• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Importance of Taking an L

daffy

Banned
idk why any male would actually try to wear a romper that isn't shooting hoops or out here date raping folks for the frat points. No one is gonna be trying to fuck you walking around the mall in line at auntie annie's wearing that nonsense

whats ur frustration homie? was someone being too loud when they called out ur L?

I'm calling out poor etiquette. The phrase "hold the L" isn't used to help someone but to rub it in that they lost or try to anger someone. It's a petty statement. People want to joke about it but it's become the go to response nowadays, it's the 2017's "u mad" phrase.

Brinbe

People really complain about anything, holy shit. Maybe it's just being exposed to this shit for so long, but everything about it has always been hilarious.
mandatory classic from the sohh era
1378326718_nas-lost.jpg

jb1234

I don't see "taking an L" that often on the internet, but GAF has reeally dirven it into the ground lately.

The only time I've ever found it even remotely amusing is when people post that pic of NYC's L train. At least that has a side of wit (although like all memes, it goes down very quickly when people keep using it).

Dereck

all that and no quote tags?

hold this L OP

What the hell does "taking an L" mean?

LionPride
tZGm5XI.png

Anytime someone says "take the L" to anyone I can only assume that person is an insufferable douchebag. Like, you're just throwing salt in the wound. It's super petty and I just think less of you as a the person.

Everybody already thinks less of you so it's fine.

I see we have an L taker here.
tZGm5XI.png

I can't fucking stand the "take the L" thing. Might as well be a meme with how often people want to push it whenever anything happens

tZGm5XI.png

tZGm5XI.png

tZGm5XI.png

tZGm5XI.png
tZGm5XI.png
tZGm5XI.png

DeSo

Banned
Can you take an "L" in real life?

Have you ever told someone to take an "L" in real life?

Or is it exclusively a social media thing

LordKasual

Banned
I'm calling out poor etiquette. The phrase "hold the L" isn't used to help someone but to rub it in that they lost or try to anger someone. It's a petty statement. People want to joke about it but it's become the go to response nowadays, it's the 2017's "u mad" phrase.

yeah this is way older than 2017 bro

Can you take an "L" in real life?

Have you ever told someone to take an "L" in real life?

Or is it exclusively a social media thing

lol

this thread is adorable

So you disagree with the statement because it has existed before 2017? You're not making a solid argument at all.

You are really sensitive about this Taking an L shit. It's not that serious bruh and it's been around since forever. It's really not about comforting someone. It's about "bruh, this shit is over, you lost, lose with dignity you clown". It's not suppose to be nice. It's suppose to be blunt

LionPride

Banned
You are really sensitive about this Taking an L shit. It's not that serious bruh and it's been around since forever. It's really not about comforting someone. It's about "bruh, this shit is over, you lost, lose with dignity you clown". It's not suppose to be nice. It's suppose to be blunt
SS is sensitive about anything

Or just an annoying contrarian to anything whatsoever.

It's both a lot of times.
No bruh he said L, not K

Can't comment on anything about the thread cuz images are blocked at work, I assume it's about a guy that can't take an L
Soundcloud rapper flew a woman out, he broke as fuck, she shits on him, he takes it to twitter, she releases a recording of their convos, he can't take the L at all. He has now said he's broke because his dad has cancer. No one knows if he's serious.

I suppose making an L out of Obama faces counts as blunt.

You can be blunt and nice. It's called tact. Telling someone to take the L (when that's all that's said) isn't. I find it odd so many people are against general niceties. The person saying "take the L" is literally a poor winner.

I suppose making an L out of Obama faces counts as blunt.

You can be blunt and nice. It's called tact. Telling someone to take the L (when that's all that's said) isn't. I find it odd so many people are against general niceties. The person saying "take the L" is literally a poor winner.

- It's not that serious
- The goal isn't to be nice
- People telling you to take the L arent the ones who hand it to you.
- It's really not that serious

SS is sensitive about anything

Or just an annoying contrarian to anything whatsoever.

It's both a lot of times.

Soundcloud rapper flew a woman out, he broke as fuck, she shits on him, he takes it to twitter, she releases a recording of their convos, he can't take the L at all. He has now said he's broke because his dad has cancer. No one knows if he's serious.
He's going to start a new crown funding business for simps called "save a bro" just you watch

- It's not that serious
- The goal isn't to be nice
- People telling you to take the L arent the ones who hand it to you.
- It's really not that serious

Why can't the goal be to be nice? You can still be blunt and nice (as already said), it just comes down to how well you can communicate. Of course anyone can say it but it still evokes the winning side position.

You say it's not serious but it is annoying. You would probably say it isn't until someone for no reason just responds with "hold that L". It's probably why a lot of people on GAF don't post on free-message boards because it's filled with that shit and deep-down, most people can't stand it, so I highly suspect "it's not serious".

Why can't the goal be to be nice?

Because it's not that serious

Of course anyone can say it but it still evokes the winning side position.

It's mostly said in hopes they stop embrassing themselves.

You say it's not serious but it is annoying. You would probably say it isn't until someone for no reason just responds with "hold that L".

If you can take an L you rarely run into this phrase. It's highlighting people who can just accept they lost and leave it be.

It's probably why a lot of people on GAF don't post on free-message boards because it's filled with that shit and deep-down, most people can't stand it, so I highly suspect "it's not serious".

Okay if you say so.

Because it's not that serious

It's mostly said in hopes they stop embrassing themselves.

If you can take an L you rarely run into this phrase. It's highlighting people who can just accept they lost and leave it be.

Okay if you say so.

You say the bolded but this thread is an example of the opposite.

People can take the L, you just assume the response is bad or embarrassing because you don't want to deal with conversation.

Again, you say it's not serious without explaining how overusing a meme by lots of people to tell 1 person they've lost isn't serious. I suspect it's serious for that 1 person just how dog-piling is whether the topic is innocuous or serious.

Top Bottom