• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Handmaid's Tale |OT| Starring Elisabeth Moss - Wednesdays on Hulu, 92 on MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodstyle

There's not. He rants about it across several tweets calling it feminist conspiracy trash. Again, no one should be surprised because Norm Macdonald has always been garbage.

This. I absolutely can't stand this man. He's every awful stereotype about Trump voters hiding behind the guise of a beloved comedian. He has such an ugly personality that it makes me sick.

Watched all three episodes last night. I watch entirely too much TV and this show managed to disturb me far more than anything else I've watched. In particular (episode 3 spoiler)
the scene when the 'police' starting firing on the protesters. Fuck that was too real for me - the feeling of fear in that scene was palpable.

Also this.

That scene was actually sort of funny to me in its own way because
obviously a lot of this show (and the book) was written and filmed pre-Trump winning, but the scope of the women's march (something you could NEVER replicate on television without $$$$$$$$$) made the protest seem, I don't know, small? I feel like being at the women's march made me realize maybe how big those sorts of protests might be. Not the fault of the show, it was just something I kept thinking about while watching

LProtag

I gotta get watching this weekend.

One of my high school teachers assigned the book and it was a great experience reading it as a teenage boy, to be honest. Really helped open up my perspective of gender issues. I'm excited to see what Hulu does with it. Everything I've heard has been pretty positive.

~Kinggi~

Banned
yo fuck if they keep this quality this got Emmy s all over it. Only watched first episode though but goddamn this is the new shit.

Landford

Banned
Just saw the first two episodes. I really cant remember when was the last TV show that used cinematography in such a magistral way. I think It was Breaking Bad.

The colors. man. And the lack of them.

Just saw the first two episodes. I really cant remember when was the last TV show that used cinematography in such a magistral way. I think It was Breaking Bad.

The colors. man. And the lack of them.

Mr Robot and The Knick are also amazing in the cinematography department.

Can anyone speculate on Hulu's decision to drop 3 of the episodes and then the 7 thereafter on a weekly basis; is it because they have absolute faith in the show, or is it to allow for a larger audience to take in as much of the product as possible right out the gate? I think of shows that had a slow burn, and was then cancelled just as it was beginning to take off. No one gave the show a chance based on the pilot. With Handmaid's Tale, you have three episodes out the gate, but does anyone think this show would do just as well if they only dropped the pilot?

Can anyone speculate on Hulu's decision to drop 3 of the episodes and then the 7 thereafter on a weekly basis; is it because they have absolute faith in the show, or is it to allow for a larger audience to take in as much of the product as possible right out the gate? I think of shows that had a slow burn, and was then cancelled just as it was beginning to take off. No one gave the show a chance based on the pilot. With Handmaid's Tale, you have three episodes out the gate, but does anyone think this show would do just as well if they only dropped the pilot?

It's Hulu's model.

So why did they drop 3 episodes in right away? I guess my line of questioning is if this type of practice usually a sign of desperation from a network, or is it a sign of confidence among a network. I remember how HBO would air marathons of Carnivale during its first season to get more people interested in the show. It's great that this show is getting great reviews, but I can't help but wonder if the usual suspects will try to derail this show through conservative outlets, memes, and social media campaigns -- that is, if the show shows signs of gaining a significant following. I haven't watched the show yet, but I'm somewhat familiar with its themes and plots.

What I'd like know is if this show will explore other persecuted factions within Gilead. How will they be addressed? Because as everyone knows, there's always a spectrum of persecuted demographics in theocracies all over the world. Yes, A Handmaid's Tale comes from a woman's point of view, but I do hope that other voices are given their time as well too.

Another thing, has the show explored how men are affected? Are all the men going to be the oppressors here, or will there be progressive minded men to balance that out? I really don't want there to be unnecessary ammunition to arm the usual band of deplorables who will dismiss this show out of spite.

Corpekata

Banned

It's just a bait and hook model. Hulu doesn't have Amazon or Netflix's libraries or acclaim, nor Netflix's ubiquity or Amazon's dozen of side benefits for subscribing. This lets the people that really like it binge just enough to be hooked but are now on the hook for 2 months of subs that they can then maybe get hooked on Hulu's other stuff. This is by far their most high profile show to date and they want to exploit it.

dreams

I feel like the music interspersed feels really... jarring and out of place. That's really my only gripe, but honestly it just feels like... not right. But then again I haven't read the book (even though I own it...) so idk if like these songs are fitting with the tone of the book? Like really, we're invoking the breakfast club right now?

It's just a bait and hook model. Hulu doesn't have Amazon or Netflix's libraries or acclaim, nor Netflix's ubiquity or Amazon's dozen of side benefits for subscribing. This lets the people that really like it binge just enough to be hooked but are now on the hook for 2 months of subs that they can then maybe get hooked on Hulu's other stuff. This is by far their most high profile show to date and they want to exploit it.

Do you think this show could become popular with men as well?

Corpekata

Banned

I guess? The book wasn't like 100 percent read by women. This is an art/acclaim show, which don't have near the gender or racial barriers in audience the way a lot of broad audience stuff does. It'll likely end up something like Orange is the New Black. Primarily watched by women but with a sizable male fanbase as well. Maybe a little more male leaning than that since sci-fi tends to skew more male typically.

Is it going to win over the crowd that recoils at the word "feminism"? No, probably not.

Pixieking

Banned

As Corpekata, anyone who recoils at "feminism" will most likely not watch it (and that'll include some men and women). But really, I'm a guy, and it looks amazing - the fact that the writer of the book is so on-board is a good sign, and the initial trailer will do a good job of selling the show to the people looking for a future version of Game of Thrones, or more of the Speculative Fiction that Children of Men gave us.

(We'll know when Handmaid's Tale jumps the shark - it'll be when they fan-service and have Clive Owen turn-up)

As Corpekata, anyone who recoils at "feminism" will most likely not watch it (and that'll include some men and women). But really, I'm a guy, and it looks amazing - the fact that the writer of the book is so on-board is a good sign, and the initial trailer will do a good job of selling the show to the people looking for a future version of Game of Thrones, or more of the Speculative Fiction that Children of Men gave us.

(We'll know when Handmaid's Tale jumps the shark - it'll be when they fan-service and have Clive Owen turn-up)

It chills me to the bone that you have people who are so repulsed at anything to do with feminism, would on the other hand embrace a theocracy as a reverse logic. I had my own hang ups and issues surrounding feminism and homosexuality back in the day, but in no way did I ever embrace the central tenets espoused by the religious right back in the 1990's.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They don't have to be. This is just very heavy-handed and predictable.
I'm on episode 2 and yeah... I mean, I don't even know how this world is supposed to exist, since it seems to take only a few years for this new patriarchal government to not only take over, but subjugate all women and presumably most if not all racial, religious, and sexual minorities as well.

I'm on episode 2 and yeah... I mean, I don't even know how this world is supposed to exist, since it seems to take only a few years for this new patriarchal government to not only take over, but subjugate all women and presumably most if not all racial, religious, and sexual minorities as well.
1984 had literally "Thought Police". Dystopias do tend to be pretty heavy handed and more speculative than realistic, as generally the goal is to use the not-our-society to bring the societal issues being examined to the forefront and explore them in ways you can't in the structure of realistic modern society.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
1984 had literally "Thought Police". Dystopias do tend to be pretty heavy handed and more speculative than realistic, as generally the goal is to use the not-our-society to bring the societal issues being examined to the forefront and explore them in ways you can't in the structure of realistic modern society.
Maybe it'd be better without the flashbacks. For all intent and purpose, Mad Max Fury Road basically has the same world, with female sex slaves and poor people being subjugated by a man who has power over everyone. But I'm not expected to believe it took 5 years for us to go from a functioning society to the end of humanity as we know it.

Carcetti

It's an allegorical dystopia written over 30 years ago.

If you can believe superheroes exist while watching a movie, you can probably do it with here as well.

Maybe it'd be better without the flashbacks. For all intent and purpose, Mad Max Fury Road basically has the same world, with female sex slaves and poor people being subjugated by a man who has power over everyone. But I'm not expected to believe it took 5 years for us to go from a functioning society to the end of humanity as we know it.
How many years it took doesnt really matter. All that matters is that our society once existed, and people still remember living in the old times

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Only watched the first episode so far. It is overwhelmingly, almost parodically bleak. It felt very much like a pilot with a bit forced exposition, but it was generally good. Hoping for the the other two episodes to turn it from good to amazing.

Ann Dowd was definitely the highlight for me. She's just incredible.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Mad Max's timeline is actually about 5-10 years post collapse if you go by the original movie onward.

I never understood how the world suddenly became a huge desert in that short time frame.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's an allegorical dystopia written over 30 years ago.

If you can believe superheroes exist while watching a movie, you can probably do it with here as well.
I mean I have my problem with Marvel movies, so. :p

How many years it took doesnt really matter. All that matters is that the our society once existed, and people still remember living in the old times
I suppose. It's just when something breaks my suspension of disbelief, I just find it hard to shake off the feeling.

This is one of the few shows that made me irrationally angry and fidgety. It's the subtle shit like
Deanne?'s baby being taken from her and given to the barren wife.
I am not even female, but holy hell that made me gnash my teeth in rage. Although, the
protest
scene was laughable due to some of the VFX work and small scale. (Budget stuff, I know) I just think the scene would of had more impact if it had a grander (and possibly more grislier) scope.

I mean if you're trying to parse out how many years exactly it would take for a full on patriarchal takeover of our government, you're missing the point.

Also that was ~literally~ the Iranian Revolution.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mean if you're trying to parse out how many years exactly it would take for a full on patriarchal takeover of our government, you're missing the point.
They keep calling attention to it though. I want to ignore it but I can't.
It literally goes from a coffee guy calling her a slut to armed men shooting at them in the street. Okay... not literally, but still. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Iranian Revolution happened in an extremely short amount of time
There was also an attempted military coup in Turkey and that lasted a week or so?

Edit: lol, I don't want to get hung up on this, but it's just one of those things that escalates so quickly that it stretches credulity is all. Let's move on.

Aiii

So not worth it
There was also an attempted military coup in Turkey and that lasted a week or so?

Edit: lol, I don't want to get hung up on this, but it's just one of those things that escalates so quickly that it stretches credulity is all. Let's move on.

There's nothing really to get hung up about. There was a disease that left most women barren, a catastrophic event that some populist politicians used to get power and now here we are.

Just look at how Erdogan is slowly becoming a dictator through democracy in only a few years time, if you need a proper example.

Hitler went from jail to occupying Europe in only a couple of decades.

Does this show have enough going on to be able to intrigue male viewers? Are there any signs of any male protagonists in this show to balance things out?

Pixieking

Banned
Does this show have enough going on to be able to intrigue male viewers? Are there any signs of any male protagonists in this show to balance things out?

notsureifserious.jpg

"Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, a totalitarian and theocratic state that has replaced the United States of America."

Taking-out the fertility/women's rights aspects, and you have something that passes resemblance to near-future Speculative Fiction, far future Sci-Fi, and fantasy. So, every genre that intrigues men. If you need male protagonists to watch a show, then it has them too, but since I'm still waiting on the answer to my question on the last page, I couldn't tell you much about them.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thinking of watching this with a friend who went through a fairly vicious
sexual assault
awhile ago. The trailer implied things that might stress her out. Can anyone who's seen the first eps comment on if there's anything explicit that might upset her? Just a yes/no gruesome/not gruesome will do. Cheers. :)

This is a tough one to answer. I'd say that there is definitely some unsettling material but no nudity or anything like that. That being said, there are certainly moments I could imagine would stress someone out. Not vicious but the scenario is incredibly horrifying.

notsureifserious.jpg

"Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, a totalitarian and theocratic state that has replaced the United States of America."

Taking-out the fertility/women's rights aspects, and you have something that passes resemblance to near-future Speculative Fiction, far future Sci-Fi, and fantasy. So, every genre that intrigues men. If you need male protagonists to watch a show, then it has them too, but since I'm still waiting on the answer to my question on the last page, I couldn't tell you much about them.

No, I don't need cajoling to see the show. I'm just debating whether to get a Hulu account or wait until it comes to bluray.

The reason why I'm hoping for a male protagonist is so that it can attract men on the fence for this show. I have a feeling that if there's a backlash from the usual suspects, a male protagonist(s) can help to counter this accusation. I think Enlightened was a great show, but because it was headlined by a woman I think the show struggled to gain male viewers. It was a fantastic show, but I'm not going to pretend that as a man, I probably wasn't the prime target this show was being directed at.

I like Elizabeth Moss and feel that she's a strong enough actress to be able to carry this show where it needs to go. I just wish I had the same level of confidence toward general viewers who might dismiss this show on account of a woman being the lead, as well as this show being branded as nothing more than feminist propaganda, which I'm already seeing from National Review, who predictably laments that this show doesn't target Muslims with the same level of scorn that Gilead gets.

TheOddOne

No, I don't need cajoling to see the show. I'm just debating whether to get a Hulu account or wait until it comes to bluray.

The reason why I'm hoping for a male protagonist is so that it can attract men on the fence for this show. I have a feeling that if there's a backlash from the usual suspects, a male protagonist(s) can help to counter this accusation. I think Enlightened was a great show, but because it was headlined by a woman I think the show struggled to gain male viewers. It was a fantastic show, but I'm not going to pretend that as a man, I probably wasn't the prime target this show was being directed at.

I like Elizabeth Moss and feel that she's a strong enough actress to be able to carry this show where it needs to go. I just wish I had the same level of confidence toward general viewers who might dismiss this show on account of a woman being the lead, as well as this show being branded as nothing more than feminist propaganda, which I'm already seeing from National Review, who predictably laments that this show doesn't target Muslims with the same level of scorn that Gilead gets.
I'm legit confused as to the point of all of this. All the above reads like a TV executive who gives god-awful notes about a show he doesn’t understand or wants to understand.

...but I'm not going to pretend that as a man, I probably wasn't the prime target this show was being directed at
If you enjoy good stories, good performances, well-directed television, bleak but thought-provoking science fiction, speculative/allegorical dystopian fiction, you're the "prime target"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom