• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Intercept: NSA report details Russian hacking effort days before 2016 US election

Hacking voter registration is very interesting and actually seems plausible. There's no same day registration so people would show up to find out they can't vote. Still if they did this in any degree of scale there would be backlash. You can't manipulate 1000s of registrations and expect there to be no scandal or investigation.

Happened to people during the primary in my exes district and dozens walked away until people threw a shit fit and got "provisional" ballots that probably got thrown in the fucking trash. When she and others posted about it on FB people called them liars and tin foil hat crazies.

This wouldn't be the first, second, or even tenth time someone shady kicked people off registration rolls.

androvsky

The thing I don't get with claims like this... is how are they so certain? I mean is it a fact?..or just belief? (believing someone did something is very different to have the proof they actually did it).

Tracking specific hackers certainly isn't easy if they know what they are doing. You'd think if Russian Military Intelligence are that good at hacking, then surely they should be just as good at covering their tracks? We know the CIA has the ability to make it look like their hacks were done by Russia/China/whoever...so you'd think Russia would have the same skill set/ability. Unless Russia wants the US to know it was them.

There's some subtle forensic stuff that can be done with enough data, since there were Word documents, emails and so on. But in the end, if they're really sure, there's a decent chance they've got some intercepted communications on Russia's end discussing the operation.

cakely

Reality Winner?

If this was a work of fiction I would have written it off as parody in the middle of last year.

Mark L

Am I wrong for thinking, "Thank god she's white"? Now they can only use the sexist dog whistles, not the racist ones they've used against Susan Rice, Loretta Lynch, and Maxine Waters, so Trump and co. can't damage the credibility of the story that way.

How sad that we've come to that point...

You're not wrong.

Joe

grain of salt:

HnzwTF4.png

Why do some think that they can derail the thread by telling people to get over it, as if that will just make the implications go away.

Joe

A 25 year old risked prison time to let us know. It's amazing.

It's also amazing that Trump knew of all this information and is still bending over backwards for Russia.

Red

It's also amazing that Trump knew of all this information and is still bending over backwards for Russia.
I think this is why he is bending over backwards for Russia.

Joe

The Intercept has stated they didn't know the identity of their source.
They didn't have to, meta information (such as page folds) can be the next big thing.

Though, she apparently didn't do a good job herself of covering her own tracks either.

It seems there are two threads about the same article so I'm gonna post this here as well:

Pro-Tip: Don't post The Intercept as a source. They are a crazy conspiracy website. The intelligence agencies that all say the Russians hacked the democrats also say there is absolutely no evidence that the Russians hacked the actual votes.

Buying into the idea that the actual votes were hacked only helps assholes like Jill Stein trick you into giving her 9 million dollars for nothing.

EDIT: Ignore this post. I realize I got it wrong after seeing that they provided proof and that CBS has confirmed it.

Even before your edit, Glenn Greenwald won a pulitzer for the work he did at the Guardian as a precursor to The Intercept, so I dunno where your post even starts to make sense at all.

They're not a conspiracy site.

Also, The Intercept's verification process informed the NSA of the leak, and the leaker got themselves arrested pretty much immediately.

That so many people are skeptical of The Intercept is pretty surprising to me, though it really shouldn't be in 2017.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Tracking specific hackers certainly isn't easy if they know what they are doing. You'd think if Russian Military Intelligence are that good at hacking, then surely they should be just as good at covering their tracks? We know the CIA has the ability to make it look like their hacks were done by Russia/China/whoever...so you'd think Russia would have the same skill set/ability. Unless Russia wants the US to know it was them.

They're hacking on an industrial scale lately so mistakes do happen.

However there were articles that they aren't trying to cover their tracks much anymore because there isn't going to be any consequences anyway.

It's not like Trump will do anything right?

They've stolen docs through Snowden, they stole CIA and NSA tools and they got their stooge elected. They are pretty much trolling the US at this point.

Oersted

We all watched him on stage, asking Russia to hack. Trump couldn't have been less blatant but we all looked the other way.

sangreal

The Intercept has stated they didn't know the identity of their source.

So? They knew it came from the NSA and they certainly knew the consequences for the source. Still, they turned the document over to the NSA to verify its authenticity. Incredibly irresponsible

As for the grains of salt, the warrant itself spells it out for everyone to see

The News Outlet provided the U.S. Government Agency with a copy of this document.
Subsequent analysis by the U.S. Government Agency confirmed that the document in the News
Outlet's possession is the intelligence reporting.

The U.S. Government Agency examined the document shared by the News Outlet
and determined the pages of the intelligence reporting appeared to be folded and/or creased,
suggesting they had been printed and hand-carried out of a secured space.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/971331/download

I've got no problem with prosecuting people who leak classified information that isn't criminal in nature, but it is a really, really bad look for the Intercept

I thought you guys were going off on another twitter meme, so Ignored 2-3 pages in this thread, but her name is actually Reality Winner.

But more importantly this is the first piece of evidence that actually suggests there may have actually been tampering with the voter election system. I doubt though we'll ever get an investigation on this because I think government officials do not want to taint the actual totals and results. If the Russians did indeed successfully penetrate into the voting election system we won't find out about for many years later once Trump is long out of office.

Zubz

Banned
Reality Winner is a hero, with a perfect hero name to boot! I know she was arrested, but I hope she isn't charged.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
She should be freed right now. Working against a corrupt Russian controlled administration is not being a criminal. It's exposing the filth.

So? They knew it came from the NSA and they certainly knew the consequences for the leaker. Still, they turned the document over to the NSA to verify its authenticity. Incredibly irresponsible

It just seems weird to already cast judgement on their handling of the source within hours of the story going live. You could certainly be right, but it seems more reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt considering how many stories like this they've published. This isn't their first rodeo.

It's nice to know all of this right now but I'm not sure I get the people praising Winner as a hero. She didn't expose Edward Snowden levels of shit and the document she leaked was classified for a reason. I want this investigation to play out properly so there is no chance of something being screwed up and guilty parties getting away with something they shouldn't.

An explosive report. Imagine what else is known behind closed doors? This puts Donald Trump's denial of Russian interference in an even worse light. What loyal citizen of the United States would behave in such a manner? There is something disturbing here and I hope it sees the light of day and burns in it.

Putin 's reckless meddling will blow back on him. He has fermented (anti-Russian sentiment among Americans and the western world in a way there hasn't been for a long time.

Chococat

I might remember wrong but I thought the intelligence guys said there was no evidence of this kind of thing in the House hearings?

Intelligence guys deal with intelligence, not evidence. We have to wait till the evidence guys finish building their case to see the actual evidence that was gathered by following intelligence leads.

At least that is how I understand it after watching the hearings.

chekhonte

Hasn't affected him one bit except it has. You want me to go down the list?

7) Constant leaks are happening from the IC, the FBI, and even the White House itself, because Trump as a leader does not inspire confidence. When Comey was fired, the Washington Post LITERALLY had 30 (yes THIRTY) different sources from the FBI all lining up to talk to them about the firing. Think about that for a moment THIRTY DIFFERENT SOURCES.

Like, yes Trump's hardcore fanbase would literally jump off a cliff if Trump told them to, but Trump and the GOP didn't win last year off of just those voters.

We hope that this constant stream of leaking is just because of Trump. It may not stop. The era of constant scandals may be a permanent fixture of american politics forever.

MrGerbils

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/871841372239802368

Ummmm, am I reading this right? Did Greenwald turn in a leaker? I've always thought he was a giant piece of shit, but now he's giant piece of shit and a hypocrite.

She was one of five people who printed the document from a work computer. She didn't have a reason to print. I think this was pretty easy for them to put together.

I don't see where you're jumping to he idea that he "turned her in."

That works for me. I just roll my eyes every time I see or hear 45.

I do it because A) he's is in for name awareness only and I'm not giving him that and B) because that IS the position he has and people really need to remember that this is not some normal tantrum child running amok. This is a position in which only a few dozen people have held power, and that means any damage done by him will be significant, long-term, and probably permanent in some ways.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but he IS the 45th President Of The United States of America. It is the office that Americans elected him to, and it is where he does his damage to Putin's America. Calling him by his old life just makes it seem as he isn't elected to the worst possible position he could have.

Also I'm tired of seeing his name and honestly just want it gone at this point. So 45 it is. I expect to switch to 46 soonish though.

jelly

It's nice to know all of this right now but I'm not sure I get the people praising Winner as a hero. She didn't expose Edward Snowden levels of shit and the document she leaked was classified for a reason. I want this investigation to play out properly so there is no chance of something being screwed up and guilty parties getting away with something they shouldn't.

Yeah, torn on this I hope it hasn't scuppered anything in the investigation. It's great to read things like this that edge Trump to the door but need to let the investigation get it right and not give the Russians/Trump an out.

She must be doomed, don't think the US is kind to leakers at all.

sgjackson

seeing this news break while i'm listening to a recorded college lecture about the difference between legality and ethicality is surreal

Top Bottom