• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaaraz

Agreed, it's ludicrous that Apple charge so much for storage now, and to have 16GB as a baseline for their tablets and phones which they aim as being 'Premium' devices is nothing short of a joke.

ToxicAdam

I hope they have an LED logo of '128GB' flashing on the back of it. How will my friends know my status as a baller if it looks like the poor man's version?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I have the iPad version of Tiny Wings. It doesn't share high scores with the iPhone, does it?

Holy cow I didn't know there was an iPad version of Tiny Wings, luckily there's already 200+ (just checked) of us with the iPhone version and it's also just 99c if new people want to participate, but it'a very shady of the dev to have made an HD app after such a long time instead of making it universal.

I doubt they share scores, if you can you could add me on GC (Dash Kappei GAF) and just play a game of Tiny Wings HD for a couple of minutes so I can check that out in the weekly/daily friends leaderboards (unless you've already played it this week). You're up to it?

Silvawuff

That's way too much for an ipad. I agree that the turnover on new models is ridiculous, but that is the nature of the beast. On the upside, at least the resell value on Apple products isn't terrible.

I'll wait for the iPad 15, due out next year sometime.

I really love using Apple products, but there are decisions like this that really don't make me like Apple sometimes. The pricing on the iPad mini and this new 128GB iPad are simply ridiculous.

It's almost time for me to get a new Mac too-my current iMac is getting a bit long in the tooth-and the fact that you can barely upgrade them is getting to irk me. You can't replace the hard drive in the iMacs now-so if you want a higher capacity than standard config you have to pay the outrageous Apple Tax. It sucks-I keep thinking that at some point they'll make the storage prices reasonable...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Holy cow I didn't know there was an iPad version of Tiny Wings, luckily there's already 200+ (just checked) of us with the iPhone version and it's also just 99c if new people want to participate, but it'a very shady of the dev to have made an HD app after such a long time instead of making it universal.

I doubt they share scores, if you can you could add me on GC (Dash Kappei GAF) and just play a game of Tiny Wings HD for a couple of minutes so I can check that out in the weekly/daily friends leaderboards (unless you've already played it this week). You're up to it?

Tiny Wings / HD have different leaderboards. As soon as it's a different 'SKU' so-to-speak of a game there's a different board.

In relation to February's |OT| - having spoken with Dash, I'll host it and Dash will handle the iOS Challenges part in a 'post #2' dealio if you will. That way things can be updated independently of one another. (The Membership list, we're still in planning around this with Fuu, we'll possibly collaborate on for sake of convenience)

Mairu

I really love using Apple products, but there are decisions like this that really don't make me like Apple sometimes. The pricing on the iPad mini and this new 128GB iPad are simply ridiculous.

It's almost time for me to get a new Mac too-my current iMac is getting a bit long in the tooth-and the fact that you can barely upgrade them is getting to irk me. You can't replace the hard drive in the iMacs now-so if you want a higher capacity than standard config you have to pay the outrageous Apple Tax. It sucks-I keep thinking that at some point they'll make the storage prices reasonable...

The price gouging on increased storage is definitely ridiculous. Ideally they'd just make the minimum for the next iPads 32gb but with them charging so much for 128gb I don't really see that happening

PFD

Yea there was a big controversy when they released the HD app. Their reasoning was that the iPhone 2.0 update was free instead of being a separate 'Tiny Wings 2' app, and the iPad version comes with exclusive features (split-screen multiplayer.)

At any rate, I just added you on GC, and will play a game shortly.

GAF's iOS Challenge: discussion/prepping stages

We're at the suggestions stage, so let's choose our game.
To kickstart the challenges again I wanted to warm things up with a massively popular game, so I was thinking of having a laugh with 'ole Tiny Wings which we never used in the end. I know some vocal gaffers won't agree but we can pick a different, less popular and newer game for the next challenge after this one has helped make things pick up steam again. I have almost 200 gaffers with the game already, so the challenge would be epic.
You can still propose a different game of course, either for this one or the next challenge.

If you want to propose a game remember to follow these guidelines:

• popular game which doesn't cost more than $1.99
• score based with no IAPs to boost score/skills/etc
• reasonable time needed to chase an uber highscore (let's say 15 minutes)
• no separate HD and iPhone apps

Here we go.
Remember to add me (Dash Kappei GAF) on Game Center to be a part of the challenges but do so only if you agree with the rules posted in the 2nd (or 3rd?) post of this thread. Everything will be laid out in next month's OP anyway.

Would it surprise anyone if I suggested a jukebeat or REFLEC BEAT + challenge? Would even be totally free if the song choice is limited to the ones that come with the app, and chasing a score only requires a commitment of 2 minutes. Score submission would have to be via screenshot though since the Game Center leaderboards for both games are cumulative.

MasLegio

Banned
Ok, back for good and I'm ready to handle the iOS membership LIST and iOS Challenges again...
come back to papa guys :)
Already spoke to Tunesmith and Fuu about the changes to do in the OP.

Anyway, let's do this:
I've been contacted by some devs already this past week but I'm not sure their games are suited for a fair challenge so maybe we could use them for the prizes/promotion, I need to see how that pans out.

GAF's iOS Challenge: discussion/prepping stages

We're at the suggestions stage, so let's choose our game.
To kickstart the challenges again I wanted to warm things up with a massively popular game, so I was thinking of having a laugh with 'ole Tiny Wings which we never used in the end. I know some vocal gaffers won't agree but we can pick a different, less popular and newer game for the next challenge after this one has helped make things pick up steam again. I have almost 200 gaffers with the game already, so the challenge would be epic.
You can still propose a different game of course, either for this one or the next challenge.

If you want to propose a game remember to follow these guidelines:

• popular game which doesn't cost more than $1.99
• score based with no IAPs to boost score/skills/etc
• reasonable time needed to chase an uber highscore (let's say 15 minutes)
• no separate HD and iPhone apps

Here we go.
Remember to add me (Dash Kappei GAF) on Game Center to be a part of the challenges but do so only if you agree with the rules posted in the 2nd (or 3rd?) post of this thread. Everything will be laid out in next month's OP anyway.

Pinball Arcade with whatever table that is currently free

this is a bit old but I just noticed that Spacechem is 50% off
http://appshopper.com/games/spacechem-mobile

hyp

clash of heroes is heroin. not a good sign when you can go from a full Pad charge down to 20% in a single session.

PFD

If you're struggling with lack of space on your idevice give PhoneClean a try. It's a free PC software, doesn't require jailbreak, and will scan your device for junk files, left overs, sync-failed files etc and let you clean them. After you do an initial scan, you get to choose which apps you want to clean. It will remove cached magazines, so I unchecked my digital magazine apps for example.

All in all, it helped me clear 2.26GB on my 64gig iPad.

ia5GRfR.png

Kunan

clash of heroes is heroin. not a good sign when you can go from a full Pad charge down to 20% in a single session.
I barely looked up or noticed an 8 hour greyhound trip when I played it on DS back in the day. So damned good!

Flunkie

Banned
If you're struggling with lack of space on your idevice give PhoneClean a try. It's a free PC software, doesn't require jailbreak, and will scan your device for junk files, left overs, sync-failed files etc and let you clean them. After you do an initial scan, you get to choose which apps you want to clean. It will remove cached magazines, so I unchecked my digital magazine apps for example.

http://i.imgur.com/ia5GRfR.png[/MG][/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks. Downloading now.

hyp

I barely looked up or noticed an 8 hour greyhound trip when I played it on DS back in the day. So damned good!

yes, it's a great game. can't relate to the "control issues" some are experiencing. if anything, folks need to slow the pace down and you'll be just fine.

Fusebox

Banned
I borrowed an iPad mini from work for a bit.

TWEWY is WAY better on the mini imo. The graphics scale better, it's easier to reach all over the screen and dat light system weight, mmm.

colinp

Banned
I borrowed an iPad mini from work for a bit.

TWEWY is WAY better on the mini imo. The graphics scale better, it's easier to reach all over the screen and dat light system weight, mmm.

Is that the iPad native TWEWY? There are two versions, right?

Fjordson

Hey guys, sorry to ask about older games, but how do the Zeboyd games play on an iPhone (iPhone 5 to be specific)? Call of Cthulhu and Penny Arcade episode 3?

colinp

Banned
Yeah the iPad version. It isn't retina so the Mini display is more forgiving that it isn't native res.

Yeah, I've got a mini but TWEWY for iPhone.. Some day I'll probably double dip but not in any rush to at the moment, though I'm glad to hear it plays well.

SteveWD40

Hey guys, sorry to ask about older games, but how do the Zeboyd games play on an iPhone (iPhone 5 to be specific)? Call of Cthulhu and Penny Arcade episode 3?

Playable but not a very good touch interface, you can't select spells directly with touch for example.

SteveWD40

Ah, interesting. Thought it'd be neat to have 'em on the go, but I'll probably just grab 'em on PC. Thanks.

I have them on PC and found the 360 controller was easily the best way to play so recommend that, keyboard was ok as well though. I think zeboyd have to polish their iOS porting skills tbh.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

ia5GRfR.png

Oh wow, I've been looking for something like this for ages, I have gigs of junk data on my 16gig devices.

I'm all for Tiny Wings iOS Challenge.

Seems like it'd be harder to find an appropriate game now that everything is going freemium. For example Half Inch Heist is really fun and would be great except everyone is going to wonder who did and didn't buy continues. And then a lot of games like Temple Run 2 have upgrades you have to buy, so people who have more time/ patience to grind would be at an advantage.

I definitely participate as long as the games are fun and fair though.

SteveWD40

Will it clean the RIDICULOUS Facebook and Flipboard "documents and data" bloat? when I try to clear Flipboards from the app it crashes, not sure you even can with Facebook.

Flipboards keeps growing as well, ended up deleting and re-installing when it hit the 1.5gb mark...

Marv_79

Neo Member
Upgrade my phone to an Iphone 5 this week and can no longer play clash of heroes. It crashes everytime I start campain. I'm not a happy bunny, I've waited so long for this game and now can't play it though it's on my phone :-(

After a nearly two month waiting period, REFLEC BEAT + has finally updated with two new music packs. A new pack was released for jukebeat on Monday.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Will it clean the RIDICULOUS Facebook and Flipboard "documents and data" bloat? when I try to clear Flipboards from the app it crashes, not sure you even can with Facebook.

Flipboards keeps growing as well, ended up deleting and re-installing when it hit the 1.5gb mark...

o_O I'm a somewhat 'religous' Facebook and Flipboard user and neither app ever go above ~100mb mark of "Documents & Data". How do you manage that? :D

dantehemi

I'm in for tiny wings, or any game challenge for that matter. I'm easy and don't really mind which game we use...just as lomg as there is challenges again, I really enjoyed them when we had them, and can't wait till we start them again.

SteveWD40

o_O I'm a somewhat 'religous' Facebook and Flipboard user and neither app ever go above ~100mb mark of "Documents & Data". How do you manage that? :D

Not sure, maybe I added / deleted too may Flipboard categories?

Just to be fair to zeboyd, it should be noted that they weren't involved in porting either game to iOS.

Fair enough, still the ports need more love.

emag

can't relate to the "control issues" some are experiencing. if anything, folks need to slow the pace down and you'll be just fine.

CoH (iPad) is not broken if you play while perfectly still. But it's practically impossible to delete units while riding the metro/subway/bus, as vibrations will cancel the long-press. The touch controls are generally poorly implemented all around (movement, conversation, menus). There's no doubt that DS version is much, much better.

Also, the "HD" art looks terrible on Retina iPads.

Kodiak33

Neo Member

Thanks!

Goli

So, it seems Square Enix is making Chaos Rings 3. Or at least something that involves the people behind Chaos Rings (1) and its manga's scenario, since an interview conducted by Famitsu with two of SE's mobile division's producers was posted online and then tweeted by Famitsu's account with Synthese's twitter account retweeting it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone playing Symphonica? I noticed that there is a DLC sale, but I have no idea what the individual packs are... I'm getting the impression that the Complete Pack isn't actually all the DLC.

GeekyDad

So, it seems Square Enix is making Chaos Rings 3. Or at least something that involves the people behind Chaos Rings (1) and its manga's scenario, since an interview conducted by Famitsu with two of SE's mobile division's producers was posted online and then tweeted by Famitsu's account with Synthese's twitter account retweeting it.

Still can't bring myself to finish the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom