• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The HD Movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If it's the same transfer as the HD DVD versions I can say that the Matrix movies all look ridiculously good. And the PQ gets better with the sequels. Audio is top notch (the HD DVD's were TrueHD I believe). The extras are very extensive (including engaging PiP) and the BD features Animatrix in HD. I got an Xbox Live code with the HD DVD set for Animatrix in SD and it looks like crap, way worse than the dvd. If you're a fan of the films, get this.

Dazzla

I ordered the trilogy from Amazon UK (when it was £14.99, dunno if they'll honour it). Do Warner region code their blu-rays? I've got a US PS3.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Solo said:
Actually, no. These color palette issues cropped up in 2006 with the Lowry restorations, which are the versions you just bought on BD (and were released on DVD in 2006). They messed around with the color timing on pretty much all the films, much to the chagrin of many Bond fans. You have to take the good with the bad on these ones. The good being that the films are razor sharp and cleaner than they have ever looked, the bad being that the color timing is off in most of the films, and one or two of the films (Goldeneye and The Spy Who Loved Me, I believe, if memory serves) have framing issues (Lowry inexplicably did some image cropping). I have the 2003 SEs on DVD and the 2006 UEs (which again are the versions now out for BD) on DVD, and the long and the short of it is that the 2003 SEs have more accurate color timing, while the 2006 UEs have much better image quality, sound quality, and extras.
This is what I came into the thread to ask about. I was disgusted by a lot of the Ultimate Editions and I was wondering if they fixed the timing. I guess not. Fuck Lowry.
It'll be pretty funny if the only one I buy on Blu is Die Another Day, lol. /sigh

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
VanMardigan said:
If it's the same transfer as the HD DVD versions I can say that the Matrix movies all look ridiculously good. And the PQ gets better with the sequels. Audio is top notch (the HD DVD's were TrueHD I believe). The extras are very extensive (including engaging PiP) and the BD features Animatrix in HD. I got an Xbox Live code with the HD DVD set for Animatrix in SD and it looks like crap, way worse than the dvd. If you're a fan of the films, get this.

That's good to hear. I was reading the thread about it over at AVS which has fallen into an argument over the quality from WB and whether or not they should have re-encoded. It's interesting, but also makes me wonder whether to jump on this set or wait and hope for a new encode sometime down the road.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
LunaticPuma said:
That's good to hear. I was reading the thread about it over at AVS which has fallen into an argument over the quality from WB and whether or not they should have re-encoded. It's interesting, but also makes me wonder whether to jump on this set or wait and hope for a new encode sometime down the road.

I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the encode. The movies look as good as the best HD transfers out there. It's PQ is undeniably good. AVS can be ultra-snobby about these things, and there is some left over resentment from the format wars, which leads some fanboys to want re-encodes on movies that were top notch anyway, like Transformers and Matrix.

Solo

TAJ said:
This is what I came into the thread to ask about. I was disgusted by a lot of the Ultimate Editions and I was wondering if they fixed the timing. I guess not. Fuck Lowry.
It'll be pretty funny if the only one I buy on Blu is Die Another Day, lol. /sigh

Yup, unfortunately it looks like we'll have to wait another decade until they inevitably restore the films again to get the correct visual presentation. Thats why Ive never parted with my 2003 SEs. Although the 2006 UEs are superior in every other way, the color timing/cropping means that they can never be considered the definitive versions.

GQman2121

Banned
I haven't searched this thread, but I just want to suggest the Mad Men season 1 Blu-ray to everyone who loves good TV.

The Blu-ray transfer of the AMC show is brilliant. I watched in SD on tv during the season, but holy shit does watching it in HD make everything better.

The sets, costumes, and even sound all shine unlike any other tv show I've ever seen on Blu-ray. Easily demo worthy for anyone who wants to see the power of HD.

The three disc season is packed with features as well.

An hour long making of doc, which you'll want to watch after seeing the entire season because they show and explain how they go about recreating the sets and mood for 1960.

There's also two sets of commentary for each of the 12 episodes; one by the group of the cast; the other by the executive producer Matthew Weiner.

If you haven't already, check it out. It's the biggest steal on Blu-ray you'll ever fine for $25 US.

Costanza

Banned
GQman2121 said:
I haven't searched this thread, but I just want to suggest the Mad Men season 1 Blu-ray to everyone who loves good TV.

The Blu-ray transfer of the AMC show is brilliant. I watched in SD on tv during the season, but holy shit does watching it in HD make everything better.

The sets, costumes, and even sound all shine unlike any other tv show I've ever seen on Blu-ray. Easily demo worthy for anyone who wants to see the power of HD.

The three disc season is packed with features as well.

An hour long making of doc, which you'll want to watch after seeing the entire season because they show and explain how they go about recreating the sets and mood for 1960.

There's also two sets of commentary for each of the 12 episodes; one by the group of the cast; the other by the executive producer Matthew Weiner.

If you haven't already, check it out. It's the biggest steal on Blu-ray you'll ever fine for $25 US.
I got mine on Ebay the week it came out for $17 shipped :D

VanMardigan said:
I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the encode. The movies look as good as the best HD transfers out there. It's PQ is undeniably good. AVS can be ultra-snobby about these things, and there is some left over resentment from the format wars, which leads some fanboys to want re-encodes on movies that were top notch anyway, like Transformers and Matrix.

yeah, the way they nitpick individual screen grabs for compression, EE, and DNRing can get scarily obsessive at times. Those things bother me too but sometimes, they should just relax and enjoy the movie.

I'm guessing this applies to Blu-Ray too?

5363_20081023_threedaysale_04.jpg

http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBI--giAQfEXsB7WsFiAXx9GkTW/doc.html

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Have any film companies ever given reasons for the crappy extras on some Blu Rays? I don't care if the deleted scenes and outtakes are in SD, I feel ripped off.

And Ronin doesn't even have commentary. What the fuck!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
McBacon said:
Have any film companies ever given reasons for the crappy extras on some Blu Rays? I don't care if the deleted scenes and outtakes are in SD, I feel ripped off.

The first time I experienced this was for A Knight's Tale. Up until that point, I was blissfully unaware that there was such thing as a barebones hi def title. :(

I'm a lot more careful now when looking for movies to buy.

Lhadatt

McBacon said:

Budgets prevent creating these extras, especially if they're not made during the original production. If the studio doesn't think the extras will get people to buy the disc or that it's a heavily niche market for that movie, they won't spend the extra money.

What you're paying for is an HD transfer of a movie, regardless of its quality or cinematic value. The extras are considered freebies thrown in to inspire goodwill from the consumer.

I just got Incredible Hulk this morning thanks to the delay in Canada, but it didn't have that 3D slip-cover. Did that not make it over to the Canadian version because of the bi-lingual covers?

Lhadatt said:
Budgets prevent creating these extras, especially if they're not made during the original production. If the studio doesn't think the extras will get people to buy the disc or that it's a heavily niche market for that movie, they won't spend the extra money.

What you're paying for is an HD transfer of a movie, regardless of its quality or cinematic value. The extras are considered freebies thrown in to inspire goodwill from the consumer.

It wouldn't cost much just to port over the SD extras from current dvd editions. The real reason is that they're holding onto the extras for the inevitable special editions in 2-3 years time.

Picked up Sweeney Todd last night and was well worth it.
PQ is high 4 and arguably 5 stars (only reason I say not a strong 5 is because of the stylistic tone of the film being very dark).
Blacks are clean, colors pop, and detail is stunning.
AQ is again right up there.
Paramount really is doing a hell of a job on their blu releases.
Nice assortment of extras also.
All and all a great pick up.

Edit: Also picked up Sleeping Beauty.
Stunning presentation, and I honestly love the dvd copy being included.

GuessWho

just finish watching Hulk, amazing. PQ was good but sound quality is sick. Alternate opening is in HD, and you can CLEARLY make out CAP, colors and all. Awesome stuff. BD-Live is very cool too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Digital Bits says Disney is lowering the price for Lost Season 4 by $30, which means you get it off Amazon for $50 now. Fucking sweet!

StoOgE said:
I must be missing something, I only see like 20 movies.
The link is just for a subsection of what's available. Click "all titles".

Some titles have changed since I last looked. I don't remember American Psycho being on there before. Lots of other additions, and I presume subtractions.

Finally sat down and watched Tekkonkinkreet. Looked awesome, but I was so confused by the ending. I know I was paying attention through the whole fever dream but I still missed who the hell the Minotaur was supposed to be.

ThirstyFly said:
I just got Incredible Hulk this morning thanks to the delay in Canada, but it didn't have that 3D slip-cover. Did that not make it over to the Canadian version because of the bi-lingual covers?
god damn francophones always fuck everything up.

I would take a French-only cover over a bilingual cover. Too much fucking redundancy leading to ugliness.

eLGee

Got my Godfather trilogy BD set today. Didn't expect a transfer measurable by a new movie, but it was good. Miles better than the old DVD transfer, that's for sure.

eLGee said:
Got my Godfather trilogy BD set today. Didn't expect a transfer measurable by a new movie, but it was good. Miles better than the old DVD transfer, that's for sure.

Call me when they got an Apocalypse Now transfer. That movie looks amazing.

NekoFever

I just rented and watched the UK Shawshank Redemption Blu-ray from ITV. If you've been tempted, wait for the US release from Warner.

