• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ice cream man will screw you this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
http://nypost.com/2016/03/29/the-ice-cream-man-will-screw-you-this-summer/

There's a vanilla shortage. In 5 years it's price jumped 1000%.
Soaring vanilla prices could make New Yorkers scream over the cost of ice cream this summer.

A bad harvest in Madagascar caused the price of vanilla beans to spike to about $400 per pound — up from about $40 per pound in 2011 — in America and world wide, according to Food Business News.

The bean shortage is a blow to Big Apple ice cream companies —including favorites such as Blue Marble, Ample Hills and Van Leeuwen — and some may be forced to raise prices, owners said.

“It’s a big deal. I got a letter from our vanilla supplier and nearly fell out of my chair — the cost had doubled in two months,” said Jennifer Dundas, owner of Brooklyn-based Blue Marble Ice Cream, which sells a popular Organic Vanilla flavor.

“I may have to raise prices. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see ice cream companies raise prices across the board on scoops and pints in grocery stores,” she said.

Ice cream makers may increase the price of all flavors, not just vanilla, to account for the bean shortage, she said.

bjork

I was hoping this was about the Tom Waits song.

See me coming, you ain't got no change
Don't worry baby, it can be arranged:
Show me you can smile, baby just for me
Fix you with a drumstick, I'll do it for free

tumblr_mjftvnoBge1qgcra2o1_500.gif

ryan299

Dam vanilla is my favorite. Didn't this happen with chocolate recently? I swear people freaked out about chocolate saying the world was going to run out.

My medieval fantasies will become a reality when the spice wars are brought back. And with the Antarctic melting who knows what new worlds and adventures are waiting beneath the ice.

If you have to ask, that means you know it's tasty and don't care what the answer is.

I'm worried they may use real vanilla. If they don't, that's great

I don't know why I'm asking anyway, the damn machines are always out of service in the summer.

Not too fussed about ice cream, but what does this mean for mcd's vanilla shakes? Do they use real vanilla?

I would say yes. Much more sugar than vanilla, of course, but vanilla is in a lot of things nonetheless. Expect prices rising in a lot of sweets, or them tasting different due not using vanilla anymore. I will miss my flanes

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Vanilla is a base flavor for most ice creams, though, so it will affect other flavors too.

Great excuse to try local Artisan ice cream then. They make that shit in house and have flavors that aren't just vanilla + addins.

Of course, it's relative expensive (two bucks a scoop here) but the one around me makes its own waffle cones and damn are their flavors great.

ApharmdX

Banned
The ice cream man is a screwjob anyway. He charges, for one Good Humor bar, what I can buy an entire 8 pack at the grocery store. My kids always beg for it even if I have ice cream in the freezer. I hate that dude.

kswiston

The only thing that is going to affect is the sort of ice cream you get at Whole Foods.

most of the shit you get from the ice cream truck is just going to use Vanillin.

Important to note is that this is particular is why c-cpi is difficult to use, and especially n ot for inflation numbers. We use averages of price hikes instead of core inflation for policy decisions and thongs go awry quickly.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
AFAIK, Vanilla is an ingredient in most flavors of ice cream, including Chocolate. Delicious chocolate is superior but still likely to be effected by a price increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom