• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history behind The destruction of Black Wall Street (1921 bombings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes i see Black Wall street mentioned in race related threads so i thought id up an article on the 1921 travesty that happened in a thriving black community in Oklahoma.
After the recent The white guy in the iconic 1968 photo of two black USA Olympians w/ raised fists thread i thought some might interested in another piece of unmentioned history.:

tulsa_race_riot_caro_article-small_28006.jpg

http://www.ebony.com/black-history/the-destruction-of-black-wall-street-405

Greenwood, Oklahoma, a suburb of Tulsa, was the type of community that African Americans are still, today, attempting to reclaim and rebuild. It was modern, majestic, sophisticated and unapologetically Black. Tragically, it was also the site of one of the bloodiest and most horrendous race riots (and acts of terrorism) that the United States has ever experienced.

Today marks ninety-two years since as many as 300 African Americans lost their lives and more than 9,000 were left homeless when the small town was attacked, looted and literally burned to the ground beginning in 1921. It’s impossible, however, to realize what was lost in Greenwood, which was affectionately known as "Black Wall Street."

The Greenwood community seems almost imagined when we examine it through a historical lens. The oil booms of the early 1900’s had many moving to Tulsa for a shot at quick economic gains and high life, and African Americans hoped to prosper from the new industry as well. Tulsa, like many cities and towns throughout the US, was hostilely segregated, with African Americans settling into the northern region of the city. As we often saw before integration, Blacks in the area created entrepreneurial opportunities for themselves, which housed an impressive business center that included banks, hotels, cafes, clothiers, movie theaters, and contemporary homes. Greenwood residents enjoyed many luxuries that their White neighbors did not, including indoor plumbing and a remarkable school system that superiorly educated Black children.

It was pure envy, and a vow to put progressive, high achieving African Americans in their place that would cause the demise of the Black Mecca many called “Little Africa”, and its destruction began the way much terrorism, violence and dispossession against African Americans did during that era. A young White woman accused a young Black man of attempted sexual assault, which gave local mobs and White men acting as police just cause to invade the unsuspecting community. On the malevolent and horrifying attack, Linda Christenson writes the following:

"The term “race riot” does not adequately describe the events of May 31—June 1, 1921 in Greenwood... In fact, the term itself implies that both blacks and whites might be equally to blame for the lawlessness and violence. The historical record documents a sustained and murderous assault on black lives and property. This assault was met by a brave but unsuccessful armed defense of their community by some black World War I veterans and others.

During the night and day of the riot, deputized whites killed more than 300 African Americans. They looted and burned to the ground 40 square blocks of 1,265 African American homes, including hospitals, schools, and churches, and destroyed 150 businesses. White deputies and members of the National Guard arrested and detained 6,000 black Tulsans who were released only upon being vouched for by a white employer or other white citizen. Nine thousand African Americans were left homeless and lived in tents well into the winter of 1921."

Recently, the mother of a Palestian activist friend of mine asked me why African Americans don’t fight harder for reparations. It was a difficult question to answer, but my most immediate response centered on the historical erasure of communities like Greenwood and the state-sponsored violence against African Americans that created its expiry. Even after slavery was abolished, any advancements towards the American dream, that Blacks paid most dearly to establish, was met with revulsion and terror, often from those whose legal obligation was to serve and protect. For that a debt is surely owed. Further, when we consider the deaths of those Black Tulsans and the inevitable property loss that followed, we again see one example of many that proves how wealth inequities and disparities became a part of the substance of this nation- inequities and disparities that must be considered before we go blaming Black youth for the catastrophes this nation has endorsed.

And as we consider what has become the new face of terror, we should never forget that Greenwood was bombed from the sky by White local and national law enforcement organizations.

another link (long read)
http://sfbayview.com/2011/02/what-happened-to-black-wall-street-on-june-1-1921/

Once in a while, when walking through that neighborhood, I'll remember what happened and get chills. The city has done a half-assed job at fixing things or even commemorating. It's some bullshit that the memorial space is called Reconciliation Park or some nonsense. Also, no there are no black-owned business in the area as far as I can tell.

Ms.Galaxy

I like the part where almost none of these tragedies are mentioned in the history books back in K-12 schools. Just like how I love the fact they skim over the horrors of slavery for the most part and made Martin Luther King Jr. and the civil rights movement look like they sat in front of public buildings singing kumbaya. Can't make white people feel uncomfortable, you know.

