• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The healthiest order at every major fast food chain

Constipated? Maybe if you eat too much protein and not enough fat. Which heritages? Indian, and Chinese? You should have a look at the rate that diabetes is growing there and in other countries. Populations that thrive on high carb usually eat way less calories than Americans and certainty not as much refined sugar. So even if they eat rice, such as the Japanese, they aren't guzzling down sugar like Westerners, so their carb intake isn't that high. But those who eat lots of it, end up with same issues as westerners.

The problem is people are led to believe that sugar isn't a problem but fat is. You have people who are skinny and active who develop type 2 diabetes due to this or vegetarians/vegans with heart disease. So that's why many people on Keto are defensive about this shit.

You're putting words in my mouth.

Most sources of fibre (which battle constipation) are carb/grain-based.
I was alluring to countries like Japan, yes. And I'm not talking about refined sugars. Refined sugars are NOT part of any healthy meal plan, high-carb or not. Average Japanese diet is very high in grain-based carbohydrates, and low in fat. High carb, low fat is generally good (as long as the carbs are coming from the right sources). High fat, low carb is also generally good. It's when you have a high carb, high fat diet that results in issues. Japan has some of the highest life expectancy in the world, plus a low risk of heart disease.

I get why you're defensive, because I agree that fat on its own isn't the enemy, and I do agree that there was a time when that was the mentality that was taught to people. I wasn't talking about defensiveness, though. I was talking about how lots of the keto dieters I've encountered act like it's the end all be all, and that everything else is invalid. And I'm sorry, that just isn't true. It's not. It's a good option, but it's not the only option, and it's not the best option for everyone just because it's the best option for you.

Either way, this is getting off-topic. This thread isn't about keto, so Imma stop here.

IceCold

You're putting words in my mouth.

Most sources of fibre (which battle constipation) are carb/grain-based.
I was alluring to countries like Japan, yes. And I'm not talking about refined sugars. Refined sugars are NOT part of any healthy meal plan, high-carb or not. Average Japanese diet is very high in grain-based carbohydrates, and low in fat. High carb, low fat is generally good (as long as the carbs are coming from the right sources). High fat, low carb is also generally good. It's when you have a high carb, high fat diet that results in issues. Japan has some of the highest life expectancy in the world, plus a low risk of heart disease.

I get why you're defensive, because I agree that fat on its own isn't the enemy, and I do agree that there was a time when that was the mentality that was taught to people. I wasn't talking about defensiveness, though. I was talking about how lots of the keto dieters I've encountered act like it's the end all be all, and that everything else is invalid. And I'm sorry, that just isn't true. It's not. It's a good option, but it's not the only option, and it's not the best option for everyone just because it's the best option for you.

Like I said, Japanese people eat smaller portions so in absolute numbers, they aren't eating such a large amount of carbs. Traditionally they also ate lots of seafood which is loaded with good fats and vitamins.

But yeah, I do agree that many Keto people think this way. Maybe over-eagerness from their part since they see how it makes them feel, also since so many do it to lose weight so they associate every other way of eating with their fat past. However, I do believe that the human body is more designed for such a diet since it makes sustaining long periods of fasting more easy. It's not like our ancestors were eating 3+ meals at day with snacks in between. Not to mention the havoc that grain based diets have on teeth health.

This idea that fiber is needed, at least to prevent constipation is also highly debated. I don't want to derail the thread, but you can check it out online. There are people who follow this diet called zero carb. They eat nothing but meat and have no perceived health issues.

GiantBeagle

Neo Member
Wait a second. You can order cheap while also ordering a lot.

Instead of spending over $5 on a big mac combo, mcgriddle combo, or double quarter pounder combo, why not try

- cheeseburger
- mcchicken
- mcdouble

For under $5. You can still order a drink if you want and still be at $5.

Sorry, did you misquote? I didn't remotely mention price as an issue and have no idea what you're arguing with here.

That said I'll usually go all out and spend like £10 on the signature burgers or whatever because they taste real good.

TheContact

Who’s gonna order a goddamn side salad or a plain hamburger at McDonald’s. If people want to eat healthy they aren’t fucking going to fast food joints.

Falchion

I don't get how lower calories means healthier. If you need 1,500 calories for dinner because you didn't have time to eat much earlier in the day, these meals would leave you starving.

IceCold

If you're on a super strict diet, why the fuck would you eat at a fast food joint?

This

Well you can go somewhere like in-n-out and ask for lettuce bun burgers for example.

I don't get how lower calories means healthier. If you need 1,500 calories for dinner because you didn't have time to eat much earlier in the day, these meals would leave you starving.

That only happens if you eat a carb heavy diet. But yes, in general eating at a caloric deficit is unsustainable, hence why diets that are based on it usually don't work in the long term.

Top Bottom