• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Importance of Taking an L

LionPride

Banned
You say the bolded but this thread is an example of the opposite.

People can take the L, you just assume the response is bad or embarrassing because you don't want to deal with conversation.

Again, you say it's not serious without explaining how overusing a meme by lots of people to tell 1 person they've lost isn't serious. I suspect it's serious for that 1 person just how dog-piling is whether the topic is innocuous or serious.
Typically, people who take an L, and are told to take the L, are dumbasses who show they ass for the world to see. Is it a dog-piling because some idiot said dumb shit?

Shit's not serious to anyone but....oh wait you

Typically, people who take an L, and are told to take the L, are dumbasses who show they ass for the world to see. Is it a dog-piling because some idiot said dumb shit?

Shit's not serious to anyone but....oh wait you

You assume their dumbasses because... you believe they are? Dog-piling is a group of people harping on another for any reason.

-Because this thread is not serious. Post 1 is a twittee joke post.

People can take the L, you just assume the response is bad or embarrassing because you don't want to deal with conversation.

Okay if you say so

Again, you say it's not serious without explaining how overusing a meme by lots of people to tell 1 person they've lost isn't serious.

If you publically air your dirty laundry why you gon be mad when people publically comment? Perhaps shut the fuck up if you dot want people tahm bout you?

I suspect it's serious for that 1 person just how dog-piling is whether the topic is innocuous or serious.

Okay Sherlock okay.

-Because this thread is not serious. Post 1 is a twittee joke post.

Okay if you say so

If you publically air your dirty laundry why you gon be mad when people publically comment? Perhaps shut the fuck up if you dot want people tahm bout you?

Okay Sherlock okay.

I think a little empathy would go a long way. If you don't believe someone could feel upset over a couple, a few, or even more people telling them to "take the L" while they all believe he's just a dumbass then I don't know what to tell you. You do you I suppose?

I think a little empathy would go a long way.

It's not that serious

If you don't believe someone could feel upset over a couple, a few, or even more people telling them to "take the L" while they all believe he's just a dumbass then I don't know what to tell you. You do you I suppose?

Once you're at the point where tons of people are telling you to take the L maybe it's time to consider not digging a deeper hole.

You're being pretty silly over here. I'm sure if I dig through your posting history I can find examples of you lacking empathy while making comments way more off base than "take the L"

It's not that serious man.

It's not that serious

Once you're at the point where tons of people are telling you to take the L maybe it's time to consider not digging a deeper hole.

You're being pretty silly over here. I'm sure if I dig through your posting history I can find examples of you lacking empathy while making comments way more off base than "take the L"

It's not that serious man.

Or engaging them is a good solution. Again, you're still under the assumption that because someone said "take the L" the receiver is in the wrong.

You could dig deep and find things I regret saying. You could do that for anyone, I've learned from my mistakes.

You have yet to explain why it's OK except for "it's not serious" and "[trust me] they said some dumb things". If you want to continue that route, just PM me, we can save the message board some post numbers by not repeating the same thing.

rec0ded1

I trained hard and took all the Ls early in life in order to build immunity to Ls as an adult.

It didn't work.

Edit: just read the previous thread pages and damn. Lol

LordKasual

Banned
So you disagree with the statement because it has existed before 2017? You're not making a solid argument at all.

You don't understand the phrase or its uses very well if you think this is some new "internet fad" that recently cropped up.

you seem to think it's purely mean spirited or wrong. It's just a difference in culture i suppose.

but it really isnt that serious

LionPride

Banned
You don't understand the phrase or its uses very well if you think this is some new "internet fad" that recently cropped up.

you seem to think it's purely mean spirited or wrong. It's just a difference in culture i suppose.

but it really isnt that serious
It"s just SS bein SS tbh

Subpar, it's not that serious. It's ok.

Just 👏 take 👏 the 👏 L 👏

I don't even say Jmon tho :(

Jmon is the lamest wannabe meme I can think of. But through sheer insistence, it seems FZZ has managed to make it take root here on gaf, ever so slightly. I guess I'll just have to hold that L

Again, you say it's not serious without explaining how overusing a meme by lots of people to tell 1 person they've lost isn't serious. I suspect it's serious for that 1 person just how dog-piling is whether the topic is innocuous or serious.

Are you an AI?

Because this is some serious Turing Test level stuff

Hopeford

I'll take a huge L here and admit to being super dumb:

I first heard taking that L on GAf, and I think it was in relation to the year of Luigi. So naturally, dumbass me thought that taking an L stood for Luigi. As in, "You just Luigi'd super hard man. C'mon step your game up."

I think it took me like a solid week until I heard it used in real life to be like "OH. THAT'S SO LESS FUNNY THAN I THOUGHT IT WAS ALSO I'M A FUCKING IDIOT."

NandoGip

If you end up in a position where people are clowning you on the internet, the best reaction is no reaction. Just log off for the day, and move on with your life.

Googled it (not from the US) and noticed it was also explained on the first page. Are three extra letters really too much trouble in this abbreviations and nicknames obsessed country?

wildfire

Banned
This is bad advice. There are people who have proven time and again you can shift blame or score a victory with a smart comeback. Knowing the limits isn't an easy thing to teach.

It's not supposed to be funny guys. And it's not a damn meme, it's slang that black folks have been using since before GAF was even a thing.
It's to get people to:
- Take it on the chin
- Bite the bullet
- Charge it to the game
- Or Swallow your pride and move on

Malyse

We don't take Ls on NeoGAF, bro.
You probably have the least ground to make that statement, Thor 2: The Dark World.
Anytime someone says "take the L" to anyone I can only assume that person is an insufferable douchebag. Like, you're just throwing salt in the wound. It's super petty and I just think less of you as a the person.

Look at the responses given to me saying someone who says it is petty. They're insufferable. The message isn't to help them get past anything or accept their wrongdoing, it's to rub it in their face in an obnoxious way. Communication skills aren't everyone's forte but at least folks should try.

So you disagree with the statement because it has existed before 2017? You're not making a solid argument at all.

I suppose making an L out of Obama faces counts as blunt.

You can be blunt and nice. It's called tact. Telling someone to take the L (when that's all that's said) isn't. I find it odd so many people are against general niceties. The person saying "take the L" is literally a poor winner.

Why can't the goal be to be nice? You can still be blunt and nice (as already said), it just comes down to how well you can communicate. Of course anyone can say it but it still evokes the winning side position.

You say it's not serious but it is annoying. You would probably say it isn't until someone for no reason just responds with "hold that L". It's probably why a lot of people on GAF don't post on free-message boards because it's filled with that shit and deep-down, most people can't stand it, so I highly suspect "it's not serious".

You know what? Ima reverse my stance. Toa you alright in my book. SS, this thread was meant for you specifically. Hold the L and stop posting.

Sullichin

It's not supposed to be funny guys. And it's not a damn meme, it's slang that black folks have been using since before GAF was even a thing.
It's to get people to:
- Take it on the chin
- Bite the bullet
- Charge it to the game
- Or Swallow your pride and move on
Yeah sorry, but it's absolutely a meme now regardless of origin

Top Bottom