People really need to know history like this, less we become doom to repeat it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
During the 16 hours of the assault, more than 800 people were admitted to local white hospitals with injuries (the two black hospitals were burned down), and police arrested and detained more than 6,000 black Greenwood residents at three local facilities.[2]:108–109 An estimated 10,000 blacks were left homeless, and 35 city blocks composed of 1,256 residences were destroyed by fire, resulting in over $26 million in damages. The official count of the dead by the Oklahoma Department of Vital Statistics was 39, but other estimates of black fatalities vary from 55 to about 300.[2]:108, 228 [3]
The events of the riot were long omitted from local and state histories. "The Tulsa race riot of 1921 was rarely mentioned in history books, classrooms or even in private. Blacks and whites alike grew into middle age unaware of what had taken place."[4] With the number of survivors declining, in 1996, the state legislature commissioned a report to establish the historical record of the events, and acknowledge the victims and damages to the black community. Released in 2001, the report included the commission's recommendations for some compensatory actions, most of which were not implemented by the state and city governments. The state passed legislation to establish some scholarships for descendants of survivors, economic development of Greenwood, and a memorial park to the victims in Tulsa. The latter was dedicated in 2010.

The sick fucks burned two hospitals to the ground.

The riot occurred in the racially and politically tense atmosphere of post-World War I northeastern Oklahoma. The territory, which was declared a state on November 16, 1907, had received many settlers from the South who had been slaveholders before the American Civil War. In the early 20th century, lynchings were common in Oklahoma, as part of a continuing effort by whites to assert and maintain white supremacy. Between the declaration of statehood and the Tulsa race riot 13 years later, 31 persons were lynched in Oklahoma; 26 were black and nearly all were men and boys. During the twenty years following the riot, the number of lynchings statewide fell to two.[5]

The newly created state legislature passed racial segregation laws, commonly known as Jim Crow laws, as one of its first orders of business. Its 1907 constitution and laws had voter registration rules that disfranchised most blacks; this also barred them from serving on juries or in local office, a situation that lasted until the federal Voting Rights Act of 1965, part of civil rights legislation passed by the U.S. Congress. Major cities passed their own restrictions.

On August 16, 1916, Tulsa passed an ordinance forbidding blacks or whites from residing on any block where three-fourths or more of the residents were of the other race. This made residential segregation mandatory in the city. Although the United States Supreme Court declared the ordinance unconstitutional the next year, it remained on the books.[2]
As cities absorbed returning veterans into the labor market following World War I, there was social tension and anti-black sentiment. At the same time, black veterans pushed to have their civil rights enforced, believing they had earned full citizenship by military service. In what became known as the "Red Summer" of 1919, industrial cities across the Midwest and North experienced severe race riots, often led by ethnic whites among recent immigrant groups, who competed mostly with blacks for jobs. In Chicago and some other cities, blacks defended themselves for the first time with force but were outnumbered.
Northeastern Oklahoma had an economic slump that put men out of work. Since 1915, the Ku Klux Klan had been growing in urban chapters across the country, particularly since veterans had been returning from the war. It first appeared in Oklahoma in a major way on August 12, 1921, less than three months after the Tulsa riot.[6] The historian Charles Alexander estimated that by the end of 1921, Tulsa had 3,200 residents in the Klan.[6] The city population was 72,000 in 1920.[7]

The traditionally black district of Greenwood in Tulsa had a commercial district so prosperous that it was known as "the Negro Wall Street" (now commonly referred to as "the Black Wall Street"). Blacks had created their own businesses and services in their enclave, including several groceries, two independent newspapers, two movie theaters, nightclubs, and numerous churches. Black professionals—doctors, dentists, lawyers, and clergy—served the community. Because of residential segregation in the city, most classes of blacks lived together in Greenwood. They selected their own leaders, and there was capital formation within the community. In the surrounding areas of northeastern Oklahoma, blacks also enjoyed relative prosperity and participated in the oil boom.[8]

And this doesn't even include the all of the communities that were ruined throughout the 20th century due to the racist laws enacted to make sure blacks couldn't succeed

Its hard to even describe the systematic racism and overt racism that has prevented the black community from succeeding and why it's infuriating to see rhetoric blaming the current situation on people not working hard enough

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm almost surprised that communities like this haven't been referenced by republicans as an example of black people pulling up their 'bootstraps' and doing well for themselves.

M-PG71C

This makes me very sad that history like this is buried out. And people wonder why the wealth gap exists. Hard to build generational wealth and security when it's taken away from you constantly.

Thank you for posting this. A perfect reminder to all of the bigots and racists that even when "bootstraps" were tightened as they say, it still wasn't enough. Fucking horrible.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's fucking insane that this happened, and it's even more insane that people don't know about this shit.

Jackpot

Banned
I've only ever encountered this story twice in my life, and both times on GAF. 99% of people won't even know it happened.

I wonder if Americans really know how sub-human the treatment of blacks was and that at times they literally had to fight for their lives, or if they all think it was nothing but a bunch of marches and pressuring politicians on legislation.

I'm almost surprised that communities like this haven't been referenced by republicans as an example of black people pulling up their 'bootstraps' and doing well for themselves.

Well Republicans can't use it due to the whole racists burning it to ground angle.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Holy crap I had no idea about this and I like to know my obscure history. These forgotten history threads, keep them coming everyone.

These two get overlooked a lot but the Wilmington insurrection of 1898, and the South Carolina riots of 1876 are two more examples. Interestingly enough both of these attacks were politically motivated to retake the Carolina coast from the Black republicans that were seizing majority control at the time. Both attacks were planned and orchestrated by white Carolina democrats.

Particularly from the Wilmington riot
the event is credited as ushering in an era of severe racial segregation and disenfranchisement of African-Americans throughout the Southeastern United States. Laura Edwards wrote in Democracy Betrayed (2000), "What happened in Wilmington became an affirmation of white supremacy not just in that one city, but in the South and in the nation as a whole."[1]

Wish I was some kind of director because these are the films I'd put out there. Not tired of slavery movies but the end of black oppression never stopped there.

rush777

I've never heard of this and I'm fucking disgusted. Totally disagreed with reparations but this makes me competely reconsider my stance being so recent.

ezrarh

Let's not forget that during the building of our interstate highway system in the 50s and 60s, we destroyed a lot black and ethnic neighborhoods for the sake of letting white people move into and out of cities faster.

zashga

Holy shit, I never learned about this in any history class, that's for sure.

When I attended high school in Oklahoma, this was covered as the Tulsa Race Riots. They didn't really describe the prosperity of the Greenwood community, or the one-sided nature of the conflict. It was more or less "some black guy got accused of a rape that he probably didn't commit, then blacks and whites both died in the riots, mostly blacks."

Whether that's better or worse than not covering the incident at all, I'm not sure. I have a much different perspective of these events now, after learning more about the scale of the atrocities and the community that was destroyed.

FyreWulff

Once in a while, when walking through that neighborhood, I'll remember what happened and get chills. The city has done a half-assed job at fixing things or even commemorating. It's some bullshit that the memorial space is called Reconciliation Park or some nonsense. Also, no there are no black-owned business in the area as far as I can tell.

Fuckers even re-zoned the area right after the massacre to block the black businesses from rebuilding.

Bleepey

Fuckers even re-zoned the area right after the massacre to block the black businesses from rebuilding.

Jesus that's cartoonishly devious. Communities like these are why I was pissed when there was a GAFFER advocating rioting during the Ferguson riots. I was like dude would this bullshit be happening if communities had stores owned by someone's brother, mother, father, uncle, auntie or person that shared the same background as them? Unlikely. I recall seeing news articles about how the Ferguson riot lead to more African Americans buying from black-owned stores. I know from FB I see various initiatives related to this.

Thanks for sharing OP. It's always interesting to learn more about the history of racism/terrorism and how its effects echo into today;

george_us

Wow I never knew about any of this. Makes it even more laughable that some people actually think the US is a meritocracy and black people just "Aren't working hard enough."

Volimar

We had a thread on this not too long ago if anyone wants to go digging. The fact that this was kept hidden for so long is disgraceful.

SeanC

I grew up in Oklahoma.

In Junior High it's required to take state history.

No mention of anything about Black Wall Street.

The state didn't even acknowledge it until 2001 from what I read.

The stories of the racial violence against dozens of black communities in the 20s is absolutely terrifying.
Scholars suggest racist whites became more threatened and thus more brazen in their violence in this period due to black soldiers, having returned from WW1, beginning to take up arms and putting up a fight against white terror.

It's quite eery how consistently passions were inflamed by a story, true or false, of a black man raping a white woman. Dylan Roof was motivated by that same classic racist imagery of the black brute in 2015.

Anion

I'm greatly saddened that I didn't know about this stuff and I had taken AP US history in high school and a few American history classes in college. Not even once were these cities talked about

RS4-

I've read about it over the years, but it's covered up in a lot of typical bullshit to paint the black man as the bad one.

And it's always sad to hear that the truth and the stories behind them are not widely known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom