promo MO. I've been in a meeting with them before the Halo 4 launch and they were talking about how that game and the franchise was going to be direct quote "A cultural touchstone like Star Wars and Harry Potter". I didn't say anything at that meeting becuse money was on the table but I was thinking that cultural touchstone was impossible becuse all they had was a mute space marine and a sexy hologram not a diverse cast needed to be either Harry Potter or Star Wars. That observation still has not changed. No you are NEVER going to be Games of Thrones either becuse you've done nothing to diversify your core characters since then.

juliotendo

For whatever reason it’s hard for me to see Showtime putting in actual effort into this. Creating a believable Halo universe is going to require a lot of effects, trickery, and post production work that requires a lot of $$$.

There’s a huge risk this can become a total disaster too if not properly done.

joe_zazen

You know, the best part of Star Wars was the trade disputes and political manoeuvring, so this is great news to me.

I hope halo has a senator jar jar.

CuNi

I gotta say first, that I really love the Halo franchise to no end, but damn.. this enthusiasm is cringy.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
GoT has/had international appeal. Halo, not so much.

Especially so as if you've not actually played the games there's pretty much nothing to grab onto as a franchise. Master Chief is more an outfit than a character.

Top Bottom