• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

I think it’s overblown - it’s trending because every Xbox fanboy won’t let the world forget about it. They need this to be a success, even changing their avatars to a Starfield logo a year before gameplay was shown.
I honestly NEVER understand why ppl do this to themselves. They HYPE up a game so much in their head that it's nearly impossible to meet those expectations or their so invested that they can't be critical about said game. Gamers were calling Starfield Game of the Year and/or Game of the Generation before any gameplay was ever shown... that's wild to me.

I hope the game is a success and it's good. I have PC Gamepass, so it'll be there for me. I'm keeping my expectations in check, the last FallOut game I played was okay.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Tyler McVicker (Valve News Network) got a code, and it looks like he doesn't care too much about the embargo cause he's giving impressions:

511bc5b4e4bdaa8e8985ca70e055da83.png

d3bc56eaacdf4bcda16c98eaace9f3ce.png
The balls on this guy. Dude has played 15 hours in less than 24 hours. Bethesda game confirmed.

toad-hype-overload.gif

Last edited:

Dazraell

That studio has multiple teams.

Actually, multiple teams worked on this game, including main branch at Maryland. Fallout 76 also uses "from the creators of Skyrim and Fallout 4" moniker on literally every page you can see. Not too mention Todd Howard was also an executive producer on this game

Ozriel

M$FT
I’ve heard more people talk about BG3 IRL than Starfield. That’s not trying to water down anything. I only have coworkers to relate to and they’re all talking BG3. I don’t even feel like Starfield is coming out.

BG3 and Starfield are at different stages in their release calendar.
One has been released to excellent reviews, is getting tons of press time and streams on Twitch/YouTube/Kick
The other hasn’t been released yet

Not exactly an apt comparison.

I honestly NEVER understand why ppl do this to themselves. They HYPE up a game so much in their head that it's nearly impossible to meet those expectations or their so invested that they can't be critical about said game. Gamers were calling Starfield Game of the Year and/or Game of the Generation before any gameplay was ever shown... that's wild to me.

I hope the game is a success and it's good. I have PC Gamepass, so it'll be there for me. I'm keeping my expectations in check, the last FallOut game I played was okay.
Feel free to keep your own expectations in check. Valid for others to go by what they've seen so far and the history of the dev and be hyped.

I've played oblivion, fallout 3, skyrim and fallout 4 day one and never had any problems.
Same here, plus Morrowind and minus Fallout 4 for me - with the exception of the Ps3 Skyrim save file problem (where it gets infinitely big and stops working basically). Otherwise I think it's generally blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Same here, plus Morrowind and minus Fallout 4 for me - with the exception of the Ps3 Skyrim save file problem (where it gets infinitely big and stops working basically). Otherwise I think it's generally blown out of proportion.
Same. I’m kind of jelly that I have experienced some of those fun bugs people have posted.

Stuart360

I think the hype is at about normal levels for a big release. I'm not sure if this will be a big breakout hit like some are expecting -- no doubt it will do well and be popular, but there's FFXVI levels of doing well and TotK levels of doing well, right?
I mean its been the no.1 most wishlisted game on Steam for god knows how long now, and thats with the knowledge the game is on Gamepass. Its going to be massive on PC. Cant speak for console because gamepass subs percentage wise are obviously much higher on console than PC.

I love the fact that the controller has a map of the space flight controls on it. Mine is still pristine out of the box just for pictures, but I've heard that you unlock a Starfield dynamic theme for pairing it with your console, will do that in September lol.
That's neat.

Esca

I've personally seen hardly anything on the game for ads and such. I see bg3 everywhere and even Spiderman 2 stuff. I'm a PC gamer and search and look at stuff from YouTube twitch websites forums etc and I'm interested in starfield (not at launch though, Bethesda day own is a self owning lol, more bugs than words in the the actual talking lol) and I've seen very little of anything about it. It feels weird to me, don't feel like that often

Pelao

I have an Xbox and Gamepass, so I'll probably give it a try at some point, but I couldn't care less about the upcoming release of a Bethesda game. I don't even know when the release date is.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I've personally seen hardly anything on the game for ads and such. I see bg3 everywhere and even Spiderman 2 stuff. I'm a PC gamer and search and look at stuff from YouTube twitch websites forums etc and I'm interested in starfield (not at launch though, Bethesda day own is a self owning lol, more bugs than words in the the actual talking lol) and I've seen very little of anything about it. It feels weird to me, don't feel like that often
Algorithms. I don’t see anything BG3 or Spider-Man 2. I don’t think I’ve ever looked up either of those game, or watched videos of them on YouTube. So it makes sense s we by some of us see tons of content, and others don’t.

If it wasn’t for Gaf, I’d have no idea BG3 was a big deal. No one I know talks about it.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I just thought of something and I'm curious if Starfield will end up being the most AAA videogamey videogame that we've seen in years.

It certainly doesn't look hyper-cinematic/forced walking in the footage we've seen and it's going to allow you to do some incredibly goofy shi* because it's Bethesda. The bugs are gonna be wild too. At the same time though, the game is going to let you cut loose and do whatever the hell you want for the most part. That's how Fallout 3 felt and Starfield is clearly bigger than that. If that's what it ends up being; Fallout 3 in space (gameplay mechanics and all), I wonder if that will lead to divided reviews? It would be super interesting to watch that play out.

At the very least I'll probably boot up Fallout 3 to kind of ride the launch vibe in my own way but I could see myself getting a Series S for it at some point. Fallout 3 was legit mind blowing for me, I'd love to experience that again.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just thought of something and I'm curious if Starfield will end up being the most AAA videogamey videogame that we've seen in years.

It certainly doesn't look hyper-cinematic/forced walking in the footage we've seen and it's going to allow you to do some incredibly goofy shi* because it's Bethesda. The bugs are gonna be wild too. At the same time though, the game is going to let you cut loose and do whatever the hell you want for the most part. That's how Fallout 3 felt and Starfield is clearly bigger than that. If that's what it ends up being; Fallout 3 in space (gameplay mechanics and all), I wonder if that will lead to divided reviews? It would be super interesting to watch that play out.

At the very least I'll probably boot up Fallout 3 to kind of ride the launch vibe in my own way but I could see myself getting a Series S for it at some point. Fallout 3 was legit mind blowing for me, I'd love to experience that again.
Very few games have given me that natural high like a Bethesda game. Their worlds are not perfect, but I have found them perfect for how I game.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Bethesda RPG's are divisive, but they have a really big core fanbase that loves them and plays them for years and years.

That's a big part of the hype for me; if this game is good it's adding another "forever game" to my list alongside Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas (and to a lesser extent FO3, FO4.)

The only kinds of games that offer me the same kind of longevity are games like Civilization series or games like Grim Dawn/Diablo 3.

I trust that at the very least this game will be on FO3/FO4's level for me.. which means I'll play it once every couple of years for 40+ hours lol

Vox Machina

Banned
That’s Bethesda games. Think back on leaving the sewers from Oblivion, each of the Vaults, or escaping cavern in Skyrim. The game world is yours. Or in Starfield case, the universe!

Oblivion did such a good job here. Stepping out of the castle sewers and seeing the landscape open up to you, fresh with opportunity and mystery, was next-level. Will never forget that moment.

EDMIX

I already have it on a media blackout lol

I love hearing about different features it has as a huge RPG fan, but I tuned out as soon as they ass started talking about the "timeline".

I'd rather experience that annnnnnnd its time to see my self out lol

I'll still look into different features though, but I'm good just playing FFXVI and Baldur's Gate 3 until its release. (we are fucking SPOILED this year with solid RPGs)

TrueGrime TrueGrime Truth, but thats how it was for me with Fallout 4. 2015, I had very little issues with that game outside of odd visual stuff from time to time, I didn't really come across anything gamebreaking or something and ironically enough, that happened to me more on Witcher 3, then Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
Algorithms. I don’t see anything BG3 or Spider-Man 2. I don’t think I’ve ever looked up either of those game, or watched videos of them on YouTube. So it makes sense s we by some of us see tons of content, and others don’t.

If it wasn’t for Gaf, I’d have no idea BG3 was a big deal. No one I know talks about it.

Me and my gaming buddies hang out in a Discord that I manage, usually around 5-10 "regulars" that come and go. Before BG3 launch I posted multiple articles about it and even linked the last "Panel from Hell: Release" developer livestream. Every single post got minimal or no response. The only one that got any traction at all was one that had a headline mentioning you could fuck a bear (lols ensued). Even still, after the game launched me and my buddy who did a D:OS 2 playthrough were the only ones playing it. I streamed my first couple of play sessions on Discord and those regulars who jumped in STILL asked me what game it was when they viewed the stream. The exchange typically went like this:

Them: "What game is this?"
Me: "Baldurs Gate 3, it's really good"
Them: "What is it?"
Me: "A classic RPG with D&D rules"
Them: "Huh, neat"
Them: Boots up CoD/Tarkov

My point here being that if we are to go off anecdotal evidence, nobody gave a shit about Baldur's Gate 3 pre-release OR post-release. Now we know that's not actually the case because, well, the game has launched and we know differently now. To those saying "none of my friend group is talking about it", that means basically nothing, it's as anecdotal of an experience as mine. For comparison some those same regulars who skipped BG3 and continue to have no interest in it ARE talking about and hyped for Starfield. It just seems to be more mainstream of a title.

I can at least understand the snipes about "not enough marketing" even if I think most of them amount to concern trolling, but even still BG3 had little to no traditional marketing pre-release either and it seemed to be able to stand on it's own two legs well enough.

My $0.02.

Top Bottom