• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

Question to all of you; Do you practice neck cranks in your gym? Calf slicers? bicep slicers? electric chair? heel hooks? can opener? crucifix?

Yes to all of them. Heel hooks especially. The leglock game is centered around them. IMO, if you do no-gi, you must learn the leglock game and if you learn the leglock game, you have to start with ankle locks and heel hooks. With reaping.

Electric chair is a really high percentage half guard sweep. The stretching of the groin aspect is actually a legal submission at all levels of IBJJF adult tournaments.

Calf slicers and bicep slicers are kinda difficult to get on high level guys. I don't go for bicep slicers very often but I have a few setups for calf slicers.

Crucifix is one of my go to back attacks. I think it's a highly underrated position.

The only neck crank I'll really go for is the Twister and it's rare I'll get that on a good guy. I'll use the neck crank to set up an RNC but it's never used as a Plan A submissions. Neck cranks have an interesting history. They are used in catch as catch can because in old CACC rulesets, they allowed people to win by pinfall - like modern folk and freestyle wrestling, in addition to submissions. To avoid the pin in wrestling, many people will get to the turtle position - or four points. In CACC, there are various neck cranks you can do from there to force the opponent to turn over and concede a pin or else he'll tap. I think there is a lot of work to be done on neck cranks as I'm not sure how where they fit into the positional aspects of grappling yet.

One positive. Today I got a kid while in my guard when he put his hands on the mat. Instant arm bar. Any tips against blue belts??

There's really no universal tips I have that will work against blue belts. A guy who got his blue belt last week is going to roll a lot differently than a guy who's gonna get promoted to purple next week. The gap is often 2-3 years in terms of experience. My summation of a blue belt is that they have really one dimensional games. That is, they have one or two moves from a few positions they can hit consistently but have gaping holes elsewhere. When they begin to recognize those gaping holes, they are ready for purple.

The only thing I'm good at are escapes and basic defense. The only people I can submit are people my level or under me. I've gotten lucky on a blue belt but for all I know that could have been given to me to boost confidence. Otherwise I feel like I'm a boulder thrown into water. I think I'm finally able to swim with the fishes until I realize I'm still a boulder, haha. I need to learn how to pull the trigger. But when I do, I'm always out thought and predicted haha.

I've been studying on how to improve as a white belt all weekend.

I'm not rushing for my blue belt. I know that's far off, but still.

Probably the most useful article I've seen. Could be good for Brerlappin too.

http://www.grapplearts.com/what-do-white-belts-need-to-learn-in-their-1st-year-of-bjj/

Is it normal to be scared/nervous before doing bjj? Months in and I still get the butterflies and self conscious before going. Does it ever stop? It always leaves as soon as I get on the mats but the drive to the school is always stressful for whatever reason and it takes a lot of my guts to open those doors and step in. But as soon as I'm inside I feel better.
It's a normal feeling. Myself, I get an excited feeling going to class and if I'm away for a couple days I feel this almost ill feeling deep in my gut telling me that I need to get back on the mats ASAP.

It's a normal feeling. Myself, I get an excited feeling going to class and if I'm away for a couple days I feel this almost ill feeling deep in my gut telling me that I need to get back on the mats ASAP.

It goes back and forth with me. Sometimes I can't stop thinking of the next class and the next class is in two days. The worst is right after a class because "damn, not gonna do some jiu jitsu for two days; can't wait!" so it's something to look forward to. But then if I'm off the mats for a while or if I'm going to a class with lots of upper belts or open mat I get really scared.

It really is a lot to digest. You'll be told as a white belt to keep moving but when you roll against higher belts they'll stay in a position, wait for you to make a mistake because you were told to keep moving, and bamn you've been set up and are now fighting for air or trying to get one of your limbs back.

As far as time spent defending vs time trying submissions. It really doesn't matter, just log in your mat time. Don't be afraid to attempt things because you'll likely fail a hundred times before understanding the technique and then you'll spend another hundred attempts figuring out set ups. Fundamental classes do not deep dive into techniques so that's why many things they teach in fundamentals don't translate into live rolling with experienced grapplers.

It really is a lot to digest. You'll be told as a white belt to keep moving but when you roll against higher belts they'll stay in a position, wait for you to make a mistake because you were told to keep moving, and bamn you've been set up and are now fighting for air or trying to get one of your limbs back.

As far as time spent defending vs time trying submissions. It really doesn't matter, just log in your mat time. Don't be afraid to attempt things because you'll likely fail a hundred times before understanding the technique and then you'll spend another hundred attempts figuring out set ups. Fundamental classes do not deep dive into techniques so that's why many things they teach in fundamentals don't translate into live rolling with experienced grapplers.

So that's why I can submit my fundamentals team mate 6 times in a night but I feel like I'm being smothered when I go against a higher white belt and above?

Base and posture is what most people new to jiu jitsu lack. When you roll with someone new, they are almost diving into your triangles or don't yet understand posture so arm barring them while in your closed guard is as easy as pie.

However, a higher belt who has a base and understands posture will be a lot more difficult to submit. If you haven't been taught to break down someone's base and posture then your subs will fail. For example, faking a sweep attempt will likely get a reaction from your opponent that will increase the percentage of your sub attempt. That chess game is what's makes jiu jitsu beautiful.

My goal for tonights class was "don't get choked". As the last few classes I gave up my neck way too easy. I did better tonight, defended a RNC, and eventually escaped. Kept my arms in and chin tucked the entire time.

And I'm feeling pretty good right now as I sparred with a guy who's beaten me every time, he even beat me tonight, but in our second roll I locked in a triangle on him. Had it nice and tight, had his arm, absolutely no way he was getting out of it, went to really squeeze that fucker and the damn bell rang.
I was like "fuck!! What's the etiquette here!? Keep going or let go!?". I let go. Didn't want to be a douchebag, but I'm totally counting that as a win lol

My goal for tonights class was "don't get choked". As the last few classes I gave up my neck way too easy. I did better tonight, defended a RNC, and eventually escaped. Kept my arms in and chin tucked the entire time.

And I'm feeling pretty good right now as I sparred with a guy who's beaten me every time, he even beat me tonight, but in our second roll I locked in a triangle on him. Had it nice and tight, had his arm, absolutely no way he was getting out of it, went to really squeeze that fucker and the damn bell rang.
I was like "fuck!! What's the etiquette here!? Keep going or let go!?". I let go. Didn't want to be a douchebag, but I'm totally counting that as a win lol

buAtiBm.gif

How'd you get out of the RNC?

Haha thanks!
I just kept defending til he got tired at which point I was able to spin around in his guard. Not exactly super technical but it worked!

I have no idea what to do against RNC's once it's fully on, as I mentioned last page. I can only guess. A blue belt does them to me quite a bit and I have no idea what the fuck. I just end up tapping every time. Good job.

I have no idea what to do against RNC's once it's fully on, as I mentioned last page. I can only guess. A blue belt does them to me quite a bit and I have no idea what the fuck. I just end up tapping every time. Good job.

Yeah it's hard to know what to do. I saw some people saying falling forward so your opponent lands face first into the mat can help throw them off, and I did that but it didn't get me out. I just kept 2 hands on one of his arms and the chin tucked, and it was good enough to defend until he realized it wasn't gonna work!

Yeah it's hard to know what to do. I saw some people saying falling forward so your opponent lands face first into the mat can help throw them off, and I did that but it didn't get me out. I just kept 2 hands on one of his arms and the chin tucked, and it was good enough to defend until he realized it wasn't gonna work!

yeah, I've heard that you're supposed to fall forward but it doesn't work. I guess the general idea is to fall forward to help loosen their grip and then undo it?

ido

Not really a lot to do once it's "fully" on.

Although this is a cool little technique to do when someone takes your back. Neat little stuff in this video if you haven't seen it already:

https://youtu.be/S_zzFhHF5wU

Who else is exited for EBI 8?

https://youtu.be/Y_loiyAhB20

UFC Heavyweight fight on Saturday and EBI 8 on Sunday, sweet weekend!

Watching it on Fight Pass the next day. :)

I'm most excited for the female tournament.

Can't wait to see Grace. She's my idol despite her young age. I can only dream my jiu jitsu gets as good as hers one day. I love how calm she is in such bad spots and how she just manages to work her way out of it, and that explosive energy.

Not really a lot to do once it's "fully" on.

Although this is a cool little technique to do when someone takes your back. Neat little stuff in this video if you haven't seen it already:

https://youtu.be/S_zzFhHF5wU

I figured. :( So the thing with the RNC is prevention to not get into it in the first place?

Alright.

So I went to class with a sort of sinus headache. Mind you, this class is BJJ Fundamentals class.

I get partnered up with a fresh kid who weighs at least 250 pounds. I weigh 150.
This guy is going full intensity during DRILLS. We're doing inside leg sweeps. Dude lands on my leg and I'm legitimately worried I'm injured. It feels like he's going 100% and don't know why. Then during the roll he's rolling as if he's in a competition. I was starting to get nervous.

Thankfully I wasn't hurt. Wtf.

Fox318

Got to work one on one with a judo black belt today.

Man the gi changed so much when it comes to throws and sweeps.

Alright.

So I went to class with a sort of sinus headache. Mind you, this class is BJJ Fundamentals class.

I get partnered up with a fresh kid who weighs at least 250 pounds. I weigh 150.
This guy is going full intensity during DRILLS. We're doing inside leg sweeps. Dude lands on my leg and I'm legitimately worried I'm injured. It feels like he's going 100% and don't know why. Then during the roll he's rolling as if he's in a competition. I was starting to get nervous.

I'm at a new school and so far only went with one big guy like that. 270 pounds (I weigh 175), a white belt who likely wrestled (I have 4 yrs experience and a high level blue belt but am 41 yrs old).

The guy, before the roll, tells me to "go easy" so I let him get on top and then he goes into full intensity mode grinding me out smashing me. My defense is good so I wasn't worried or in danger but I was just shocked at his behavior after telling me to go easy. I laid on my back patiently under him thinking about how badly I was going to humble this kid. I swept him, get my grips for my baseball bat choke, but time expired. I then confronted him and said "go easy?" He said "I was going easy." I left it alone as I'd have another roll with him another day and was thinking the next time I will not let him on top, that I'd make him tap to just my shoulder pressure. Yeah I was still furious inside as he easily outweighed everyone in class by around 100-170 pounds and the class also included older guys and a couple women.

After class ended though he approached me and genuinely apologized for his actions. I still won't "go easy" on him next time though. I don't mean to sound like an enforcer but people of higher rank and higher weight have a responsibility to keep their "training partners" safe. Save that high intensity for the competition classes and tournaments.

I'm at a new school and so far only went with one big guy like that. 270 pounds (I weigh 175), a white belt who likely wrestled (I have 4 yrs experience and a high level blue belt but am 41 yrs old).

The guy, before the roll, tells me to "go easy" so I let him get on top and then he goes into full intensity mode grinding me out smashing me. My defense is good so I wasn't worried or in danger but I was just shocked at his behavior after telling me to go easy. I laid on my back patiently under him thinking about how badly I was going to humble this kid. I swept him, get my grips for my baseball bat choke, but time expired. I then confronted him and said "go easy?" He said "I was going easy." I left it alone as I'd have another roll with him another day and was thinking the next time I will not let him on top, that I'd make him tap to just my shoulder pressure. Yeah I was still furious inside as he easily outweighed everyone in class by around 100-170 pounds and the class also included older guys and a couple women.

After class ended though he approached me and genuinely apologized for his actions. I still won't "go easy" on him next time though. I don't mean to sound like an enforcer but people of higher rank and higher weight have a responsibility to keep their "training partners" safe. Save that high intensity for the competition classes and tournaments.

My thing is, nothing wrong with full intensity, but when you go 150% that's something else entirely. I try to have at least one full intensity roll a class, but not anything that would injure them if they're going 100% along with me.

I tried to humble the guy. He's got a lot less experience than me. Even submitting him didn't stop him. I don't know if he didn't want to "lose" to a girl or what.

At least one thing came of it: I need to practice doing triangle's on someone of that size. Jesus Christ, it was hard wrapping my legs completely around him.

So how did everyone get into bjj? I think I'm different from most people who train jiu jitsu in that MMA was not the catalyst that got me into it. When I watched UFC fights the ground was the least appealing aspect of fights. As someone with experience in striking, I always preferred stand up and didn't get the appeal of ground game or understood what I was watching. When I left Muay Thai and decided to search for a new martial art, I decided to go with something similar in terms of application. I liked how hard Muay Thai was. Beating the shit out of a punching bag with my leg was always so therapeutic. So I researched a bunch of hard (re: combat sport) martial arts. I looked into stuff like Kyokushin. My city didn't have a Kyokushin dojo. So I toured a bunch of martial arts places, no matter the type; from karate to even traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu. I even went to a Shaolin Kung Fu place and took a free class. Nothing was really sticking with me. They were ok, but not for me. I started to realize that maybe striking isn't for me.

So I looked into judo and loved what I saw. I was watching Judo matches and saw this BJJ match (Grace Gundrum v Bianca LeBosnoyani) in a related video. I was amazed. One of the main reasons keeping me away from BJJ was because while I had a preference for combat martial arts, I also had a preference for graceful martial arts. Judo is beautiful in its gracefulness. A clean judo hip toss ippon is beauty in motion. I didn't see that when I saw BJJ because my only exposure to it prior to that match was what I saw in the UFC and Bellator. But that match presented an art that was both graceful and raw as fuck. I had to know more. So I started looking into this BJJ thing, maybe I needed an open mind, yeah? A quick search for BJJ on Youtube put this near the top. Even though it was on the Art of Manliness (ugh) youtube channel, I found the video it self to be a fantastic introduction to BJJ and how technical it was at its most basic. Say what you want about Rener, and I know he's a controversial figure, but I probably wouldn't have given BJJ a shot if I hadn't came across that video. I was touring local BJJ schools literally the next day and signed up at my gym the very next week. Also, a sports BJJ match is what got me into BJJ purely by chance.

Crazy watching Josh Barnett fight and the week before we worked on half the things he did in the fight.

What'd you work on?

Is it normal to be scared/nervous before doing bjj? Months in and I still get the butterflies and self conscious before going. Does it ever stop? It always leaves as soon as I get on the mats but the drive to the school is always stressful for whatever reason and it takes a lot of my guts to open those doors and step in. But as soon as I'm inside I feel better.

My friend has that. But he has anxiety generally. He has to prepare mentally the entire day for training. He trains Mondays and Wednesday. I think the stability and routine helps him. He has difficulty going to buy groceries. He has been in a bad rut for most of his life. BJJ is a source of stability and social outlet as he is mostly at home.
When he is at BJJ, he knows everyone and he relaxes. He is known as the happy, positive, warm and sensitive guy. It has really helped him a lot. Particularly later as he has improved. He has always struggled with really taking initiative in BJJ and just let people get position on him. self-sabotage. He has become more confident lately and it has excuberated into how he does things.
He now breaks grips, he now shrimps away to not let people take position, and generally he is just taking responsibility for his own learning instead of showing up to class. As a training partner and friend I've gotten to see the effects in person, and it's been quite amazing.
I have anxiety up to a competition. It is very difficult for me to mentally prepare. But I try to force myself to do it, because I live by a code that if I am scared of something it just might mean that I should do it. Or face the eternal regret of a life wasted in fear. If I don't move out of my comfort zone and try to stand on coal in hell, how will I ever grow as a person or toughen up?
I think we all have our version of our personal hell we all go through. It just takes different shapes, but we all have these sorts of demons.

Who else is exited for EBI 8?

https://youtu.be/Y_loiyAhB20

UFC Heavyweight fight on Saturday and EBI 8 on Sunday, sweet weekend!

I am! Eduardo Telles has the game that I admire. Sometimes he looks like a Wacky Waving Inflatable Tube Person, but it is mixed with some really excellent scrambles. I love love love his match again Keenan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRsKCekH4_o He gives Keenan a lot of trouble despite being a lot up in years. His offensive turtle guard, and the way he just sneaks his way out of things is what has dubbed him having "weird-jiu-jitsu" in Brazil.
He is not the most winning or anything like that, but I really like his style. If I had to pick a gym to train at in the states I would go to his first. xD

Alright.

What I try to do when this happens, is to stabilize control. I try to protect myself, and then I try to attack myself. When I feel people spazz, I immediately try to suck myself up into them, either with closed guard or half guard. And then I'll be there, and just chill until he runs out of energy. I am not stalling, but I am not doing anything until he is done with his wild flailing.

Then he stops, catches some breathes, and when he starts his thing again, I attack. Sometimes people who muscle to overcome their lack of technique or to use their size/strength/weight as advantage will get really frustrated by someone who is perceived to be "stalling". But that is learning for them to. If you cannot open a persons closed guard then you have no business accusing them of stalling.
Against people who are very very strong I hang out in half guard, and try to get to turtle. I try to go for hooks, underhooks, and pin their arm so they cannot do anything. At the very least they are not taking my back or getting to side control. I always try to think about that they use a lot of energy trying to pass my guard. Even if they pass and get to side control, if I can escape and reset I am doing a good job at tiring them out, and 2-3 more times, sometimes they are out of juice, and then you hit the sweep. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen large strong guys wreck everyone (even much higher levels) for a few minutes, and then completely gas out.

So how did everyone get into bjj? I think I'm different from most people who train jiu jitsu in that MMA was not the catalyst that got me into it. When I watched UFC fights the ground was the least appealing aspect of fights. As someone with experience in striking, I always preferred stand up and didn't get the appeal of ground game or understood what I was watching. When I left Muay Thai and decided to search for a new martial art, I decided to go with something similar in terms of application. I liked how hard Muay Thai was. Beating the shit out of a punching bag with my leg was always so therapeutic. So I researched a bunch of hard (re: combat sport) martial arts. I looked into stuff like Kyokushin. My city didn't have a Kyokushin dojo. So I toured a bunch of martial arts places, no matter the type; from karate to even traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu. I even went to a Shaolin Kung Fu place and took a free class. Nothing was really sticking with me. They were ok, but not for me. I started to realize that maybe striking isn't for me.

So I looked into judo and loved what I saw. I was watching Judo matches and saw this BJJ match (Grace Gundrum v Bianca LeBosnoyani) in a related video. I was amazed. One of the main reasons keeping me away from BJJ was because while I had a preference for combat martial arts, I also had a preference for graceful martial arts. Judo is beautiful in its gracefulness. A clean judo hip toss ippon is beauty in motion. I didn't see that when I saw BJJ because my only exposure to it prior to that match was what I saw in the UFC and Bellator. But that match presented an art that was both graceful and raw as fuck. I had to know more. So I started looking into this BJJ thing, maybe I needed an open mind, yeah? A quick search for BJJ on Youtube put this near the top. Even though it was on the Art of Manliness (ugh) youtube channel, I found the video it self to be a fantastic introduction to BJJ and how technical it was at its most basic. Say what you want about Rener, and I know he's a controversial figure, but I probably wouldn't have given BJJ a shot if I hadn't came across that video. I was touring local BJJ schools literally the next day and signed up at my gym the very next week. Also, a sports BJJ match is what got me into BJJ purely by chance.

My half brother introduced me, while at the same time, Joe Rogan had just started his podcast and talked about it in a way that made it seem really interesting. I had wanted to do thai boxing for so long since Ong-Bak came out, but I had gotten into Yoga after getting back problems working with heavy duty cameras and lighting rigs in the film industry, and found Yoga to be very unique. It was not a competition but a way to get better. Actual physical self improvement. And I sucked so bad at it. I was the only guy in class, but I found it almost refreshing and like it gave me humility. I also felt like a bad ass being flexible.

I've given up on all the sports I did when I was a kid. I was a talented swimmer, gymnast. I was good at street hockey and soccer, but once I got into video games when I was 12-13 I didnt give a shit about anything else, and I just gave up due to lack of parental guidance, laziness, bad habits and eventually became overweight, insecure and didnt come out of my shell throughout all my teeenage year. Always wanted to do martial arts. Tried TaeKwonDo when I was a teen, and that was dissapointing. Weird uniforms with dotted body vests and strange helmets. kicking and punching the air, instructor being fat unatheletic and uninterested. I lasted a month. Tried Wing Chun when I was 19. Had people who bragged about kicking someones ass in a street fight. People seemed intense, more kata punching movements in the air. I was told I was not going to be good at it, because their philosophy is that being larger makes you easier to hit. I didn't want to train an art if my body type was appreciated.
Always loved martial arts. Always loved eastern culture and mythology and found it to be inspiring. I got into Buddhism and spiritual scriptures and really found it indearing how martial arts could be a vehicle for growth and self development. But I always had this skeptical detector when people tried to bundle the martial arts with coconut water while egostroking their personal enlightment. When Joe Rogan talked about it, he did it without sounding preachy or made it seem like he was stuffing it down peoples throats.
It really made sense to me because I had experienced similar growth with Yoga. And I had experienced that paradoxically, sucking at something made me appreciate it a lot more. "nothing worth doing ever comes easy" and all that.

I met my boss through BJJ. The best girlfriend I ever had was through BJJ. Some of my best friends have been through BJJ. I felt really proud when I won a national tournament as a white belt. I met someone through BJJ from brazil who helped me get into the school I always wanted to go to, and I helped him get permanent resisdence in Denmark so he could stay and work. We are still good friends today. And so many people have left, or live in other places and many people come from various parts of the world to train in camps, so I feel like I have gotten friends from all over the world. My facebook is full of daily training pictures from all over. Through BJJ I've had the chance to be instructed by really nice athletes who are terrific like Oli Geddes and Dean Lister. Things like that is what just made me get really into BJJ.
I feel that, as popular as it is (have you seen, superman has started training? https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ6cT5GgQGE/ ) BJJ is one of those secrets that most fans of MMA really don't understand. You only understand if you have trained. People who yell and boo when the fight goes to the fight in the Octagon; They have no. fucking. idea.

It's been a major major boon in my life. I'm really grateful, and I am really grateful that I can help give some of it back. I feel I am important to my training partners and that I am sort of setting an example for my coach and for my gym and my art, along with the responsibility that comes with it.

/rant
Gonna step down from my soapbox now! xD

Rolled with the mat bully tonight and he was extremely humble before, during, and after the roll. So no, I didn't have to smash him. I was nice and kept him in my dominant positions using very little of my strength.

How I got into BJJ? I fell in love with Muay Thai because it has real sparring. Nothing like the katas or drills I tried in my adolescent years. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees shortly after trying muay thai so I had to quit. A friend who briefly trained at the Gracie Academy told me to try Bjj because it to has live sparring with resisting opponents and you are primarily ground fighting and not standing up which would aggravate my knees. I tried a class and some higher belts used their voodoo on me and I had to learn it. The rest is history. 4 yrs in now and I don't see myself quitting.

The thing about live sparring is so true. Once you've done it, you can't go back. After Muay, when I looked into those different arts, regular sparring between students was something I really valued. Judo seemed to have that when I looked at dojos, Kyokushin seemed to have it. I'd go to a Kung Fu school and see what their class structure was like and while it was athletic, there wasn't the drilling + sparring routine I became so fond of through Muay. I'd see them drill and it wasn't what I personally wanted. In Muay, you'd practice it on a bag and then actually apply it on an actual person to know what it's like. Then you'd actually spar with them 2 or so nights a week and apply what you learned. I loved that structure. I'd try kung fu and even though I liked it well enough, it didn't scratch that itch. I'd take a free Karate class and we never sparred. I'd never come back, no respect to those other disciplines.

But when I did BJJ, I was in love with its structure. drilling a move with a partner, feeling the moves out, and then sparring every single class? I was hooked. It also really helps that, whatever naysayers say about BJJ being "gay" or whatever, you build a connection with the people you drill/spar with. You're both going through discomfort and pain, and trying to figure the drill out, bump fists, and then roll. There's an emotional connection when you drill/roll with people that you gain, especially if they're around your level. It's a beautiful feeling and something I never thought was possible from martial arts. After most drills/rolls I'm always proud to say I feel like I've made a new friend. It has everything I thought Muay Thai lacked.

Apparently, science backs me up here and confirms my suspicions:

It is the constant physical contact in BJJ which I think is one of the most powerful and influential experiences driving the BJJ experience. Many people today are starved for physical contact. It is a sad fact that many people go through each day, experiencing a few handshakes as perhaps their only experiences of touch from other people. Cuddle parties and professional cuddlers are tapping into this hunger. Without knowing it, students of BJJ offer each other a powerful, affirming, accepting and biologically-mediated experience, simply through the body-to-body contact that occurs throughout BJJ. Such contact triggers the release of neurochemicals in our brain and hormones throughout our body, which make us more aware, focused, and connected. Oxytocin is one hormone often called the “cuddle” or “empathy” hormone, which is released in the body during such physical contact. It is likely one reason why friendships develop so quickly and deeply amongst BJJ students.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/women-who-stray/201412/the-psychology-brazilian-jiu-jitsu

Cindi, why did you quit muay thai?

Have you ever been hit in the face? It sucks.

I'm going to send this to my dad. He's been teaching judo for 50 years now.

Tell me what he thinks.

My half brother introduced me, while at the same time, Joe Rogan had just started his podcast and talked about it in a way that made it seem really interesting. I had wanted to do thai boxing for so long since Ong-Bak came out, but I had gotten into Yoga after getting back problems working with heavy duty cameras and lighting rigs in the film industry, and found Yoga to be very unique. It was not a competition but a way to get better. Actual physical self improvement. And I sucked so bad at it. I was the only guy in class, but I found it almost refreshing and like it gave me humility. I also felt like a bad ass being flexible.

I've given up on all the sports I did when I was a kid. I was a talented swimmer, gymnast. I was good at street hockey and soccer, but once I got into video games when I was 12-13 I didnt give a shit about anything else, and I just gave up due to lack of parental guidance, laziness, bad habits and eventually became overweight, insecure and didnt come out of my shell throughout all my teeenage year. Always wanted to do martial arts. Tried TaeKwonDo when I was a teen, and that was dissapointing. Weird uniforms with dotted body vests and strange helmets. kicking and punching the air, instructor being fat unatheletic and uninterested. I lasted a month. Tried Wing Chun when I was 19. Had people who bragged about kicking someones ass in a street fight. People seemed intense, more kata punching movements in the air. I was told I was not going to be good at it, because their philosophy is that being larger makes you easier to hit. I didn't want to train an art if my body type was appreciated.
Always loved martial arts. Always loved eastern culture and mythology and found it to be inspiring. I got into Buddhism and spiritual scriptures and really found it indearing how martial arts could be a vehicle for growth and self development. But I always had this skeptical detector when people tried to bundle the martial arts with coconut water while egostroking their personal enlightment. When Joe Rogan talked about it, he did it without sounding preachy or made it seem like he was stuffing it down peoples throats.
It really made sense to me because I had experienced similar growth with Yoga. And I had experienced that paradoxically, sucking at something made me appreciate it a lot more. "nothing worth doing ever comes easy" and all that.

I met my boss through BJJ. The best girlfriend I ever had was through BJJ. Some of my best friends have been through BJJ. I felt really proud when I won a national tournament as a white belt. I met someone through BJJ from brazil who helped me get into the school I always wanted to go to, and I helped him get permanent resisdence in Denmark so he could stay and work. We are still good friends today. And so many people have left, or live in other places and many people come from various parts of the world to train in camps, so I feel like I have gotten friends from all over the world. My facebook is full of daily training pictures from all over. Through BJJ I've had the chance to be instructed by really nice athletes who are terrific like Oli Geddes and Dean Lister. Things like that is what just made me get really into BJJ.
I feel that, as popular as it is (have you seen, superman has started training? https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ6cT5GgQGE/ ) BJJ is one of those secrets that most fans of MMA really don't understand. You only understand if you have trained. People who yell and boo when the fight goes to the fight in the Octagon; They have no. fucking. idea.

It's been a major major boon in my life. I'm really grateful, and I am really grateful that I can help give some of it back. I feel I am important to my training partners and that I am sort of setting an example for my coach and for my gym and my art, along with the responsibility that comes with it.

/rant
Gonna step down from my soapbox now! xD

I'm so happy for you.

Have you ever been hit in the face? It sucks.

Hahaha exactly why I quit MMA training. Turns out I hate getting cracked in the jaw. Who knew??

I got into BJJ through MMA. My brother in law in a professional Mixed martial artist (tho pretty much retired now since their first kid came along). And that kinda inspired me to want to train. I needed to get fit and lose weight so I started essentially a bocercise class. It was a fantastic class tho, not like shadow boxing to top 10 music, we did pad work every class and our instructor was a pro boxer so we learned good technique. I lost a ton of weight and loved every second. Wanted to take training further so I joined this MMA gym, and again I loved all the drilling, padwork, and stuff but the sparring was too much for someone just training for fun.
I went back to just regular gymming, and as much as I love working out I missed constantly learning new things and the martial arts side of things. I thought BJJ might be for me due to its lack of getting punched in the face, and now into my 6th month of training I guess I was right!
Honestly I expected to walk out and never come back after my first sparring session in BJJ. It was a rotten class where 2 giant dudes squashed the fuck out of me and I had a fingernail get torn off when someone broke my grip. I honestly walked out of class thinking "fuck this I'm done". The fact that I'm still going astounds me. Even if I quit tomorrow I've done better than I ever expected

ido

I figured. :( So the thing with the RNC is prevention to not get into it in the first place?

Well, I guess that could be said about any submission, but a RNC fully locked on, with hooks in, is pretty hard to fight.

There is some hope, though, depending on if they do something wrong. If they cross their legs/feet around your back, for example, a quick and easy ankle lock is there with your legs. If they do not have their top hand cupped behind the back of your head deep, you can sometimes use both of your hands to pry it away to relieve a little pressure. You can always fall to the "better" position/side depending on which of their arms has the choke in place, and try like hell to flatten your back to the floor to relieve some pressure.

So yeah, I mean, there are plenty of things to try and do... but assuming they know what they are doing and have it locked in fully, you're probably going to just have to tap.

Hope that helps a little, though.

The double wrist lock flip Barnett did against the cage.
I remember seeing Barnett fight Roy Nelson and Nelson had his arms wrapped around Barnett's waist from behind while standing. Nelson was about to take Barnett down by dropping his level, sticking a leg out to trip, and pulling Barnett down with him. Barnett instead got a double wrist lock and pulled off a kimura. I can't remember if he finished it but that move stuck with me and I pulled it off in live rolling. It's my go to move now that someone grabs my waist from behind.

Prevention is always better than escaping but that RNC...sigh. I think I'll just have to take it easy. Doesn't help he's got 4 stripes and he's blue. Fucking blue belts.

Prevention is always better than escaping but that RNC...sigh. I think I'll just have to take it easy. Doesn't help he's got 4 stripes and he's blue. Fucking blue belts.
2 on 1 is great prevention. Your 2 hands controlling 1 of their arms. Your opponent really can't choke you with their single free arm.

So how did everyone get into bjj?

Left out some details to protect my identity.

I got into BJJ during the tail end of the Dark Ages of North American MMA (this was the late 90's to mid 2000's when it was banned in many parts of North America). I watched the first few UFCs on my dad's illegal cable box. Wasn't hooked right away - I was a huge pro wrestling fan as a kid and the commercials for the early UFCs made me think that it was just some crazy Japanese promotion trying to expand into North America. This was at the same time WCW was blowing up so it wasn't unimaginable that a Japanese promotion would try to get in on the action as well.

Anyways, I watched the first couple and wasn't too entertained - real fighting was as cool was people being hit in the head with steel chairs and shit, and kept it in the back of my mind. I casually still followed it, tuned in for big fights but wasn't educated enough yet.

Grew up and watched the Monday Night Wars take place and most of the Attitude Era in the WWF (now E) take place and then around sophmore year of high school, I just lost interest in pro wrestling. It was getting crazier and crazier (the Attitude Era was still peaking) but by now it was apparent to everyone that it was fake so I stopped watching it. I still really enjoyed the combative sport aspect of it so I watched boxing for a bit but boxing was kind of in it's own Dark Ages in the early 2000's as well. As it so happened, I also got high speed internet and torrents around this time and decided to give MMA another shot. That's how I discovered PrideFC and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That's when I became a hardcore fan.

At this time in North America, unless you lived in NYC or California, most BJJ schools were run by blue belts or just a bunch of random dudes gathered in a room to watch instructional videos and then trying out the moves. I think the entire country of Canada in the mid 2000's only had like 3 black belts teaching. Marcus Soares out in Vancouver, Wagney Fabiano in Montreal and Omar Salvosa out in Toronto. I was living in Toronto at the time but was still a teenager and didn't have the funds to do BJJ but I knew I was interested so I was training at random judo clubs and trying to self learn the rest. In 2004, I graduated from high school and told my parents I wanted to move to a city to go to school - but in actuality, I wanted to move there to get involved in the martial arts scene. I took a year off to make some money and then was off to a city.

Got really involved in the MMA scene here. The early days of BJJ in North America was fucking crazy. There was no IBJJF back then - IBJJF tournies really got going in 2007-ish, so you'd have tournaments being held in house at various small gyms where'd all types of people would show up. Dudes would show up with singlets and shoes and be pared off with dudes in full on gis and the matches would go like 10 minutes with a vague understanding of points. Blue belts ran most schools, non-Brazilian black belts were unheard of and if you saw a purple belt, nobody believed you unless you took a photo because that's how rare it was to see a purple belt or higher. BJJ back then was used as a conduit to get into MMA or to get better at fighting. A lot of us who were training back then didn't really ever train thinking we'd get our black belts or even purple. The first guy I knew who got his purple was a guy in Montreal who would go back and forth between here and NYC to train at Renzo Gracie's on an almost weekly basis and after years of doing that, he finally went from blue to purple. It wasn't a separate sport like it is now.

I know guys from the old days who competed back when MMA (or NHB as it was called back then) was still limited to shady Indian reserves and cops would raid events afterwards so if you were in the audience you had to book it the fuck out quick. One of my good buddies fought in one promotion where you'd get points if you threw your opponent out of the ring, Royal Rumble style.

In between, I bounced around several schools due to limited funds (both on the schools end and my own). I probably trained three years before I sniffed a blue belt. Once I left school (university) I got a dead end job (you can go through my post history to find a thread about that) and found that I had a lot more time to train so I threw myself into it. There was a period during my blue belt days where I would two hours in the morning, sleep, train three hours in the afternoon, go to work and half ass my job (overnight shift) and then go back to the gym for another two hours in the morning before sleeping. That was my schedule, 3 times a week for a good year. The other 4 days, I'd go to the gym in the morning to swim and then sleep and train in the evening before work. I'd get a girlfriend, neglected her for BJJ, broke up with her and continue to train. Repeat. I started doing all sorts of things to further help my BJJ. Shaved my head to get my hair outta the way (I was going bald anyways though), slept on the floor to harden my body (broscience) fucking everything. Got my purple in 2010 which when I started was the Mythical Magic Belt. Blue to purple was the last time I really cared about the belt.

By the time I got my brown, BJJ had kinda evolved into it's own sport, IBJJF tournies were popping up everywhere. Gyms suddenly had rules against reaping the knee and all that stuff. Purple to brown was a lot less romantic for me. I'm still very glad I got to experience the tail end of the early days though. It was an objectively worse environment to train in but I think a lot of people who start today lack the appreciation for those days. While the Gracies and Machados brought BJJ to the coasts, the rest of North America was being supported by broke ass degenerates training in garages and rented halls and they're often the forgotten pioneers of the sport in BJJ. I'm happy that I got to know some of them on my journey. They'll never be in any book or YouTube documentaries but they are every bit as important to spreading the sport as any Gracie was.

I got my black belt late last year. Still in the city I told my parents I moved to for school, still training but now I get paid to teach which blows my mind sometimes.

ido

Left out some details to protect my identity.

Echos a lot of what I experienced. I started in... 2000? I think it was. I know I was a senior in HS when I started, so I'm thinking it was 2000. Add to that I live in the deep south, so there really was ZERO BJJ around here. Started at a Judo/Boxing gym, and the guy who ran the gym had recently done a Rickson Gracie seminar(back when he used to roll with everyone at seminars) and Rickson handed him a blue belt at the seminar, I'm assuming based on his grappling skills from Judo. That kind of started the BJJ journey, as everyone in the gym that was ranked in Judo started wearing a white belt, and the place essentially changed to a BJJ school.

Couple years after that I got my blue belt from Pedro Sauer at a seminar, which was pretty cool because he was the first black belt I ever got to experience. And like you said, brown belts were like hunting samsquanch, and purple belts were just as rare. Hell, back then if someone had a blue belt around here you knew they were going to give you the business. A lot of that is diluted now, I think.

I remember the tournaments that were hosted in hotel meeting rooms. Shit was just so much different back then compared to now, but I loved it.

Cool to read your story.

Crazy stories and makes me really appreciate that I can drive ten minutes to a fucking BJJ school at 10 in the morning where I get training from purple and black belts. Thanks for helping it grow.

Yeah awesome stories guys.

Carlson Gracie is doing a seminar at my gym this week. Its 50 bucks i cant really afford but im tempted. Are seminars worth it in your opinions? Or is it essentially just a live action version of watching shit on youtube..

So...BJJ four days a week, I think my body has adjusted now and...I like it.

It's a good medium. Higher recall and retention, three days for classes, one for open mat. I'm now keeping a BJJ journal I use to write down what I learned in each class so I can know what to review during open mat.

Time to get smashed.

17voJiZ.gif

Carlson Gracie is doing a seminar at my gym this week. Its 50 bucks i cant really afford but im tempted. Are seminars worth it in your opinions? Or is it essentially just a live action version of watching shit on youtube..

Go. Walk. Run. Do it.

You could learn something. See if someone can spot you and you can pay them back if possible.

The risk with a seminar is that you might get a guy who's a BJJ God but doesn't really teach stuff that sticks with you. It might be because you're not advanced enough yet, maybe his style isn't conducive to your game so you have trouble finding the right time to for the technique. Generally, if you can go, go. If you're on a budget I'd avoid it.

The risk with a seminar is that you might get a guy who's a BJJ God but doesn't really teach stuff that sticks with you. It might be because you're not advanced enough yet, maybe his style isn't conducive to your game so you have trouble finding the right time to for the technique. Generally, if you can go, go. If you're on a budget I'd avoid it.

Cheers man. Ive avoided the other seminars, but honestly it was jsut the Gracie name attached to this that made me pay attention. Not very often youd get a legit Gracie family member coming to our neck of the woods!

ido

The problem I have with seminars nowadays is hardly anyone will ever roll anymore. Completely unlike how things used to be, from my recollection. I remember toward the end of each seminar we would all line up against the wall and get tapped out by whoever it was teaching, sometimes multiple times over.

Seminars can be fun though. Rarely have I ever really picked up anything from them, but you might. Some are basically just photo-ops, unfortunately.

I agree with the budget part. If you're strapped, don't really worry about it. If you have some expendable funds, I'd go because it's usually a cool experience. Support the person if you like them, and all.

I...somehow did the smashing today?

I'm confused. Either way, BJJ notes are handy. After drill during break, go to phone and type in the move we just drilled. Then after class I put in all the small details so I won't forget. It rocks because my brain acts as a strainer the second I leave class.

The problem I have with seminars nowadays is hardly anyone will ever roll anymore. Completely unlike how things used to be, from my recollection. I remember toward the end of each seminar we would all line up against the wall and get tapped out by whoever it was teaching, sometimes multiple times over.

Seminars can be fun though. Rarely have I ever really picked up anything from them, but you might. Some are basically just photo-ops, unfortunately.

I agree with the budget part. If you're strapped, don't really worry about it. If you have some expendable funds, I'd go because it's usually a cool experience. Support the person if you like them, and all.

Thanks man, I put my name down for it in the end. Figured fuck it, I'll probably never get the chance to meet a Gracie again so why the hell not!

Just home from class. First time ever doing 30 mins sparring sessions. The pain...the pain..
Had some great rolls tho. I armbar'd the chap who guillotined me the the other week! Got him in my guard and hit an armbar from the bottom. Turns out he wasn't a noob after all too which made me feel better!
Also fought the son of the club's founding BB to a draw. 6 minutes of hell. He's far more experienced than me so that was a huge win for me.

I just wish I was dead right about now tho. By the end I was so physically exhausted, my feet were cramping viciously, and I was essentially just letting people work on me. Could do nothing at all.

Thanks man, I put my name down for it in the end. Figured fuck it, I'll probably never get the chance to meet a Gracie again so why the hell not!

Just home from class. First time ever doing 30 mins sparring sessions. The pain...the pain..
Had some great rolls tho. I armbar'd the chap who guillotined me the the other week! Got him in my guard and hit an armbar from the bottom. Turns out he wasn't a noob after all too which made me feel better!
Also fought the son of the club's founding BB to a draw. 6 minutes of hell. He's far more experienced than me so that was a huge win for me.

I just wish I was dead right about now tho. By the end I was so physically exhausted, my feet were cramping viciously, and I was essentially just letting people work on me. Could do nothing at all.

Rolled with my training buddy today. We have trained for about the same amount of time and I absolutely destroyed him today. He was shocked. I was shocked. We've got a rivalry going on. I'm really hoping he adjusts for next roll so we can make it more even. We help each other grow a lot. He tried to escape my side control and I triangle choked him. Today's theme for me was triangle chokes. I wanted to finish every sub with a triangle if possible. Doing a triangle from side control requires some flexibility. Flexibility I never I would have had a year ago. I really hope he steps it up next time. Everyone needs a good rival.

Good luck on the body soreness tomorrow!

I generally don't find seminars to be that useful unless the guy is teaching a set of techniques I already use in my game or am actively working on trying to add. I will avoid seminars otherwise since they advertise the person doing the seminar rather than the techniques being taught.

They were a lot more useful pre-YouTube when nobody knew anything. Now you can look up Trumpet Dan's breakdown of Roger Gracie's game for free instead of paying $100+ for an hour of Roger Gracie to teach you and a crowded gym how to do a cross collar choke. Like someone else has said, seminars tend to be an excuse to see a guy tell a few stories and take a few photos with you.

I generally don't find seminars to be that useful unless the guy is teaching a set of techniques I already use in my game or am actively working on trying to add. I will avoid seminars otherwise since they advertise the person doing the seminar rather than the techniques being taught.

They were a lot more useful pre-YouTube when nobody knew anything. Now you can look up Trumpet Dan's breakdown of Roger Gracie's game for free instead of paying $100+ for an hour of Roger Gracie to teach you and a crowded gym how to do a cross collar choke. Like someone else has said, seminars tend to be an excuse to see a guy tell a few stories and take a few photos with you.

Don't people also get promoted at or for going to seminars? Seminars are seen as being actively participating in the school, so it usually counts towards a stripe. That's something a lot of the lower belts get out of it, even if it it seems misplaced. It's also seen as important that you drop by if they're the head of your lineage. So if you're a Renzo Gracie Jiu Jitutero and he's dropping by one of your schools, it's generally seen as good manner to go because he's the head and it's a way to support your professor, school, and association.

I've been to a seminar and while I thought that maybe private lessons were a better use of money, there's also something about the camaraderie that comes from them. If I were playing basketball, I think most players would agree it'd be amazing if NBA stars regularly dropped in to give seminars on how to progress as a basketball player. I find the fact that we have elite guys and gals of BJJ coming to every day schools that are in no way famous to give seminars and show us some things to really cool, because it seems something specifically unique to martial arts. I just can't imagine Kobe Bryant going to a little fucking basketball club in a suburb to give a seminar. But Cobrinha will give a seminar and you learn something from right in your face.

I think that's really cool and the wider access to more famous BJJ practitioners is an asset of bringing the community closer.

But those are my thoughts as a white belt, so I would definitely get more out of them than a black belt.

Top Bottom