This one has only Dolby Digital 5.1 (Warner version will have TrueHD) and the transfer isn't great either. Pretty soft in places and although I'm not sensitive to the DNR that the aficionados all hate I'd definitely describe some of the close-ups on faces as "waxy". Very little grain so I'd suspect that it has been DNR'd. The transfer is AVC and all (?) Warner releases so far have been VC-1, so I think there's a good chance that the new version will have a completely different transfer.

lupin23rd

What's the word on DVD/BD steelbooks actually being valuable one day?

Popped by Future Shop to check out the Bond movies and I see they are all in steelbook, I'm pretty anal about my BDs (pretty much planning to replace all the cases with the printed BD logo with the etched cases) and I wasn't sure if I should just buy the steelbooks or wait for normal cases to come out (or buy elsewhere).

Not sure if the steelbooks are common down south or it's just a Canadian thing. If these things are generally worth more down the line I might pick one up today :lol

the case size difference between the two models is enough that you'll also have to reprint all of the inserts as well. You can go etched -> printed because etched is smaller but not printed -> etched because - you guessed it - etched is smaller.

lupin23rd

bune duggy said:
the case size difference between the two models is enough that you'll also have to reprint all of the inserts as well. You can go etched -> printed because etched is smaller but not printed -> etched because - you guessed it - etched is smaller.

Yeah I know the inserts are a little smaller but it works out well enough, I mean I only see the spines :lol

OCD for the win :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I bought Hulk on a blind buy, I was pretty happy with the movie. It wasn't great, but it was pretty decent.. much better than the last Hulk movie. Hopefully Norton gets another one and not just Avengers.

Though, I'm guessing they will keep Hulk around just so the Avengers can turn on him for being too dangerous in the sequel.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Picked up Transformers today (lawl)... next purchase will probably be Sleeping Beauty. It feels so good to buy blu-rays again~

DCX

DCX
GoutPatrol said:
Oh my god. Watching Speed Racer in HD was an incredible experience.
It really is, its chessy, but in line with the spirit of Speed Racer and the visuals are fantastic!

DCX

DCX

DCX
That's the thing, i want to go nuts getting BluRays but it's soooo expensive! When will it get down to 19 maybe 24 for new releases and 17-14 for older, less important movies?

DCX

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The PQ in Transformers was pretty good. Second time seeing the movie itself... for some reason it feels like a guilty childhood pleasure :X Oh how awesome 80s cartoons were.

MWS Natural said:
You guys have had success with buying blu-rays on ebay? I have been using amazon but the prices I keep reading are amazingly cheap.

Yeah a few times, especially in lots.
Though Amazon used and half.com usually beat ebay..

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I received my first Blu-ray today, which player to get? I'm kinda tempted to wait for the announced Oppo BD Palyer, but an interim solution would be nice. Which one to get for 250EUR or less?

ElyrionX

Just caught Kill Bill Volume 1 and Transformers on Blu-ray. Holy crap, the picture and audio quality on the both of them are phenomenal. I was very very impressed by Kill Bill's PQ when I first started it up and the movie has an incredible sound mix and soundtrack.

Lhadatt

OnkelC said:
I received my first Blu-ray today, which player to get? I'm kinda tempted to wait for the announced Oppo BD Palyer, but an interim solution would be nice. Which one to get for 250EUR or less?
Playstation 3. It's future proof through upgrading and is a really good player all-around.

Examples of PS3's goodness:
- Most players will take ages to load up a disc, but the PS3 has a faster BRD drive than most everything else, so it only takes a moment to load even BD-Live enabled discs.
- Older players cannot be upgraded to Profile 2.0, but PS3 is already there.
- It's internet-enabled for BD-Live and other crap without needing an ethernet cord.
- It's a great upscaling DVD player. It's made most of the DVDs I've watched on it from my library look better than they have a right to.
- You can play LittleBigPlanet on it after watching a movie.

Lhadatt said:
Playstation 3. It's future proof through upgrading and is a really good player all-around.

Examples of PS3's goodness:
- Most players will take ages to load up a disc, but the PS3 has a faster BRD drive than most everything else, so it only takes a moment to load even BD-Live enabled discs.
- Older players cannot be upgraded to Profile 2.0, but PS3 is already there.
- It's internet-enabled for BD-Live and other crap without needing an ethernet cord.
- It's a great upscaling DVD player. It's made most of the DVDs I've watched on it from my library look better than they have a right to.
- You can play LittleBigPlanet on it after watching a movie.
- You can upgarde the HDD, and also load movies, music and photos to it as well.

Fixed :)

Watching "Watchmen Motion Comic" on PS3 = Sex in the beach!!

Midas

Less than a month until Wall-E is released. First blind buy on Blu-ray for me. I'm quite sure the PQ will be simply fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom