• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

It takes less time to look up the data than it did to write your post.

zbowOPn.png

3diVDFE.png

nmqnuxS.png

I didn't check it now cause i remember Skyrim's been 30-40k peak for a long time and Elden Ring was at 40k not too long ago so it was an easy guess, think you wrote that before editing because you thought it was 3k peak, but yea no, it's going to be decades until that happens it seems xD, as others said, counting Epic Store or GoG there should be more people right now on Skyrim than on Elden Ring without even counting Gamepass players

Fallout has some similar numbers too, these 2 games are normally on the top 5 most played list on Steam for offline games

sainraja

I think it’s overblown - it’s trending because every Xbox fanboy won’t let the world forget about it. They need this to be a success, even changing their avatars to a Starfield logo a year before gameplay was shown.
I mean, if that is the case, it's an easy/safe bet for them to make (that it will be a success).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's releasing on 2 platforms, instead of just 1. It's also releasing in the first week of the month.

If we compare it with, say, Final Fantasy 16 that sold 3 million copies, releasing on 22nd and only on PS5, 3 million for Starfield seems absurdly low.

By that metric, it should do at least 7+ million in the first month.

Okay, lets be fair and agree to 5 million unit sales in September, world-wide then.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He is not wrong, I have experienced the hype in my neighborhood with the guy that drives the ice cream truck, he asked me out of nowhere if I had heard about starfield and I said no and then he started to explain to me all about it. Then when I went to a local hamburger place all the people was talking about it and wearing shirts with the games logo, it was incredible. Then I arrived late to a parents meeting at my daughter school and when I asked what was the subject they were discussing at the moment they told me it was about starfield and how this was Bethesda new ip in 25 years and telling me me how they all have preloaded the game and have asked for PTO at work and how they were goiing to send their children in Uber because they wanted to maximize their playtime. And they were asking silly questions like: what their spaceships will be named and such. It was beautiful… the hype is real
Copypasta?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The amusing thing about this ‘no marketing’ discourse is that Baldur’s Gate 3 didn’t even get the huge marketing campaign many are claiming Starfield needs. And yet it’s being held up as a success here.

Larian focused heavily on word of mouth from Early access, YouTube trailers, State of Play showcase and that viral bear video.

Starfield will most likely release with even more marketing under its belt than BG3. starting with a Gamescom feature next week.

100% THIS!!! Clearly MS is waiting until Gamescom to start their huge marketing push for Starfield.

You took vacation time from work to play bethesda game at launch? Without waiting for reviews? Would waiting a month or two have been too much?
Yeah so. Not the only time I have taken vacation time to enjoy a game. As for Bethesda games. I have always enjoyed playing there games At launch.

Pelta88

The algo on twitter and youtube has got me convinced that their personal hype bubble expands beyond them and Colteastwood.

I am hoping it's a great game but it has no reach outside the core because there isn't any marketing for it.

Ozriel

M$FT
The algo on twitter and youtube has got me convinced that their personal hype bubble expands beyond them and Colteastwood.

I am hoping it's a great game but it has no reach outside the core

Well, it’s certainly not ‘hardcore Xbox fans and ColtEastwood’ responsible for the metrics we see on Steam.

No credibility in calling it a ‘bubble’.

because there isn't any marketing for it.

How much traditional marketing did you see for Baldur’s Gate 3?

Did that flop?

To be honest, I haven't really seen many people talking about Starfield besides the Xbox lot.

I'm sure it'll sell well and it'll be a good game (unless it's a buggy mess like most Bethesda titles at launch), but it isn't hyped as you say it is.

StereoVsn

Starfield will do great on Steam unless there are major issues, and even then maybe (look at Cyberpunk sales).

I can easily see 1ml concurrent players.

Question is more will this drive Xbox Series sales, Game pass sales and will there be a lot of actual game sales vs Game pass. There is a good chance that the audience is already built in, but you never know. We shall see in a few months.

NinjaBoiX

I think a decent percentage of the interest from forums and such is partly based on how key it is for Microsoft. It really feels like make or (not quite) break for them, it’s a hugely important release.

Last edited:
Once Microsoft acquired Bethesda and confirmed that Starfield would be an Xbox/PC exclusive title, a good chunk of prospective RPG fans who would normally be very excited right now about a brand new and proper Bethesda project have become detractors instead. We see now threads like this filled with replies that go along the lines of: "Hype? I don't see any hype. Game X and Y have much more hype. What is Starfield? I don't care about it".

doctor i'm concerned GIF by Dr. Andy Roark

NickFire

Starfield will do great on Steam unless there are major issues, and even then maybe (look at Cyberpunk sales).

I can easily see 1ml concurrent players.

Question is more will this drive Xbox Series sales, Game pass sales and will there be a lot of actual game sales vs Game pass. There is a good chance that the audience is already built in, but you never know. We shall see in a few months.
If this game resonates with the audience (which I expect it will) then its market performance will probably fascinate the enthusiast crowd (myself included) more than the last couple of gaming legal trials.

Dr_Ifto

At least in my gaming circles, its not much more than a blip. Advertising is minimal. I see BG3 ads everywhere though.

I've played oblivion, fallout 3, skyrim and fallout 4 day one and never had any problems.
Did you play Fallout 76?

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Put some decent hours into NMS recently before hitting the loop from which there is no return. This game, along with ME-A, are probably my most favorite Crowbcat vids.

"You can do anything..."
I think NMS is amazing. I might actually play SF if it comes close to the scope/grandeur of NMS (current NMS patch....not it's 2015 launch ;) )

Last edited:

TrueGrime

I think NMS is amazing. I might actually play SF if it comes close to the scope/grandeur of NMS (current NMS patch....not it's 2015 launch ;) )

I mean, it's fine. Once you S-Class your gear, your ship, your freighters, your settlement, and your exos... there's really not much more to do. Granted, I've done that and haven't started the main quest, but I think I'm too burnt out to do it.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Tyler McVicker (Valve News Network) got a code, and it looks like he doesn't care too much about the embargo cause he's giving impressions:

511bc5b4e4bdaa8e8985ca70e055da83.png

d3bc56eaacdf4bcda16c98eaace9f3ce.png
We'll see, but it's not that hard to believe. They said in their preview that one of the main things they're going for is film quality lighting. And we know that statements have come out about large parts of MS working on fixing bugs for the game.

I don't know anything about it and I don't really care. I haven't even looked at a trailer or preview for the game. Nobody I know is talking about it at all.

I'm sure the hype exists. Just not around me.
Yet you are here voicing your opinion in a thread specifically about Starfield..

Red5

Why does that one title that launched with issues have to define the Bethesda experience for him, and not the other ones he’s had not much trouble with?

The internet doesn't care how good someone is or was, they're only remembered for their fuck ups.

I think the hype is at about normal levels for a big release. I'm not sure if this will be a big breakout hit like some are expecting -- no doubt it will do well and be popular, but there's FFXVI levels of doing well and TotK levels of doing well, right?

Thyuda

I don't allow myself to getting hyped by a BGS release anymore, if it's good it's good, I'm still going to be playing BG3 by then anyway :D.

NickFire

Tyler McVicker (Valve News Network) got a code, and it looks like he doesn't care too much about the embargo cause he's giving impressions:
I hope he has clearance for that. If not its probably a great way to increase how many people read your previews, while also making sure you never get another advance copy ever again.

KAOS

The silence kinda scares me and I know there's an embargo and all... but I doubt Bethesda/MS will be pissed off about positive impressions on the game! So let them fly!!!

Top Bottom