• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history behind The destruction of Black Wall Street (1921 bombings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africanus

It's always a pleasure to hear how they used leftover WWI planes to bombard the neighborhood.
I mean can you imagine returning from war only to have it return?

I will admit that I only learned of this even last year via A.P. U.S. history, which mentioned it as an atrocity but did not go as fully in-depth as needed.

It's always infuriating hearing the "Black people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps" horseshit when those bootstraps keep getting burned to the ground.

But black history is all about a subway to Canada

dead2.gif

FyreWulff

I'm greatly saddened that I didn't know about this stuff and I had taken AP US history in high school and a few American history classes in college. Not even once were these cities talked about

The car is also always taught as a great invention and the highway system was awesome.

What they never mention is that the building of highways and freeways were routinely used to wipe minority neighborhoods off the map and wall them off from the rest of the city when they couldn't.

First time I found out about this was from NeoGAF. There was absolutely zero mention of this in class when we dealt with history concerning the US.

I would love to see this used as the go to response to people who suggest that black people need to pull up their boot straps.

BigDes

Yeah. There is a massive disconnect between reality and what kids are taught about the empire.

Really?

Seems like its changed from when I were a lad

Back then it was The British were utter shits to everyone buut also marginally less evil than the other colonial powers.

Tough to decide which is sadder. When folks of all stripes say blacks deserve less or need to wait for a better time. Or when blacks drive over the Woodrow Wilson bridge without a second thought, talk about the roaring 20s under guys like Coolidge, celebrate the work of Bill Clinton, etc. I just don't know what we can do to start taking the steps to make things right.

Ledhead

I never knew about this. While tragic, this is an interesting and important bit of history. Thanks for sharing

TheYanger

Shit is sickening to read, I'm not surprised it happened, sadly, more surprised it's the kind of shit you don't hear about. and then, not surprised at that either :/

I went to a minority dominated school in the mid 90s too, you'd think this kind of shit would come up during things like the LA riots and OJ trial and all of that, it was definitely not the sort of subject that would've been out of place with what we talked about, but reality is so much worse than what they want you to believe it was sometimes I guess.

So crazy that the catalyst for most of these stories is black man + white woman= angry white mob

White women were (and still are) seen less as individuals and more as property, to see a black man with something they "owned" especially in the 20s was an affront equal to denying God. So they feel the need to put those blacks in their place. Also there's the whole "they're raping our women" narrative...that's still prevalent today (despite the fact from the 1600s to early 1900s...racist white men were in fact raping black women with no consequence).

Then add in many times there was no white woman, it's just a convenient boogeyman they could use to justify the murders.

I was telling my wife about this a couple weeks ago. She was shocked she had never heard about it before. She has a lot more faith in humanity than me.

FStubbs

I'm almost surprised that communities like this haven't been referenced by republicans as an example of black people pulling up their 'bootstraps' and doing well for themselves.

Because then you'd have to point out that it was conservatives that destroyed those communities.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's exactly the kind of historical atrocity you'd expect to find in a high school history book, to give a substantive example of the harrowing events taking place even post-slavery before the civil rights movement. They tend to gloss over things talking about separate water fountains and such without getting to the truest heart of the matter. I don't remember anything like this being taught in school, and it should have been.

FStubbs

That's a.... great idea.

I really think now the time is right for a whole hell of a lot of movies and TV to highlight these hidden histories.

They did make a movie about Rosewood. But yeah, there need to be more.

And I'm not sure half the people who watched Rosewood didn't think it was just "generic movie about Jim Crow".

FStubbs

The stories of the racial violence against dozens of black communities in the 20s is absolutely terrifying.
Scholars suggest racist whites became more threatened and thus more brazen in their violence in this period due to black soldiers, having returned from WW1, beginning to take up arms and putting up a fight against white terror.

It's quite eery how consistently passions were inflamed by a story, true or false, of a black man raping a white woman. Dylan Roof was motivated by that same classic racist imagery of the black brute in 2015.

Or Maine's governor LePage.

Not a lot has changed. Now instead of violence, any internal attempt to build successful and supportive black communities are met with cries of "reverse racism" and "I understand the reason for supporting black businesses but it is simply racist and doesn't help."

Charges no other ethnic community seems to have continually lobbed at it despite it blatantly being how many such communities build economic power and sufficiency.

Bleepey

They did make a movie about Rosewood. But yeah, there need to be more.

And I'm not sure half the people who watched Rosewood didn't think it was just "generic movie about Jim Crow".

I heard the failure of this film was one of the reasons black films like this are not made? Spike Lee argued it's easier to make another Tyler Perry film than it is for John Singleton to make another Rosewood because the former can make shitty films that are reviewed poorly that make a shit tonne of money, the latter makes a well-reviewed film that flops.

See this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciwhh3fB6vE

Edit I know he was talking specifically about Boyz N the Hood rather than Tyler Perry but still.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Black people in Hollywood need to put their money together (or just borrow from Oprah) and make movies on events like these. This is absolutely horrifying stuff, and hell even the perfect tragedy for Oscars.

Regardless of the cynicism in my post above, I think its important that these events get put on film. I had no clue that this happened.

TalonJH

The part that always gets me is that there were fucking planes throwing fire bombs from above. It was less a riot and more a war. I don't think "riot" does it justice.

Black people in Hollywood need to put their money together (or just borrow from Oprah) and make movies on events like these. This is absolutely horrifying stuff, and hell even the perfect tragedy for Oscars.

Regardless of the cynicism in my post above, I think its important that these events get put on film. I had no clue that this happened.

I agree about the lack of films about it. I think people are mostly just too afraid of it(also a lack of knowledge). I mean, people raised a fuss about the Jackie Robinson film and that's freaking baseball. Would love to see this with a big budget told from a young black female perspective as the lead.

As a Tulsan, thank you for sharing this to GAF.

This is a such a dark moment for the city, I still remember reading about this when I was 15 years old in Oklahoma History class and breaking down crying. I just won't understand why races have to hate each other to the point that they will destroy communities because of one crazy rumor.

All there is left of Greenwood is a barber shop, a burger joint, and the Tulsa Drillers baseball field. So thank you OP for sharing this.

D i Z

So that the history of these events can get buried and ignored by the masses all over again? Sure, there are those that wouldn't turn a blind eye to media that would bring this to light. Many would support it. But lets be honest, most white people would rather burn themselves with hot utensils than have to sit through a couple of hours of expose' on their own ugly history. These events do not begin, nor end with those fateful days and nights.
In any event, any of Black Hollywood that comes hard with something like this had better make peace with their careers to that point. Because they sure as hell aren't going to have that, or anything else after.

Azih

So that the history of these events can get buried and ignored by the masses all over again? Sure, there are those that wouldn't turn a blind eye to media that would bring this to light. Many would support it. But lets be honest, most white people would rather burn themselves with hot utensils than have to sit through a couple of hours of expose' on their own ugly history.

Yeah but with the recent shitshow over #OscarsSoWhite the time is right to make it really impossible for serious historical period drama of this sort to be overlooked come awards season.

SeanC

As a Tulsan, thank you for sharing this to GAF.

This is a such a dark moment for the city, I still remember reading about this when I was 15 years old in Oklahoma History class and breaking down crying. I just won't understand why races have to hate each other to the point that they will destroy communities because of one crazy rumor.

When did you take your Oklahoma History class? I'm assuming it was post 1999 (when the state actually started to mention it)?

In the early/mid-90s when I took the state history class (around 15/16 also), no mention of anything about this. Now with hindsight, I'm pretty angry it was never brought up.

Bleepey

So that the history of these events can get buried and ignored by the masses all over again? Sure, there are those that wouldn't turn a blind eye to media that would bring this to light. Many would support it. But lets be honest, most white people would rather burn themselves with hot utensils than have to sit through a couple of hours of expose' on their own ugly history. These events do not begin, nor end with those fateful days and nights.

Considering how popular hood movies , Tyler Perry films and even 12 years a slave are, why do you think it's unrealistic Black People will pay for these films or that they won't have mainstream appeal. I'd add Spike Lee films to that too.

Considering how popular hood movies , Tyler Perry films and even 12 years a slave are, why do you think it's unrealistic Black People will pay for these films or that they won't have mainstream appeal. I'd add Spike Lee films to that too.
Selma came out one year ago, was well-reviewed, and had Oprah in it, and white people didn't care. We'd even get people saying dumbass shit about BLM bridge blocks and marches like "MLK would've never done that" despite there being this recent mainstream movie about exactly that.

Spike Lee has to use Kickstarter to make movies now.

D i Z

Yeah but with the recent shitshow over #OscarsSoWhite the time is right to make it really impossible for serious historical period drama of this sort to be overlooked come awards season.

How many people actually watched 12 Years a Slave? Award season is fluff. It has nothing to do with the masses being educated, or even willing to embrace history or each other.

The bolded raised my eyebrows. Might as well add the Wayan movies to the list.

Also, Spike Lee has been very vocal about how well his films do, broken down by demographic. He's also very vocal about how many doors have been shut to him and the people that he's worked with because of "controversial" subject matter.

Amazing Post OP, great read.

I love and hate reading these sorts of things, and its even more infuriating knowing some of this history will go unnoticed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy, terrible stuff... Using airplanes to bomb the town with dynamite? What in the world?

Really sad that this stuff has historically been swept under the rug. I guess we can only be thankful that the Internet has allowed for this stuff to be surfaced a bit more.

Azih

How many people actually watched 12 Years a Slave? Award season is fluff. It has nothing to do with the masses being educated, or even willing to embrace history or each other.
12 years a Slave is far more 'tame' subject matter as everyone agrees how terrible slavery was. Comparatively recent events that many desperately want to forget or have been pretty successfully brushed under the carpet are far more astonishing.

And I'm not saying that any one movie will suddenly change the mindset of an entire nation. A steady stream of these kinds of movies and the publicity bump that they are much more likely to get now because of a suddenly far more confident and active and vocal set of African American celebrities around awards season would be incredibly effective in continuing to shift the conversation though.

D i Z

12 years a Slave is far more 'tame' subject matter as everyone agrees how terrible slavery was. Comparatively recent events that many desperately want to forget or have been pretty successfully brushed under the carpet are far more astonishing.

And I'm not saying that any one movie will suddenly change the mindset of an entire nation. A steady stream of these kinds of movies and the publicity bump that they are much more likely to get now because of a suddenly far more confident and active and vocal set of African American celebrities around awards season would be incredibly effective in continuing to shift the conversation though.

About as effective as campaigning to have this history placed back into our text books with the proper, truthful context.

Sounds ludicrous and damn near impossible doesn't it? Now get a handful of black Hollywood types to do what has been attempted by other black industry folk and allies for decades, and suddenly pull it off.
Shit, even PBS is under fire, under funded, and threatened for their historical and educational content.

Azih

About as effective as campaigning to have this history placed back into our text books with the proper, truthful context.

Sounds ludicrous and damn near impossible doesn't it? Now get a handful of black Hollywood types to do what has been attempted by other black industry folk and allies for decades, and suddenly pull it off.
Shit, even PBS is under fire, under funded, and threatened for their historical and educational content.

I'm not even sure what you're saying honestly. It's all futile and do nothing?

jmood88

Stuff like this is why the "just build your own" refrain is, and always will be, bullshit. You can't make your own anything when there is a group of people who feel like any gains made by others is harmful to them.

D i Z

I'm not even sure what you're saying honestly. It's all futile and do nothing?

No, not really. I guess I'm saying that it's going to take a more concerted effort than "those people over there should do something about it". Same old bullshit sympathy from a distance line. Same old acceptable solutions to immediate hand wringing that goes nowhere. Addressing the issue of the history being buried, but not the reality of the state of black communities today, and what can be done for the people left in the wake of all of this. Nothing changes if it's always someone else's fight and not OUR fight.

When did you take your Oklahoma History class? I'm assuming it was post 1999 (when the state actually started to mention it)?

In the early/mid-90s when I took the state history class (around 15/16 also), no mention of anything about this. Now with hindsight, I'm pretty angry it was never brought up.

It was 2007 when I was a freshman in high school, I didn't even know they didn't talked about it, we talked about it for at least a week.

VariantX

I feel awful that I didn't even know about this until I was in my late twenties. Huge tragedies like this just swept under the rug by folks who would rather see you forget.

I remember my first time reading about this. It still boils my blood. Especially when I hear people talk as if the harm that America has done to blacks was done over 150 years ago.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I read about this a while ago. The thing that shocked me the most was the usage of actual warplanes to bomb the population. Pure insanity. That was well beyond race riot and almost into civil war territory.

Regarding films et all, Cinemax's The Knick (which is excellent, quite easily one of the best shows on TV) features a episode set during a fictionalized version of the Tenderloin's 1900 race riot. While made up for the show, it was incredibly tense and revolting at the same time.

SeanC

It was 2007 when I was a freshman in high school, I didn't even know they didn't talked about it, we talked about it for at least a week.

Yeah, the state didn't start acknowledging it until 2001 after a three year "inquiry" (whatever that means) that started in 1999.

Essentially they were ashamed and hid it for 80 or so years. "Oh, hundreds of people died and a community pretty much wiped from the history books? Yeah, we should maybe give that a nod." - Someone finally said.

Might as well whitewash the Trail of Tears while you're at it where thousands of Native Americans died. Oklahoma history is kind of f'd up. Then again, US history is in general. I didn't learn about Japanese Internment Camps until I was in college and that's absolutely something that should be general education in a US history class.

IrishNinja

goddamn, that hit like a ton of bricks - knew of the incident, but not the full scope. and of course it was a rape accusation on a black dude to justify the atrocities

I recently retold this tragedy to a few friends. They didn't believe me at first.

aside: had the exact same reaction (several times, in fact) explaining the us gov'ts hand in the crack epidemic. shit i thought common knowledge gets called "conspiracy theory" even in recent years

That's what I was always told too but how can we explain the recent rewriting of history regarding the civil war and reasons behind it?

hey now, it's about state's rights, pal
the right to own people

Stuff like this is why the "just build your own" refrain is, and always will be, bullshit. You can't make your own anything when there is a group of people who feel like any gains made by others is harmful to them.

true
what's even worse is just imagine a district like this today, and the amount of discrediting/etc it would get - by those usually cheering the loudest about entrepreneurship/etc...it'd be an ugly symbol of how little we've come from then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom