• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

spats

I must be out of my mind but I don't find the film to be that pretty. It looks completely overworked, just like the LOTR trilogy. It certainly had its moments but the overall impression was somehow fake and disingenuous. The lunatics at WETA must've gone through every single frame with a fine tooth comb and removed anything that'd bring some life into the footage. :(

Jacob

All this movie is gonna do is make me super-friggin annoyed every time I watch Fellowship and hear Gandalf tell Bilbo he "hasn't aged a day."

YEAH OKAY

Bilbo had clearly aged between the FOTR prologue and the scene you mentioned, though. It was obvious to me from the first time I saw the movie that Gandalf wasn't referring to Bilbo's appearance during the time of The Hobbit, regardless of what the situation in the book was. In all the years I've heard this complaint I've never really understood it. :/

strafer

Bzevk.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bilbo had clearly aged between the FOTR prologue and the scene you mentioned, though. It was obvious to me from the first time I saw the movie that Gandalf wasn't referring to Bilbo's appearance during the time of The Hobbit, regardless of what the situation in the book was. In all the years I've heard this complaint I've never really understood it. :/

I guess maybe I don't remember the prologue stuff enough. What was the prologue scene with Ian Holm? Weren't those events from the Hobbit?

Wouldn't it be both?

Color grading in post is usually the only thing that changes for a 3D print to account for the glasses. The trippy colours they've incorporated into their sets is done to account for the in-camera effect of shooting at 48fps in HD (which subsequently allows less light into the aperture) as far as I understand it.

Allard

Color grading in post is usually the only thing that changes for a 3D print to account for the glasses. The trippy colours they've incorporated into their sets is done to account for the in-camera effect of shooting at 48fps in HD (which subsequently allows less light into the aperture) as far as I understand it.

That's how I understood it as well. In some of the sets they look more saturated then these pics are showing even. The Mirkwood forest section of the some of the blog videos looked downright trippy.

Edmond Dantès;42285068 said:
That's actually quite a blunder. The timeline of events is all wrong in that scene.

I wonder how they'll reconcile the differences, if at all.

I think it would be smart to just ignore it.

Branduil

But wouldn't brighter and more saturated colors on-set make it easier to produce a good-looking 3D print, since you don't have to alter it as much in post? And I believe they're shooting the Hobbit with a 270 degree shutter angle so the difference in lighting won't be as pronounced as it could be.

Loxley

I think it would be smart to just ignore it.

This is how I feel. Audiences are obviously going to allow some suspension of disbelief with regards to Fellowship's prologue and what it says/shows about events taking place during The Hobbit. I can't envision a future where there is some sort of absurd mass-confusion going on to the point where Jackson would feel the need to change some of the scenes for the prologue to better fit The Hobbit.

Branduil

Easy solution, the prologue is the dishonest version that TolkienBilbo first wrote down.
Yes I know in the original book Bilbo gets the ring as a prize, but the film version of Bilbo's lie doesn't need to be the same as the book's.

Easy solution, the prologue is the dishonest version that TolkienBilbo first wrote down.
Yes I know in the original book Bilbo gets the ring as a prize, but the film version of Bilbo's lie doesn't need to be the same as the book's.

I think trying to even rationalize it at all is a mistake. That scene served its purpose as part of a longer info dump/montage to set up LOTR. I highly doubt that anyone cares that much.

Edmond Dantès;42285068 said:
That's actually quite a blunder. The timeline of events is all wrong in that scene.

I wonder how they'll reconcile the differences, if at all.

I'm trying to remember that scene specifically in the prologue. He picks up the ring on the ground and he is startled by Gollum's scream right? In the book, at least the version I read,
he finds the ring on the ground sticks it in his pocket, continues down the cave and runs into the underground lake where he is interrogated by Gollum. He doesn't realize that the ring is Gollum's until the end of the Riddle game. So the blunder is, it seems as if Gollum realizes his precious is missing before Bilbo finds it?

If that's it, I think it's minor enough to just ignore.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm trying to remember that scene specifically in the prologue. He picks up the ring on the ground and he is startled by Gollum's scream right? In the book, at least the version I read,
he finds the ring on the ground sticks it in his pocket, continues down the cave and runs into the underground lake where he is interrogated by Gollum. He doesn't realize that the ring is Gollum's until the end of the Riddle game. So the blunder is, it seems as if Gollum realizes his precious is missing before Bilbo finds it?

Yes, that's it.

As Branduil said and Tolkien did in The Lord of the Rings; Bilbo's account wasn't strictly the truth.

So, what we see in The Hobbit trilogy is the truth.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Never seen this illustration by Ted Nasmith posted before and well, the colour palette does remind me of The Hobbit's thus far.

injPsUse3nVzV.jpg

I wonder how much of Ted's work will be referenced this time around.

His influence was very much felt in The Lord of the Rings.

http://tednasmith.narod.ru/

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;42288927 said:
Never seen this illustration by Ted Nasmith posted before and well, the colour palette does remind me of The Hobbit's thus far.

injPsUse3nVzV.jpg

I wonder how much of Ted's work will be referenced this time around.

His influence was very much felt in The Lord of the Rings.

http://tednasmith.narod.ru/

Hopefully a lot (assuming he gets due credit of course). When Nasmith gets colorful, he does it right.

tnenteringmirkwood.jpg

Slime

Banned
That picture of Tol Brandir blew my mind. I've never been able to get over how similar some artists' interpretations of Middle-earth are to my own. I guess it's just a credit to Tolkien's descriptive talent that there's such uniformity of vision amongst artists and the like.

Jacob

Hopefully a lot (assuming he gets due credit of course). When Nasmith gets colorful, he does it right.

Sadly he got practically zero credit for the design work on the LOTR movies since Lee and Howe were the ones directly working on the project. I think that has made his work somewhat marginalized, which is highly unfortunate. Nasmith is probably my favorite Tolkien artist, although his figures sometimes leave a bit to be desired.

Some of my favorite of his paintings (using links instead of embedding for copyright reasons):

http://tednasmith.com/lotr1/TN-Last_Sight_of_Hobbiton.jpg

http://tednasmith.com/silmarillion/TN-Aqualonde.jpg

bengraven

Oh God, that shot of Bilbo from below as he looks around Rivendell.

And there are PINECONES on that tree with Thorin.

PINECONES.

Re-watching the Lord of the Rings movies, I was really struck by how color-less and grim everything was (with the exception of the Shire and Rivendell). I guess this goes along with the overall "feel" of what Middle-Earth was going through, but I'm really glad the pictures we've seen of the Hobbit are more colorful

Wow, I'd never seen this one before:

tnbarrelrider.jpg

The man really knows how to render great-looking forests.

That scene will be quite different in the movie based on the images out there.
The fact that they don't seem to be closed in the barrels kind of takes away from the idea that they suffered quite a bit compared to Bilbo on that little trip.

jaxword

Even more Tolkien lore-ish, that's not even how it goes in the first version of the book's release. It's probably impossible to track down an original copy of The Hobbit but the Ring had even less to do with Gollum back then too.

agrajag

Banned
That scene will be quite different in the movie based on the images out there.
The fact that they don't seem to be closed in the barrels kind of takes away from the idea that they suffered quite a bit compared to Bilbo on that little trip.

They have to be closed at least for some part of the way, otherwise how would they go unnoticed by the elf guards?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
We're getting more than just the trailer today according to Peter. I wonder what he has in store for us?

A preview of the score maybe. Or another vlog.

JDdelphin

Any bets as to what lines of Smaug will be the end of the teaser?

Maybe just black background, maybe with Bilbo hiding using the ring...
(which, thinking about it shouldn't really work all wooshy swooshy like in the LOTR movies. Meh, Sauron is weak and a wizard did it. Moving on...)

The boast? The laughing off revenge? Calling Bilbo out? or just a low growl?

I'm interested to see what can be done with Cumberbatch doing modified gollum like mo-cap as well...
So much to think about.. dang...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom