• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't think people need to worry at all about this being like Phantom Menace, but I will still be entering with subdued expectations.

Loxley

One little thing that The Hobbit has going for it versus The Phantom Menace is that The Hobbit is based off of one of the most critically-acclaimed fantasy novels ever written and the 4th best-selling book of all time. Whereas The Phantom Menace was...um...

Branduil

I would say all six star wars films are some of the best pieces of filmmaking I ever seen. ^^ I am looking forward to The Hobbit movies, even though it should be two, and also I haven't liked any Peter Jackson movie yet. I'll watch it and keep an open mind. I do love The Hobbit book though :)

The Phantom Menace is an awesome movie. ^^

i0rXksxuQKQx2.jpg

Can't wait for the trailer. Next week is like early christmas of nerdom with TGS and Hobbit trailer :). For what I hope to see: more Gandalf is allways ace, Elrond would be cool after the Galadriel shots of the last trailer. Goblin town stuff and more Gollum. Probably not happening but a small shot of Saruman would be great too. But even then they need to have the new characters some time to shine too with young Bilbo and Thorin at the helm. Trailer needs to be like 5 minutes to satisfy me :D.

Little OT but I finished extended RotK a while ago and I can't believe they cut the Saruman scene from the movie. It's one of my favourites and Lee is friggin chilling when he taunts the heroes. The way he says the lines ''His attack will come soon. You're all going to die.'' and ''This exile, crept from the shadows, will never be crowned king.'' sends chills down my spine. Sets the perfect mood for the last movie and is the conclusion for a major villain in the trilogy (and Grima too). The scene takes something like 5 minutes, surely there was stuff much more deserving to be cut.

Now for the Hobbit movies. Do we know when we might expect to learn the running time of the first movie? I think something like little over 2,5h would be perfect lenght for the movies.

Loxley

Now for the Hobbit movies. Do we know when we might expect to learn the running time of the first movie? I think something like little over 2,5h would be perfect lenght for the movies.

We typically don't learn the run-time of films until the various ratings boards (like the MPAA) approve the film's theatrical cut. That probably will be closer the The Hobbit's release, likely the middle to end of November. Of course Jackson always could come out and say what length he's aiming for, but he did remind people at Comic-Con this year that he's not good at making short movies.

BBFC classified the new trailer 3 days ago. They have rated the trailer 12A. The first trailer was rated U.

Running time: 2m 24s

This work was passed with no cuts made.

Work Information
Director: Peter Jackson
Main Language: English
Distributor: Warner Brothers Entertainment UK Ltd
Classified: 11/09/2012
Measured footage: 216+0 (feet + frames)
BBFC Reference: CTxxx286454

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/CTxxx286454/

Edmond Dantès;42125851 said:
That's interesting.

It makes me wonder how violent The Hobbit will be. Beorn's savagery is certainly something that would be considered violent along with various other incidents in The Hobbit.

LOTR certainly got away with a lot.

I don't think there will be any drugs, sex, nudity, discrimination or language etc. in this trailer to earn it the 12A rating, so it has to be these:

Moderate physical and psychological threat may be permitted, provided disturbing sequences are not frequent or sustained.

Moderate violence is allowed but should not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood, but occasional gory moments may be permitted if justified by the context. Sexual violence may only be implied or briefly and discreetly indicated, and must have a strong contextual justification.

My bet is on some nasty looking goblins / freaky spiders!

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/classification/guidelines/12a12/

ascii42

That's interesting.

It makes me wonder how violent The Hobbit will be. Beorn's savagery is certainly something that would be considered violent along with various other incidents in The Hobbit.

Having no profanity, nudity, or sexuality in general helped. It's all just violence.

That's interesting.

There is a specific scene that I'm thinking of, in which Gandalf slices his way through a batch of goblins that has the potential of being very bloody if it isn't completely hidden by darkness.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Shouldn't he have been a BIT older? I swear he was at least as old as Balin.
I think Peter and co may be taking cues from this quote from Tolkien:
"Dwarves remained young – e.g. regarded as too tender for really hard work or for fighting – until they were 30 or nearly that (Dáin II was very young in 2799 (32) and his slaying of Azog was a great feat). After that they hardened and took on the appearance of age (by human standards) very quickly.

By forty all Dwarves looked much alike in age, until they reached what they regarded as old age, about 240. They then began to age and wrinkle and go white quickly (baldness being unknown among them), unless they were going to be long-lived, in which case the process was delayed.

Almost the only physical disorder they suffered from (they were singularly immune from diseases such as affected Men, and Halflings) was corpulence. If in prosperous circumstances, many grew very fat at or before 200, and could not do much (save eat) afterwards. Otherwise ‘old age’ lasted not much more than ten years, and from say 40 or a little before, to near 240 (two hundred years) the capacity for toil (and for fighting) of most Dwarves was equally great.”

Balin seems to be a discrepancy in that regard and one of those 'Tolkien contradictions'.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;42139585 said:
I think Peter and co may be taking cues from this quote from Tolkien:

Balin seems to be a discrepancy in that regard and one of those 'Tolkien contradictions'.

I suppose I'll allow it, but I won't like it.

Balin is my favorite character: he needs to be sexy too.

Atrophis

Just started my first watch of the extended editions. Had them since they were released but never watched them :O

So Fellowship disc 1 is done. Forgot just how damn good this movie is.

Can't wait to hear what Howard Shore and co. come up with.. Thorin's song with the rest of the dwarves singing was brilliant! I've never read the book, so I hope we can expect more songs like this!

Branduil

If I remember correctly, its all studio/CGI work for the Lonely Mountain.

Though I'm sure it will be inspired at least in part by real mountains somewhere.

Interesting. It guess even New Zealand doesn't have a mountain that can stand-in as a perfect match for the iconic Lonely Mountain.

Rootbeer

Banned
Edmond Dantès;42173280 said:
Hobbit figures plus Tauriel pic.
<images>

sigh... why do they have to do two different lines of toys :| cause I am going to be forced to buy them both, I think :p

Disappointed that they are not as great as the ones from toybiz for the LotR trilogy but I guess they will have to do.

BTW, I found this... 6" versions of Legolas and Tauriel:

Well... I went ahead and ordered 6" Gandalf, Bilbo and Thorin. Will definitely be picking up Legolas and Tauriel, too! I want to stick only to the 6" figures, but I'm paranoid that they won't release all the characters in 6"... I really want all 13 dwarves and gollum, at the VERY least.

Every kid is gonna want this. Right? The people they hire to do these shops...

Is that a boy? And... is he wearing eyeliner?

Nice! Why aren't they using Howard Shore for the second trailer? Didn't he do the music for the first one? I know he's probably not done all the music yet but he must have some for a 2 and a bit minute trailer.. just seems odd to use someone else.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;42171544 said:
Not the actual mountain, but the location, yes.

Tongariro National Park.

Some random images:

ib1Ec6wSutf4mY.jpg

i7RpCUhiVktw2.jpg

i9F95hAV6HF29.jpg

Perfection. Just increase the mountain's size a bit, leave off some of the snow, darken the sky. The valleys are perfect. Love it.

Also, as for those beautiful stained glass windows, I'm glad to see the meeting with Gildor was included - that was one of the most under-rated, forgotten moments from the books, but one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom