• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

I think you folks are hitting the mark on the LOTR tone contrasted with The Hobbit's more whimsical nature. I think they've done both well enough separately, but when put together in the movies, it just feels really off.

Ixion

The tonal shifting itself is a problem, but I think the bigger issue is the resulting story. PJ's been trying to tie everything in the book to Sauron. He's been trying to take all those whimsical, unrelated scenes, take a person who was mentioned once in the books, and tie everything back to him.

It feels forced and overwrought. The story wasn't meant for that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Martin Freeman responds to Viggo's criticism
Martin Freeman is adamant his fellow Hollywood star Viggo Mortensen is wrong to accuse the makers of The Hobbit trilogy of letting special effects ruin the story.

Mortensen, who played Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings franchise, revealed in an interview in May that he dislikes The Hobbit prequel films because the computer-generated imagery (CGI) is not subtle and overpowers the rest of the movie.

Freeman, who starred as Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit series, has now spoken out to defend the films and director Peter Jackson, telling Britain's Seven magazine, "All I can say is: I hope that's not the case. I know Peter and the team who make those films, they'd be horrified to think they'd jettisoned all subtlety.

"Yeah, there's a lot of CGI, an awful lot of that business going on. But they are still very, very interested in the story. They want the human side of it to be absolutely pivotal. Beyond that?...Of course it's a question of taste and I respect Viggo's opinion."
Link

Loxley

As Freeman says, it's all a matter of taste and opinion. The way people exploded when that Viggo interview came out was ridiculous. It wasn't like he said anything revelatory with regards to the Hobbit films - he'd only echoed criticisms that many actual film critics had already voiced. But some people acted as though we had been waiting with baited breath to hear his opinion as though it were the final word on this trilogy. His opinions aren't any more or less valid than anybody else's, same goes for Freeman. It initially struck me as bad form on Viggo's part, as there's obviously an unspoken agreement in Hollywood that you don't talk shit about other people's films on a public platform. But seeing as he was asked directly, I can't hold it against him. He's obviously a guy who cares deeply about the art of film-making (and given his words, must desperately hate all Hollywood blockbusters).

The story is still central in this trilogy, the bigger issue is that it's just not Tolkien's story. Bits and pieces are there (and they're usually pretty great when they are), but Jackson has definitely taken more liberties here in order to create three 2.5 hour films.

It's funny, the only thing on Earth that equals my passion for Tolkien is my passion for Superman. Yesterday I watched both Man of Steel and DOS while working around my apartment, and I still have more issues with MOS and it's fiddling with the Superman mythos than I do with Jackson's fiddling with the Hobbit. I'm not sure why that is, but it was just something that I was reminded of.

fallout

I expect a more honest opinion from Freeman 10 years from now, just like Viggo. :p
I don't see how he's not being honest. He acknowledges the amount of CGI in the movies and shows respect for Viggo's opinion. He may change his opinion in 10 years, but it is entirely likely that he really feels that way right now.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Peter to be present at Comic-Con
On Saturday, July 26th, beginning at 10 a.m., Warner Bros. Pictures brings three of its most hotly anticipated films to this year’s Con: Peter Jackson will be on the main stage with “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,” from New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures, and George Miller will be on hand to present a first look at “Mad Max: Fury Road,” from Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures. The Hall H audience will also get a peek at the Wachowskis’ original sci-fi actioner “Jupiter Ascending,” also from Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures. Attending stars will be revealed at a later date.
Link

I wonder if we'll get an extended preview or maybe something else.

Vashetti

Banned
Wonder why they're being not so forthcoming in BOFA information/promotion. There's five months to go until release and we haven't seen/heard anything official.

Could the reception towards DOS have impacted on this?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wonder why they're being not so forthcoming in BOFA information/promotion. There's five months to go until release and we haven't seen/heard anything official.

Could the reception towards DOS have impacted on this?
Seems to be following the manner in which ROTK was promoted. Nothing much was heard or seen of ROTK until September with the first trailer and then from that point on the bombardment started. For ROTK, the justification was that promotion wasn't really needed until September because the hype was already at an all time high following TTT, plus ROTK was finished very late and was still been worked on a great deal during the Summer of 2003.

As for BOFTA, certainly because so much of the CG is unfinished and maybe WB feel that the marketing build-up is better suited for an Autumn start.

Dead

well not really...yet
The best part of the Hobbit movies continues to be the Chronicles books. Picked up the latest one today:
JjTv768.jpg

Book no. 5. A really exhaustive look at the production of a movie on the side of Weta Workshop. Amazing books if youre a fan of film and the amazing worldbuilding that Weta are capable of.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I also agree with the conflicting tonal shifts in the movies, they create such a weird feeling. One moment it's a cheeky adventure, the next is a gloomy, violent, dark action movie. Not that i'm complaining, I liked DOS and UJ for what they were, great entertainment, still a more cohesive tone would have been much better

Dalthien

I do think a lot of it is the material they have to work with. I do like The Hobbit book but in comparison to The Lord of the Rings books, it's literally comparing a kid's book to an epic. Personally, I'm glad they tried to bring the tone somewhat closer to the LOTR trilogy while maintaining some amount of whimsy. I just wish it was done a bit better.

Yeah, you nailed my thoughts on it as well. As soon as there were there were the first solid rumors of making The Hobbit after LOTR was finished, I fully expected right then and there that the Hobbit (and it didn't matter who the director might be, what direction they might go with it, or anything) would fall short of the greatness of the LOTR films. And as you said, it was for the simple reason that the Hobbit source material falls well short of the LOTR source material.

Don't get me wrong, I love Middle-Earth, and I love the Hobbit book as well. But it's a pale shadow of LOTR, and there was no reason that the film version should match up to the LOTR films, when the starting source material was of such a different quality.

That's not to deny that there has clearly been a good deal of bloat added to The Hobbit films, there has been more tweaking to the narrative, there has been clear tonal shifts as others have mentioned. But at the end of the day, Peter Jackson did a fabulous job with the LOTR films, and I don't care who they would have brought in for the The Hobbit films, or how they might have changed its direction - it was always going to make for a poor comparison to the LOTR films when there was such a stark difference in the source material between the Hobbit and LOTR.

Having said all of that, I am still enjoying the Hobbit films, and enjoying spending some more time in Middle-Earth, and I'm glad that they went ahead and made them. I just never had any expectations whatsoever that they would be on the same level with LOTR.

Loxley

As Corey Olsen put it in the latest Riddles in the Dark podcast, at this point when predicting what's going to happen in BOFA or how Jackson will interpret the remaining material...just go with what sounds cool. Don't go with "Well, in the book...", because you'll be either way off are simply underwhelmed.

BOFA will undoubtedly be more about spectacle than anything, given the events to come. So at this point my advice would be to just sit back and watch the 2014 Weta Digital VFX Bonanza™.

It doesn't help that Freeman is a shitty Bilbo.

8knrayb04jav.gif

I've enjoyed Freeman, heck I haven't had a problem with any of the cast really. However, Ken Stott has put in my favorite performance of anybody at this point.

Blizzard

Banned
I suppose this comes down to personal opinion, but I thought Freeman was one of the best possible choices for Bilbo. He comes across as Frodo-esque, but tougher and more ornery, with good body language. He's possibly my favorite "fitting" casting choice in the Hobbit movies along with Thorin and maybe Smaug's voice.

*edit* I agree Balin is decent too.

Vashetti

Banned

He's phenomenal. Just doesn't get enough screentime when he's supposed to be the main character.

I get chills everytime in that one scene during the spider escape where he realises what the ring is already doing to him.

I will never understand why they cut all his Rivendell scenes in the original AUJ cut, baffling.

And yeah, Balin has been the most consistent character. He's definitely the emotional core of the dwarves.

My heart broke during the Moria scenes on a recent rewatch of FOTR. They carry so much more emotional weight now.

On a wider note, I can't say I have an issue with any of the casting so far in the trilogy.

Balin (Ken Stott) has been terrific in these. Underused in Desolation.

They really transformed him as a character. He was an enjoyable character in the books, but he is easily the shining star in the movies. And it does change the Moria scenes in Fellowship now that you know how great Balin was.

All The Hobbit films needed to do was recreate/carry the tone and execution of the first dinner with Biblo and the dwarves. They fucking nailed that whole sequence so hard. Wonderfully charming, tonally consistent, actually feels intimate and whimsical per the book's original intent.
I smile ear to ear everytime I watch it and its easily best thing The Hobbit films have produced.

kingocfs

Balin (Ken Stott) has been terrific in these. Underused in Desolation.
His monologue building up Thorin in the first film is up there with my favorites in either trilogy so far.

And to weigh in on Freeman as Bilbo, I too thought he'd be perfect for it but there have been a lot of scenes where he's just felt flat to me, like the fainting at the initial meeting or even with Smaug. But at the same time he's also had some great moments, like the sparing of Gollum or his ring-induced freak out when killing that spider. I don't think he's been shitty by any means, though.

Freeman is a great young Bilbo. For me is already like Elijah Wood as Frodo or Ian McKellen as Gandalf: I just can't imagine another actor in the role.

Agree with Ken Stott too. Perfect Balin.

Jacob

I don't really feel able to judge Freeman's performance as Bilbo because the material he's been working with is so poor. His entire character arc was turned into an action movie cliche (and condensed into the first film), and the added material concerning the psychological aspects of bearing the Ring are absurdly heavy-handed. Everything from the ominous zoom-in to the painting of Sauron with the Ring in Rivendell (AUJ-EE) to the Walter White-esque spider murder scene in DOS is hammering the audience over the head with the significance of the Ring. Even if one ignores how the book handles things, it only highlights the parochialism of The Hobbit next to LOTR since the Ring is still ultimately a sideshow in this story.

Servbot24

Banned
I do hope a few years down the line we get someone going on record as to why the Hobbit Trilogy doesn't stack up to it The Lord of the Rings. Was it because The Lord of the Rings was as you've said lightning in a bottle? Was it external pressure from Hollywood Execs due to the huge investment put forth to create them (and thus attempts to add in certain elements to appeal to a mass audience)? Something else entirely?

It just boils down to the fact that Hobbit isn't as good of a story as LotR tbh.

Loxley

The best part of the Hobbit movies continues to be the Chronicles books. Picked up the latest one today:

Book no. 5. A really exhaustive look at the production of a movie on the side of Weta Workshop. Amazing books if youre a fan of film and the amazing worldbuilding that Weta are capable of.

I've been meaning to grab this to add to my collection, glad to hear it's up to par with Weta's other fantastic Hobbit Chronicles :)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Freeman has been one of the best part of these films.

Once again you post this and once again I have to remind you that you are the only person on Earth who thinks this.
Won't stop him from trying to shit up this thread with his opinion that is universally countered.

Ixion

It just boils down to the fact that Hobbit isn't as good of a story as LotR tbh.

I disagree. The Hobbit is the worse story for the type of film Peter Jackson is trying to make.

If a director made a Hobbit film that emphasizes and focuses on the humor, whimsy, charm, and "fairy-tale" feel of the book, it could be a fantastic movie. It just wouldn't be good for the same reasons LOTR is good. Just like the books!

I disagree. The Hobbit is the worse story for the type of film Peter Jackson is trying to make.

If a director made a Hobbit film that emphasizes and focuses on the humor, whimsy, charm, and "fairy-tale" feel of the book, it could be a fantastic movie. It just wouldn't be good for the same reasons LOTR is good. Just like the books!

This. I love the Silmarillion for it's breathtaking and sweeping mythology, I love the hobbit for its fairytale adventure and charm. And I love LotR for its fully realized world, grand scope and emotional elements.

Each of Tolkien's books were trying different things. Is there a lot less at stake in the Hobbit? Yes. But that's not a bad thing. Not every high fantasy story needs to be a save the world affair. We could use more stories like the hobbit about small adventures.

Loxley

Are they done with the production diaries?

Seems to be the case at this point. However, I suppose we could get one last vlog detailing the production wrapping up and some bits about filming BOFA. Seeing as Jackson & Co. will be at Comic-Con this year (likely with the teaser trailer), I wouldn't be surprised if he had a production vlog to go along with it.

I bet the teaser trailer (which PJ said is coming soon) will be attached to WB's Into The Storm, which stars Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield). The full trailer is said to be coming around October.

Loxley

The cut DOS scenes - for the moment - sound like they'll be more worthwhile than what we got with the AUJ EE. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Beorn, as well as Gandalf's encounter with
Thráin
(not sure if we're bothering to spoiler that at this point).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The cut DOS scenes - for the moment - sound like they'll be more worthwhile than what we got with the AUJ EE. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Beorn, as well as Gandalf's encounter with
Thráin
(not sure if we're bothering to spoiler that at this point).
Indeed. I'm also wondering if they'll expand upon Gandalf's capture; possible reasoning via dialogue as to why Sauron didn't just kill him considering what a threat he is (knowing full well that he is Olorin in aged raiment).

Vashetti

Banned
Thrain is the biggest conundrum in these movies, as far as I'm aware he's been in every major trailer, and still hasn't appeared in the films.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Thrain is the biggest conundrum in these movies, as far as I'm aware he's been in every major trailer, and still hasn't appeared in the films.
It seems like a lot rejigging of the narrative has taken place since the trilogy split and Thrain's story arc has suffered as a result.

Vashetti

Banned
He did in the TUJ intro. Unless of course you mean the specific scene with Gandalf.

Referring to the scene with Gandalf, yes :)

Edmond Dantès;120412486 said:
It seems like a lot rejigging of the narrative has taken place since the trilogy split and Thrain's story arc has suffered as a result.

I'd be very interested once all this is over to see/read an analysis of the all the changes and reasons as to why the change occurred with two movies into three.

Loxley

Re-watching the AUJ EE with Jackson and Boyen's commentary, and I guess I missed this detail the first time around, but Boyens implies pretty directly that
the Nazgûl will partake in the Battle of Dol Guldur in some fashion.
Interesting...

I guess it's not really all that shocking when you consider the blatant foreshadowing in DOS with High Fells scene.

Vashetti

Banned
Re-watching the AUJ EE with Jackson and Boyen's commentary, and I guess I missed this detail the first time around, but Boyens implies pretty directly that
the Nazgûl will partake in the Battle of the Dol Guldur in some fashion.
Interesting...

I guess it's not really all that shocking when you consider the blatant foreshadowing in DOS with High Fells scene.

Can't wait.

The Dol Guldur story is pure fanservice for me and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom