• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Intercept: NSA report details Russian hacking effort days before 2016 US election

Mully

grain of salt:

That's not how reporting works. Most likely The Intercept contacted the NSA to corroborate details, and the NSA likely figured out who leaked the document based on their own investigation. The NSA does not fuck around with internal documents since Snowden.

The Snowden and Manning leaks made the NSA revamp their entire contractor network infrastructure. Before those leaks, the NSA and State had very wide open networks for their contractors. Any contractor/grunt with a security clearance could open up a variety of files, documents, etc.

Following 9/11, the NSA and most of the IC wanted to ensure that counter terrorism investigators could access any and all information and documents at anytime. Part of 9/11 was blamed on the lack of intelligence sharing, even between different floors in the CIA, so the IC thought it would be best to allow anyone to access anything to prevent the next attack, unfortunately for them, it seems they left themselves open to leakers like Snowden and Manning.

Since then, both have made it a point to extremely compartmentalize anything and everything. The NSA knows what a contractor saw and can figure out quickly if a worker abused their power (like spying on an ex) or leaked documents.

The Intercept did not burn a source, they did their job by confirming certain aspects of the document with the NSA. The NSA likely figured out who leaked that document based on their new information sharing procedures and infrastructure with contractors.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised that the NSA knew who leaked the documents before The Intercept contacted them. Based on reporting by the Times and NPR over the last few years, it's clear that the NSA in particular is very proactive in investigating any and all suspicious activity committed by their own agents or contractors.

Cirion

Banned
Bernie is just a useful idiot. Jill Stein, though...

Yes. Bernie, who campaigned tirelessly for months for Hilldawg after his primary defeat, who is calling out Trump for his shit on a daily basis, including all the Russia stuff and the attempts at cover up, is a "useful idiot" for the Russians. EVERYONE who ever dared to speak against YAAS KWEEN was a useful idiot if not directly working for Russia.

Do you know who was probably also a useful idiot for Russia, maybe was on Putins payroll? Hillary. Surely something is fishy about the absolutely godawful campaign she rolled out? "I'm with her?". Nope. Plant. Girl wanted Trump to win.

Charging her with Espionage is straight up Erdogan level. Jeff Sessions is an evil, vile liar. This is how you instill fear in everyone who is possibly in a position to leak all the inhuman, criminal the government does.

Moofers

Bu bu bu hard left progressives have been telling me for months that the Russians didn't hack our election and that its stupid to even entertain the idea!

Cirion

Banned
Bu bu bu hard left progressives have been telling me for months that the Russians didn't hack our election and that its stupid to even entertain the idea!

Which was up until now the official stance of the IC and the respectable media outlets on this matter and there was no information indicating otherwise. But surely you had better informed sources the whole time, instead of pulling things out of your ass?

kirblar

Yes. Bernie, who campaigned tirelessly for months for Hilldawg after his primary defeat, who is calling out Trump for his shit on a daily basis, including all the Russia stuff and the attempts at cover up, is a "useful idiot" for the Russians. EVERYONE who ever dared to speak against YAAS KWEEN was a useful idiot if not directly working for Russia.

Do you know who was probably also a useful idiot for Russia, maybe was on Putins payroll? Hillary. Surely something is fishy about the absolutely godawful campaign she rolled out? "I'm with her?". Nope. Plant. Girl wanted Trump to win.

Charging her with Espionage is straight up Erdogan level. Jeff Sessions is an evil, vile liar. This is how you instill fear in everyone who is possibly in a position to leak all the inhuman, criminal the government does.
Why is it that gay men using a gay catchphrase got under your skin so much?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Which was up until now the official stance of the IC and the respectable media outlets on this matter and there was no information indicating otherwise. But surely you had better informed sources the whole time, instead of pulling things out of your ass?

I find it fascinating that you complain about pulling things out of your ass, yet posted this literally 1 post before.

Opto

Banned
I'm guessing the response will be : Russia didn't try to hack us but we need to prosecute the leaker

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Damn, i guess that adds some validity to the report if someone got arrested for espionage. If the NSA has intel like this, they really need to combine their powers with other agencies and get the ball rolling. I am sure they are working exhaustively on the case, but how deep this all goes is nuts. The public at some point has a genuine right to know.

Like if they are sitting on this type of information, I cannot imagine what else is out there, and in aggregate must be way outside the spectrum we are all thinking.

and leave the bernie talk out of here. jfc

Kevtones

The leaker leaked the fake intelligence.
This fake intelligence was produced by a real intelligence officer who faked his reporting on real Russian interference that was used for fake news.
Whether or not the fake news was real or not is not the issue, it is a real leak and that is real espionage unless deemed fake by real fake news reporting that's deemed real if favorably non-fake.

Cirion

Banned
Why is it that gay men using a gay catchphrase got under your skin so much?

What do you mean? Yass Queen? Hilldawg? Whatever you mean, I don't even know the origin of the phrase. I never once experienced it in any context with gay people or gay themes but always as a hollow and annoying inofficial marketing phrase and battle cry for the Clinton campaign, wholly devoid of any further meaning. What I know is that it was, just like "I'm with her", a stupid and inept one to take and try to drum up support with the campaign. It's a symbol of the utter selfcenteredness of the whole Clinton campaign. (inb4 go to her website)

Of course we both know you are most likely looking for a possible angle to drum up homophobia charges to discredit my entirely valid comments on some inept Anti-Bernie/Greenwald/Intercept conspiracy comments in this thread. Weak. I will not comment further on Bernie/Hillary stuff, because I have in difference to others no interest in senselessly dragging Bernie in a thread about revelations about possible Russian election hacking and the tragic burning of a whistleblower and the expected irrational legal hatred the Sessions/Trump side will throw at her.

I find it fascinating that you complain about pulling things out of your ass, yet posted this literally 1 post before.

You realize my Hillary = Russian agent line was to make fun of dumb conspiracy theories about everyone being a Russian agent? I really think it's true, though, that Putin couldn't have hoped for a worse campaign against his pal Trump.

Look this campaign is more like a M Night movie when it comes to twists. Bernie being the mastermind is WWE levels and 45's campaign is not at that level.

All opinions, like people, are not born equal. Let's not even entertain this one.

This fake intelligence was produced by a real intelligence officer who faked his reporting on real Russian interference that was used for fake news.
Whether or not the fake news was real or not is not the issue, it is a real leak and that is real espionage unless deemed fake by real fake news reporting that's deemed real if favorably non-fake.
the fuck

this shows that if you paste in the word fake enough times into any story, you can flip everything to confirm your own fixed view. Just make sure the chain of inversions end up at the right place.
And thats what they are doing now.

btw Assange is calling for the head of the intercept reporter. Because its all about him.

Ottaro

So why is so much of the media surrounding this seem more focused on the leaker rather than the leak itself? Seems really bizarre considering the content of what was leaked. I'm also surprised this thread is as short as it is.

For people who think that the leaker was part of the constant leaks against Trump: WRONG

For people who think that she was secretly working for the Russians: WRONG

What is much more likely:

She was a newbie NSA contractor that thought she could get away with leaking a big scoop to the press that she literally saw was recently as May 5th. The only press outlet that would bite is the intercept because she was not the usual source of leaks and because the intercept was stupid enough to run with a story that would clearly be easily traced back to the leaker. The intercept decided to contact the NSA to have them corroborate the main details (because that's what journalists do), which according to the article they did under the condition that key details were omitted which the intercept agreed to. NSA then was able to IMMEDIATELY figure out who leaked this shit, because it was a goddamn newbie, and turned them over to the FBI, because their reaction can best be described as "Hey what the fuck are you doing? We are still fucking investigating that shit."

Any questions?

For people who think that the leaker was part of the constant leaks against Trump: WRONG

For people who think that she was secretly working for the Russians: WRONG

What is much more likely:

She was a newbie NSA contractor that thought she could get away with leaking a big scoop to the press that she literally saw was recently as May 5th. The only press outlet that would bite is the intercept because she was not the usual source of leaks and because the intercept was stupid enough to run with a story that would clearly be easily traced back to the leaker. The intercept decided to contact the NSA to have them corroborate the main details (because that's what journalists do), which according to the article they did under the condition that key details were omitted which the intercept agreed to. NSA then was able to IMMEDIATELY figure out who leaked this shit, because it was a goddamn newbie, and turned them over to the FBI, because their reaction can best be described as "Hey what the fuck are you doing? We are still fucking investigating that shit."

Any questions?

So she was a Chinese spy?

Cirion

Banned
And? This is news why? By this standard, most of Neogaf should be jailed.

What's with these absolutely ridiculous chains by the way? Is this standard in America? Seems like pure, pointless humiliation. And lol at that "INMATE" sign. Just watched yesterday some documentaries about German and then about US prisons. Latter ones were ALL horrible, dehumanizing hellholes built on fear and punishment.

Solari also said a laptop belonging to Winner and seized by federal agents contained software that could enable her to access online black-markets and buy items — such as a fake ID or passport — without revealing her identity or location.

Shocking. Or she may have used it to circumvent Netflix geoblocking. But it's probably because she was hired by Iran to mail a single document to the Intercept, amirite?

kirblar

Apparently the NSA leaker sent it to the Intercept because they were annoyed at their claims of "No Proof". https://twitter.com/Wilson__Valdez/status/874443116400476160

https://t.co/PtjcQ3LZyi

DCKk3TpVoAAsh7t.jpg

When will people wise up to their game. They picked a side
Interesting priorities you guys have considering what he is responding to.
One can be both angered by Russian interference in our election and also angered by thinly-veiled homophobia at the same time!

Sam Biddle @samfbiddle
·
12m

very very important: there’s nothing in the NSA report indicating the actual voting machines or vote tabulations were compromised

^ one of the reporters on this story

Means jack. Take people off the rolls and you done some damage without altering machines or tabulations.

Chumly

Top Bottom