• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history behind The destruction of Black Wall Street (1921 bombings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is also always taught as a great invention and the highway system was awesome.

What they never mention is that the building of highways and freeways were routinely used to wipe minority neighborhoods off the map and wall them off from the rest of the city when they couldn't.

This.

A perfect example right here in New Orleans they built a freeway through the vibrant treme neighborhood and it never recovered. It's still there despite numerous studies showing that it actually slows down the flow of traffic.

Sad to admit I have never heard the story in the OP but I'll be subscribing to this thread and reading each and every link now. Thank you to the OP and anyone else who contributes to this thread

Edit: holy shit I finally made member! I'm proud to have had it happen in this thread

Might as well whitewash the Trail of Tears while you're at it where thousands of Native Americans died. Oklahoma history is kind of f'd up. Then again, US history is in general. I didn't learn about Japanese Internment Camps until I was in college and that's absolutely something that should be general education in a US history class.

I remember reading those Dear America diary novels which had a novel about a young boy who was forced out of his home in San Francisco about the JICs. Murica at its finest

Glad to see this getting attention. This is why the whole "Black people need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps" is fucking bullshit.

When we do shit like this goes down by jealous motherfuckers.

It's fucking insane that this happened, and it's even more insane that people don't know about this shit.

Yup and local/state officials tend to turn a blind eye.

Chariot

I only learned about this last year when it was brought up on GAF. Terrible event and even mote terrible that it's buried. The states need to lower the self appreciation and start to deal with shit like this in school.

I never knew about Black Wall Street till exactly yesterday. That is fucking crazy. I always thought Mlk, Malcom X, etc were the only important figures of our Black History. But no these events, I wish were taught to me in high school...

Sulik2

The horrible history of racism and genocide in the USA that is just completely buried from our history books is maddening.

That's what I was always told too but how can we explain the recent rewriting of history regarding the civil war and reasons behind it?

Thats happening because the reasons behind the civil war were never clearly taught. It wasn't about state's rights and slavery was only tangential. It was economic. The north was changing as a society and moving to an industrialized economy and the south was agriculturally based. The war was about which way the country would develop economically. As with most things in human history it was actually about money.

Its easy to skew history one way or another when garbage like states rights or it was about slavery are taught as the reasons for a conflict that was economic in origin and had nothing to do with idealism.

Mass One

The horrible history of racism and genocide in the USA that is just completely buried from our history books is maddening.

Thats happening because the reasons behind the civil war were never clearly taught. It wasn't about state's rights and slavery was only tangential. It was economic. The north was changing as a society and moving to an industrialized economy and the south was agriculturally based. The war was about which way the country would develop economically. As with most things in human history it was actually about money.

Its easy to skew history one way or another when garbage like states rights or it was about slavery are taught as the reasons for a conflict that was economic in origin and had nothing to do with idealism.

It was most certainly was Slavery.
Here's a informative video.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

It was economic in the sense that the southern economy was entirely based on slavery, sure.

Slavery wasn't some tangent. It was the bloody principle reason. I mean shit the secedding states even made this known. The southern economy literally live or died with slavery. Abe wanted to abolish it, by abolishing slavery guess what? You fuck up the economy of the south. Thus they said nah fuck that we'll keep our slave-negroes (and by proxy our economy going).

Slavery and economy are one and the same. There was no economy in the south without slavery.

You might want to read the seceding states' reason for their secession in case there was any confusion.

Declaration of Causes of Secession

Georgia

The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery.

Mississippi

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union.

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

Texas

A Declaration of the Causes which Impel the State of Texas to Secede from the Federal Union.

The government of the United States, by certain joint resolutions, bearing date the 1st day of March, in the year A.D. 1845, proposed to the Republic of Texas, then *a free, sovereign and independent nation* [emphasis in the original], the annexation of the latter to the former, as one of the co-equal states thereof,

The people of Texas, by deputies in convention assembled, on the fourth day of July of the same year, assented to and accepted said proposals and formed a constitution for the proposed State, upon which on the 29th day of December in the same year, said State was formally admitted into the Confederated Union.

Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

On so forth and so forth.

Trying to separate slavery from the southern economy is like trying to separate oxygen from water and proclaiming that oxygen has nothing to do with the creation/formation of water.

FyreWulff

Multiple states cited keeping slavery as the reason they were seceding in their "we're leaving" letters to the US.

Also look up the Cornerstone Speech, in which one of the top dogs of the Confederacy states the entire point of the Confederacy is slavery and ownership of the black person:

Cornerstone Speech said:
The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization.

The Civil War was about slavery.

Daigoro

holy fuck this is a sad and fucked up story. i missed the last thread and have never heard this one either.

First time i hear about all that stuff.

America has a seriously fucked up past.

oh yes we do (and a pretty fucked up present in many ways), as does the rest of the colonized world. we arent that exceptional.

but yeah, we do.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
oh yes we do (and a pretty fucked up present in many ways), as does the rest of the colonized world. we arent that exceptional.

but yeah, we do.

And this is the reason we need to reminds ourselves about our fucked up past whenever possible. We need to understand the conditions that allowed such fucked up examples of human-induced tragedy to occur to both put our present socio-political world in historical context and so that we might see the next one coming and prevent it from happening.

atr0cious

Bumping because of Black History Month but also an update:

Oklahoma is looking at passing a bill to require state schools to teach it. So far, it's been supported and passed the Senate but it's about to go up to the House.

What I want to know is...why are there six pieces of shit voting against it? Oh, I read their excuses, and it's bullshit.

Oklahoma has one of the nations largest KKK compounds in it, and was one of the only complete red states during Obama's election. Lovely state.

SeanC

An update from 2013...

Oh, sorry. Oops. It was emailed to me and I didn't see the date.

Edit: Actually, there was an update...

...apparently the bill was never heard in front of Congress. The reason:

“And the politically correct vote would have been to vote in favor of it. And I just think we as a society have to move away with what is politically correct on these issues.” - Sen. Josh Brecheen

Dai101

Banned

“And the politically correct vote would have been to vote in favor of it. And I just think we as a society have to move away with what is politically correct on these issues.” - Sen. Josh Brecheen

Legislative Experience: Senate Member, 2010 - present
Hometown: Coalgate, Oklahoma
Party: Republican

FVIbmEQ.jpg

I for one am shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YA'

Nikodemos

The amount of mental gymnastics in that statement would make Nadia Comaneci envious.

And the subtle self-victimisation is a perfect icing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom